homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Back and Forth: The Tennis Thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Back and Forth: The Tennis Thread
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But a break up in the second. I would still go for Djokovic for this one.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
badger@thesett
Shipmate
# 16422

- Posted      Profile for badger@thesett   Email badger@thesett   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am guessing Djokovic won

--------------------
handle with care, can explode without apparent reason

Posts: 319 | From: Hull | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, and so did Federer who also got off to a shaky start.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Federer is still amazing. That was some recovery last night and the fourth set was nail-bitingly wonderful viewing.

[Some really special late evening closed-roof Centre Court matches this year. Rosol was mesmerising in that 5th set against Nadal. And this is just the first week.]

[ 30. June 2012, 06:21: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serena won (just) while Venus looked on, lethargically.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why on earth does it take so bloody long for play to resume after the decision to close the roof?

The Docklands Stadium in Melbourne is much older than the roof at Wimbledon (opened in 2000) and as a full-sized oval stadium for football cricket has a much bigger roof, but even that closes fully in under eight minutes.

The two venues at Melbourne Park (used for the Australian Open) with retractable covering both get things moving again in under ten minutes, with five minutes being the target for the next venue there to get a roof.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Why on earth does it take so bloody long for play to resume after the decision to close the roof?

Not particularly long to close the roof, but a while to adjust the air con, I believe.

BTW, you never substantiated your remark about Murray's 'tantrums'.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

An 11:02 victory for Murray - about as late as it could possibly be, and then a bit more.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phew! A different sort of cliff-hanger. I suspect there will be more legal and quasi-legal "chat" about the "absolute" limit of 11pm. Well done, Andy Murray. A bit of a white-knuckle ride!

Some mouth-watering ties in the fourth round. Murray-Cilic and Ferrer-Del Potro both scheduled for Court 1. And heavy rain forecast for London ...

Maybe both Cilic and Murray will have longer to recover from their exertions? Cilic probably needs that more than Murray. He's a dangerous opponent on grass.

If Andy Murray gets through that one, it's Ferrer or Del Potro next. Our boy will do very well to make the semis this year - and if he does, it looks like Tsonga is the likely opponent there. Andy says he'll have to play better to go deep into the second week. You can say that again. "Out of his skin", I should think.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Good for Andy Murray. By far the hardest draw of any of the top players and he's made the semis. And Tsonga lies in waiting. Another tough one.

Based on today's form, Federer-Djoko will be an absolute cracker.

The final I'd like to see would be Murray-Federer.

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Which I also think will give Murray the best chance of winning...

Looking forward to Fridays matches now. One of the ladies from my church has center court tickets for both Sat and Sun. I am very jealous.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I love the way Andy Murray never lets you be quite sure whether he is going to win or not, because all the time he is only just getting by, a few points ahead of his opponent. And also at times only a few points behind. It makes for very exciting tennis!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
... One of the ladies from my church has center court tickets for both Sat and Sun. I am very jealous.

I used to think that I'd like to go to Wimbledon too, TD - back in the late 70s and early 80s when there were players who I really wanted to bump into.*

You can console yourself that you'll get a far better view of the match on television. [Big Grin]

* Step forward, Mr. Borg ... **sigh** [Hot and Hormonal]

PS Good luck, Mr. Murray. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've watched dribs and drabs of the matches as I get the Tennis Channel on tele. Interesting to see that Serena played doubles and that her sister did not. There were two siblings in another match...

There was a good interview with Djolovic following the last scores reported; his English is quite good.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I have a terrible time telling apart all the tall blonde women taking part at the mo. And if they ever change their hairstyle and undo their plaits or pony tails, or change the colour of their knickers, I'm done for.

I'd really like Radwanska to win the final. I thought she held her cool against Kerber beautifully.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sort of miss Anna Kournikova: she couldn't play her way out of a paper bag, but she was a fashion-plate and her attempts at tennis were fun to watch. I guess we shouldn't wish to go back to the days when Russian girls really didn't play very well...

Where is Kerber from anyway?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

It certainly looks as if Federer will be turning up.
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

Where is Kerber from anyway?

Germany. (Google is your friend.)

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

It certainly looks as if Federer will be turning up.
You are in luck. Murray too!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Be careful what you wish for. Apparently the Queen may well be at Wimbledon on Sunday. Hope Federer realises what is expected of him ....

Actually, I think he'll win. But Andy Murray probably does have a better chance against him. Particularly if it's a long match.

Federer to win any three setter, even money on a four setter, Andy to win if it goes to five sets. But on balance, Fed will make his day and ruin a lot of other folks' day. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Be careful what you wish for. Apparently the Queen may well be at Wimbledon on Sunday. Hope Federer realises what is expected of him ....
y. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

There was a British win for the silver jubilee (Virginia Wade) so there's an emotional precedent.
quote:

Actually, I think he'll win. But Andy Murray probably does have a better chance against him. Particularly if it's a long match.

Federer to win any three setter, even money on a four setter, Andy to win if it goes to five sets. But on balance, Fed will make his day and ruin a lot of other folks' day. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

I'm sure Federer's error count is lower, and that will count against Murray. Federer will accept the dramatic winners Murray can play, make his own winners and win the title on 'unforced' errors. It could be a classic high-risk v low-risk match.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Don't go to Russia, Mr Tsonga. The last loser to a British finalist went on to die in the Battle of Stalingrad.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Federer's a wonderful player, apparently a gentleman and doubtless a Jolly Good Chap, but he's had enough wins to last several lifetimes. This is the best chance Murray's ever likely to get, so I wish him all the luck at my disposal (that may not be much, but at least I'm trying).

