homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Football Thread 2013 (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Football Thread 2013
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know quite where else to post this, but it is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long while. What Might Happen if a Football Coach Coached Soccer?

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife made me watch it yesterday. It was unbelievable!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty good viral advertizing from NBC, who just paid a lot of money to put premier league games on over-the-air TV in the United States. As a fan with rabbit ears, I'm all for it.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too! I am looking forward to more Spurs matches, especially if the new players in the side are on board! I might even wear my THFC shirt to the nearest Irish pub if I know City are not playing - one of the owners is a rabid fan and one of the barmen still plays football himself although he is also over 40...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay, my team is first!! [Yipee] [Yipee]

I propose that we end the competition now! [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Newport County are definitely back! After beating Accrington Stanley 4-1 at the weekend, they went to Brighton yesterday in the League Cup and won 3-1.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone watch the Community Shield today?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's two days until the Premiership kicks off.

What are your predictions for the season? They can be for the winner, relegated teams, outstanding players, first managerial sacking, humorous episodes, or anything else you can think of.

I'm going to predict that Chelsea will win the league. This isn't just blind club loyalty - I really think that the combination of our new signings, our experienced core of players, and the best manager in the league give us a really good chance of doing it.

I'm also going to predict that Spurs will finish above Arsenal. I really think that Wenger has lost the plot, and that Spurs have quietly done some decent business this summer. If they can hang on to Bale (and I think that they will) then they'll finish fourth this season.

Finally, it's a shoo-in that Mark Hughes will be useless at Stoke. He'll try to get their neanderthal players to change their style and will completely and utterly fail to do so. Shawcross, Walters et. al simply don't know another way. ;-)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs
Man U

[Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I.F. - I agree with all your predictions! I think Chelsea will just beat Man City to the title, Spurs are looking good, and Stoke could really struggle. I'm a Southampton fan and hereby make a wildly optimistic prediction of a top 8 finish for the Saints.

Seriously though, I do think 8th place is feasible for Southampton. The top six will surely be Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal (in that order, if you insist) but then who's next? Everton - nah, Martinez is awful at organising a defence. Swansea - maybe, and I think that'd be a great story. West Brom - again, maybe. Norwich - just possibly; they've bought well. Saints - in with a genuine shout, I reckon.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More interested in who's going to crawl out of the Conference.

Luton finally I think.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
I.F. - I agree with all your predictions! I think Chelsea will just beat Man City to the title, Spurs are looking good, and Stoke could really struggle. I'm a Southampton fan and hereby make a wildly optimistic prediction of a top 8 finish for the Saints.

Seriously though, I do think 8th place is feasible for Southampton. The top six will surely be Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal (in that order, if you insist) but then who's next? Everton - nah, Martinez is awful at organising a defence. Swansea - maybe, and I think that'd be a great story. West Brom - again, maybe. Norwich - just possibly; they've bought well. Saints - in with a genuine shout, I reckon.

You have a touching faith in Liverpool and Arsenal there!

I doubt Everton's players will allow Martinez to do much damage to the defence - our main problem there is that the phrase "Tim Howard will be disappointed about that" has been too common over the last three years. While Martinez has brought in his backroom team and some players he knows, last year's first choice back four are all still there and they can play football at least as well as any back four Wigan or Swansea have had. The newcomers add to the skills available overall so I reckon we'll see some poor results early on as a few changes are rung (Alcaraz for Distin, who is getting on) before we get back on track for the Premiership.

I can't see a top-four finish for us though, unless Moyes and the Mancs go tits-up, which will be a huge boost to everyone, and likely cause chaotic results all over the league.

btw, I agree about Stoke. Hughes is dreadful and I'd like to see Villa take a reality check in the Championship, although Palace and Hull are more likely for the drop. Cardiff look the only promoted side with a hope so I reckon they will stay up in a last day drama and Newport County to remain in the Sky Bet League 2 (Division 4 in real money).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, maybe I'm placing too much importance on the manager's role in organising the defence. There is indeed plenty of experience (and skill) in the Everton defence so perhaps they'll be fine. As for my 'touching faith' ( [Big Grin] ) in Arsenal and Liverpool, who do you see finishing ahead of them? I'll give you Everton, I'm sure there's some chance of that, but who else?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Arsenal... Tee hee!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The game I was able to watch for free on over-the-air television was the United-Swansea match. And it's early in the season, you can't win the title in the first month, yadda yadda yadda, but anyone who is going into this season waiting giddily for a United nosedive appears to be in early trouble.

I'll pick City, Chelsea, United, and Spurs for top four, with a little distance between three and four, but I still think it is going to take a hell of a season from Spurs to beat Arsenal out for that last spot. Arsenal may not be a particularly fashionable pick, but don't think I'm taking their 17 straight top 4 finishes lightly.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I don't think it's fair to make anyone nail down their predictions until the transfer window closes. For example, Spurs with Bale are a different beast from Spurs without him. Ditto Chelsea or United with Rooney.

However, the one thing that I can be fairly sure about is that there will be plenty of unhappy campers at the Emirates. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

So is Bale finally going?

