homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The "next big move of God".... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The "next big move of God"....
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years I have heard the phrases "the current move of God", "the latest move of God", "the next move of God", or "we wanna be involved with what God is doing at the moment" (usually involving upping sticks and moving backside and other body parts to some particular locality God has apparently targeted for his special visitation - probably much to the annoyance of the locals - and then returning to zap others with the power thus supposedly received).

I must admit that I have always been somewhat sceptical about this understanding of divine activity, although admittedly I have had my moments, especially a rather strange - though thankfully short-lived - phase I went through when I got really flakily into "territorial spirits", and started to see all sorts of things in my town's local history that I am sure were not there!

Can divine activity really be viewed in this way? Yes, I suppose there are particular 'global' divine activities - the ministry of Jesus, the cross, the resurrection, Pentecost and so on, but c'mon, surely God's activity is implied in what He wants us to do:

quote:
He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?

(Micah 6:8)

I've come to the conclusion that the "latest move of God" is to visit a lonely elderly person, or befriend someone who is mentally ill, or to work for a just deal for the homeless or just for average citizens. It does involve spirituality as well. You know, all the boring stuff, like prayer, for example...

But I guess all that stuff is not very exciting is it? Not much to shout about in a media obsessed age. It doesn't really attract the big bucks. Ah well...

Anyway, I just thought I'd get that off my chest.

Anyone else who wishes to indulge in similar pectoral relief, please go ahead...

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard such a phrase. Is it an evangelical-only buzz word?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does kind of suggest God works to a five-year plan, doesn't it? Or at least to some kind of periodically-updated manifesto. I too haven't heard the expression before but will be on the lookout.

Meanwhile I'm with EE on this:

quote:
I've come to the conclusion that the "latest move of God" is to visit a lonely elderly person, or befriend someone who is mentally ill, or to work for a just deal for the homeless or just for average citizens. It does involve spirituality as well. You know, all the boring stuff, like prayer, for example...

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Yes. Specifically, a charismatic/evangelical buzzword. [Roll Eyes] And if I never hear the bloody phrase again before heaven, I will be a happy bunny. [Devil]

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:

But I guess all that stuff is not very exciting is it? Not much to shout about in a media obsessed age. It doesn't really attract the big bucks. Ah well...

Damn straight, EE. [Cool] [Smile]

I am not cynical about the Third Person of the Trinity, or His power. But the Spirit is far more to be found in service and humility than He is in the Next Big Hype That Promises Much And Doesn't Deliver All That Much.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

fwiw, there ARE evangelical/ charismatic churches (as well as non-charismatic/ evangelical churches) who do speak about and understand the Spirit moving in precisely the ways that you mention here. It just isn't as easy to mock/ critique as, you know, the flashy stuff like snake handling

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE, I suspect you weren't expecting this, but I agree with every word you've typed ...

[Axe murder]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's talk (with maybe just a sprinkle of wishful thinking...) in simple / emerging / organic church circles of a paradigm shift in Christianity, towards a more grassroots and locally incarnated expression of Christianity. I've even read it being suggested as part of a cycle of reformation / reinvention that allegedly happens every 500 years or so. I'll try and remember to dig out the quote this evening.

I do think there might be something significant in this; after all, there are plenty of people experimenting with and writing about non-standard ways of being church. Or it might all fizzle out, with some elements simply being taken on board by the more mainstream, traditional strands of Christianity. Who knows?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You've never read The Secular City by Harvey Cox?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sort of talk has been around for sometime, South Coast Kevin. I tend to associate it with people like Stuart Murray and The Anabaptist Network ... alongside the steady realisation among some of the historic churches in the UK that we are entering a post-Christendom phase.

Mind you, as John Holding (of Ship fame) observed to me over a half in a pub not far from here, the concept of 'Christendom' in the UK or 'Old World' sense has never really applied in Canada or the US.

I would tend to sit up and take more notice of this sort of thing than I would of the 'next great move of God, revival is on it's way' type rhetoric that has dogged certain sections of the charismatic movement for about 3 or 4 decades.

I suspect the kind of grass-roots nirvana that you imagine might come but not in the kind of way you expect. It'll come through shrinkage and retrenchment.

Arguably, there have always been base-communities and grass-roots movements and so on within all Christian traditions at all times. Recently I heard of a rather worrying trend towards Russian Orthodox biker gangs in the former Soviet Union ... they like all the trappings but mix it with xenophobia, anti-semitism and extreme nationalism.

So not every grass-roots movement is squeaky clean.

Just because it's grass-roots doesn't mean it's going to be any better than the alternatives. It may even mean that because it's lower to the ground it's more prone to be covered in dog-shit.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably, when God wants to move, he will engage this well-established company.

Or do they only serve the God of the Episcopal Churches, leaving the rest of us out in the cold?

[ 08. October 2013, 15:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It all seems to be based on a rather anthropomorphic view of God, which denies his omnipresence. God is "doing something" in such and such a place, with the implication that this is his special work for this year or this whatever period of time you wish to choose.

