homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Football Thread 2013 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Football Thread 2013
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dempsey to Spurs. Replacing van der Vaart and Mordic is going to be tough, but getting an attacking force like Dempsey is a step in the right direction.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So much for his wish to play Champions' League football. Tee hee.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Liverpool paying the bills it seems.

I get the strong feeling Suarez is gone this time next season. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, as he can't seem to score consistently.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Dempsey to Spurs. Replacing van der Vaart and Mordic is going to be tough, but getting an attacking force like Dempsey is a step in the right direction.

He can score goals, like Adebayor and Defoe but without Modric and van der Vaart who will provide the creativity in the centre? Spurs' failure to sign Moutinho could haunt them.

I hope some of Everton's signings come good, there have been a few interesting ones and that the fans show some patience with them as we need some new blood, especially between the sticks where Tim Howard has been 'disappointed with himself' too often.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I just hope today's Spurs match has a less ignominious end to it than the last one! Losing Modric is very bad; I even had a pupil once who had the longest head of hair of any boy in the class; I compared him to Modric. Luca did not make many goals but he is an excellent team player and set up many for the strikers.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We used to have a Ship of Fools fantasy football league. Is anyone interested if I set one up for this season?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
We used to have a Ship of Fools fantasy football league. Is anyone interested if I set one up for this season?

Sounds fun to me!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay. The number you have to enter to sign up is

564230-478692

I've said to only start scoring from Gameweek 4, so if you don't yet have a team you shouldn't be at a disadvantage.

iF

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh, and Gameweek 4 starts after the international break on September 15th, so you have a couple of weeks to organize. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watched Liverpool vs. Arsenal.

And then read 4 different articles on the match.

2 think Liverpool are awful

2 think Liverpool did OK all things considered and are a work n progress

All grudgingly accept that Arsenal are back in business.

I swear UK sports media have ADD.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Watched Liverpool vs. Arsenal.

And then read 4 different articles on the match.

2 think Liverpool are awful

2 think Liverpool did OK all things considered and are a work n progress

All grudgingly accept that Arsenal are back in business.

I swear UK sports media have ADD.

Two journalists still think sunset coincides with Kenny Dalglish sitting down, and that Brendan Rodgers isn't 'big enough' for the club.

Two others like Brendan Rodgers and the football he wants to play.

All four are convinced that Liverpool's owners know sod all about football, especially Premiership football.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am dreading seeing my colleague at school who is a hard-core Arsenal fan. This the worst start I've seen for my side, Spurs, since I became a supporter at the beginning of this century!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I am dreading seeing my colleague at school who is a hard-core Arsenal fan. This the worst start I've seen for my side, Spurs, since I became a supporter at the beginning of this century!

Weren't you worse a few years ago before Redknapp took over? You were 17th or something almost half way through the season...

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Okay. The number you have to enter to sign up is

564230-478692

On which site?

--------------------
Ken

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

It's the FA's one here.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

"Hack writer tries to distance himself from the damage he caused."

If you ever wondered what 'crocodile tears' were, this is a fine example.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Any thoughts on England's stroll in the park yesterday evening?

The only thing that stood out to me was how much of a chav Tom Cleverley is. So it must have been a fascinating game.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Any thoughts on England's stroll in the park yesterday evening?

The only thing that stood out to me was how much of a chav Tom Cleverley is. So it must have been a fascinating game.

A nice practice and the early penalty helped. Would England have been any better with Rooney?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Englands match with Ukraine should give us a better
insight into their chances.
But is anybody thinking they have a chance of going
far in the comp.

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by pjl:
Englands match with Ukraine should give us a better
insight into their chances.
But is anybody thinking they have a chance of going
far in the comp.

We'll qualify, get out of the group and get knocked out at the quarter-final stage in a penalty shoot-out.

I don't think bookies are taking bets on that.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I certainly would not bet on any other outcome than the one you stated
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:

Weren't you worse a few years ago before Redknapp took over? You were 17th or something almost half way through the season...
I do not remember ever being that close to relegation, unless it was only for a week. I have been a Spurs supporter since around the year 2000: I remember getting baby clothes for my nephew at Christmas and he has just turned 13...

