homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Religions no longer common

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Religions no longer common
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a "Washington Post" headline: "Christianity is not going away", a story by Mark Tooley. This led me to think about religions that used to be in widespread practice but are now rare. I suppose there are still a few people worshiping the Greek gods or the Norse gods, and I believe the Druids have made a comeback, but there must be plenty of gods no longer being worshiped.

How does a religion die out? Does some leader announce that it is over? Do adherents convert en mass (or per force) to some other faith? Are there always a few lingering believers? Does a religion evolve through a series of steps into a different religion?

Likewise, referring now to Christianity, have there been offshoots (heretical or not) which have died out? Have there been orders of nuns or monks which have failed to thrive?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect many evolve but the two that fascinate me are Zoroastrianism and the Cult of Mithras.

The former replaced by Islam and the latter by Christianity. But we still see many of the ideas in various versions of Christianity. In both cases, my understanding that both were replaced with the support of the new civil/religious authority which supported the new religion.

The Cathars beliefs contained much Zoroastrian thought which passed through Gnostic channels and we saw what the civil and religious authorities did to the Cathars in the Albigensian Crusade. Again suppressed by authority.

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For whatever reason, monotheistic religions tend to have greater longevity than polytheistic ones. To the best of my knowledge, only one major monotheistic religion (Manichæism) has ever died out completely.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merchant Trader:
I suspect many evolve but the two that fascinate me are Zoroastrianism and the Cult of Mithras.

The former replaced by Islam and the latter by Christianity.

Surely "displaced" is a better descriptor than "replaced" in the case of Zoroastrianism, since there are still Zoroastrian adherents today.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also Zoroastrianism was a major cultural influence on 2nd Temple Judaism and hence indirectly on Christianity.

The Mithraists were never that big a deal really. Just one of many mystery cults that died out with Western European and Middle Eastern paganism.

Catharism seems to have more to do with Manicheism than with Zoroastrianism, which was always rather more monotheist and less Gnostic than it sometimes gets painted. But then Manicheism sort of grew as a Zoroastrian heresy. As did Mithraism and a huge host of minor monotheist and Gnostic cults in Syria, half a dozen of which still exist, sometimes with some Islamic protective colouration - the Syrian Alawites are in some ways more like some of the pre-Islamic sects of the region than they are like the Shia Muslims they officially identify with. And as for the Druze....

IIRC the Mandaeans and Yezidis don't claim to be Muslims. But I might be wrong on that.

But it's all sort of complex fun. Syria (in the widest sense, including Palestine/Israel, Lebanon, the fertile bits of Jordan, most of Northern Iraq, and a strip of Southern Turkey) has, depending on how you count, somewhere between two and six entire monotheistic religions found natively nowhere else on earth. Which seeing as Judaism and Christianity are from there as well, and Zoroastrianism and Islam from next door in Persia and Arabia, must make it the most religion-generating place on the planet (outside Northern India)

But maybe its all over now that our governments are paying the Wahabites to exterminate all the others as a cheap way of assassinating President Assad. I suppose that goes along with the way we all but wiped out Iraqi Christianity in the name of taking revenge on Saddam for a crime he never committed. (One of the few, but our governments could at least have had the decency to accuse him of something he had in fact done. It's not as if it was hard to find anything )

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Under 1,000 Samaritans left - if you count Samaritanism as a religion separate to Judaism. As far as I can see, the major difference is that Samaritans believed that YHWH could be worshipped on Mt Gerizim as well as at Jerusalem - or perhaps, instead of there. With numbers dropping as low as that, problems of inter-marriage must emerge, and numbers dwindle even more.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've come across a couple of people who claim to worship Odin & his pantheon. I say "claim" because, in both cases, these were late adolescents, and they were essentially recreating a cult out of their readings of Norse mythology and their own imaginations, rather than continuing any handed-down tradition.

Interesting that the mid-east should be such a fertile crescent for monotheism. I suppose the only real competition would be California, which seems to give rise to odd cults every other week.

Do you suppose it's spending too much time in the sun?

Several years ago, I was invited to join a community of Wiccans operating out of the local U-U church. I went once or twice out of curiosity, but it seemed more like a meeting of the Society for Creative Anachronism than anything else.

It makes me suspect that what attracts people to religion is the opportunity to wear odd clothes (or none) and chant things in dead (or nonexistent) languages.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Interesting that the mid-east should be such a fertile crescent for monotheism. I suppose the only real competition would be California, which seems to give rise to odd cults every other week.

California has a diverse population and attracts people from all around the world. It stands to reason that a highly diverse population will contain a highly diverse set of beliefs.

