homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What makes this rage and spite? (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What makes this rage and spite?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Maybe I'm just hopelessly anti-Semitic, but I still don't see how there not being separate crowds is a slur on all Jews.

And can someone quote the unambiguously anti-Semitic lines in the hymn?

'Sometimes'....'Then' - suggests that the Jewish people were/are fickle and disloyal, which feeds into the blood libel where, in Matthew, they say 'His blood be upon us and our children' - quoted by several of the early father to justify pogroms, ghettos, expulsion etc.

e.g. Origen: “Their rejection of Jesus has resulted in their present calamity and exile. We say with confidence that they will never be restored to their former condition. For they have committed

1205: Pope Innocent III wrote to the archbishops of Sens and Paris that "the Jews, by their own guilt, are consigned to perpetual servitude because they crucified the Lord...As slaves rejected by God, in whose death they wickedly conspire, they shall by the effect of this very action, recognize themselves as the slaves of those whom Christ's death set free..."

In Claude Lanzmann’s harrowing Holocaust documentary Shoah, a Polish farm labourer is interviewed standing on the steps of her church after Sunday Mass. During the war the church had been used as a holding pen for Jews destined for the nearby death camp. Lanzmann presses her for an explanation. She answers with the story of Jesus’s trial in Matthew 27. Having offered the mob a choice between Jesus and the criminal Barabbas, and the crowd having chosen Barabbas for release and Jesus for crucifixion, Pontius Pilate washes his hands of the decision. Then ‘with one voice the people cried “His blood be on us and on our children”.

RC guidance: Jews should not be portrayed as avaricious (e.g., in Temple money-changer scenes); blood thirsty (e.g., in certain depiction's of Jesus'
appearances before the Temple priesthood or before Pilate); or implacable enemies of Christ (e.g., by changing the small "crowd" at the governor's palace into a teeming mob). Such depictions, with their obvious "collective guilt" implications, eliminate those parts of the gospels that show that the secrecy surrounding Jesus' "trial" was motivated by the large following he had in Jerusalem and that the Jewish populace, far from wishing his death, would have opposed it had they known and, in fact, mourned his death by Roman execution (cf. Lk 23:27).

Jews should not be portrayed as avaricious (e.g., in Temple money-changer scenes); blood thirsty (e.g., in certain depiction's of Jesus' appearances before the Temple priesthood or before Pilate); or implacable enemies of Christ (e.g., by changing the small "crowd" at the governor's palace into a teeming mob). Such depictions, with their obvious "collective guilt" implications, eliminate those parts of the gospels that show that the secrecy surrounding Jesus' "trial" was motivated by the large following he had in Jerusalem and that the Jewish populace, far from wishing his death, would have opposed it had they known and, in fact, mourned his death by Roman execution (cf. Lk 23:27).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
Which text? The biblical text or Crossan/Borg's?

BTW neither Crossan or Borg are mentioned in the article I quoted

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Well it's based on a lie isn't it?

It says that the crowd sometimes greeted him with palms and hosannas and later shouted for him to be crucified.

This isn't what happened.

Different crowds.

Or so we're told by Crossan and Borg, right?
Jeremias writes that "the influx of pilgrims at Passover time from all over the world was immense, and amounted to several times the population of Jerusalem" (Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus, 84). He estimates that during a Passover
in Jesus' day, there might be as many as 150,000 persons in Jerusalem, 25-30,000 of these
being inhabitants of the city. Josephus speaks of a crowd numbering 2,700,000.
more detail here

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see the dangers of this hymn being wrongly used or wrongly interpreted, but it is not inherently anti-semitic. It makes no point at all about the background or ethnicity of those who "made strange" and would not know the "longed- for Christ".

Specifically "sometimes" is used in the now obsolete sense of "sometime" i.e "at one time", and the progression is from at one time "men" (and not specifically "Jews") strewed his way and sang his praise, then "men" call for him to be crucified. There is no necessary implication of changeableness, or that it was exactly the same group of people (any more than we can be entirely clear that there was no significant overlap between the crowds on Palm Sunday and on Good Friday).

I can see that there can be a problem that "I" sing the "sweet praise" of "my friend", while "they" do all the bad things. But there is also a problem of using the first person plural throughout which detracts from the specificity of focus on the events of the first Holy Week and Good Friday.

I can't be completely confident about this, but I suspect that more modern readers tend to a more individualist reading and are less attuned than Crossman's contemporaries to the sense he would have had of being a participant in what "men" did/had done.

In its writing the hymn is no more anti-semitic than it is sexist (where are the women), and to read it as either is to read it through the tinted spectacles of our own preconceptions

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Do you sing 'Lo, he comes with clouds descending,' in your shack?