Even at my most charismatically flakiest, I felt rather troubled by this kind of talk. I reasoned that surely God is active everywhere in different ways, but consistent with his nature.

We used to have "strategic" prayer meetings, in which "this coming year will be the year of such-and-such in the plans of God" and then we'll move on to the next phase of "what God is doing..." Or we would 'strategically' pray for church leaders, councillors etc, with the insinuation that ordinary people were not worth praying for, because that would be a waste of good prayer, and we only have a limited stock of the stuff, so mustn't waste it on the riffraff (that was never said of course - perish the thought! - but it seemed to be the logical implication of our emphasis at times).

This is all about trying to control God. It almost smacks of the occult.

It's a power and authority theology, rooted in "kingdom now" I suppose, often with the themes of warfare and (spiritual) violence emphasised. The whole "March for Jesus" phenomenon fed (or rather feeds) into this, where people were bored of ordinary worship, so had to take acts of charismatic worship out onto the streets as a weapon to wield against the powers of evil - the strongholds, which if broken would release revival into the towns and cities of our benighted nation. God is likened to a warrior on the move - or on the march, to be more exact. Nothing about love your neighbour in the Good Samaritan sense, and everything about passing by (or marching by) on the other side, treating people as merely candidates for the anticipated power zap, where God will magically do all the Samaritan dirty work which 'we' have facilitated by our great spirituality.

AFAIAC, it's short-cut Christianity, that tries to avoid the hard slog and the long haul. And, of course, it doesn't work.

How will all this pan out?

I must admit that I have a few dark thoughts about that...

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Gamaliel:
Recently I heard of a rather worrying trend towards Russian Orthodox biker gangs in the former Soviet Union ... they like all the trappings but mix it with xenophobia, anti-semitism and extreme nationalism.

Bikers like beards and wearing black. Extreme nationalism would be a problem for Russian biker gangs. American biker gangs ride Harley Davidsons because Harleys are made in the USA. What comparable Russian motercycle is available to Russian gangs?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to get in quickly, so I can agree with both EE and Gamaliel......who knows if there'll ever be another opportunity?
Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I've no idea what bikes they ride. I wouldn't be surprised if they import Harleys and still bang on and on about the demonic and degenerate West ...

[Roll Eyes]

Meanwhile, a second post from EE where I agree with everything he says. Is this a record?

I must admit I'm rather pleased. Not because I have an over-active sense of the rightness of my own position, simply because I'm glad to be on the same page as him.

I sometimes entertain dark thoughts about where all this sort of thing could lead - but I remember what Andrew Walker observed to Tom Smail in a transcript of a three-way conversation with Smail and Nigel Wright at the end of their 1995 book, 'Charismatic Renewal: The search for a theology'.

In a transcript of this conversation, entitled 'From the Toronto Blessing to Trinitarian Renewal' they all three agree that 'health lies' in a proper understanding of the Trinity - ie. you can't have the Spirit without the Son, you can't have the Son and the Spirit without the Father - and so on.

The Spirit of God isn't some kind of impersonal 'power-force' with which we zap our way through life.

Towards the end of the conversation, Walker says to Tom Smail, 'I want to support your optimism, because I believe in God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.'

He goes on to say that its not a question of making 'dire predictions' but of 'being responsible as theological teachers'. As long as the gospel is preached, then things have a tendency to turn round and remain on track.

I s'pose it depends on how optimistic we allow ourselves to be.

That said, Walker does identify areas of grave concern, particular some of the health-wealth and 'kingdom now' emphases that EE has also picked up on here.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@The Rhythm Methodist. I am sure there will be other opportunities.

The new, reformed Gamaliel will endeavour to show more grace whether he agrees or disagrees with EE. There have been occasions in the past when I've agreed with EE but through a combination of circumstances - including my rather convoluted posting style at times - we've ended up in an unhelpful spiral that has headed Hellwards.

I trust this will no longer happen as I think I recognise the danger signs better now. And the fault has been far more on my side than on his.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
quote:

Meanwhile, a second post from EE where I agree with everything he says. Is this a record?

I must admit I'm rather pleased. Not because I have an over-active sense of the rightness of my own position, simply because I'm glad to be on the same page as him.

The age of miracles is not yet past....!

And as regards the OP; as it says in Scripture God's mercies are new every morning so perhaps he is always doing something fresh in our hearts and lives even if we can't always recognise it.
As for the over enthusiastic claims from some quarters about amazing new and BIG moves of God in our generation.....maybe/ maybe not so let's wait a couple of centuries and see what the church historians come up with!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup. It's the inspiration of the holy spirit, not the doings of the holy spirit. And others may ignore you (or worse), but if you hang on to the inspiration it'll be okay, even if you die.

It does make we wonder about the stories of miracles, the idea that the age of miracles has passed etc. In soft moment I decide to suspend critical judgement on that, allow that it could happen, those miracles, but in hard moments, I think people had less data and a different frame of reference and thus interpreted things in the miraculous frame that we tend not to. So the next move of God is really yours (or mine).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What next?! You'll be telling me that the leadership of the EDL is sitting down with Muslims!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
What next?! You'll be telling me that the leadership of the EDL is sitting down with Muslims!

