homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Liberal Catholic: Young Rite (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Liberal Catholic: Young Rite
Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

- Posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall at least some of our shipmates being associated with the Liberal Catholic movement. Perhaps they could shed light on the following liturgical inquiry. The Liberal Catholic use Mass consisted of two forms: a shorter one, more theosophical in its content, and a longer form, more like the Tridentine Mass. Recently I came upon an alternative use: the "Young Rite". Apart from a traditional form for the Eucharist, the Young Rite provides online texts for a "Circle Form" of the Mass as well as a "Universal Form". The latter is.well, interesting, beginning with the priest invoking, "Hail Brethren of the Deva Host, come to our aid. Give us your fiery devic power as we give you our human love" and the salutation, "The Source be with us." This certainly seems more radically theosophic than any of the earlier liturgies of Liberal Catholic use. Any of the Ship brethren familiar with this recent Liberal Catholic Use?
Posts: 109 | From: Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liberal Catholic tends in the UK to be used by CofE people to describe themselves if they like high church liturgy but aren't Forward in Faith, i.e. sacerdotal but with women, and fairly strictly Common Worship. I'm not aware of any denomination here with that or a similar name, or with its own rite.

The liturgy you describes sounds like something from a cod science fiction film.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'Liberal Catholics' are indeed a denomination, although I'm not really sure what of. Some are explicitly Christians, while others can't really be described as such. One particular feature is that they believe sacramental energy is transmitted electrically so their vestments have to have wires sewn into them, to act as conductors. Or something.

The rite described appears... a bit odd, even for them!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you accidentally summoned Deva Indra and had metal wires running down your clothes it could be fairly tragic.....but possibly quite amusing for onlookers.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A load of their stuff is available online. It seems to range from being totally unremarkable to slightly odd in a sweet kind of way (I mean, singing O Come All Ye Faithful in the Eucharistic Prayer...) to some sort of astrology.

Their roots seem to go back to one of those 19th/early-20th century wandering bishops, which is a curious mess to say the least.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
slightly odd in a sweet kind of way (I mean, singing O Come All Ye Faithful in the Eucharistic Prayer...)

A church I used to go to used to do that during Christmastide, in place of "the mystery of faith".

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
A load of their stuff is available online. It seems to range from being totally unremarkable to slightly odd in a sweet kind of way (I mean, singing O Come All Ye Faithful in the Eucharistic Prayer...)

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that part!

See also previous threads on the subject
here... and

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a whole chapter in Peter Anson's Bishops at Large on the movement.

And I have a pocket missal somewhere.

And those Anglicans who like to call themselves "liberal catholic" might like to remember that the LLC got there first.

(I'm Anglican, gay, accept episcopally ordained women priests as valid, happy with the right options from CW and reckon I'm catholic. I'd never call myself liberal, although others would.)

PS I've sung O come all ye faithful after the dominical words in my time, and not in particularly ultramontane churches.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a little LCC fane in our fair city, but it's been used by the British Orthodox Church for some time now. I rather thought the LCC had died out in the UK.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's still a small outfit on the go in Birmingham (UK) I think. And they definitely have a church in Brisbane (Aus), as I have walked past it. The USA is probably the place to look further.

A rather odd sort of syncretism. I note that despite the name, some of these distinctly fissiparous churches will not ordain women except as deaconesses.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was certainly a Liberal Catholic Church in Putney until comparatively recently, although I have no idea whether it is still open.

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a Liberal Catholic church in Birmingham. It's a very small building, but it's well-kept with flowers outside, so it's obviously in use.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Peter Anson, the Liberal Catholic Church dates from 1915, when Archbishop Mathew of the Old Roman Catholic Church (sic) ordered those of his clergy who were members of the Theosophical Society (based in India under Mrs Annie Besant) to resign from it. They refused and got two of their numbers consecrated as bishop by the deposed Bishop of St Pancras. The second Presiding Bishop was an Australian, Charles Leadbetter, who was based in Sydney.

