homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Football Thread 2013 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Football Thread 2013
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Sat Mar 2:

Southampton 1-2 QPR

Redknapp and his lads have done it again. I'm in two minds whether he can save them from relegation. It could end up being too little too late, but with Harry's reputation you just never know. If they can pull it off, then it's a job well done. QPR are 5 points away from being out of the bottom three at present.

Looking at the teams they will be up against in the next four weeks (Sunderland at home this Saturday) I think they have a chance. Interesting times ahead!

I'm wondering whether to put a wager on it.... [Roll Eyes]

i'm no longer a BIG fan of Happy Harry, but I wish him well: as good as he is, the Dutchman is even better! I predict Spurs will be number one again in my lifetime, but then I plan to live to be over 90 and I'm writing my first novel to prove it!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for being dense, but who is "the Dutchman" in that context?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Sorry for being dense, but who is "the Dutchman" in that context?

Many years ago part of the Netherlands was a Spanish colony. Spain & Portugal are nearly the same, hence "The Dutchman". Well, possibly.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or Jol?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spurs have this AVB as manager instead?

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Niiiiice!

Or, perhaps, this AVB?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How nice that Mr. Bale has honoured his boss.

Pity about the yellow card for diving yesterday...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

You didn't answer the question, Sir K. Were you referring to Villas Boas? Because he's Portuguese, not Dutch.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Niiiiice!

Or, perhaps, this AVB?

But, IF, that AVB is neither Dutch nor a man. So, with all due respect, logic says your answer makes no sense.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was dire. Four mad minutes and we're out of the FA Cup, courtesy of Wigan, at home!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Sat Mar 2:

Southampton 1-2 QPR

Redknapp and his lads have done it again. I'm in two minds whether he can save them from relegation. It could end up being too little too late, but with Harry's reputation you just never know. If they can pull it off, then it's a job well done. QPR are 5 points away from being out of the bottom three at present.

Looking at the teams they will be up against in the next four weeks (Sunderland at home this Saturday) I think they have a chance. Interesting times ahead!

I'm wondering whether to put a wager on it.... [Roll Eyes]

i'm no longer a BIG fan of Happy Harry, but I wish him well...
Sat Mar 9:

QPR 3-1 Sunderland

It looks like my wager might pay off, if things carry on like this!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
That was dire. Four mad minutes and we're out of the FA Cup, courtesy of Wigan, at home!

I thought of you as I watched it. Worse than those four minutes (I thought) was the fact that they didn't look remotely like getting back into the game in the second half.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There'll be some headaches in Dingwall tomorrow. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

I thought of you as I watched it. Worse than those four minutes (I thought) was the fact that they didn't look remotely like getting back into the game in the second half.
Quite. Four mad minutes and 86+ tedious, uninspired ones. We wuz lucky to get nil.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

Well. Those were some matches today.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Wow, piglet, that's quite a result! Congratulations.

In other news, Chelsea came back from two goals down at Old Trafford to force a replay against United, and Spurs lost. Good Sunday!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not that I'm really a Ross County supporter, although I lived in Sutherland (the next county up) when I was a very little piglet, and have a soft spot for that part of the country. I was born in Inverness and I like to see Caley Thistle do well.

And I love it when the little guy stuffs the unstuffable. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Not a good result for Spurs on Sunday: Liverpool 3, Tottenham 2. Our keeper was having an off day.

[Disappointed]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

@#$% !!! Why the hell did Spurs bother to show up without Gareth Bale?! Adenbayor strove mightily, but we needed four more of him!

Bloody Hell! [Mad]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Bale was suspended for receiving too many yellow cards in previous games. AVB didn't have a choice on that one.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Right...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

How good it is to get back to a competition that matters, against a top team desperate for points and beat them. Last week, Everton were awful against Wigan, this week magnificent against Man City. Everyone played their hearts out, especially when we were down to ten men.

Robert Mancini - you are Officially Clueless. If you come to Goodison Park, Baines and Pienaar will attack down the left. Why do you decide to play wing-backs, especially wing-backs who can't tackle, against a genuine wide threat?

Numpty. Thanks for the points anyway.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, it's one thing to be proactive and try and shape the game to your own strengths (which is what I assume Mancini was trying to do), but you have to pick your time, and playing against the second-best left back in England is probably not the right occasion.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's Sunderland 1 - 1 Norwich at the Stadium of Light, at HT.