LOL - you bad monkey, Martin [Big Grin]

God's "next big move" sounds like the Lord has been suffering Divine Constipation for some millennia. One would not want to be around for the outcome.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've no idea what bikes they ride. I wouldn't be surprised if they import Harleys and still bang on and on about the demonic and degenerate West ...

From memory - didn't Peppone ride an Indian?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Contrary to some folks upthread, I think it's valid to expect and talk about what we might call 'new moves of God'. I was reading last night about the idea that, just as in other fields of human life, church / Christian movements can spring up, bring about something good, and then diminish into settled 'institutionalism' and - often - stagnation. Here's a snippet:

quote:
'[T]here are some common characteristics that mark off the early phase of dynamic social movements that are distinct from the social structures of the latter institutions that arise from them.

This is as true of the church and other Christian agencies as it is of corporations, community projects, political parties, and other social movements. Whether it be a denomination, parachurch agency, or local church plant - all are launched with a certain ethos and energy that starts with a seminal vision or idea and swells like a wave to impact society round about it.'

It goes on to talk about 'sigmoid growth' (see e.g. here) and how 'The goal of churches should be to achieve what strategists call "sigmoid growth", which is the capacity to constantly remain in a state of movement-like growth.'

There's more good stuff, I think, but that's probably enough already. [Hot and Hormonal] It's taken from The Shaping of Things to Come.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

You've never read The Secular City by Harvey Cox?
Yes, many years ago and it had my respect before Cox repudiated it.

What was his take on it?

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

I love you so much for posting this. [Big Grin]

When I first became a Christian it was in a church that used the language identified in the OP all the time, often in casual and unspecified ways. Over the years I've become a bit cynical in the ways specified in the OP.

And yet... in the area of the UK I live in, I can see grand things happening. Churches of ALL denominations (not the traditional lot bundling together and the evangelical/ enthusiastic lot working seperately) working together to serve the poorest and most vulnerable in their cities. Churches partnering with secular agencies to help combat poverty.

It's good stuff. It's humans helping other humans with the help of the Holy Spirit. And it's the only sort of activity I've ever seen in churches that I could honestly say looks like a "move of God".

[ 09. October 2013, 11:03: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cedd007
Shipmate
# 16180

- Posted      Profile for Cedd007   Email Cedd007       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difficulty of issues like this is we can end up over-analysing, and then lampooning, something which we can all agree is bad, and then replacing it with a cliché we can all agree with – a Lowest Common Denominator which gives us all a warm fuzzy feeling. We can then miss out on what's weird but nevertheless works, as it were, things which can be unclassifiable, disturbing, but quite possibly the work of God.

Phrases like "the current move of God", "the latest move of God", "the next move of God", or "we wanna be involved with what God is doing at the moment", at their worst, could simply be someone implying they are 'Superior Christians' by showing off the special knowledge they believe they have. Sadly, this happens. However, read, say, the biographies of someone like Hudson Taylor or Saint Ignatius Loyola, and similar kinds of phrases appear I wouldn't want to question too deeply.

The same I think applies to territorial spirits. Christian friends I know and trust do sense spiritual disturbance in particular roads or houses as they go prayer-walking. I knew a bishop, now retired, when he was an undergraduate. In spite of being about the sanest, soundest, human being I know, he happened to believe that different places had their different spirits – I can't recall the exact vocabulary, but something like that.

With regard to God moving into particular territory, how can one read the Book of Acts without getting a feeling of God's geography? Or what are we to make of some of our Saviour's instructions about where to go and in what order?

The reverse side of using a phrase like "the current move of God" is using it because you have a real, God-given, gift of discernment. So we need I think to test each spirit, on a case by case basis, although this may not be easy if we have been fooled or exploited by the use of these phrases.

Posts: 58 | From: Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I suspect, in typical Gamaliel fashion, that there's an element of both/and rather than either/or in some of this.

The whole idea of movements and groups developing and going through pioneering and settling phases and so on isn't new. Everyone agrees on that. I remember an RC priest observing to me that religious orders in the RC Church tend to have a 'floruit' or effective life-span of around 600 years at most.

He suggested that the similar timescale for a standard Protestant denomination - say the Methodists - would be about 200 - 300 years and for what he regarded as 'garage churches' [Big Grin] the life-span was the effective working life of the main leader.

I think he's broadly on the button.

Meanwhile, seed-time and harvest, night and day, the seasons and the cycles go on very much as before.

There are parallel notions in mystical settings - Yeats with his 'gyres' and so on.

Things come and go. Things change. The writer of Ecclesiastes noticed all of that millenia ago.

God's involved with all of it.

I don't see how he is any the less involved during periods of relative stability as he is when there are times of flux and change. God is still God. 'I the Lord do not change.'

