homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » twerking words into being (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: twerking words into being
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A folk remedy, popular in coastal regions of the Canadian maritimes. Made from seawater, beer, and other geographically variant substances(usually grasses or roots), brinfeakler is applied topically in the treatment of numerous skin ailments.

lardsy-bardsy

EDIT: Cross-posted with Jammy Dodger. Interesting thematic overlaps.

[ 15. November 2013, 20:57: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lardsy-bardsy: Cockney rhyming slang for police interrogation.

ponsel

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ponsel: The ancient right of Lords of the Manor to demand payment in lieu of throwing your livestock from the church tower.

Crustard

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear - I see crustard figures in the Urban Dictionary. They have it wrong, but I had better replace it with:

Bolcreen

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bolcreen: the type of pivot that allows angle-poise lamps to be so awesome.

Rulipide

[ 16. November 2013, 00:48: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rulipide - Rendered fat used to grease the the participants in Celtic wrestling, which went into severe decline after the invention of Morris dancing.

Snabuntum

[ 17. November 2013, 03:23: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snabuntum - ancient pre-Christian holiday commemorating the return of migratory birds to Glastonbury.

clorder

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clorder is both a verb and a noun, connected to the accumulation of useful things in a car. If you have a tendency to clorder things, you might have a first aid kit, a water bottle, a bible or two, a change of clothes, your gym kit just in case you get the urge to exercise, a picnic chair or two, a blanket, a spare jacket..... amongst the clorder in your car.

No, no, I'm not describing my car at all, there's still a tiny bit of room in there if you need a lift.......

Bitterslough

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Bitterslough - the accumulation of mail behind your front door after a spell away (or inside). Believed to refer to the unvarying presence of tax demands, electricity bills, charity begging letters etc.

Gastromaufry

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gastromaufry

A humourously grandiose word used to describe bad cooking. The analagous word "gastromauf" describes a bad chef.

"The gastromauf at that new steak place specializes in leathery sirloin marinated in bargain-shelf wine."

troconomics

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cost of maintaining the Palais de Chaillot

Induthanalian

[ 17. November 2013, 15:31: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Related to death on the subcontinent.

celetion

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Celetion: the hasty removal of celery from a recipe.

(Why are TV chefs so fond of adding it to everything?!)

slurker

[ 18. November 2013, 09:40: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Slurker - one who is perpetually inebriated. Originally meaning "one who slurks" - slurk being the noise of somebody falling into a vat of pig slurry.

Flarpweezle

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Flarpweezle

A variation on Judas, quisling etc. Specifically referring to a traitor who betrays his own side in return for amorous favours from enemy agents.

"That flarpweezle in London turned over dozens of Agency documents to a burlesque dancer working for the Bulgarians."

And, in the same way that "John Hancock" can mean a signature and "Shirley Temple" can mean a drink...

Marty Feldman

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
marty feldman - the bulging eye expression after being goosed in the backside, though could be also from a goat.

ahlspog

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear

Fixed Bearly Tone
# 9641

- Posted      Profile for Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Email Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ahlspog -- A variety of oyster noted for its sharp flavor and smoky aftertaste.

frangelscarf

Gladly

--------------------
Percy, Mace, and Grease be with you!

Posts: 162 | From: East end of the Desolation of Smog | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
frangelscarf - a miniature Patagonian potato variety.

tarcuttle

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tarcuttle: an ancient roofing tool with a small curved, scythe-like blade.

pippsickle

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
pippsickle

How dare you sir, this is a civilised website! [Disappointed]

[Biased]

Fent

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er...I do apologise for inventing an offensive word. On the law of averages a random collection of letters will eventually spontaneously create an inexcusably inappropriate word. (Monkeys and typewriters and all that). I humbly beg forgiveness from my fellow shipmates.

As you were. [Biased]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GeeZoo Whiz ! It's not like you gave us tittsickle or something. What's the next word?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin gave us

fent: pa.part. the condition of a car's bumper/fender after a fender-bender

ambithumbrous*

* This word was coined by my sister; I'll tell you what she meant by it once someone else has had a go.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

ambithumbrous: skilled at using a BlackBerry.

(I'll try and redeem myself)...

frintopulatious

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

frintopulatious - Jumping and singing while wearing lace doilies. Rob Ford has taken this up as a way to lose weight and avoid drug rehab. His mother supports it.

abbretach

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

abbretach: - a joint made with cheap glue that comes undone in a matter of days (tech. Aircraft Maintenance)

frazzard

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
ambithumbrous*

* This word was coined by my sister; I'll tell you what she meant by it once someone else has had a go.

Come on then piglet what was the real definition?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[tangent]
quote:
ambithumbrous*

My apologies - I forgot about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

ambithumbrous adj of a baby, having no particular preference for sucking either the right or left thumb.

[Big Grin]

Honest Ron gave us

frazzard n danger on the road caused by freezing rain

pliffitude

[ 22. November 2013, 16:10: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

pliffitude:

An expression intended to dismiss something as trite or cliche, but which itself has become trite or cliche. Example...

"Complaining about 'Soccer Moms' is soooo late 90s!"

In the above sentence, the speaker has fallen into a pliffitude, because to say "Complaining about X Is So [whatever time period]" is now a cliche.

Someone else can do the next one.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

In the above sentence, the speaker has fallen into a pliffitude, because to say "Complaining about X Is So [whatever time period]" is now a cliche.

Someone else can do the next one.

May I riff on your definition?

exissough

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
exissough

A humourous homonym on the phrase "X is O", shouted by referees during Tic Tac Toe competitions to indicate that a player has mistakenly marked down the symbol assigned to his opponent, thus forfeiting that round. The phrase is used both when a X player marks an O, or vice versa.

An example from The American Journal Of Tic Tac Toe ...

quote:
Round 5 of the Rozhestvensky-Blackburn match was forfeited when an exissough was declared in favour of Blackburn
Next word...

helloundia

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
quote:
[tangent]
quote:
ambithumbrous*

My apologies - I forgot about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

ambithumbrous adj of a baby, having no particular preference for sucking either the right or left thumb.
[Big Grin]

Brilliant. I was in the right ballpark then - the BlackBerry thing was supposed to be a reference to using both thumbs.
[Big Grin]

Carry on. The current word is helloundia from Stetson.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You were indeed, JD. [Smile]

helloundia n an herbaceous plant of the genus Cerberus trifloreans characterised by three flower-heads on each stem. Origin obscure but thought to be from "hellhound", a reference to Cerberus, the three-headed dog who guards the entrance to Hades in Greek mythology.

quixitudinal

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quixitudinal

The difficulty in setting longitude on a pitching and yawing ship, causing error to be made, and the resulting conflict in observations between neighbouring vessels in a fleet, usually settled by averaging the values.

guthmorge

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016