Wesley Hoolahan got the first in for Norwich in 25 minutes. Sunderland's was from a penalty - I think it was due to a handball from Bassong. 2nd half just beginning...

COME ON YELLOWS!!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

I forgot to mention our goalie Mark Bunn got a red card just after the first goal - but still we hung on, even when down to 10 men - well done lads.

FT Sunderland 1 - 1 Norwich

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
West Ham fan here. Watching the Chelsea game. Allardyce ain't got a clue. He's got no game plan. Hit and hope.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
West Ham fan here. Watching the Chelsea game. Allardyce ain't got a clue. He's got no game plan. Hit and hope.

I'm an old git who can remember Sam Allardyce as a player. He hasn't changed much - still all effort and sod all talent.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

I'm an old git who can remember Sam Allardyce as a player. He hasn't changed much - still all effort and sod all talent.
Oh gawd! He ain't changed much. [Smile] Change the tactics or change the manager. Big fat Sam ain't gonna change the tactics (getting him to admit his mistakes is like trying to get blood out of a stone). Bring in Di Canio. At the very least it would be colourful.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Or Bilic.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I was stuck in a conference so I wasn't able to see the game, but it sounds like the West Ham defenders didn't know how to deal with the Eden Hazard shaped blur that came past them this afternoon. Can you explain to me why Allerdyce took Diame off? That guy was the match winner in the fixture at the Boleyn Ground.

And as for the other London derby today, thank you Fulham!

--------------------
Brian Clough

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When it comes to London Derbies, Millwall didn;t do so badly either [Smile] Along with getting on to the TV twice (which will pay more weeks of the wage bill than it would for most 2nd-tier sides, never mind the Prem clubs) and getting to the FA cup semi-final.

And to cap a lovely weekend for South London football, all the stereotyped Milwall fans most hated rivals - Leeds, Palace, and above all Wet Spam - got mullahed. [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, the Premiership is back today after its two week hiatus for World Cup qualification games. Swansea v Tottenham and Man City v Newcastle seem to be the ties of the weekend. I'll be hoping the Welshmen and the Toon get results.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Not watched the second half of the 'Spurs match, but confidence is high after two goals in the first 20 minutes!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sunderland sack O'Neill, hire Paulo Di Canio, and lose David Milliband from their board in the process. What on earth are they thinking on Weirside?

--------------------
Brian Clough

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, result of the weekend was surely the mighty Southampton beating the champions of Europe! Up to the dizzy heights of 12th place in the Premier League and surely safe from relegation now. (Famous last words [Eek!] )

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah - awful weekend for us.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Although our replay against United today made things feel better.

Rio, what's the score?
Rio, Rio, what's the score?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha ha, I love football crowd banter! [Big Grin]

I was at the Saints-Chelsea FA Cup game back in January (1-5, ouch...) and there were several choruses of 'One-nil and you effed it up' from your lot, Imaginary Friend. Not exactly complicated, I realise, but very cutting.

Also from a Southampton FA Cup defeat a few years ago, came 'Oh when the saints, oh when the saints, oh when the saints go sneaking out' as the Southampton fans left early. Again, very cutting!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My 'Spurs came through and are back in third!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, any thoughts on Di Canio's appointment to Sunderland?

--------------------
Brian Clough

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Up the Owls!!

<ahem>Sorry. Couldn't resist saying that. Those three points may prove very useful. (And of course beating Millwall...)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
So, any thoughts on Di Canio's appointment to Sunderland?

Don't know. I'd have preferred it if he was at West Ham. I don't like Allardyce.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I don't think anyone likes Allardyce. Did you see the cut he was sporting above his right eye this weekend? Looked nasty.

But more seriously, I'm having a hard time coming to a firm opinion on whether or not his alleged politics should matter. Even if he thinks all the things he is accused of thinking (and I should point out that he denies a lot of it), I'm yet to be convinced that this should stop him from holding the job. Certainly, only a very few people cared when he was the boss at Swindon. But, Ad Orientem, you seem to be suggesting that you'd take him at West Ham, indicating that you don't think his alleged politics are a deal-breaker?

basso - your post prompted me to go and look at the Championship table. It looks on the face of it like your season is kinda over. Not worried about relegation, unlikely to make the playoffs. But that said, any day that Millwall lose is a good day. [Smile] (I soooo hope we get to play them at Wembley in the cup final. That would be epic.)

--------------------
Brian Clough

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

basso - your post prompted me to go and look at the Championship table. It looks on the face of it like your season is kinda over. Not worried about relegation, unlikely to make the playoffs.