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
It's good stuff. It's humans helping other humans with the help of the Holy Spirit. And it's the only sort of activity I've ever seen in churches that I could honestly say looks like a "move of God".

For me, it is clearly the work of only humans, since, as far as I'm concerned, there is no God, or spirit etc.

However, I really enjoyed reading the OP and, like others has said up thread, very much agreeing with EE:), as I am at present benefiting from a daily visit from a carer to helpp in my post-op recovery. I shall not need these visits for very long, but have enormous respect for those who do the work, and gratitude that the service is in place.

Many thanks, EE.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris
...as I am at present benefiting from a daily visit from a carer to helpp in my post-op recovery...

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

I nearly wrote "I wish you every blessing...", but maybe that's not the best word, given your viewpoint, but I wish you that anyway!

As for God working through people, or people just doing it all themselves, well... I think - or hope - that we can both agree that there are huge mysteries to the universe, and who knows what is really going on "behind the scenes" to motivate people? You have your evolutionary understanding of human kindness; I see it rather differently. But I think we can both agree that kindness is what the world desperately needs (and I am not always the best practitioner of it, unfortunately [Hot and Hormonal] !).

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cedd007:
... However, read, say, the biographies of someone like Hudson Taylor or Saint Ignatius Loyola, and similar kinds of phrases appear I wouldn't want to question too deeply.

Bingo. [Cool] Likewise St Francis. And the Desert Fathers. And the Wesleys. And ... well, we could go on. [Smile]

Up-thread, I made typically Ship-like disgusted noises about the clichéd language. But I am not at all cynical about the Holy Spirit or what may in fact be a genuine move of God. Not one bit. We humans say and do all sorts of silly things, including the best and most 'anointed' of us, but God is God, and ... He is always working. Sometimes, yes, in a movement of radical renewal, a movement that shakes up the Church. But also quietly and unobtrusively ... in the lives of people simply getting on and serving others because they love Christ and love other people too.

And many of the 'charismatic' saints who were - and are - much used by God were (and are) pretty eccentric, it seems to me, just a little bit whacky. [Angel] Like Hildegard of Bingen ...

SusanDoris, I hope you are recovering well after your op. [Smile]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

A wise vicar once told me that he thought that both charismatics and 'contemplatives' end up in the same place only by different routes.

I think that's right.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It all seems to be based on a rather anthropomorphic view of God, which denies his omnipresence. God is "doing something" in such and such a place, with the implication that this is his special work for this year or this whatever period of time you wish to choose.

Even at my most charismatically flakiest, I felt rather troubled by this kind of talk. I reasoned that surely God is active everywhere in different ways, but consistent with his nature.

We used to have "strategic" prayer meetings, in which "this coming year will be the year of such-and-such in the plans of God" and then we'll move on to the next phase of "what God is doing..." Or we would 'strategically' pray for church leaders, councillors etc, with the insinuation that ordinary people were not worth praying for, because that would be a waste of good prayer, and we only have a limited stock of the stuff, so mustn't waste it on the riffraff (that was never said of course - perish the thought! - but it seemed to be the logical implication of our emphasis at times).

This is all about trying to control God. It almost smacks of the occult.

I would agree. However, it doesn't have to be like that. At it's best the "move of God" narrative is more about noticing what God is doing. It isn't about assuming/implying that God isn't at work over there, or among that group. Rather, it's about noticing the ways God is at work here, in this place, at this time. Often, as you suggest, in very small and quiet ways, through small and quiet people doing small things that accomplish great good. And there is something of tremendous worth in that.

quote:

It's a power and authority theology, rooted in "kingdom now" I suppose, often with the themes of warfare and (spiritual) violence emphasised. The whole "March for Jesus" phenomenon fed (or rather feeds) into this, where people were bored of ordinary worship, so had to take acts of charismatic worship out onto the streets as a weapon to wield against the powers of evil - the strongholds, which if broken would release revival into the towns and cities of our benighted nation. God is likened to a warrior on the move - or on the march, to be more exact. Nothing about love your neighbour in the Good Samaritan sense, and everything about passing by (or marching by) on the other side, treating people as merely candidates for the anticipated power zap, where God will magically do all the Samaritan dirty work which 'we' have facilitated by our great spirituality.

We've been 'round this before on another thread. There may be some cross-pond differences re: how "kingdom" or "inaugurated" theology gets played out.

Just want to note that some of it, at least on this side of the pond, is quite the opposite of what you've characterized. Walter Wink, for example, argues in The Powers that Be for a radical pacifism (not passivity) that is excruciating in it's challenge to our "myth of redemptive violence". He does so precisely from the standpoint of "kingdom" or inaugurated theology.