Not if I can help it.

I short list hymns for the worship committee and don't include that one.

BUT The Advent Carol Service is pout together by the musicians and it usually makes an appearance there. (And the battle with that event is to keep away from Christmas carols.)

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember years ago reading a book by James B Nelson on Christianity and sex in which he suggested that "Lo he comes with clouds" descending was an example of S'n'M sexuality acceptable in a Christian context. (With what rapture gaze we on those glorious scars.)

But I may have got that wrong.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NatDogg:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
...for which read, I fear, 'I still can't get anybody else to share my ability to detect anti-Semitism absolutely everywhere'

Exactly.
Doesn't mean I am wrong
No. But so far nothing you've contributed conclusively states you're right about your opinions either. Only that you believe strongly in the assertions and opinions of certain other individuals, with whom you happen to agree.

The exegesis of scripture arguing that the 'crowd' was in fact two discrete groups of people is, of course, always possibly true. It would be an interesting exercise to have polled the crowd who saw Jesus entering Jerusalem and the crowd who witnessed his sentencing by Pilate to find out what percentage of overlap there was, or none; and who proportionately said what, and on which occasion. But again, nothing Biblically says any such thing. It's all angels on pinhead stuff. Thank goodness! What fun would Biblical interpretation be if everything was clearly settled in black and white - none at all.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo, it is very telling that when asked for the unambiguously anti- Semitic lines, you quote just a couple of words and tell us what they 'suggest'. Because the truth is the lines make no mention of Jews.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Leo, it is very telling that when asked for the unambiguously anti- Semitic lines, you quote just a couple of words and tell us what they 'suggest'. Because the truth is the lines make no mention of Jews.

That's right. Some clear answer please Leo.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes'....'Then' - suggests that the Jewish people were/are fickle and disloyal, which feeds into the blood libel where,

So My song is love unknown is anti-semitic in the same way Pride and Prejudice is homophobic in that it suggests and feeds into the idea that social and personal fulfillment are only possible in heterosexual marriage.

leo - you are one of the few persons here who share many of my own approaches to religion - catholic and radical. You are one of the main reasons I started reading this board.

It is rather sad to see you digging yourself into a pit over this. If you'd just said "My song is love unknown has an attitude that in many other circumstances has lead to anti-semitism" then we'd have been alerted to an important point.

As it is, we are all reacting to you by defending it. Even I can see there is more to it that the masochistic sentimentality that I have suspected in the past.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

But it is obviously a reference to Jews. Who else could it possibly be, apart from the occupying Romans.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the lines don't focus on the fact that those people were Jews; it is talking about the people who were around in Jesus' day (who were indeed Jewish). Without a focus on their race/religion I also find it hard to see this hymn as de facto anti-Semitic.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or to put it another way, it does not say what the crowd/s did was due to inherent corruption brought about by their Jewishness. And whether it was one or two crowds essentially doesn't matter - part of humanity's response to Christ and the gospel, was to murder the living God. Whether some of the crowd were previously welcoming for a brief period is largely irrelevant.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I have one final thing to say about this, otherwise it will continue to go round and round in circles.

That is to ask how many on this thread have ever quoted this hymn to nay Jewish people.

I did, at a meeting of CCJ, and the uniform response was one of horror: 'It's as if you Christians have learned nothing from the Shoah.'

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is one Jewish person to my knowledge posting on this thread who doesn't seem to find it offensive.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So some Jews misunderstand it too. Big flick.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have one final thing to say about this, otherwise it will continue to go round and round in circles.

That is to ask how many on this thread have ever quoted this hymn to nay Jewish people.

I did, at a meeting of CCJ, and the uniform response was one of horror: 'It's as if you Christians have learned nothing from the Shoah.'

Did you do this with or without glossing it as anti-semitic ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
There is one Jewish person to my knowledge posting on this thread who doesn't seem to find it offensive.

Would that be a religious Jew or one who has converted to Christianity/messianic Jew/Jew for Jesus?

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Would that be a religious Jew or one who has converted to Christianity/messianic Jew/Jew for Jesus?
And what difference does that make exactly?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leo, how can you support the traditional teachings of the Church on women down in Dead Horses, and then fulminate up here against what is, for the Church, a very mild allusion to the Church's traditional teachings about the Jews in Samuel Crossman's lyric? Your inconsistency is mind-boggling.

It's a marvellous hymn. I love to sing it. I've posted my views about the 'they' and 'we' element near the top of this thread, so no need to repeat them.

