homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Football Thread 2013 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Football Thread 2013
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get in Wigan!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks like Toon copped Liverpool's inevitable reaction to the Suarez ban. He didn't expect a 10 game ban and I'm sure Newcastle didn't expect a six-goal gubbing at home.

Liverpool did look pretty handy though, even if Newcastle were awful.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Plucky little Wigan's lack of relegation helped not the Spurs nor did Llorry's lackadaisical goalkeeping!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking at the table, Newcastle are being sucked into a spot of bother. I think they'll be okay because Villa and Wigan will take points off each other on the last day of the season. But to think that Pardew's boys finished fifth last year and took points off us a few short weeks back!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope Wigan stay up. I want to see Villa go down. I've never liked them.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm in two minds about Villa. On the one hand, most of the football-supporting people in my family are Villa (including two season ticket holders) so the Schadenfreude I'd enjoy would be immense. But on the flip side, I kinda respect that Lambert has tried to back the young players, play passing football, and generally do things The Right Way™ and I'd sort-of like to see some reward for that.

But it'll come down to the last day of the season, and then it's about who keeps their nerve. Given that Wigan have survived that situation before, you'd have to back them to do it again, I think.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Plucky little Wigan's lack of relegation helped not the Spurs nor did Llorry's lackadaisical goalkeeping!

What have you got against Hugo Lloris? Don't you remember that clown Heurelho Gomez? An OK shot stopper but not one to inspire confidence: when he isn't injured he is now picking the ball out of the net for relegation-threatened FC Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga.

The loss of Modric and van de Vaart have been far more damaging to Spurs changes: they have done well to be in any kind of contention.

eta: I agree with Ad Orientem. If Paul Lambert wanted to play in that way he should have stayed at Carrow Road rather than move to another of these self-appointed 'Big Clubs'. It's always good to see one take a dive.

[ 27. April 2013, 21:48: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to see Borussia Dortmund hang onto their final spot - got a bit of a scare though.

Cristiano Ronaldo was up to his old tricks again - they should rename him the Greg Louganis of the penalty area; the ref wasn't having it, thank God.

Mourinho looked very unhappy at the end - off to seek pastures new, maybe?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Let's hope so: Come home, Jose!

--------------------
Brian Clough

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My opinion of Dotmund went up when I found out that the reason they are called "Borussia" is that it was the founders favourite beer.

("Borussia" is a sort of fake-Latinisation of Prussia. Dortmund isn't very near Prussia. But it has or had a Borussia brewery)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The Merseyside derby was a so-so goalless draw, Man U v Chelsea is well into the second half, and that too is goal less but at Wembley .... Newport County have beaten Wrexham in the Conference play-off so they will be in League 2 next year!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could not see the Spurs match on television, but I only missed one goal and I can see that on the website. Would that Arsenal would stop scoring, wish we were still in third!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
but at Wembley .... Newport County have beaten Wrexham in the Conference play-off so they will be in League 2 next year!

Good result. Congratulations!

I've got a soft spot for Wrexham; I used to know a fellow who ran a Dragons website from San Mateo County. I think he's moved back home now. Still good to see Newport make it.

And Donny Rovers are promoted, we had a Donny supporter in my local a couple of years ago. He was a bit surprised to meet an American who'd heard of Doncaster, let alone knew a bit of the story about the chairman who tried to burn down the stand.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:
but at Wembley .... Newport County have beaten Wrexham in the Conference play-off so they will be in League 2 next year!

Good result. Congratulations!

I've got a soft spot for Wrexham; I used to know a fellow who ran a Dragons website from San Mateo County. I think he's moved back home now. Still good to see Newport make it.

And Donny Rovers are promoted, we had a Donny supporter in my local a couple of years ago. He was a bit surprised to meet an American who'd heard of Doncaster, let alone knew a bit of the story about the chairman who tried to burn down the stand.

