homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anticiganism and Madeleine McCann (again...) (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Anticiganism and Madeleine McCann (again...)
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like most institutions caring for children over the last 50 years there was a fair bit of under the radar stuff going on - they were not subject to the same scrutiny as care homes.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Like most institutions caring for children over the last 50 years there was a fair bit of under the radar stuff going on - they were not subject to the same scrutiny as care homes.

No, but there is a fair amount of under the radar stuff, going on in care homes too..

The point is schools are authorised, random unrelated people are not.

[ 28. October 2013, 21:58: Message edited by: Zacchaeus ]

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
There's something of the other about the McCann case though, isn't there?

There's the foreignness of it for a start. This happened in a holiday resort, where people expect to unwind and relax. The juxtaposition of a child kidnap and palm trees is always going to get attention.

Madeleine's age presumably has something to do with it, too. This wasn't a child who could really interact with adults in the way an older child, like Shannon perhaps, could.

The Matthews family obviously has problems in the way that a family like the McCanns don't. Some of that is probably projected, rightly or wrongly, on to the child.

So I think there are lots of reasons why the Madeleine McCann case justifiably had a lot of publicity. I still can't stand the sight of their parents and wish they'd be done for neglect, but that's a separate matter.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here as a reason for the continuing interest in the McCann story is the behaviour of the Portuguese police; it's a running sub plot to the whole affair - have the Portuguese police investigated properly? Has the police chief lied about the McCann family, etc, etc. The implied mishandling of the case and the frustration of the British police and the distress of the McCanns is what has kept this story going.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Hang on a minute. Adoption means formally, legally making a change in a child's parents.

Are you suggesting that parents have no power on their own to entrust the care of their child to someone else, while legally remaining the parents?

Up to a point: it would depend in the UK at least on factors such as the length of stay with the carers, their relationship to the child, whether there were child protection issues including the state of the accommodation provided by the carers, and certainly whether the child would be taken to another country. From what we have been told so far, on at least some of the above, the 'carer parents' fall down quite markedly.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schools get some sort of inspection or licensing which is supposed to show they are fit to care for children.

(Just as an aside I don't think that schools in England are in any general sense legally in loco parentis)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Schools get some sort of inspection or licensing which is supposed to show they are fit to care for children.

(Just as an aside I don't think that schools in England are in any general sense legally in loco parentis)

just quoting from this article in the TES

'Under the Children Act 1989, teachers have a duty of care towards their pupils, traditionally referred to as 'in loco parentis'. Legally, while not bound by parental responsibility, teachers must behave as any reasonable parent would do in promoting the welfare and safety of children in their care. The idea dates back to the 19th century when courts were first coming to terms with teachers' responsibilities. It was during this period that case law established that a teacher should act "as a prudent father". '

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that on the great increase of numbers of social workers in the 1960s, abuse of children dropped precipitously. I admit this was only from a comment made on the Guardian website, made by someone identifying as a social worker, so I have no idea of its accuracy.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to ask: before that point, did we have a concept of child abuse that would enable any meaningful comparison to be made?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you read Nicholas Nickleby ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent alert

I've been itching to ask and this thread has been running for over a week without my question being answered either directly or in passing. What does 'anticiganism' mean? Does everyone else know this word apart from me? Is it a real word or is it a misprint? If the latter, what for?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a typo for antiziganism, which means racism against gypsies/Roma.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Racism against gypsies, spelled with a "z" across the pond, but with a "c" here.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I googled it but all i got was a link to this thread!!
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a neologism, devised by a sociology tutor. 2 more such words and there's a prospect of a tenured lectureship.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016