[ 14. September 2013, 17:26: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Okay, so if your criteria is the reaction of Jews today, then what do we do with the New Testament on the whole? Because I don't at all doubt that I could find modern religious Jews who sincerely believe that in light of the Holocaust certain parts of the New Testament are best excised.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The CCJ (and why it resists becoming the CCJ&M) really deserves a thread of its own in Purgatory. I certainly wouldn't give that Society the last word on anything.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
quote:

And what difference does that make exactly?

Tubbs

Jewish converts might be anti-Jewish in a way. Their views are not those of authentic Judaism because they will be seen as traitors.

So what is the answer to my question>

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Okay, so if your criteria is the reaction of Jews today, then what do we do with the New Testament on the whole? Because I don't at all doubt that I could find modern religious Jews who sincerely believe that in light of the Holocaust certain parts of the New Testament are best excised.
Many, indeed, to - but the RCC guidance insists that we preach on the texts of scripture by balancing the positive pro-Jewish stuff alongside the anti stuff.

But when it comes to hymnody, passion plays and catechesis, there are strong guidelines to prohibit the perpetuation of anti-semitism - see Nostra Aetate and its guidelines, especially from the US bishops.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
The CCJ (and why it resists becoming the CCJ&M) really deserves a thread of its own in Purgatory. I certainly wouldn't give that Society the last word on anything.

Resists? Not so - it supports the Woolf Institute in Cambridge that deals with the three faiths in dialogue and also Scriptural Reasoning with Israelis and Palestinians.

But Jewish/Christian dialogue deals with shared scriptures and need a unique place because if Christians and Jews are brothers/sisters, muslims are cousins.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
leo, how can you support the traditional teachings of the Church on women down in Dead Horses, and then fulminate up here against what is, for the Church, a very mild allusion to the Church's traditional teachings about the Jews in Samuel Crossman's lyric? Your inconsistency is mind-boggling.

I do NOT support the trad. teaching about women - if you read my posts more thoroughly, you'd see that i have opposed the teaching on women, and on gays as it happens.

But i have lived in a FiF parish and seek to explain their views when they are slagged off. To explain isn't to support.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I was confused by Amos' comment, as the only post by leo I'd read on Dead Horses was to say he'd been to confession to women priests over the past 20 years.

On the other hand, his (apparently wholesale)dismissal of "traditional" Christian whatever was a bit odd, since liturgically I'd always got the impression he appealed frequently to "tradition". (As would I.)

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jewish converts might be anti-Jewish in a way. Their views are not those of authentic Judaism because they will be seen as traitors.

Seriously? You're trying the "self-hating Jew" line?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

'Seen as traitors' by whom, leo?
The CCJ?
The term is meshummad, which means apostate.
I assume you're referring to people like the late apostate Hugh Montefiore, and the apostate Peter Selby within the Church of England and the late apostate Jean-Marie Aaron Lustiger within the Church of Rome. Their opinions would be worth nothing to you, I presume.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doesn't mean I am wrong

leo, would you agree that nowadays 95%+ of churchgoers singing "My song is love unknown" neither notice nor intend any anti-Semitic meaning in the words they are using?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:

In fact, the very method of presenting it in this way was a clear signal to the audience as to what to think of the hymn. A hymn which, I don't know how many times it has to be pointed out, doesn't actually mention Jews.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Seriously? You're trying the "self-hating Jew" line?
And is using that line to decide who and what is "authentic Jewish" and dismiss those who don't agree with his POV after lecturing everyone else about how much they've got to learn about prejudices. There are words for that. Most of them are rude!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
The CCJ?.

by Orthodox Jews - Jews who have become Christians are likely to agree with the portrayal of Jews in the gospels because they are no longer orthodox Jews.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Leading questions don't start a good discussion.

The session was about 4 years ago and as far as i can remember, I presented them with double-sided A4 with various texts and asked the to comment in small groups followed by a plenary.

Quite a few Jews here will have encountered Christian texts before because there are a large number of public schools in this city and they don't want their kids to miss our assemblies and RE but want them to understand Britain's supposedly Christian culture.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
quote:
The CCJ?.

by Orthodox Jews - Jews who have become Christians are likely to agree with the portrayal of Jews in the gospels because they are no longer orthodox Jews.
Orthodox Jews don't get to set the rules, leo. They're not somehow the gold standard for Judaism, even for Rabbinic Judaism. As that very fine sociologist of religion, Adam Seligman, once remarked, Orthodox Judaism was invented on a Tuesday, the Tuesday after the first Monday meeting of the Berlin Haskalah, the Jewish Enlightenment Movement. Orthodox Judaism isn't the default setting of Judaism: it is a specific movement formed in reaction to the Enlightenment.