Greg Boyd argues similarly in God at War, drawing heavily on Wink's work, including his strong emphasis on pacifism-but-never-passivity. Even though Boyd (unlike Wink) calls his systematic theology "warfare theology" he is decidedly nonviolent in the way he sees us engaging "the powers", and, like Wink, talks about the powers more often in things like institutional evil as in territorial or generational demons. For ex.:

quote:
, “when we refuse to benefit from another culture’s (or our own) slave labor, and when we come against governments that systemically oppress the masses… when we expose and confront the many subtle forms of structural hatred that presently choke our own culture, whether in the form of systemic prejudice, institutional injustice, or the demonization of other peoples in the name of nationalism, we participate with God in the same spiritual battle that has been going on since the dawn of history.”

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

I love you so much for posting this. [Big Grin]

When I first became a Christian it was in a church that used the language identified in the OP all the time, often in casual and unspecified ways. Over the years I've become a bit cynical in the ways specified in the OP.

And yet... in the area of the UK I live in, I can see grand things happening. Churches of ALL denominations (not the traditional lot bundling together and the evangelical/ enthusiastic lot working seperately) working together to serve the poorest and most vulnerable in their cities. Churches partnering with secular agencies to help combat poverty.

Thank you [Hot and Hormonal]

Whilst I too admire the many people who are doing what they can to help others I can find* no reason to think that having a social conscience requires the involvement of anything extra-human.

*despite still searching - albeit in an occasionally somewhat idiosyncratic way!

SusanDoris good to have you back.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

On that chatter in the emerging church about a new paradigm of church being on the way, I just read this. It's a rather bold claim, I grant you, but I think it nicely illustrates what I've read in several different places about new ways of being church.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee
Whilst I too admire the many people who are doing what they can to help others I can find* no reason to think that having a social conscience requires the involvement of anything extra-human.

*despite still searching - albeit in an occasionally somewhat idiosyncratic way!

On this subject, there's an interesting BBC article here.

It probably won't surprise you that I tend to think that the problems in explaining altruism come down to a world view error, which the article does not consider. It is assumed that a particular view of reality is correct, and no phenomenon can be allowed to challenge its assumptions. I find that very strange, to say the least!

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

quote:
quote:

On this subject, there's an interesting BBC article
here.

It probably won't surprise you that I tend to think that the problems in explaining altruism come down to a world view error, which the article does not consider. It is assumed that a particular view of reality is correct, and no phenomenon can be allowed to challenge its assumptions. I find that very strange, to say the least!

I didn't get the assumption you see, nor know what phenomenon/phenomena you are referring to - probably I need you to be more explicit.

Another approach, and such effects may be multi-dimensional, is that of mirror neurons There is considerable debate about their role but attempting to alleviate our pain is something we would expect to do - whether the pain is first or second hand is irrelevant isn't it?.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@South Coast Kevin - I know I keep coming back to this and I know it's not what you're trying to say, but I keep coming back to this issue of why we should assume that 'new ways' of being church are going to somehow be better than old ways ...

I'm not saying that the reverse is true, that new ways are inevitably going to be worse ...

But what I don't understand is why there's this assumption that new = better and somehow more empowering and that old = bad.

It seems to me that there have always been grass-roots ways of doing Christianity - pilgrimages were essentially popular and grass-roots movements but I'd be very surprised if I heard you advocating or celebrating some elements of popular piety that went along with all of that - and still does in some quarters.

I'm not saying that trying new stuff and being innovative is wrong, all I'm suggesting is that we create a new set of problems at the same time.

I get the impression sometimes that if things were done in such a way that would appeal to you and your mates then you believe that everything in the garden would be rosy.

There are certain things that appeal to me, too, but I'm not sure that they'd make a massive difference or be a force for good and for change if everyone adopted them.

I think we will see more fluid and looser forms of church life developing, more out of necessity than anything else. Fine. What I don't 'get' is how this, in and of itself, is some kind of panacea.

It strikes me as a somewhat romanticised view based on a rosy-tinted impression of what early church life was like in the 1st century. It's based on a fairly selective approach to the NT, to be frank.

Sure, there was grace and glory, but there was also grit between the toes and some pretty duff stuff going on at one and the same time.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
On that chatter in the emerging church about a new paradigm of church being on the way, I just read this. It's a rather bold claim, I grant you, but I think it nicely illustrates what I've read in several different places about new ways of being church.

I've been hearing about this kind of thing from the emergent/emerging/whatever crowd for the past ten years. I confess that I often find their way of talking about things ... pretentious. [Help]

And kind of wishy-washy. For my particular personality type, that is infuriating. And my particular personality type likes boundaries. Boundaries. Don't knock 'em. They matter. Really, they do.

Before I sound too cynical - I'm not, overall - I do think there is a grassroots movement like this happening. And lots of good things happening too, e.g. Christians offering to pray for people at New Age festivals. That is a positive, Christ-centred engagement with the prevailing culture.

But many of the same things that bedevil 'traditional' church will, I think, be the same things that bedevil 'church in a circle' or whatever. Not least the fact that there is always a bigger need than manpower (and womanpower) to help meet it.

Human nature, innit? [Cool]

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
I didn't get the assumption you see, nor know what phenomenon/phenomena you are referring to - probably I need you to be more explicit.

