homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best Dr Who

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Dr Who
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So who is the best Who?

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one name was needed for all questions as there has truly been only one Dr.

[ 16. November 2013, 16:03: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this could simply indicate the age of Shipmates!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, not necessarily. My favourite is Tom Baker, which would inaccurately skew the curve.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
McCoy for me. The script writers weren't great but his later adventures showed a darkness of the doctor that I really liked. Curse of the fenric one of my favourites. Eccleston is second on my list. I like my doctor with his darkness, not just a clown
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Well, not necessarily. My favourite is Tom Baker, which would inaccurately skew the curve.

My favourite too. It could be because I had a drink with him, but that would only make me one of about two million people.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for adding Paul McGann to the list. We need some Lost Adventures from him. With a suitable companion, of course.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

My favourite too. It could be because I had a drink with him, but that would only make me one of about two million people.
This would also explain Peter O'Toole's popularity.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For complicated reasons involving maintaining personal integrity, and the fact that I've only seen Doctor Who in its post-2005 incarnation, I can't vote in this poll since four answers are required.

But I will state for he record, that Tennant is brilliant, Ecclestone is very very good, and Smith is a bit meh.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason I find it so perfect that Baker and Smith are running neck and neck. (Currently.) [Big Grin]

And I feel bad about picking Eccleston as my least favorite, because he did a fine job but I still haven't educated myself enough on the original series to evaluate those guys. He was just my least favorite. That one question really needed a "decline to state" option. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The beauty of Eccleston is that he brought the Doctor back, when many of us had given up hope. Watch his season again (27, not 1, of course!). I don't think there's a weak episode in it. I wish he'd gone on to do more.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom Baker for me too, as luckily I caught up with him on repeats (when they still used to do that). Sadly I've never seen a Patrick Troughton or William Hartnell episode in it's entirety, which might have changed my decision

but
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
... Curse of the fenric one of my favourites...

me too. This is my favourite single episode.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me there have been only two decent ones.

Tom Baker and Pertwee

The rest.......meh.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we give 5 points for favourite, 3 for second best, 1 for third and -4 for worst Tome Baker is currently (18 people have voted) streets ahead and Colin Baker way behind.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting that Tennant is way ahead in the "third favourite Doctor" stakes! My theory is that this shows that he is very good and that places 1&2 are reserved for "the Doctors I grew up with".
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one doctor really knew how to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and that was Pertwee. Mind you I am a huge fan of The Navy Lark as well. The doctors I grew up with were Davison and Colin Baker but I never took to McCoy until very recently. McGann is the indisputable radio Doctor shame his visual outing was a steaming pile of wotsit.
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
For some reason I find it so perfect that Baker and Smith are running neck and neck. (Currently.) [Big Grin]

And I feel bad about picking Eccleston as my least favorite, because he did a fine job but I still haven't educated myself enough on the original series to evaluate those guys. He was just my least favorite. That one question really needed a "decline to state" option. [Big Grin]

Oh damn. I didn't read the question and thought it said fourth not least favourite.
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was very fond of Tom Baker because he looked like my dad. In fact, my dad dressed up as him in 1977 for the Queen's Silver Jubilee street party. Good likeness, or what?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
quote:

Oh damn. I didn't read the question and thought it said fourth not least favourite.
Me too. [Hot and Hormonal] Well, I didn't read the question at all - just assumed. Sorry Mr. Eccleston!

I'm not sure who I'd say was the worst. Maybe Pertwee. I don't think I've even seen McGann, though.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not anymore - Tom Baker's run away with it. I had a hard time choosing which of those two was my second favorite, and frankly, now I don't remember which I put!

I actually find it really hard to compare the old and new series Doctors. But I think it shows in the way they played the part that both Eccleston and Tennant grew up with Tom Baker's Doctor.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I goofed on the 4th question, too. I think I put John Pertwee. He was meant to be 4th best.

I don't really have a "worst". There are about 3 of the newer guys that I haven't seen. If I HAD to pick a worst from the earlier docs, I might choose Patrick Troughton, simply because of that hair! But he was also the one with the pan flute, which I liked along with his personality.

**Since several of us misunderstood the last question, I wonder if it would be possible to ignore the last question? And maybe do an additional poll for worst? Just a thought.**

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor, unloved Colin Baker [Frown] . Was he really that bad?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Colin Baker's Doctor really was that bad. EVen worse than Pertwee. It was mostly not actually Colin Baker's fault - the production wanted to write a darker and edgier Doctor but didn't have the talent to do it right. So they just made him a self-centred bully. Colin Baker did his best to carry it off, but didn't have the charisma as an actor to manage it. Basically the Colin Baker era got the program cancelled. It was that bad.

Colin Baker's done much better in radio/ audio productions where the production team is half-way competent and has given some thought to making his Doctor work.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Yes. Colin Baker's Doctor really was that bad. EVen worse than Pertwee.

Pertwee's misfortune was to come between two very well-cast Doctors, Troughton and Tom Baker. It wasn't Jon Pertwee's fault that he was the wrong kind of actor for the role.
quote:

It was mostly not actually Colin Baker's fault - the production wanted to write a darker and edgier Doctor but didn't have the talent to do it right. So they just made him a self-centred bully. Colin Baker did his best to carry it off, but didn't have the charisma as an actor to manage it. Basically the Colin Baker era got the program cancelled. It was that bad.

Colin Baker's done much better in radio/ audio productions where the production team is half-way competent and has given some thought to making his Doctor work.

I have heard that it was a deliberate ploy to can the series.

[ 19. November 2013, 12:12: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Applying the points system above the Bakers are still clearly top and bottom. Tennant comes second and it is pretty close between Troughton and Smith for third.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Poor, unloved Colin Baker [Frown] . Was he really that bad?

I don't think he was; certainly I enjoyed his comments in last night's Guide to Who. Even at the time I felt that he and McCoy were battling with the BBC itself, who were running down the show in an attempt to cancel it. Both of them could have been so much better than they were allowed to be; I respect them for the way they tried their best to make it all work.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

The poll has now closed (if I set it up correctly) and the results for the 5 3 1 -4 points system are:

1: Tom Baker 110pts
2: David Tennant 72
3: Patrick Troughton 49
4: Matt Smith 41
5: Christopher Eccleston 28
6: Peter Davison 11
6: Jon Pertwee 11
8: William Hartnell 7
9: Paul McGann -3
10: Sylvester McCoy -4
11: Colin Baker -42

Does this prove anything? Probably not.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After last night I'm revising my scale. It now looks like this:

1st choice: John Hurt
2nd: Paul McGann
3rd: Peter Davison

I'd love to see more episodes with John Hurt - wonderful one-liners and a great presence. Didn't want to miss a minute of that last night.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Does this prove anything? Probably not.

We had a sudden burst of McCoy haters in at the end. I think they travel round the internet in packs.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'd've voted Tom Baker also...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016