We've spent so much time lately looking at the wrong end of the table that it's nice to be able to relax in April!
quote:

But that said, any day that Millwall lose is a good day. [Smile] (I soooo hope we get to play them at Wembley in the cup final. That would be epic.)

That would make for a good final. Won't make me go out for it, of course - last time it was $20 at the local. The cable people sent out an employee to run the gate. (grumble grumble)
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
But, Ad Orientem, you seem to be suggesting that you'd take him at West Ham, indicating that you don't think his alleged politics are a deal-breaker?

That's correct.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Up the Owls!!

<ahem>Sorry. Couldn't resist saying that. Those three points may prove very useful. (And of course beating Millwall...)

We are going to Wembley, we are going to Wembley... [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
I(I soooo hope we get to play them at Wembley in the cup final. That would be epic.)

If Millwall beat Wigan (which is at least possible if not likely) I'd much rather see City than Chelsea win the other semi. Not just because its almost always good to see Chelsea lose (not as good as it is to see Leeds or West Ham or Palace lose, but quite good) but because it means the final, like both semis, would be a London v. Manchester match. Fun for all the family [Big Grin]

And quite seriously, whenever Millwall do anything the press coverage is always about violence, racism, street-fighting and so on. That's going to be worse if there is a Millwall-Chelsea match because of the local Derby nature of it, and the history of a certain rivalry between the two sets of fans (old history because they hardly ever play each other) will increase the opportunities for the press and TV to stick the boot in (and also for the fans to as well, if there are any who still want to - not that there need to be the Sun, and the Mail, and Sky TV are quite capable of manufacturing a a Millwall riot out of half a dozen teenagers shouting at each other in the street)

Also the policing would be a nightmare. The number of tickets on sale would be tiny compared with the number of fans who would want to go - they are suggesting 24,000 per club, and Chelsea get a lot more than that to ordinary League matches anyway, and Millwall have had no trouble selling their 30-something thousand to the semi-final. And a lot of the fans who can't get in are going to go out with their mates who have tickets before the match and get pissed anyway, and be hanging around central London or west London. A London-Manchester final avoids that.

The same workls the other way round of course Chelsea v Wigan might be a better idea than Man City v Wigan - but none of the other club's fans have quite the reputation that the Millwall fans have.

I imagine that the FA would dearly love to have had four top teams in the semi-finals, to get a bigger TV audience. At least its evidence that the draw is not rigged. If it had been they would have kept City and Chelsea apart, so there would have been at least one big team in each semi, and a near-certainty of a City v Chelsea final, which would get viewers all over the world. Somehow I doubt that there will be many armchair fans in Kuala Lumpur or Sao Paolo tuning in to Millwall v Wigan.

[ 10. April 2013, 15:59: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And quite seriously, whenever Millwall do anything the press coverage is always about violence, racism, street-fighting and so on. That's going to be worse if there is a Millwall-Chelsea match because of the local Derby nature of it, and the history of a certain rivalry between the two sets of fans (old history because they hardly ever play each other) will increase the opportunities for the press and TV to stick the boot in (and also for the fans to as well, if there are any who still want to - not that there need to be the Sun, and the Mail, and Sky TV are quite capable of manufacturing a a Millwall riot out of half a dozen teenagers shouting at each other in the street).

My feeling from the Chelsea side is that those fans who could get tickets would relish a final against Millwall for the combative atmosphere at the ground, but no more. There is still a (rather small) violent underbelly to Chelsea's support, but the vast majority of them are on banning orders and so on. But that wouldn't stop them being around and about on the day of the game, and I can certainly imagine there could be limited amounts of trouble. But I'd certainly not be expecting a pitched battle on Wembley Way, as much as the Daily Mail would love it.

quote:
The same workls the other way round of course Chelsea v Wigan might be a better idea than Man City v Wigan - but none of the other club's fans have quite the reputation that the Millwall fans have.

Wigan don't actually have any fans, do they? The DW is always half-empty and I think I saw today that they're only bringing 11,000 to the semi.

quote:
Somehow I doubt that there will be many armchair fans in Kuala Lumpur or Sao Paolo tuning in to Millwall v Wigan.

True. The FA would be sharing Capital One's pain. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Effing sucks that we struggled to a draw with Basel the day before yesterday and then lost out on penalties! This is malarkey! The match was bloody well rigged!

[brick wall] [Mad]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

(One man team.)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016