The assumption is the belief that everything in human nature should be explained in entirely materialistic / naturalistic / biological / neurological terms. There is no reason why this should be the case, unless you want to make a case for strong (or 'naive') empiricism, which is wholly inadequate to explain even the validity of the scientific method itself (based, as it is, on certain non-empirical assumptions, such as the uniformity of nature).

The phenomenon I was referring to was altruism. The difficulties of making altruism fit into a naturalistic paradigm could indicate that it cannot fit into that paradigm. And if this is the case, then what is needed is a different paradigm. The same goes for mind, reason, and consciousness.

A naturalistic explanation is simply that. It is not necessarily a proof.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
@South Coast Kevin - I know I keep coming back to this and I know it's not what you're trying to say, but I keep coming back to this issue of why we should assume that 'new ways' of being church are going to somehow be better than old ways ...

I'm not saying that the reverse is true, that new ways are inevitably going to be worse ...

But what I don't understand is why there's this assumption that new = better and somehow more empowering and that old = bad.

New is not automatically better, old is not automatically bad; certainly not! It's just that we can get stuck in traditions and patterns of practice, that might well have been thoroughly useful and appropriate however many years ago but now are, at best, a quirky anachronism or, at worst, a severe barrier to faith for many people.

On another thread recently, Ceremoniar supplied a perfect illustration of what I mean (very much at the 'quirky anachronism' end of the spectrum):
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
As an Anglican youth, I was taught not to put the surplice on until after the candles were lighted, and remove it before extinguishing the candles... No explanation was ever really provided as a youth, and I suspect that its origin was merely a practical one, such as keeping wax or soot off the pristine surplices.

It's my view that a lot of our practice around church services etc. is done out of habit and routine, and I think it's good from time to time to examine why we do things the way we do. If there is still good reason for our routines and rituals then, great, keep doing them; but if another way would better suit the current circumstances, then let's make some changes. (NB A very good reason for continuing a certain practice or ritual would be because we think God commands it.)

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
But many of the same things that bedevil 'traditional' church will, I think, be the same things that bedevil 'church in a circle' or whatever. Not least the fact that there is always a bigger need than manpower (and womanpower) to help meet it.

Overall, I think you're right but one point about the various so-called emerging church set-ups is that they often encourage and empower lay people, new Christians, and so on, to get involved. Also, the bar of how we 'do church' tends to be set quite low - in terms of technical excellence - so there's often simply less to organise. In my experience and reading, at least...!

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sure, there's a balance in all of this, South Coast Kevin. Lots of things that have become ritualised over the years had a practical basis ... the Orthodox priests I know are all fully aware of that but this doesn't stop them doing it. Whether they explain the significance to their congregations is a moot point though ...

I also agree that some rituals and practices can become barriers to faith. But the same applies to some modern developments ... I know non-churchy people around here who would run a mile if they were confronted with the kind of thing you envisage.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'd be all for grass-roots movements and people meeting together to encourage one another in the faith and reach out with the Gospel and so on ... but I s'pose I've had years and years of being involved in very all-consuming forms of church. As Laurelin says, it takes all hands to the pumps to run groups of this kind and I suspect that would be the case regardless of how low-tech things become.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Sure, there's a balance in all of this, South Coast Kevin. Lots of things that have become ritualised over the years had a practical basis ... the Orthodox priests I know are all fully aware of that but this doesn't stop them doing it. Whether they explain the significance to their congregations is a moot point though ...

Reminds me of the old story re: a guest preacher who is asked to speak at a small church in a mountain community. Nice church but as the congregation arrives, he's confused by the fact that everyone sat on the right hand side of the sanctuary-- no one on the left. Immediately following the 2nd hymn, without a word being said, everyone got up and quietly moved to the left hand side. Then carried on as usual.

He asked around afterwards, no one had any explanation, it's "just the way we always did it". Finally he finds one old lady who tells them the church was originally heated by a wood stove. When they arrived in the morning someone would start the stove but the church would still be frigid, so they'd all sit near it on the right. But after awhile it got too warm and they started moving away from it. That got distracting so they decided to all do it together after the hymn.

When they put in central heating a few years ago, no one thought to change the long-standing tradition.

Apocryphal, I'm sure.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure God never stops moving ('Keep me travelling along with you...') but for those of us still alive it'll be interesting to see how God will be moving in the UK in 40 years' time. Judging from the figures, we're likely to see the collapse of many congregations and denominations between now and then. Only an astonishingly 'big move of God' will prevent that from happening. But that eventuality may itself herald something new, and hopefully of God. If it's not the Second Coming, who knows what it'll be?