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

A quick glance at wikipedia shows that Rednapp took over in 2008, and that in the 2007-8 season Spurs finished 11th.

Meanwhile, club managers everywhere have their fingers AND toes crossed as another round of World Cup qualifying matches take place. England are playing Ukraine at Wembley: any predictions?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I too thought Spurs were in trouble when 'Arry tok over. Here's Wikipedia again (in the Harry Redknapp pages):

"In October 2008, following the sacking of Juande Ramos by Tottenham Hotspur, the club announced that Redknapp had agreed to take over as the new manager at Spurs. Tottenham paid £5 million in compensation to Portsmouth for letting Redknapp go. Spurs had secured only two points from the first eight games of the season prior to Redknapp's arrival and lay bottom of the league, but in his first two weeks in charge he took the club out of the relegation zone, winning ten out of the twelve points available with wins against Bolton Wanderers, Liverpool and Manchester City and a remarkable 4–4 draw against North London rivals Arsenal."

Tom Day was wrong. Spurs were not 17th, they were rock bottom! Two points from eight? Even Everton do better than that!

ps. England to scrape a win tonight.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Any comments on England? I watched the game on a crappy internet feed with Ukrainian commentary which was actually quite a fun experience because it meant that I had to really watch the game in order to follow the detail. I thought 1-1 was a fair reflection of the game - Ukraine defended well and deserved a point, but England didn't merit any more than that because their attacking was rather toothless.

But most interestingly, Uncle Roy seems to be making a concerted effort to change his stereotyped style of play: Very few long balls and centre halves trying to pass out from the back. It will clearly take some more work to get it right!

Meanwhile, in other news, Anton Ferdinand has made it known that he will not shake the hand of either John Terry or Ashley Cole should they play at Loftus Road tomorrow. Obviously I'm somewhat partial in this matter so I won't delve into the soap opera part of the story, but I do wonder when the FA will either get rid of the handshakes altogether, or crack heads and get all the players in line.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Any comments on England? I watched the game on a crappy internet feed with Ukrainian commentary which was actually quite a fun experience because it meant that I had to really watch the game in order to follow the detail. I thought 1-1 was a fair reflection of the game - Ukraine defended well and deserved a point, but England didn't merit any more than that because their attacking was rather toothless.

But most interestingly, Uncle Roy seems to be making a concerted effort to change his stereotyped style of play: Very few long balls and centre halves trying to pass out from the back. It will clearly take some more work to get it right!

I thought Ukraine were more skilful, especially early on. If James Milner was really England's best player (as I have heard) then we were fortunate indeed.
quote:

Meanwhile, in other news, Anton Ferdinand has made it known that he will not shake the hand of either John Terry or Ashley Cole should they play at Loftus Road tomorrow. Obviously I'm somewhat partial in this matter so I won't delve into the soap opera part of the story, but I do wonder when the FA will either get rid of the handshakes altogether, or crack heads and get all the players in line.

As you suggest, the FA should stop this charade. It would send a better message to the fans if the players did so after the game.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched two friendly games of South Africa last week: against Brazil (away), and against Mozambique (at home).

The first game showed that in spite of their win, the Brazilian squad definitely still has a lot of work to do before 2014. The match against Mozambique was plain boring.

Although I didn't watch the Holland games against Turkey and Hungary, I'm quite pleased with the results [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

James Milner was England's best player?! Who said that? I thought he was awful. Not quite as bad as Tom Cleverly, but pretty terrible. I thought Baines, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Lampard, Hart, Jagielka, and Lescott all had reasonable evenings. Dafoe was never allowed to get into the game because we couldn't get the ball anywhere near him, and Johnson's second half performance was a distinct improvement on his showing in the first 45 minutes. And frankly reasonable, workman-like play from many players who are not first choice will probably be enough to see us squeak through qualification. But it will be interesting to find out if we have another gear when Rooney, Cole, Carroll, and the rest are fit again.

--------------------
Brian Clough

# 3200

And it looks like Canada is almost out of it for 2014 already. Not quite as fast as 4 years ago, but darn close.