The reason we seem to have so many crazies is not because we grow them among the lemon and avocado groves but because so many take the plane or bus from back East (and North, and South, and West). If California weren't such an awesome place to live there would be a lot fairer distribution of whackiness in this country.

It so happens the Fertile Crescent is a crossroads of civilization so it has also had a diverse population with a diverse set of beliefs. Like California, it's also proved to be an attractive place for settlers and conquerors, thus adding to the mixture and being a cradle of civilization people have been there for so long a time every little religious movement was bound to leave it's mark in some way so the religious diversity is more apparent and obvious than it is in other parts of the world with less developed material cultures.

[ 23. October 2013, 02:02: Message edited by: Pancho ]

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Several years ago, I was invited to join a community of Wiccans operating out of the local U-U church. I went once or twice out of curiosity, but it seemed more like a meeting of the Society for Creative Anachronism than anything else.

It makes me suspect that what attracts people to religion is the opportunity to wear odd clothes (or none) and chant things in dead (or nonexistent) languages.

Well the Society for Creative Anachronism was founded in Berkeley.

California has a larger collection of craziness and future trends in part because of the American habit of moving west when you felt restricted by the conforming society. Eventually they ran out of West and the craziness had to pile up on the coast.

An earlier version of this was the 19th century Burned-over district of upstate New York and Pennsylvania at a time when Buffalo New York was considered the frontier.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've come across a couple of people who claim to worship Odin & his pantheon.
I had a mate like that...he was a bright guy with a pure math PhD, and I got the impression his stance was more an invitation to the (many) liberal humanists he knew, along with the (few) Christians, to prove to him why his position made any less sense than theirs.

He did lend me an academic book on the Norse gods which was very interesting, but this is a decade ago and I have forgotten the title/author. One point I do remember is that the idea of Norse gods we have is apparently very late-phase, when other cultures got close enough to them to talk to them and write stuff down - just before conversion to Christianity, I guess. The book suggested that much earlier, aural stuff was utterly lost (as the OP). In some such cases, the name of a god survives but that is about all - 'Tiwaz' being responsible for Tuesday! It brought home to me the idea of the pre-historic.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a fair few neo-pagans and they're pretty open about their religion being less than 50 years old. Their contention is that the truth or otherwise of their beliefs is not dependent on their age. They use the ancient pantheons as, well, labels I suppose to identity their perception of the divine. So, one close friend of mine primarily engages with Lugh, the Celtic god of the sun. It's worth noting that this isn't really a teenage fad - most of my neo-pagan friends are in their 30s and have been on this path since university. I've not encountered any neo-pagans who believe the stereotypical wiccan reviving-ancient-pre-Christian-religion thing.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
trouty
Shipmate
# 13497

- Posted      Profile for trouty   Email trouty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
I've come across a couple of people who claim to worship Odin & his pantheon.
I had a mate like that...he was a bright guy with a pure math PhD, and I got the impression his stance was more an invitation to the (many) liberal humanists he knew, along with the (few) Christians, to prove to him why his position made any less sense than theirs.

He did lend me an academic book on the Norse gods which was very interesting, but this is a decade ago and I have forgotten the title/author. One point I do remember is that the idea of Norse gods we have is apparently very late-phase, when other cultures got close enough to them to talk to them and write stuff down - just before conversion to Christianity, I guess. The book suggested that much earlier, aural stuff was utterly lost (as the OP). In some such cases, the name of a god survives but that is about all - 'Tiwaz' being responsible for Tuesday! It brought home to me the idea of the pre-historic.

Surely Tuesday is named after Tyr, who we know quite a bit about.. I've never come across Tiwaz before.
Posts: 205 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several spellings of the name Tyr; Tiwaz is one.

Tyr was the Norse god of war, as Mars was the Roman god of war. In French, Tuesday is "Mardi", named after Mars. I guess many people associate Tuesday with war, perhaps a reaction to Mondays.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Tuesday was, well, based on it being the second day of the week (TWO day)

in Russian the days of the week are mostly based on their standing in the week, monday is "start of week day", tuesday is "secondday", wednesday is "middle" thursday is fourthday, friday fifth day... Saturday is "sabath day" (based on Jewish sabath, which we don't consider Sunday to have replaced directly) and sunday is "resurrection day".

not so long ago, even during Christian times in Russia the months of the year (and perhaps days of the week, I dont' know) had other names, based on pre-christian beliefs. but I don't think they were based on pagan gods, rather on weather patterns and nature, such as "windy month" and "flower month" and similar. I'll have to look it up to see them all. Russian pagan belief lasted a long time allongside christianity, and the "dvueveriye" (dualfaith) was quite common, and often not seen as directly in conflict (God is worshiped, but God created all that is visible and invisible, and such things as spirits of the forest etc. are just the "invisible"). common fairly late into christan times in the countryside, not so much in the city of course.