[ 11. October 2013, 23:38: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
vicar of bowsden
Apprentice
# 16256

- Posted      Profile for vicar of bowsden   Author's homepage   Email vicar of bowsden   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The penny dropped for me with this kind of language in about 1998 when I was really immersed in this stuff and zooming all over the place looking for the next wave of the Spirit. I realised that in my particular circle, and I think in much wider ones, the whole business of going to the next place looking for the next thing was like the nuts who chase tornados just for the thrill of it, without ever asking what God might want them to do with the experience they had received. So after a period of genuine anointing and great blessing I asked my church what they thought we should do to reach our town with the Gospel now that God had given us so much of his Spirit. There were blank looks, an uncomfortable silence, and then someone announced that they had heard that people were receiving gold fillings for their teeth in meetings in the next town, and they were all busy planning a trip to the latest "in place."
I'm sure God does do different things in different places and sometimes we need to get off our backsides to go and receive; at the same time I realised that so much of this stuff is really a means of avoiding the hard work - and yes sometimes drudgery - of living the Gospel and telling people about Jesus

--------------------
Don't advertise if you don't have the goods

Posts: 5 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

The thing with thrills and spills are that they don't 'stay by you' as some of the old ladies I knew used to say. 'You want (ought) to eat more than that for your dinner, it won't stay by you.'

No disrespect for theme parks (I recently visited one for the first time and blogged about it) but the thrill of the ride (or horror, in my case) soon wears off. It doesn't 'stay by you.'

I got into the Toronto thing in the mid-90s for a wee while and soon discovered that I could induce these kind of experiences in people ... it was easy. Frighteningly easy. I realised that most, if not all, of it, was down to suggestibility and heightened expectation ... it was effectively a form of hypnosis by and large ... although I'm not sure I'd want to dismiss all of it that way.

I'd also suggest that it derives from an overly dualistic approach to spirituality and pneumatology. I could expand but I don't have time, but it's something that plenty of others have observed and commented on.

I often think of my Great Aunt Nell - severely handicapped with cerebral palsy and confined to a couch for many years. At her funeral, the vicar said that he'd learned more from her about faith, patience and long-suffering than anything he'd been taught at seminary.

Shameless piece of self-promotion coming up ... I've won a poetry prize with a poem based around Nell and her brothers and sisters - my maternal granddad's family. It's on my blog.

If anyone bangs on about great moves of God and wonderful experiences and this that and the other, I think Nell and her sisters and brothers - love triumphing in the midst of suffering. You can keep your 'next big thing'.

Of course, it's possible to be charismatic and so on and still keep one's feet on the ground. EE's work in the health care sector demonstrates that.

On the thing about 'moves of God' - well, North Africa used to be one of the most Christian parts of the world at one time. For whatever reason, it seems that the tide ebbs and flows. I don't see why there has to be any cast-iron guarantee that there'll be a strong, vibrant and thriving church here in the UK in 50 or 100 years time.

Obviously, I'd prefer there to be one, but I suspect that Christianity will be pushed to the margins with a lot of retrenchment and recalibration.

'When the Son of Man returns, will he find faith on the earth?'

Looking at the spiritual landscape now to what it was 40 years ago, I think we can get some clues as to how things might look. Some things pretty much as they are, but less numbers other than in some of the roller-coaster ride outfits ... but they'll ebb and flow too.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel

Most people on this thread agree that it's improper to harp on about 'the next big move of God', so there's not much argument to be had on that score.

I'm not sure, though, that things are likely to be 'pretty much as they are' now in 40 years. You can't magic churchgoers out of thin air. When Christians pass away they have to be replaced at more or less the same rate, otherwise institutional evisceration will occur. But this isn't happening. You don't need a crystal ball to work that out.

Moreover, even if things appear to stay 'pretty much as they are' in areas like yours, only a policy of deliberate indifference towards the wider picture will leave churchgoers in those areas unaware of what's changing in their denominations and in the nation at large. That knowledge will have an impact, even if it's only psychological.

If we don't believe in 'the next big move of God', and we clearly don't, then a North African future seems to be fairly likely.

[ 12. October 2013, 13:14: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

If we don't believe in 'the next big move of God', and we clearly don't, then a North African future seems to be fairly likely.

As we say in the US,
"What do you mean 'we' kimosabe?"

I won't try and speak for everyone else, but for myself, the fact that we have identified concerns with chasing after the next new thing, lack of critical discernment, or a superficial spirituality that won't go the distance, does not mean I've given up on "the next big move of God". There's still a lot of "Aunt Nells" out there, and the Spirit is still moving in and through them.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I meant pretty much the same only with lower numbers.

Of course, the pace of change can and does increase. But 30 years ago, as a full-on charismatic evangelical, I was seriously expecting the UK Christian landscape to look completely different by now. If you'd have asked me, I'd have probably said that most fervent and serious Christians would have left the denominations by the end of the 20th century and formed lively, vibrant 'new churches' and that we'd have seen some kind of widespread revival.

That hasn't happened.

I think we could see the UK become like North Africa apart from the major urban centres where Christianity will largely be a migrant/ethnic minority thing. I fully expect it to have largely died out in some rural and semi-rural areas.

Less than 10% of people go to church in my small Cheshire town and the vast majority of those that do are probably 50+.

I don't expect - barring some major revival or reversal in trends - for there to be that many attending churches here in 10, 20, 30 or 40 years time. I fully expect the Methodists to have disappeared by 2050, with a small handful left as early as 2030.