If so, I think that Spurs played it well. I typically don't advise spending money before you have the actual cash in your account, but in this case, I think that spending early allowed them to avoid the stink of desperation and pip some other "bigger" clubs for top targets. Early in the summer, it was conceivable that they were trying to keep Bale. Now that they are finally starting to act like they might sell him, they have shored up enough talent to be able to convince a few more pieces to come on over. I still think Madrid was trying to get Bale by creating a toxic situation for Spurs. The fact that they managed to avoid the look of a club in downward spiral, and actually look like a club on the way up even with the loss of Bale, is an impressive feat.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
So is Bale finally going?

If so, I think that Spurs played it well. I typically don't advise spending money before you have the actual cash in your account, but in this case, I think that spending early allowed them to avoid the stink of desperation and pip some other "bigger" clubs for top targets.

The rather nifty rumour /gossip I've heard is that the Bale to Madrid deal was done a week or two ago but Madrid agreed to keep schtum so Spurs could do their shopping without other clubs applying a 'Look at that pile of notes burning a hole in your wallet' premium. Awesome work by Daniel Levy if it's true!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Last I heard was that the deal was not complete, but should be done at £95 million.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like it's stalled because Spurs won't after all be able to sign Willian.

My crystal ball also puts Chelsea as champions. I think the return of Mourinho will give a psychological boost beyond the fact that he's the best manager they've had under Abramovich.

I'd like to think Man Utd will tank but last weekend's performance suggests they won't. City seem to be slowly imploding at the top though. So maybe Chelsea, United, City for the top three.

I want to say Liverpool will be fourth but I don't think we can overtake both Arsenal and Spurs. We don't have a goal-scoring midfielder and though Mignolet may hopefully be less leaky than Reina, we don't look much different from last season.

Wenger does indeed seem to have lost the plot (if he's got £40m, why the hell does he want to blow it on Suárez?), so unless he pulls something out of his hat in the next few days, I'm going for Spurs in fourth, Arsenal in fifth and Liverpool sixth.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
(if he's got £40m, why the hell does he want to blow it on Suárez?)

Yeah, why the hell would you want a guy on your team who scored 30 goals in all competitions last season?

It will be interesting to see how often Willian gets off the bench at Chelsea. [Mad] I rarely pull for United in a match, but tomorrow will be on of those rare times.

I'm still expecting the Bale deal to go through, and hoping that Spurs can sign Lamela quickly. Soldado has been impressive so far, but given his reputation as a finisher, it would be nice to have someone else out there who can get the ball in front of the net. (Not to take anything away from Townsend's efforts over the last week.)

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:

Because Suárez bites people?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:

Because Suárez bites people?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Perhaps a 0-0 tie was all too predictable. No one wanted to lose that match, and from the sound of it, the squads were still getting used to playing together. Chelsea may really need Rooney, if Mourinho looks at his current striker options and decides that the best bet is to start six midfielders.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I think that was a conservative tactical choice, rather than one forced on him by a lack of other options. In that sense, today's game doesn't add much evidence one way or the other as to whether Chelsea need another striker.

Personally though, I wish he'd back Romelu and give him time to develop. That kid could be amazing given the opportunity.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I'm glad my Spurs beat Swansea, even if it was only a penalty by Soldat!

It's lovely to be 3rd in the standings and ahead of the hated Man U! Looks like the new coach isn't doing his job very well.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Correction, we're in a draw for second.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I think that was a conservative tactical choice, rather than one forced on him by a lack of other options. In that sense, today's game doesn't add much evidence one way or the other as to whether Chelsea need another striker.

There was certainly talk in the online game casts suggesting that the absence of Mata in the lineup pointed to a defensive stance. Still, I'd expect one more push for Rooney, and maybe another call to Russia to ask about Et'o.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I listened to BBC's Saturday football phone in, and there were a load of Evertonians (one of them sounding close to tears) saying how disrespectful Moyes has been in his pursuit of Felaini and Baines. Any thoughts on that Sioni?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, why the hell would you want a guy on your team who scored 30 goals in all competitions last season?
... and who's been banned for nineteen matches in the course of two seasons, and who'll probably spend half of next season making 'Come and get me' noises to Real Madrid?

I agree he's a fantastic talent (although 30 goals has to be set against the fact that for much of last season he was Liverpool's only goal-scoring option), but in what other profession could you bite someone and still have a job the next day?

A club of Arsenal's stature, with Champions League football and £40m, could get someone better.

[ 28. August 2013, 20:19: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I listened to BBC's Saturday football phone in, and there were a load of Evertonians (one of them sounding close to tears) saying how disrespectful Moyes has been in his pursuit of Felaini and Baines. Any thoughts on that Sioni?

I've heard them. Are they surprised? Didn't Moyes think enough of Fellaini and Baines to bring them to Goodison in the first place?

They should get behind Martinez and ignore what goes on at the wrong end of the East Lancs Road, let alone the other side of Stanley Park. I'm afraid some of my co-supporters are behaving like we actually had glory days under Moyes. Close, but no cigar.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Admittedly I'm an outsider to the club, but I always thought you over-achieved under him.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Admittedly I'm an outsider to the club, but I always thought you over-achieved under him.