I understand that since the resurgence of religion in Russia after the fall of communism, there has been a moderately strong movement to return to pre-Christian pagan beliefs. some survived with the dvueveriye, but many were stamped out completely first by christanity, and later by communist atheism. so now they are being re-created from scratch and immagination by neo-pagans. I"m fine, personally, with those who acknowledge that they are doing their best to re-create something that they have little evidence of. it bothers me no end when something re-created is passed off as original, though. Some things have no scholarly evidence, yet are presented as "true". It's not the belief itself that bothers me, it's the mis-representation. worship Perun if you must, but don't create a pantheon that you have no evidence for... or little evidence that is very controversial--and then claim that it's the true surviving Slavic faith. I mean, if you do that, at least say that it was mystically revealed to you or something. </rant>

I am fascinated by the way faiths blend one into another and survive that way. I don't see it as necessarily a bad thing, since Truth can exist in many forms that are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
I thought Tuesday was, well, based on it being the second day of the week (TWO day)

I thought that when I was a kid, but I couldn't work out the rest. We usually had fish on Friday so I associated it with 'frying'.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Except that traditionally it's the third day of the week, at least in the systems based on the Hebrew or Roman calendars.
Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
quote:

I thought that when I was a kid, but I couldn't work out the rest. We usually had fish on Friday so I associated it with 'frying'.
Friday's named after the goddess Freya, Thursday after the god Thor and Wednesday after the god Woden. That's what I was told, anyway. These are all Nordic deities.

I had a friend at university who claimed she knew some Swedes who were Thor worshippers. I don't know if Thor worship is the Swedish equivalent of Wicca-type religion.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
quote:

Friday's named after the goddess Freya, Thursday after the god Thor and Wednesday after the god Woden. That's what I was told, anyway. These are all Nordic deities.

I had a friend at university who claimed she knew some Swedes who were Thor worshippers. I don't know if Thor worship is the Swedish equivalent of Wicca-type religion.

Friday is named after Frigga, Odin's spouse.

As for worship of Thor, worship of the Norse gods is a different branch of Paganism to Wicca (which is a modern Pagan religion started in the 1940s and vaguely based on Druidism - which is a different kind of Paganism to Norse Paganism), but both come under the umbrella of Paganism. Neither are restricted by location - Norse Paganism is probably more popular in North America than in Sweden.

Paganism is very diverse and some mix it with other religions, and there are even atheistic Pagans. The
Pagan channel on Patheos is very informative.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'...the Vikings worshipped some dreadful gods of their own called Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.'

1066 and All That

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The German name for Wednesday is Mittwoch, literally 'midweek' - how sensible.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In some such cases, the name of a god survives but that is about all - 'Tiwaz' being responsible for Tuesday!

But Tiswas is on Saturdays.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
In some such cases, the name of a god survives but that is about all - 'Tiwaz' being responsible for Tuesday!

I was just thinking the same. [Smile]

In a sense, religions are always dying as previous dogmas and practices are replaced or revised. Like the body dropping dead cells and making new ones, it might go by the same name, but given enough time it's a completely new proposition. That isn't really what you're looking for, but it explains why religions don't often die completely - they evolve.

But I'm surprised no one's mentioned Muggletonians yet. They're famously extinct, at least as far as anyone can tell - it might be that there are a couple of breeding pairs lying low in the urban jungle, but as there hasn't been a reported sighting for several decades, they can probably be considered functionally extinct.

Like other long-gone ancient beliefs, though, even Muggletonians could be argued to live on in some form, through people who hold any of their distinctive beliefs, even if they've never heard of Lodowicke Muggleton. It's often useful to think of beliefs in terms broad categories based on personal identification, but at a certain point it begins to break down at the fringes.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tyr and Tiwaz are one and the same.

In fact the version of the name I learnt was 'Tiw', which is the form that most directly lead to 'Tuesday'.

It's not really any different to the fact that Wednesday is Woden's Day, not Odin's Day. I always found that one pretty easy because I grew up in Woden Valley.

[ 24. October 2013, 11:44: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, as for Frigg and Freya, apparently it depends which country/language you're in as to which one is right. Frigg for English and German, but Freya for Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.

Or so Wikipedia suggests. It also suggests the two goddesses might have a common origin anyway.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Oh, as for Frigg and Freya, apparently it depends which country/language you're in as to which one is right. Frigg for English and German, but Freya for Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.

Or so Wikipedia suggests. It also suggests the two goddesses might have a common origin anyway.