In his 700 page The Science of the Sacraments, Bishop Leadbetter stated that “the value of the biretta is of the same character of a cork in a bottle – to prevent evaporation and consequent waste. Such force as may be aroused with the Priest should be accommodated within him, and be discharged for the benefit of his (sic) people and not allowed to escape fruitlessly into higher planes as is the natural tendency.” Gothic Revival chasubles were better for “the flow of spiritual forces” than baroque ones.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
.... One particular feature is that they believe sacramental energy is transmitted electrically so their vestments have to have wires sewn into them, to act as conductors. Or something. ....

I've heard of some fairly weird things in my time, but I've never heard that one before.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Venbede, your post seems to have been simultaneous with mine. Is a bishop who takes the name of his see from a station obliged to choose a station called after a saint, or would King's Cross have been permissible? And is it only a biretta that prevents spiritual evaporation or would a straw boater do just as well? Perhaps wire pyramids on the head such as I saw recently in an OU podcast would have the same effect.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I'm going to try to post this scan of two LCC bishops from Photobucket.

Here goes:

A bit shorter....

[good attempt, but link needed shortening! Djo]

[ 31. August 2013, 07:26: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link worked for me.....

+Wedgwood's mitre has to be the most mity mitre ever to come out of the Mity Mitre factory in Mitretown..... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Glad to hear that, bf.

The Liberal Catholic bishops are positively restrained in their use of exotic titles compared to others in Anson's book. The mitre is something though, isn't it? Apparently, Bishop Leadbetter thought the lappets at the back of the mitre were needed to let the astral power flow from the mitre down into the cope and then out.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Trying to google particuarly exotic titles, I came up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesia_Gnostica

I haven't had a chance to assess it in detail.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

And good stuff here

http://magonia.haaan.com/2010/bishops-on-the-loose-danny-osullivan/

--------------------

Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

- Posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I appreciate the information on the "traditionalist" Liberal Catholics but I was concentrating on this "Young Rite" use. Among its unique features is the acceptance for ordination of anybody who desires such (using a somewhat traditional rite of ordination by the laying on of hands of those the Use considers to be in episcopal Apostolic Succession). If you check out Wikipedia on Liberal Rite, you will find all requisite links. The Liberal Catholic St. Alban's Press publishes their material along with the more traditional Old (Fogey) Use Liberal Catholic material. Their liturgical booklets include choreography for the rites, including episcopal ceremonies, which, as an admirer of Blessed Percy, I find of particular interest. The newer liturgical texts themselves IMHO are closer to Crowley's Gnostic Mass than to Tridentine use (and certainly not overtly anti-Christian as Crowley). If I may re-coin a phrase, the Young Rite folks seem to be advocates of High Church Episcohinduism.
Posts: 109 | From: Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
There's still a small outfit on the go in Birmingham (UK) I think. And they definitely have a church in Brisbane (Aus), as I have walked past it. The USA is probably the place to look further.

A rather odd sort of syncretism. I note that despite the name, some of these distinctly fissiparous churches will not ordain women except as deaconesses.

I can't find a phone listing for the Brisbane church, but there's one in Gordon, about 5 km or so from here. It adjoins St John's Anglican, one which by US standards would be very MOTR. There's another in East Sydney, in a street otherwise very full of red lights (or once was). There's another listed in Melbourne.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.youngrite.org/what-is-it/the-beginning/

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a Liberal Catholic church in Austin, Texas back in the early 1970s when I was a student at the University of Texas. At some point it apparently went more orthodox and became - in a different location within the city - an Old Roman Catholic church. That in turn became several years later some sort of Orthodox church, not one in unequivocal communion with any historic Orthodox patriarchate. This takes us up into the early years of the present Millenium. No idea what has become of them in subsequent years.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonata3:
http://www.youngrite.org/what-is-it/the-beginning/

Here was I thinking it was a liturgy written by Brigham Young.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this http://www.lccgrail.org/ - their HQ is in Bideford, North Devon.