The CCJ has a noble history (dating from 1942) resisting antisemitism in the UK during WWII, and afterwards, but its Jewish leadership unreflectively supports the government of Israel in any and all adventures, and its Christian leadership follows suit, and is reminded of the Shoah when it doesn't. This, and not any nonsense about 'cousins' and 'siblings' is why Muslims have never been invited to join.

[ 15. September 2013, 14:34: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:
quote:

Leading questions <snip>
Technical point I know, but that was not a leading question. "Do you think glossing it as anti-semitic affected their response ?" Would have been a leading question.

Allow me to rephrase - why were you presenting bits of hymn texts in a seminar / plenary ? What was it about ?

I assume it was not because you were giving a presentation on poetic composition and had no other examples to hand.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
but its Jewish leadership unreflectively supports the government of Israel in any and all adventures, and its Christian leadership follows suit, and is reminded of the Shoah when it doesn't. This, and not any nonsense about 'cousins' and 'siblings' is why Muslims have never been invited to join.

You are simply wrong about CCJ and Islam - many local groups do 3-way dialogue and this is encouraged by CCJ.

As for Jewish support for the State of Israel and CCJ's stance, I have severe problems with that. However, the leadership does not approve of all the gov'ts stances and actions - Rabbi Jonathan Gorsky (on the exec. of CCJ until his academic work took him away) has written for CCJ about Israel and is critical.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Leading questions <snip>
Technical point I know, but that was not a leading question. "Do you think glossing it as anti-semitic affected their response ?" Would have been a leading question.

Allow me to rephrase - why were you presenting bits of hymn texts in a seminar / plenary ? What was it about ?

I assume it was not because you were giving a presentation on poetic composition and had no other examples to hand.

It was at one of our monthly meetings - our Jewish membership wanted to know about Christian worship - some are surprised that we use the Hebrew scriptures and the psalms.

This was a look at Holy Week - it was at the time of the controversy of the Passion of the Christ - Mel Gibson et al.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
some are surprised that we use the Hebrew scriptures and the psalms.

Many Christians - Anglicans - would be surprised to encounter them at the parish eucharist. There seems to be a closet Marcionite tendency restricting the readings to NT + gospel and replacing the psalm with a hymn. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo

I suppose you think that the whore in Revelation is Babylon?

If not, there is a far more obvious candidate for these lines to be aimed at.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
some are surprised that we use the Hebrew scriptures and the psalms.

Many Christians - Anglicans - would be surprised to encounter them at the parish eucharist. There seems to be a closet Marcionite tendency restricting the readings to NT + gospel and replacing the psalm with a hymn. [Disappointed]
Creeping Marcionism. It is distressingly prevalent. Like chestnut blight and ash wilt and sudden oak death.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Leo

Jengie

Don't understand the relevance - or is it a joke?

It's Rome - the empire, not the church.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before this thread dies from lack of interest or gets shunted to Dead Horses as an intractable argument about anti-semitism, I'd like to explain further why I started it, and try to address some of the issues that have been raised.

For reasons beyond my control, I have ben away a lot, so I have a great deal of catching up to do.
I'm printing off ten pages at a time - please forgive me if I appear not to have read ahead enough.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't mean to hit the send button there. Very early on in the thread Leo suggested the hymn should not be sung at all on account of its anti-semitism. This astonished me, since the hymn is based on a "mystical" poem - commentators have likened it to those by George Herbert - in the form of a song of praise from the (imagined) point of view of Joseph of Arimathea, Jesus' secret follower, without whose intervention after the crucifixion, there might be no Christian religion as we know it today. Since Joseph was one of the Jewish establishment, it is hard to figure out how the oiece could be seen as anti-semitic.

I think there might be two reasons why, in some quarters, it is. The main one is that there is another verse missing in many hymn books (thanks to the shippie who pointed this out) and it's the one that actually identifies the putautive 'I' of the poem. It makes sense to leave it out in the context of a church service,
but herein lies the trouble. It was never meant to be part of any ritual. Not all hymns are meant to be sung in church. But Ireland's tune is so compelling, how could we not? The question of the morality of using unauthorised versions of an artist's work in this way need to be addressed, especially when they obscure the artist's original intention.

Also in the first ten pages was a suggestion by one shippie that the hymn is no more anti-semitic than the gospels. It's a good point. I think that the biblical allusions nearest to the hymn's lyrics are to be found in John's gospel - which many Jewsa find utterly anti-semitic. Arguing that point would make a good thread on its own, but I haven't the time here.