If you go by astronomical connections, Freya might be more likely, because her habits suggest Venus* where Frigga's do not - she is associated with Orion, being her spinning wheel. Having typed that, based on some illustration I saw as a child, my adult brain is going THAT CANNOT BE RIGHT! The thing hadn't been invented in her heyday, and Orion doesn't look anything like a distaff and spindle. The idea was that she was spinning the Milky Way.

*The deities of the planets which have morning and evening apparitions tend to be two-faced. Both Freya and Odin were originally regarded with doubt because of their association with seidr or dark side magic. (Can't remember actual source on this, as I've read a lot over the years.)

I would rather meet neo-Thor worshippers than neo-Odinists. The latter have posted edited versions of The words of the High One in which Odin describes himself. The full version includes him calling himself a liar and as stirring up strife in Things (or parliaments, or congresses) among other attributes not generally considered worship-worthy in deities. I guess I have to assume he is still active, whereas I usually put him in the box labelled "Doesn't exist, never existed."

I am reminded of a story about King Alfred and a treaty with a Viking host. They wanted to swear by Odin, but Alfred, knowing that oaths in Odin's name were not regarded as binding, insisted that they swear on Thor's hammer. Thor was regarded as policing oaths rather strictly, and, consequently, when the host turned up off Dorset intent on the usual pillaging and ravaging, the fleet was destroyed by a violent storm. It's reported in the A/S Chronicle, so it must be true!

[ 24. October 2013, 12:11: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
quote:

I had a friend at uni who worshiped a Swedish girl. Mind you, it was understandable.

I'll get me coat....

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Ha! And now you've mystified da yoof..

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

It's all in Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods, come to think of it. What happens to deities who start running out of believers...

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Whatever the origins, Frigga and Freya were both worshipped as different goddesses by the Scandinavians.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's all in Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods, come to think of it. What happens to deities who start running out of believers...

Pratchett also hits that theme in Small Gods .

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
For whatever reason, monotheistic religions tend to have greater longevity than polytheistic ones. To the best of my knowledge, only one major monotheistic religion (Manichæism) has ever died out completely.

Hinduism is #3 in terms of worshipers worldwide, per Wikipedia. Shintoism also outnumbers Judaism worldwide. Both of which predate Islam certainly.
More likely, the reason that monotheism seems to have outlived polytheism is more based on the longevity of the culture the religion is rooted in. A culture that persists will support the persistence of the prevalent religion as well.

[ 24. October 2013, 13:23: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
quote:

Pratchett also hits that theme in Small Gods .
True. But if you're trying to play 'spot the real-world deity (who is now slumming it on another continent)', Gaiman provides the more interesting and textured challenge.

As well as some genuinely creepy moments.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
More likely, the reason that monotheism seems to have outlived polytheism is more based on the longevity of the culture the religion is rooted in. A culture that persists will support the persistence of the prevalent religion as well.

There is also the fact that the monotheistic religions are relatively new; Ancient Egyptian culture and religion lasted for over 3,000 years before dying out. Obviously the religion evolved over that time, but there was some continuity, including names of deities.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hinduism is #3 in terms of worshipers worldwide, per Wikipedia. Shintoism also outnumbers Judaism worldwide. Both of which predate Islam certainly.

Is Hinduism actually polytheistic? My (limited) contact with Hindus suggests that the "gods" are different aspects of a single deity.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding is that it's closer to polytheistic than monotheistic, but as Wikipedia again says, there's a spectrum. From explanations given to me, even within the strain of hinduism that only recognizes a single Supreme Being, his/her avatars or devas are also worthy of worship, which sets it apart from Islam, Judaism and Christianity, where there is only one God worthy of worship.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
My understanding is that it's closer to polytheistic than monotheistic, but as Wikipedia again says, there's a spectrum. From explanations given to me, even within the strain of hinduism that only recognizes a single Supreme Being, his/her avatars or devas are also worthy of worship, which sets it apart from Islam, Judaism and Christianity, where there is only one God worthy of worship.

*Pedant's Corner* Only one God being worthy of worship is henotheism, monotheism is only one God existing. Many modern Pagans are henotheists for example (worshipping their preferred deity or deities but acknowledging the existence of others).

Sikhism also only has one God and has origins in both Islam and Hinduism.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My understanding is that it's closer to polytheistic than monotheistic, but as Wikipedia again says, there's a spectrum.

AIUI Greek and Roman paganism was also a spectrum. Philosophers like Plato and Aristotle and Zeno all seem quite clear that there was one Supreme Being. And the most famous stories about the Greek gods mostly come from Ovid's Metamorphoses, which ends with the explanation that it's all really an allegory for Neo-Pythagoreanism, which was broadly monotheistic.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016