So you've misunderstand the point I was making - mainly because I don't think I made it very clearly.

When I said that things would be pretty much as they are now, I meant pretty much the same rate of decline. I don't expect that decline to be quite so precipitous as it has been - the CofE lost a third of its active members during the 1960s if I remember the figures correctly.

But I don't expect to see a resurgence of faith on any major scale. I would expect to see Christians and churches around in 2053 if it were possible for me to live that long, but there'll only be the faintest traces of Christendom in the West.

[Frown]

Yes, there'll still be Great Aunt Nell's and so on but 'full many a flower is born to blush unseen/And waste its fragrance on the desert air.'

I think Pentecostalism and its charismatic cousins may yet surprise us, but equally I suspect that the cults, sects and wierd groups of the future are being incubated in the charismatic soil of today.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
I think we could see the UK become like North Africa apart from the major urban centres where Christianity will largely be a migrant/ethnic minority thing. I fully expect it to have largely died out in some rural and semi-rural areas.

Less than 10% of people go to church in my small Cheshire town and the vast majority of those that do are probably 50+.

But far more people than 10% claim some kind of affiliation with Christianity. For whatever reason (and there are many different ones, no doubt), only a small proportion of people who say they are Christian actually show up in the church attendance stats. This Wikipedia article had some interesting figures drawn from various surveys; one that jumped out at me was that 19% of UK citizens pray daily (according to the 2008 European Social Survey, apparently). Not all of these will be praying in a Christian way (some would be Muslims, Jews, pagans etc.) but it's still a surprisingly high figure, I thought.

I don't have any figures to hand, but I wonder also if there are plenty of people meeting up in more informal ways to do Christian sort of things who won't show up in any standard church attendance surveys. Some of these people will call their group a church (even though most others might not recognise it as such), but I'm sure there must be others who meet maybe in fairly ad hoc, sporadic fashion, but still to talk about faith and spirituality issues, and maybe to pray.

This is why I think there's such potential in the simple / organic church movement. Many people consider themselves religious / spiritual in a Christian sense but don't attend church in its traditional institutional forms. From what I gather (mostly through reading but also a bit of personal experience), plenty of these people are up for Christian-type meetings and activities, just without the institutional stuff.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Far more people than 10% claim some kind of affiliation with Christianity. For whatever reason (and there are many different ones, no doubt), only a small proportion of people who say they are Christian actually show up in the church attendance stats. [...]

I wonder also if there are plenty of people meeting up in more informal ways to do Christian sort of things who won't show up in any standard church attendance surveys. Some of these people will call their group a church (even though most others might not recognise it as such), but I'm sure there must be others who meet maybe in fairly ad hoc, sporadic fashion, but still to talk about faith and spirituality issues, and maybe to pray.

This is why I think there's such potential in the simple / organic church movement. Many people consider themselves religious / spiritual in a Christian sense but don't attend church in its traditional institutional forms. From what I gather (mostly through reading but also a bit of personal experience), plenty of these people are up for Christian-type meetings and activities, just without the institutional stuff.

The remaining institutional denominations could end up with a type of organic church system by default, because they simply won't be able to maintain anywhere near as many church buildings as they have today. But the problem is that all churches, of whatever type, need committed people to set them up, host them and deal with the intensity that comes from being involved in other people's lives and attempting to move beyond lay passivity. Where are these committed people going to come from?

The whole point of privatised faith is that it doesn't go out of its way to incorporate other people. It doesn't want interference from clergymen and other churchy busy-bodies. Maybe there are people who left Sunday School or last had an RE lesson 20-30 years ago who are now weary of private faith and are quietly setting up vaguely church-like gatherings without any connections to anything official. That would be very interesting. But I haven't heard of anything like that. (All I've heard of is Fresh Expressions, emergent, organic, etc. church - all of which is created by people who already have a background of orthodox Christianity in the institutional churches.)

As fewer and fewer people (especially young people) will have any kind of obvious Christian input in their lives, to what extent would the gatherings of the largely unchurched be 'Christian'? Perhaps we'd be witnessing the slow formalisation of syncretism in British religion.

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Could we see a growth in some kind of modern monastic contemplative tradition? A deep disillusionment with institutional Christianity and the overbearing "relationship and intimacy" paradigm of the new churches could encourage a more individualistic spirituality, which is, however, connected with the historic roots of the church in the UK. I think many British people - perhaps most - rather like the idea of there existing traditional church buildings and spaces dotting the landscape and breaking up the monotony of housing and industrial estates and shopping centres, even if they don't want anything to do with the workings of the church. Christian spirituality is needed as a valued resource in a secular society. I remember the various TV fly-on-the-wall programmes over the last few years about ordinary people staying in a monastery or convent. I am sure these experiences resonate with a lot of people, who would prefer not to have anything to do with regular church membership.

I'm just speculating. My prediction could be totally up the creek, of course, so this is not a prophecy!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016