homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woden! Okay then, see you there, hopefully on time...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will go direct to Woden... Look forward to seeing u all there

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll be there. Looking forward to it too.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You do all realise I come from the darkest depths of the country? And may be overcome by the joy of it all? Lol

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, I do try to keep up with goings on here - I just don't post as often as I ought. Interestingly, I have been on the ship for ten years this month. It's been quite a ride.

Something that is, at least in part, inspired by The Ship, is a little project I'm doing called Pirate Church. It will be at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, 3-13 April. There are also Newcastle and Sydney shows on 14 and 15 April respectively.

So anyway, I just wanted youse to know so that if you're around those areas, you can come see and bring many dozens of paying friends.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
You know, I do try to keep up with goings on here - I just don't post as often as I ought. Interestingly, I have been on the ship for ten years this month. It's been quite a ride.

Something that is, at least in part, inspired by The Ship, is a little project I'm doing called Pirate Church. It will be at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, 3-13 April. There are also Newcastle and Sydney shows on 14 and 15 April respectively.

So anyway, I just wanted youse to know so that if you're around those areas, you can come see and bring many dozens of paying friends.

Let us know the dates of your New Zealand tour.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What? Not coming to Canberra, Jugs? The Pirate Capitol of Oz???? [Frown]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do keep us posted on when you're coming to Sydney, maybe we could organise a meet to come see your show.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
What? Not coming to Canberra, Jugs? The Pirate Capitol of Oz???? [Frown]

I'm trying to work out how on earth you came up with that title for our fair, landlocked city.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Full of Aaaarrrrrrrrr souls? No wait, that's Adelaide.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Do keep us posted on when you're coming to Sydney, maybe we could organise a meet to come see your show.

Preach it sister!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to Vulpior & partner, Orfeo, Rowen & Worm in the Grass who all made it to Hogs Breath along with TP & I for a shipmeet.

I'm afraid the fish burgers disagreed with TP & I, especially TP, so we made a rather precipitate exit. Sorry about that! Hope everyone else is ok - be glad you didn't pick the fish, shippies. I am now about to curl up with my sleepy drugs again, and dream of having a normal sized nose. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

orfeo

# 13878

Sorry to hear that. My salmon shows no signs so far of disagreeing with me, but you had a different species.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

It was a good meet

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes. Choose meat if you're going to Hog's Breath. TP's comment, after a night of heartburn was: "Well, that's what you get for going to a Bogan Restaurant."

And that's what you get if you leave the choice to a Bogan. Next time, someone else choose the venue! [Disappointed]

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for organising, BL, and sorry you suffered for it. Good to meet the locals and, of course, our honoured guest.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks to Vulpior & partner, Orfeo, Rowen & Worm in the Grass who all made it to Hogs Breath along with TP & I for a shipmeet.

We were there too. In spirit. Except it was the wrong Hogs Breath. Nice dinner but. In honour of kuruzapplet # 1's attainment of teenhood.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Glad it was a good time Zappa. I think because TP has been on such a low salt, low fat diet for so long (he has haemochromotosis), doing something as ordinary as battered fish with bun and chips really knocked him about.

Now rapidly devolving in his memory to "the night you tried to kill me in front of your SoF friends". [Disappointed]

He was the one who chose from the menu. I have witnesses!!!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Absolutely! He rushed into danger before any of us had a chance to stop him!

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely, one should be exempt from Dentistry for at least a year after having a heart attack. [Roll Eyes]

Man, it's busy. Writin a new cricket parody blog, trying to finish a series of novellas, edit a novel, run a house and somehow wishing for some more paid work.

Ooh, and heading to Perf in late March for Mr Curly Senior's 80th birthday. We could meet.

mr curly

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

And here they are.

Sorry its taken me so long to put this up. Bit snowed under with other deadlines and hurting stuff. All better now. [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today is the second anniversary of the fatal earthquake in Christchurch.

Sometimes it seems as if the two years have lasted a lifetime.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Today is the second anniversary of the fatal earthquake in Christchurch.

Sometimes it seems as if the two years have lasted a lifetime.

Huia

Next road cone I see I'll stick a flower in it.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Touching survivors' story in an NZ paper.

[Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gale now on of which i have never seen the like.

The rain is lashing the house from the west and making a mockery of the protection of the covered outdoor areas.

Just called the hospital to cancel my confirmation of 30 mins agao that I would be there to talk to the nursing staff on the role of Chaplaincy in the Hospital.

All windows closed.

I have a retreat in Brisbane tomorrow for the start of my Diploma, but I doubt we will make it there tonight.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just checked the radar and warnings for up your way. Pretty impressive. Stay safe inside.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Touching survivors' story in an NZ paper.

