homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » A baby named Messiah (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A baby named Messiah
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are many rather unusual names if they transfer from one place to another. Recalling a girl named Horntip in Guyana. Names like Claudia, Cosmo, Merlin would get unmerciful teasing here. Harry is also one of jokes unless his last name is Potter. The last name Menzies also gets jokes.

A weird one that's gaining ground here is Neveah - heaven spelled backwards.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Recent (child) baptisms at our place have included Ava-Rose, Harry, Ellie, Olivia, Jessica, Christian, Penny Blossom, and Carlo. Nothing too outré there!

I feel I must add a quote that I also contributed to the christen/baptism thread:
A constitution of Archbishop Peckham (ob. 1292) directs that "ministers shall take care not to permit wanton names to be given to children baptized, and if otherwise it be done, the same shall be changed by the bishop at confirmation."

So Penny Blossom would have been baptised Penelope, Harry Henry, and Ellie Elizabeth or Eleanor...

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Recent (child) baptisms at our place have included Ava-Rose, Harry, Ellie, Olivia, Jessica, Christian, Penny Blossom, and Carlo. Nothing too outré there!

I feel I must add a quote that I also contributed to the christen/baptism thread:
A constitution of Archbishop Peckham (ob. 1292) directs that "ministers shall take care not to permit wanton names to be given to children baptized, and if otherwise it be done, the same shall be changed by the bishop at confirmation."

So Penny Blossom would have been baptised Penelope, Harry Henry, and Ellie Elizabeth or Eleanor...

GG

Yep the vicar refused to Baptise an unlce of mine as harry, he had to be Henry..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
There are many rather unusual names if they transfer from one place to another. Recalling a girl named Horntip in Guyana. Names like Claudia, Cosmo, Merlin would get unmerciful teasing here. Harry is also one of jokes unless his last name is Potter. The last name Menzies also gets jokes.

A weird one that's gaining ground here is Neveah - heaven spelled backwards.

That's common around my little cornoer of the UK too
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I have recently come across a Peyton, a Sapphire and a Saffron, and a lot of Demis.

I know that Demi is an older popular-ish name but I have always wondered why parents want to give their child name that means ‘half.’

Half of what I always wonder…

iamvalisme
Apprentice
# 13233

- Posted      Profile for iamvalisme   Author's homepage   Email iamvalisme   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband was a health visitor, and had clients Mr and Mrs Keurten,(guess how it is pronounced!) who names their new daughter Annette.
At least Messiah is not like that.
We actually went through agonied naming our children, trying combinations with surname, initials etc etc.
I think the wrong name can be bad for the child, but Messiah is Ok. It does depend on where the child will go to school and who his peers will be though.

--------------------
Val

Posts: 5 | From: liverpool | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamvalisme:
My husband was a health visitor...

A friend who was a health visitor some years ago claimed to have come across a Mr & Mrs Pipe who chose the name Dwayne for their son.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to school with Mr and Mrs Payne's son, Ivor.

Somebody should over rule for the sake of the child. IMHO, of course.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016