There were a couple of seasons, before he got the team together, when we would have been relegated without him! For the last five years or so I don't think any side with less resources (read: money) did better and I hope he has left something strong enough to continue but we've been off-key so far (two draws and, tonight at last, a win, 2-1 against Stevenage!)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Martinez plays a pretty different style from Moyes, right? My impression is that Wigan have always tried to get the ball down and pass it while Everton were happy to be a bit more direct. Could that transition be the issue?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Martinez plays a pretty different style from Moyes, right? My impression is that Wigan have always tried to get the ball down and pass it while Everton were happy to be a bit more direct. Could that transition be the issue?

It's not that simple. Everton under Moyes played pretty fast and wide (cf, the Baines/Pienaar combination and the growing importance of Seamus Coleman on the right). They certainly played quicker and more physically than any recent Wigan side. Very few pretty triangles, although we're well equipped to play that way, and if you can do it at pace and with power it's hard to defend against.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So what do you think Martinez is doing differently?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

From the little I've seen (highlights, nothing in the flesh), he is trying to keep the defence solid while introducing a more "fluid" game elsewhere.

It's till too early to tell.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs may win! In with a chance.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Lamela and Chiriches (apparently) signed, and perhaps Eriksen on the way. Aside from that little Willian misstep, I'd call it a successful last fortnight of the transfer market for Spurs.

For the conspiracy theory minded, how about this one. Some people suggest that Levy will hold out on Bale until the last possible moment to prevent Real from selling any of its surplus midfielders to Arsenal before the deadline. Could it be that Chelsea was actually thinking that way when it snatched Willian, and possibly delayed the Bale departure? (Probably not, but at the end of the longest transfer season ever (at least until January,) it's fun to speculate.)

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

[Mad] [Disappointed] [Mad] [brick wall]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Some people suggest that Levy will hold out on Bale until the last possible moment to prevent Real from selling any of its surplus midfielders to Arsenal before the deadline.

well, if he was, it nearly worked.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I don't know why Sir Kevin is upset. Spurs have lost one talismanic player on whom they have depended way too much and swapped an ageing, plodding midfield for a younger and potentially world-class one: they have also bought in Soldado who is way better than any other forward on their books. They are short of full backs though, so they will concede goals, but it wasn't me that loaned Assou-Ekotto to QPR.

If Spurs don't get to the Champions League with this material, they don't deserve to and never will.

Nevermind, I think Everton did OK, Liverpool did well (oh, and thanks to the red side of Stanley Park for beating the Scum last week). If you asked me three months ago whether I wanted to keep Baines or Fellaini, I'd have said Baines then and he's stilll with us AND we have Lukaku. I suppose that means he'll stop scoring now, which is what most strikers have done on arrival at Goodison.

[ 03. September 2013, 12:17: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile several of my relatives have taken screenshots of the league table. Perhaps there is not too much faith that Liverpool will remain top for very long.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
Some people suggest that Levy will hold out on Bale until the last possible moment to prevent Real from selling any of its surplus midfielders to Arsenal before the deadline.

well, if he was, it nearly worked.
"Nearly" being the operative word. I guess they kept Ozil out of the lineup for Sunday's game, but it still didn't get Spurs a point in the standings. Saturday night, if you had offered me a bet on the number of points Spurs would take off of Arsenal this season with an over / under of 3.5, I would have taken the over. And I would be paying out already. Time for the squad to gel and start creating some quality chances.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I don't know why Sir Kevin is upset.

I'm sure Sir Kevin will correct me if I'm wrong, but given that the timing of his post was shortly after Spurs lost the North London Derby...

But no - I think selling Bale for that price at this time was excellent business by Levy. He knew he had Real over a barrel and could therefore buy early in the window before adrenaline was high and prices (even more) inflated. I reckon they've got a good squad, although it might take the first quarter of the season for them to gel.

The big unknowns for me this year are Liverpool. Will they be able to continue their impressive start? Time will tell. But after three rounds of matches, I'm more convinced than ever that this is City's title to lose, and that Moyes is out of his depth.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

That would be correct.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Praying that all goes well for my side on Saturday and that it is televised here. We need to return to the top four. SIxth is humiliating!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Praying that all goes well for my side on Saturday and that it is televised here. We need to return to the top four. SIxth is humiliating! At least we're ahead of the hated Man U!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

After a nasty reality check at the hands of Costa Rica, the USA is officially in the World Cup finals with a win over Mexico. Even if they are our regional rivals, I would like to see the Mexicans put up a fight in the next two games and make it to Brazil themselves. It's good to see other teams from CONCACAF getting better, as that will only help the USA in the future. But given a year's preparation, I'd much prefer Mexico's chances of making it out of the group stages to Panama's. (Sorry to our Kiwi friends, whoever lands in fourth and plays New Zealand - it's down to Mexico, Panama, or Honduras,- is getting my support come November.)

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

A victory seems to have put us in a draw for first place - now if we could only beat Arsenal!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016