Even in Newport some folk (not many, but some) feel for Wrexham. Three seasons in the playoffs, three times denied. Still, Swansea have won the League Cup and are in the Europa Cup next year, Cardiff will be in the Premiership next season, Newport will be in League 2 and while Wrexham will be in the Conference next year they have just won the FA Trophy, so four major Welsh sides won something in one season!

btw, did you read of the circumstances of Donny getting promotion? Brentford v Doncaster at the end of the season, Donny needed a draw to go up but, in the fourth minute of injury time, Brentford had a penalty. This hit the bar, bounced up field, and within ten seconds Doncaster scored! That was pretty much it. The whole season turned on one play, Donny go up, with Brentford consigned to the playoffs.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The best story I heard about that Brentford game was the designated PK taker, and captain, couldn't get the ball off of a loanee who would not give his own captain the ball. He then hoofs it right at the keeper.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And Brentford are still in it!

Its very possible that there will be five London teams in the second tier next season, and a few other south-eastern sides as well. Lots of local away games.

--------------------
Ken

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Merseyside derby was a so-so goalless draw, Man U v Chelsea is well into the second half, and that too is goal less but at Wembley .... Newport County have beaten Wrexham in the Conference play-off so they will be in League 2 next year!

Why the hell are Welsh sides allowed to play in the English league?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

For much the same reason people can post on Ship of Fools. They asked nicely and they behave themselves. Oh, and they're good enough.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Gordon Bennett! Might as well have teams from France playing in it too. Sounds stupid, if you ask me. At least they're not Scottish though, eh?
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

They have done since 1919. When the Welsh League was formed in 1992 - the first time that Wales had ever had a national league of its own - it was made up entirely of clubs that had formerly played in the English non-league system as none of the professional Welsh clubs (Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham) would be able to survive on the paltry attendances and sponsorships available. Indeed, eight Welsh non-league clubs campaigned hard to be allowed to stay within the English system as well, and the five who succeeded were all banned from playing home games in Wales for a few years. Newport County was one of them, and now they've achieved their aim of getting back into the Football League. There are two other Welsh clubs who are still in the English non-league system (Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town), which takes the total number of Welsh clubs playing in English leagues to six.

It's worth noting that the Welsh league has also had at least one English team - Oswestry Town (who have since gone bust).

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I still think it's fundamentally wrong. Wales has its own association. They play as a separate nation in international competition. They should have their own league as well.

--------------------
Brian Clough

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
LeRoc: Yes! After 3 consecutive victories, my team FC Groningen is now in 8th position! Only 4 more games to go, and if they stay within the first 9 they might go European. Hup Groningen!
After the penultimate game we are in 7th place, but we'll need at least one point on Sunday in the final round. It's a home game against Ajax (who are already champions), so it's definitely not easy. Keeping my fingers crossed!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I still think it's fundamentally wrong. Wales has its own association. They play as a separate nation in international competition. They should have their own league as well.

If they did then it would be Cardiff v Swansea, who currently have some money, plus a dozen unknowns who currently have none. Welsh football fans wouldn't be attracted to that so would travel to English clubs to an even greater than they do already. It would be of the standard of the Irish football leagues in short order.

OTOH, if we look at other sports we find that Glamorgan play in the County Championship contributing players to the England team and at times there has been a Wales team laying in the Minor Counties competition and (I think) in one of the limited overs competitions, indeed Scotland, Ireland and the Netherlands have done. Welsh rugby clubs play in Europe-wide competitions, Welsh-Irish-Scots competitions, have played in Anglo-Welsh competitions and some clubs, like Newport RFC are members of the Welsh RFU and the (English) RFU!

I expect there are plenty of "out of country" participations elsewhere.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
quote:

If they did then it would be Cardiff v Swansea, who currently have some money, plus a dozen unknowns who currently have none. Welsh football fans wouldn't be attracted to that so would travel to English clubs to an even greater than they do already. It would be of the standard of the Irish football leagues in short order.
You could apply the same logic to Rangers and Celtic. So why not let them in too?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
quote:

You could apply the same logic to Rangers and Celtic. So why not let them in too?
I wouldn't mind, but both clubs know their chances of playing in Europe again would be slim.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was good to see some well behaved supporters. Huddersfield and Barnsley fans celebrating together that their teams had both escaped relegation to League 1 due to Peterborough losing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I expect there are plenty of "out of country" participations elsewhere.