[Votive]

All kinds of stories of survival and heroism are only now being revealed. One man whose story was published in a suburban paper has now gone on to join a Red Cross disaster team.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

And here they are.

Great pic. I love seeing shippies faces. [Smile]

Hope the gale didn't cause too much damage Latchkey!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

We're in for a wild and stormy night here in Sydee. All cricket called off tomorrow, in advance, which is rare.

Middle is studying the film Stand By Me later this term, and we watched it with good friends tonight. Great film, and River Phoenix astonishingly good.

mr curly

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched it this week for the first time in years - it really is excellent with some fabulous one liners.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thankyou for the meet photo. It is lovely to put faces to voodoo dolls [Big Grin] .
And a fine looking lot you all are as well.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Today was lovely. A friend and I went to a Festival of flowers held in the Botanic Gardens. My favourite display used designs in porta-loos, which were very well done and also topical for Christchurch. One was "Low cost Housing for Christchurch - with a window showing a table and a kitchen painted on the back wall. A small storey on the top showed a cat sitting at the window. Another was labelled CERA* Throne Room was painted in shiny royal blue and the door was locked.

*Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority - who have enormous land acquiring powers and are not very popular.

There were also wee glasshouses made to look like cottages. They displayed styles of flower arrangements through the years.

A local muso sang as kids cartwheeled in front of him and some couples waltzed. It was magical and one of the best times I have had since Sept 2010.

Then my friend took me back to his place for tea and delivered me home.

I even managed to forget for a while that I have a scary biopsy tomorrow.

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit irreverent, I suppose, but here Cera is a make of sanitary ware - so here people piss on Cera rather than the other way around!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

[Votive] Huia for the scary stuff.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for you and your doctors today, Huia.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

With you, Huia.

Blessings

[Votive]

GG

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated Birthday greetings for Banner Lady on the 23rd.

This announcement came from FD, but I was away this w/e on a retreat for the start of my further studies in Spiritual Care and didn't get to check my messages until now.

We were lucky with the storm, some furniture got wet (dried now) and the neighbour's 40m lemon scented gum tree did not fall. Just a couple of trees to sort out and some pruning to make sure the power lines do not get brought down in another storm.

Got to my retreat only 20 minutes late

[Votive] Huia [Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, I was on a prison ministry course all weekend and so the birthday is on hold indefinitely. I didn't mind missing one at all, really.

[Razz]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for the prayers and support.

I survived - only to have the doctor tell me the sample taken may not be sufficient, if which case the next will be taken at the hospital and I will be knocked out first.

Wodders I loved your take on CERA - it cheered me (and several other people) greatly.

LK, I've never heard of a lemon scented gum tree, though the scent of gums is one of my earliest memories. There is an old stand of them across the road from the school where I volunteer and when I wait at the bus stop they provide welcome shade as well. The road is one of the oldest in Christchurch as it's one the early settlers used over the hills from the port.

Huia

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Perf. 19 March to 26th. Coming over for Mr Curly Senior's 80th birthday. Meet?

mr curly

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Perf. 19 March to 26th. Coming over for Mr Curly Senior's 80th birthday. Meet?

mr curly

Yep.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, too!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make it so.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for chipping in from the other side of the globe (and from yesterday, relative to where you are), but I'm reading a lot in Dutch newspapers about the visit of the politician Wilders to Oz. Are you hearing a lot about that? I'm quite impressed with how the Australian interviewers debate him. Mostly, the Dutch media just slavishly repeat his views.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Personally I have seen a little but not that much coverage of him and very little said about his actual views, there has been coverage of protests against his presence here but I think maybe there's been an element of restraint shown by the media (I live in hopes) by not giving him too much publicity.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Re: Perf meet. How does Wed (20st) or Fri (22nd) lunch at a city location suit? Open to other suggestions. What's AP up to these days.

mr curly

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Re: Perf meet. How does Wed (20st) or Fri (22nd) lunch at a city location suit? Open to other suggestions. What's AP up to these days.

mr curly

At this stage, my diary is somewhere in an online backup somewhere, while I await a replacement laptop from my insurance company - the laptop was stolen from our place last week, and the insurance company is swamped (pun intended) with cloaims from the floods in the East. But I am fairly sure either date is fine.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wed I'm at formation all day but I could do an early lunch Friday (have a tutorial at one thirty in Fremantle) or just swing by and say hullo. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

mr curly

Probably needs its own thread.
I can't do Wednesdays.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Originally posted by Dark Knight:
quote:
Probably needs its own thread.
I can't do Wednesdays.

Done

mr curly

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016