If you don't win at home, you don't go through.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

All will be well, or at least on the mend, if Spurs win today... Otherwise, we may not have the right manager but just a bumbling incompetent passing through!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh no Sir K, while I'm not AVB's biggest fan, you have to give him more than four games before you talk about his successor.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
All will be well, or at least on the mend, if Spurs win today... Otherwise, we may not have the right manager but just a bumbling incompetent passing through!

Well, there you go. A good 3-1 win, although you should be worried about conceding right at the end...

Bit disappointed that Charlton lost to Crystal palace, but think we'll prob end up mid table anyway.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I watched most of the Reading v Spurs game today. Reading had a really dominant spell for 15 minutes or so after half time, but were unable to force a goal. If they had (and that would have made the score line 1-1 at the time) I think the rest of the game could have been different.

But credit to Spurs: they defended well enough, showed intermittent fluidity as they attacked (two of the goals were peaches) and Dembele looks like a monster. Jury's still out on AVB though.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Everton v Newcastle was quite an occasion. First there was the pre-game tribute to the Hillsborough families, then a great game marred only by some lousy officiating. Then again, I don't think goalline technology will resolve all situations.

It's bad enough when you lose one goal through a refereeing error but when it happens twice you get paranoid, especially as we don't score buckets of goals. David Moyes can take a lot of credit for not over-reacting - I think many managers would end up with a touchline ban after that, but dignity isn't points.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Is it just me, or do the officials seem to be having trouble getting back into the swing of things this season? I think most clubs have got some legitimate gripe or another already.

In this instance, Moyes is right to be circumspect - the bad officiating hurt Newcastle as well, most obviously when advantage was not played for a foul on Ben Arfa as he broke from the 'not over the line' goal. But for the hour or so that I saw of it, it was a cracking game: proper frenetic Premiership football.

Now onto the Champions' League, where I'm sure we'll see a totally different style of play.

--------------------
Brian Clough

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last weekend my team, playing a home game, managed to lose 3–0, even after one of the opponents' players had been sent off.

[brick wall]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Off to Millwall v Cardiff soon. Last season's fixture one of the Cardiff supporters was so carried away by the exuberance of the occasion that he fell off the top tier of the stands. Not tonight I think...

--------------------
Ken

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When Madrid lost to Munich Mourinho looked strangely tired, and the team seemed without hunger. Both appeared to be hungry this evening, and I wonder if that game today will be their Olympiakos. Long way to go, though.

I like that Toure.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yaya or Kole? [Biased]

Yeah, he's a beast.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Oh no Sir K, while I'm not AVB's biggest fan, you have to give him more than four games before you talk about his successor.

He finally got the team up to speed last weekend and put us in the top ten. I hope they continue at full speed ahead. Looking forward to Sunday's match against Rangers. I am pleased with AVB now. Wonder when the new keeper will play.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

SPURS beat Man U at Old Trafford on Saturday!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, and they deserved it. Cracking game too - especially the first half of the second half, if you get me.

I think Spurs fans are organizing on open-top bus parade for Wednesday night. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I saw Flamengo x Fluminense (the famous Fla-Flu classic) yesterday. In Brazil, I'm a Flamengo supporter. In the last five minutes, while frantically looking for an equalizer, Flamengo managed to miss a penalty and have a goal cancelled by the ref [brick wall]

Meanwhile, the team I support in Holland, FC Groningen, did much better: they scored the winning goal after 93 minutes and 50 seconds!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

QPHahaha!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You have to feel sorry for Fergie though, only being allowed three minutes of injury time. Well maybe not.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
quote:

You have to feel sorry for Fergie though, only being allowed three minutes of injury time. Well maybe not.
He must be well pissed off, having paid for at least twice that. [Two face]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I don't think he pays for anything - it's his by divine right!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

'Spurs also had a good result today which bodes well for the rest of the season. I missed seeing the match on television as I was busy with Formula One...

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I hate international breaks. [Frown]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I hate international breaks. [Frown]

Youngest son (a Spurs fan) was mooching around the house yesterday saying the same thing. I found some MLS but he reckoned his Monday night seven-a-side is better.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016