The point of the hymn originally being a poem was taken up at length by several shippies, and a somewhat esoteric discussion on how a poem works ensued, with the finer semantic points hammered out, I hope, to the protagonists' satisfaction.

That's all I can remember for now. Next ten pages heading for the library's overworked printer. Watch this space....

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Oh, dear. I'm up to page 33 of the printer-friendly version and nothing new seems to have been said. I sometimes want tosay to both Leo and his antagonists, "Yes. Christianity is, and always has been, intrinsically anti-semitic. Get over it."

I don't suppose that would be seen as very helpful. Whatever the historical faults of mainstream Christianity, though, I think we have moved on from the early stance of "Yes, of course we must love the Jews. But only if they accept our beliefs about Jesus. Otherwise they are blind, self-afflicted devils' spawn and don't deserve to be regarded as huiman beings."

I would really like some input from a liberal Jew or two in this discussion. I'd like to persuade them that Crossman had no anti-semitism in his heart when he wrote that poem. That Christians have misused it. That "What makes this rage and spite?" not only refers to the anger of traditional Jewish contempories but is also a pretty obvious sideways glance at the more vicious members of his owb community.

Not all Puritans were iconoclasts and regicides. Andrew Marvell - he of the coy mistress - was against taking arms in the struggle against the cavaliers. He believed in "a proper degree of seriousness for every subject" and civil war was definitely over the top. Milton wrote pretty pastoral pieces before he got all worked up about paradise.

Crossman was a wise enough man to know that it's not a sin to change your mind, given reason enough. And he would have seen a kindred spirit in Joseph of Arimathea, the secret follower of Jesus who was also IIRC, a member of the Sanhedrin. There are, in "Love Unknown" many parallels between the internecine strife of first-century Palestine and the pernicious feuds which led to civil war in 17th-century England.

There's one helluva lot more to occupy the mind of a charitable Englishman (or Welshwoman!) than
the ugly head of anti-semitism.

Ah, well, another twenty pages to go to the end of chapter one, I think. Anyone else want to join in? I won't be allowed to talk to myself here for much longer...

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The is a related thread about Christian antisemitism here.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Leo

Jengie

Nope.

First of all I have to blow the cover of another hymn. You know the hymn "O God, our help in Ages Past" a paraphrase, well it is not coincidental that it in Year 1714. What you do not know is Queen Anne was going to sign legislation that would make life difficult for Dissenters. This is Watts response to her death which means that legislation did not make the statue books. So a paraphrase of Psalm 90 is actually a comment of political events at the time.

Now go back to the notes on this hymn and you will see that in 1663, the author was in poverty having been forced out of his living by the clemency of the Anglican supporters of King Charles II. So political comment on the time by someone under persecution. The memory of the vindictiveness of the Anglican party in 1662 remains a folk memory in Dissent. Of course a Dissenter could not say that openly just as Isaac Watts did not dare give his message openly, so they used the same technique as the writer of Revelation. The rage and spite is therefore that of authorities that use it against Christ's body in the current day (or authors days).

Basically,it is your party in the CofE and not the Jews it is aimed at.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

So not a hymn? And where does Joseph of Arimathea fit into this political point? And did you mean to say "clemency"?

[ 07. October 2013, 14:24: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:
Leo

Jengie

Nope.

First of all I have to blow the cover of another hymn. You know the hymn "O God, our help in Ages Past" a paraphrase, well it is not coincidental that it in Year 1714. What you do not know is Queen Anne was going to sign legislation that would make life difficult for Dissenters. This is Watts response to her death which means that legislation did not make the statue books. So a paraphrase of Psalm 90 is actually a comment of political events at the time.

Jengie

Very interesting - one learns something every day.

We sang that hymn at the Eucharist at the start of the new university year, yesterday.

Since it is based on scripture, though, i won't be as censorious as I am on certain other hymns.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Now go back to the notes on this hymn and you will see that in 1663, the author was in poverty having been forced out of his living by the clemency of the Anglican supporters of King Charles II. So political comment on the time by someone under persecution. The memory of the vindictiveness of the Anglican party in 1662 remains a folk memory in Dissent. Of course a Dissenter could not say that openly just as Isaac Watts did not dare give his message openly, so they used the same technique as the writer of Revelation. The rage and spite is therefore that of authorities that use it against Christ's body in the current day (or authors days).

Basically,it is your party in the CofE and not the Jews it is aimed at.

Jengie

Extremely interesting - makes me almost want to rehabilitate this hymn, with proper explanation to those who sing it.

After all, we all enjoy the tune and Palm Sunday seems lacking without it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016