FC Andorra and AS Monaco come to mind ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, Ferguson, eh?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Is Sir Alex really stepping down? Who'd try to replace him?

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Word on the street is that Moyes is the most likely. (Any thoughts on that, Sioni?)

And by the way, Sir Kevin, you know what's going down at 1945 BST today, right? [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs v. Chelsea: I am home and shall be watching!

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know Sir Alex has been about a while, but Radio 5 was sounding more like obituary coverage than retirement coverage today! Took me a few moments this morning to realise he hadn't actually died. [Razz]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Word on the street is that Moyes is the most likely. (Any thoughts on that, Sioni?)

And by the way, Sir Kevin, you know what's going down at 1945 BST today, right? [Biased]

I'm playing the "He hasn't actually won anything yet" card for all it's worth. I've got plenty of time for Bill Kenright, but our finances aren't ideal so a backer with half his heart for the club and money to spare would be useful. Moyes would do way better in that situation than Paul Lambert has done at Aston Villa with Randy Lerner's hundreds of millions (est. $800m in 2011 in 2008).

I reckon The Special One will go to Old Trafford, leaving Chelsea with The Interim One.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I understand that as a tribute to Sir Alec, the Premier League will be adding 79 seconds to extra time in every game this weekend.

Fergie Time!

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Everyone is assuming that José Mourinho is returning to Chelsea. Anyone else think Mourinho and Man U is a possibility? I wouldn't write it off just yet.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend

quote:
quote:
Posted by balaam
Everyone is assuming that José Mourinho is returning to Chelsea. Anyone else think Mourinho and Man U is a possibility? I wouldn't write it off just yet.

I would.

Word is that Abramovich is balking at the cost of The Special One (and his team of back-room boys): if he thinks its a bit steep then it must be way beyond the means of the heavily-leveraged Glazers.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Word is that Abramovich is balking at the cost of The Special One (and his team of back-room boys): if he thinks its a bit steep then it must be way beyond the means of the heavily-leveraged Glazers.

If anything prevents Mourinho rejoining Chelsea it won't be money. Abramovich can and will suck that up. What he won't do willingly is surrender authority to Mourinho of the level he is likely to demand this time round.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

You people are toying with me, you're enjoying it, and I hate you. [Two face]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Anyone else think Mourinho and Man U is a possibility? I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Apparently the Man U job is going to David Moyes. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It's not about "letting them in" with the Welsh clubs, though. They're already in, and have been for nearly a century during the vast majority of which a Welsh League did not exist and the English leagues were their only option. That creates a very different situation to one where teams from a country with a long-established league system (in which they have been playing for many decades) ask to join the another country's league.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Be honest, the only reason why the question of the Welsh clubs is coming up now is because they are actually doing rather well at the moment, certainly when compared to the 1980s.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think Mourinho is a possibility at Man Utd. Although he might achieve something spectacular immediately, e.g. CL, he is also a prima donna, and would probably have a huge row in two years, and move.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Incidentally, if it is Moyes, I feel sorry for him, as it is an impossible job, and he will always be judged against the Boss.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Be honest, the only reason why the question of the Welsh clubs is coming up now is because they are actually doing rather well at the moment, certainly when compared to the 1980s.

Too true. There was a time when Wrexham were the highest placed Welsh club. Newport went bust and Swansea and Cardiff almost followed them.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Moyes it is. Well, Man Utd fans, wherever you are, fasten your seat-belts, it's gonna be a fucking bumpy ride.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Thank Goodness for that. Come home, Jose. [Yipee]

--------------------
Brian Clough

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I must say, speaking strictly between you, me and the corner-flag, that Chelsea have the most sublime mid-field. I said to the wife, says I, if they get another top striker, they are home free. Well, maybe. I live about a mile away, so used to watch them, what a fucking traitor.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

We could do with a proper defensive midfielder too, but I agree we're this close to being bloody good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Mourinho is both sane and egotistical. Sane egotists don't step into the shoes of all-conquering heroes. They wait for some intervening damp squibs. Who now remembers Napoleon the second?

--------------------
Ken

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, Lineker said that, rather amusingly. The prime job at Man Utd is to be manager after Moyes.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016