A strange bunch IME and IMHO - not exactly mainstream Christianity

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

They believe in 'the ancient Christian doctrine of reincarnation' ???

Nope, not quite mainstream. [Smile]

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:

You are being considerably more eirenic than I would be if I weren't taking the mickey, Mark.

Anson links them with the Rudolf Steiner inspired Christian Community, as another theosophical version of (Catholic Christianity).

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Any of the Ship brethren familiar with this recent Liberal Catholic Use?

Sorry for the gossipy tangents, Patrick.

The straight forward answer to your question would appear to be "No", as many shipmates are not even aware what the LCC is/was.

I've just found a link: http://www.youngrite.org/official/

So Young Rite isn't a form of service of the LCC, but another seperate body. It ill becomes an Anglican to criticise others for schism, but these alternative, all-you-need-is-love bodies do seen extraordinarily fissiparous. Isn't unity with those you don't see eye to eye with an expression of love?

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm vaguely familiar with the LCC (and theosophy) as part of family history. Bishop Wedgwood was a second cousin of one of my ancestors and I suspect one of my great aunts was involved (and her mother translated some of Steiner's works into English).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:

Ok. I'll stop being disingenuous and I'll be honest : not mainstream at all from what I saw at first hand.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

When I was in a Steinerite community (and learnt there a deep respect for Christian orthodoxy as giving justice to the complexity of life) the texts I heard cited to support reincarnation were those about John the Baptist being Elijah, eg Matthew 17.12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church in Birmingham, UK, was down the road from where I grew up; as in a five-minute walk past the mosque, the C of E parish church and the Christadelphians.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
The church in Birmingham, UK, was down the road from where I grew up; as in a five-minute walk past the mosque, the C of E parish church and the Christadelphians.

Not very far from me, then!

I'm surprised that that church has been around for so long. I thought it was fairly new, but then I don't go down that road very often. If they've kept going for many years with a small congregation that's rather impressive.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:

Not mainstream Christianity, but probably mainstream Gnosticism.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:

Not very far from me, then!

I'm surprised that that church has been around for so long. I thought it was fairly new, but then I don't go down that road very often. If they've kept going for many years with a small congregation that's rather impressive.

I've checked out the latest street view on Google Maps; I have a recollection that the building used to be hidden behind a solid (blue?) wooden fence. Strange what you remember!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Patrrick - if you're still here - you asked a question in your first post which none of us have bothered to answer. I apologise.

I've looked up the Young Rite eucharists from the links and notice the following:

There are no scripture readings and absolutely no reference to the cross. The Rudolf Steinerites who I lived with never referred to the crucifixion but to "the mystery of Calvary". The squalid and cruel realities of capital punishment being swept under the carpet.

Young Rite doesn't even refer to the cross in a euphemism: far from remembering the Lord's death until he comes again (which I doubt many Anglican family communion attendees realise is what they are doing) their eucharist is only a means of personal spiritual strengthening.

The say how inclusive they are (without using the word) without dogma etc, but in fact they are exclusive in so far as they are giving access to esoteric knowledge for the initiates.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

Esoteric sums liberal catholics up really. Theosophy is the closest you'll get to their doctrine - but it's pretty much a case of you can believe anything as long as god or the goddess pops up soemwhere
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Actually, they avoid the use of the word "God", as did the Steinerites.

I also haven't noticed any intercessory prayer for others.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Young Rite site says this:
quote:
The Young Rite also ordains individuals to the priesthood for private services. These persons are not authorised to celebrate the public services of the Young Rite, nor may they in any way represent the Young Rite.
That's an interesting division.