I see he's still British (for the moment ...) [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

.... And Marray wins! A 'spello' and a portent?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Really pleased to hear that Marray and Neilsen won - I saw the first three sets, and then TSN* decided that a game of rounders or something was more important, so I didn't see the rest. [Frown]

I was really impressed with their playing though - and wonderful to have a British win.

Maybe another one tomorrow ...? [Smile]

* &#$&%*# American television channels [Mad]

[ 08. July 2012, 01:52: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Really pleased to hear that Marray and Neilsen won - I saw the first three sets, and then TSN* decided that a game of rounders or something was more important, so I didn't see the rest. [Frown]

I was really impressed with their playing though - and wonderful to have a British win.

Maybe another one tomorrow ...? [Smile]

* &#$&%*# American television channels [Mad]

How come you got any coverage? The contestants were from GB, Sweden, Denmark and Romania, ie, no Americans.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
piglet, the Marray/Neilsen match was great all the way through! I'm still recovering.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Radio Leeds were claiming Liverpool born Marray as a Yorkshireman this morning. He lives in Sheffield.

Had he lost I'm sure he would have been Lancastrian [Biased]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
But on balance, Fed will make his day and ruin a lot of other folks' day. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

Wish I'd been wrong about that. Very good final, Andy had chances to win the first two sets, but it was not to be. And Federer was the better once it went under the roof. Not sure anyone would have lived with him with the form he showed in sets 3 and 4. And now he's deservedly back to world number one.

I've been watching tennis for over 50 years and Federer is the best player, and the best match player, I've seen during that time. And Murray is by some distance the best UK player I've seen during that time. He's seeking a Grand Slam in an exceptional era for men's tennis. Hope he gets one -soon. These kinds of disappointments are not easy to overcome.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I sort of miss Anna Kournikova: she couldn't play her way out of a paper bag, but she was a fashion-plate and her attempts at tennis were fun to watch.

She was the world number one women's doubles player for a while.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
How come you got any coverage? The contestants were from GB, Sweden, Denmark and Romania, ie, no Americans.

That's a very good point, SS. Maybe they'd booked X hours of coverage in case the ladies' singles went on for a while - after all it did have a 'Murcan in it. [Devil]

I'm heartbroken for Andy; I didn't see much of it (choral duties, you understand), but at least he took a set off the great Fed (and perhaps would have taken more if they hadn't had to put the roof on - I heard one commentator say before the match that being under cover would work to Federer's advantage). However, he was a much more gallant loser than anyone might have expected.

I've come to the conclusion that, although he seems to work really well with Ivan Lendl, that gentleman lost two Wimbledon finals and didn't win any ... maybe he should approach Bjorn Borg or Pete Sampras ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I saw most of the finals on ESPN. I switched off when the result was no longer in doubt. Had the match been longer, Murray may well have won.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

**bump**

Andy Murray has just won the U.S. Open!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
**bump**

Oh I say.

I was nervous turning on the pc this am but YEAH.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Serena was awesome last weekend. She really might be the best woman tennis player of all time. The next time I am in Santa Barbara, I'll see if I can find John MacEnroe and ask him what he thinks...

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
**bump**

Woo hoo! what a brilliant result! and a brilliant match - no way could I go to sleep until it was all over. Tired now. zzzzzzzzz

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
... Oh I say ...

Ah, someone else who's old enough to remember Dan Maskell ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I don't have Chorister's stamina (or nerves of steel) and I turned in just after Djoko won the third set. Thought "this will be a five setter for sure". I still have PTSD from the Henman era!

Anyway, woke up at four, was careful not to disturb Mrs B and checked it out on the mobile. A very loud silent "YEAHHHHHHH!" - then I went back to sleep.

Watching the replay was exhausting enough, Chorister. Tips my hat to you for coping with that match in "real time".

Good for Andy. He's a great player, certainly a worthy Grand Slam winner. Hope it's the first of many for him.

Now for the Ryder Cup!!

[ 12. September 2012, 11:35: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Thought this might be worth a <<bump>> ...

The Australian Open has been good therapy for a post 'flu (and post virally fatigued convalescent. Some epic matches, not least today's between Murray and Federer. It now looks as though there is a Big Two in the men's game (rather than the Big Four).

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Yes, I watched the Murray-Federer match this morning - another edge-of-seat contest. And Murray does seem to love going to five sets. Federer just ran out of steam towards the end, otherwise it was a close-fought match.

Looking forward to the final on Sunday - I should be singing really, but sometimes other priorities take over....

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When you're the organist's wife, nothing takes precedence over singing ... [Big Grin]

Still, good luck Andy! **crosses fingers** [Smile]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

So who's sat watching the TV on a Sunday morning?

Will Murray hold this game?

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Well it got off to a blistering start.....
And then ended in blisters.

Andy tried so hard, but in the end just couldn't do it. Fantastic playing from Djokovich, who presumably remained blister-free throughout.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
So who's sat watching the TV on a Sunday morning?

Of course. God has to accept coming second sometimes!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you suggesting that God is Scottish, ginger, and has a weird adam's apple?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It would explain a lot.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just in case you want some context for the new title. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I thought that's what you were getting at.

I didn't see the match today - some of us have choirs who need us. [Devil]

Never mind, Andy - save yourself for Windlebum.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Before this thread sinks down to page two, while waiting for the next big tournament to begin, I'd just like to draw shipmates' attention to the rather amusing sight we were treated to throughout the Murray-Djokovich match, where a large alligator (Lacoste advert) was positioned just behind the head of each player, looking for all the world, in the camera close-ups, as if she was about to bite off their heads!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

:bump:

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016