Back in the late 1960s the Universal Life Life church used to ordain anyone by mail who sent in $5 or $10 (I forget which) -- for $25 one could be a bishop. I don't think they placed any restrictions as to what kind of services their ordinands could preside at. And i imagine they were happy to have them represent the ULC -- more publicity and more money being sent in!

Decades ago, I was at a wedding in a park in Atlanta one Easter morning and presided over by a random dude who was a ULC minister.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Back in the late 1960s the Universal Life Life church used to ordain anyone by mail who sent in $5 or $10 (I forget which) -- for $25 one could be a bishop. I don't think they placed any restrictions as to what kind of services their ordinands could preside at. And i imagine they were happy to have them represent the ULC -- more publicity and more money being sent in!

They're still around, but now, as all good things in the internet age are, it's free.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
BCP Believer
Apprentice
# 17815

- Posted      Profile for BCP Believer   Email BCP Believer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
The 'Liberal Catholics' are indeed a denomination, although I'm not really sure what of. Some are explicitly Christians, while others can't really be described as such. One particular feature is that they believe sacramental energy is transmitted electrically so their vestments have to have wires sewn into them, to act as conductors. Or something.

The rite described appears... a bit odd, even for them!

Do most C of E clergy secretly belong to this religion?
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BCP Believer:

No. Any more stupid and insulting questions?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
BCP Believer
Apprentice
# 17815

- Posted      Profile for BCP Believer   Email BCP Believer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

It was a joke. Obviously struck a nerve though.
Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

Thanks, VenBede, for your research and considered judgments. I wonder what the Young Rite practitioners found to be so confining in the Old Rite. But once you get involved in esoteric Christianity, it seems, there are no limits to creativity. As you noted, no scripture readings occur in the Young Rite, apparently no liturgical year either, which I guess follows if you are more attached to the mystical disembodied aspects of the Aeon and less concerned with time and the body, including the Incarnation and events of Our Lord's life. The "Church of St. Mary and St. John" is even more esoteric, with the Epistle coming from sources like St. Peter's letters to St. Mary Magdalene. The consecration of one of the bishops for this group is displayed on YouTube, to the musical accompaniment of an endless repetition of the first two verses of Pange Lingua. Peter Hanson would have a field day were he around today to update his Bishops at Large volume.
If it is not too far from the topic, did Steiner's Christian Community have a fixed liturgy?

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

It was a joke. Obviously struck a nerve though.
Yes, you could say it struck a nerve in the sense that being the on-going target of stupidly misleading allegations does get old after a while. (I'm not CofE but the TEC gets the same shite.)

The above comment is on the content of the post, not on the poster as a person.

[ 03. September 2013, 22:06: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

Whoops, caught myself: Peter Anson, that is.
Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

Whoops, caught myself: Peter Anson, that is.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Patrick - There are references to liturgical festivals in the Young Rite Advent, Christmas, Baptism, Transfiguration, Easter which seem to be commemorated at every eucharist.

The Anthroposophists (ie the Steinerites, to call them what they call themselves) certainly kept the four principal festivals of the Christian year. I was rather surprised what they were: the Summer and Winter solstices (St John and Christmas) and the Autumn and Spring equinoxes (St Michael and Easter).

To give them their credit their celebration of Advent was rather moving. Needless to say they had real candles on the Christmas tree and wouldn't dream of putting it up before the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Good for them.

[ 04. September 2013, 10:04: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
If it is not too far from the topic, did Steiner's Christian Community have a fixed liturgy?

Difficult to say. The church branch of Anthroposophy is the Christian Community and they would have some sort of liturgy.

http://www.thechristiancommunity.co.uk/

But the community I stayed in only had a visit from a priest once, when a young Down's Syndrome girl died. I think he vested in some sort of Lutheran style garments. (They were very Germanic.)

Otherwise they had a chapel and regular Sunday services for the senior children but would have been led by lay people. It was probably a very tasteful hymn sandwich (lots of Bach preludes played on the lyre).

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016