homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Two questions on communion (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Two questions on communion
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomM:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I don't know what current practice is at Southwark Cathedral, but some years ago at big diocesan eucharists, assistant priests would stand in front of the altar each holding a chalice or ciborium to be consecrated along with those on the altar itself. The 'blast zone' was obviously understood to include everything in the bishop's line of sight.

Likewise, I don't know the current practice, but I think the justification there is those assisting priests are concelebrants, each with their own small blast zone. Whether the bishop's range was that broad was never clarified in my hearing...
I'm pretty certain they're not concelebrating as I've seen this done at large diocesan events with lay people holding the chalices as well

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Are we gonna play the Mithras or the Osiris connection?

I don't think we need play either. As my previous jokey post indicated, it's not hard for magical thinking to creep into the theory and practice of the Eucharist.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, yeah - bread becomes actual flesh but doesn't change in appearance, taste or any other physical way. Likewise, wine becomes blood. I can understand why people unfamiliar with the theology would think that rather weird...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, and you can say the same thing about Jesus being fully God and fully human.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by TomM:
quote:
I don't know what current practice is at Southwark Cathedral, but some years ago at big diocesan eucharists, assistant priests would stand in front of the altar each holding a chalice or ciborium to be consecrated along with those on the altar itself. The 'blast zone' was obviously understood to include everything in the bishop's line of sight.

Likewise, I don't know the current practice, but I think the justification there is those assisting priests are concelebrants, each with their own small blast zone. Whether the bishop's range was that broad was never clarified in my hearing...
I'm pretty certain they're not concelebrating as I've seen this done at large diocesan events with lay people holding the chalices as well
Our cathedral has a blast zone of at least 10x10 - lay or ordained.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Questions of slobber aside, what would be wrong with mingling consecrated and unconsecrated wine in the bottle if- big if- the wine in the bottle were only ever used for sacramental purposes (that is, would be consecrated at some point)? After all, if the consecrated wine is unalterably the Blood of Christ, it's not going to be harmed by having the Prayer of Consecration said over it again, is it?

Not 'harmed' - but the eucharist would be invalid because there has to be consecration of BOTH elements at every eucharist.

So if wine is not consecrated, because of its already being consecrated, that the eucharist is null and void.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Piscinas were in medieval churches for holy water. NOT for consecrated wine. That is an American practice and horrifies me.

I think you're confusing piscinas with stoups. And what's the swipe at our Americans cousins for?
Neither confusing or sniping. Simple stating what happens, according to an Anglican priest from England who did a two year stint in TEC and explained that it was common practice NOT to do the ablutions but simply to pour the remnants of consecrated wine from the chalice down the piscina (it being in the sanctuary; the stoup being at the entrance.)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Questions of slobber aside, what would be wrong with mingling consecrated and unconsecrated wine in the bottle if- big if- the wine in the bottle were only ever used for sacramental purposes (that is, would be consecrated at some point)? After all, if the consecrated wine is unalterably the Blood of Christ, it's not going to be harmed by having the Prayer of Consecration said over it again, is it?

Not 'harmed' - but the eucharist would be invalid because there has to be consecration of BOTH elements at every eucharist.

So if wine is not consecrated, because of its already being consecrated, that the eucharist is null and void.

Ok, I see that. In this case there would be some wine that was newly consecrated and other wine that had been previously consecrated but it would not be possible to distinguish the two because they would have mingled in the bottle.
And the mingled consecrated and unconsecrated wine could not be reserved for e.g. sick communion for the same reason- the mingling. Correct?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought that all properly brought up priests formed a permanent intention to consecrate everything on the altar and nothing not on the altar.

I seem to recollect that a certain Scottish bishop consecrated an enormous flagon of wine left on the corner of the altar by a careless server; the ablutions took weeks.

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Piscinas were in medieval churches for holy water. NOT for consecrated wine. That is an American practice and horrifies me.

I think you're confusing piscinas with stoups. And what's the swipe at our Americans cousins for?
Neither confusing or sniping. Simple stating what happens, according to an Anglican priest from England who did a two year stint in TEC and explained that it was common practice NOT to do the ablutions but simply to pour the remnants of consecrated wine from the chalice down the piscina (it being in the sanctuary; the stoup being at the entrance.)
You stated above that piscinas were for holy water and not for the Precious Blood. What do you mean they are "for holy water"? What holy water? It's this statement that made me think you were confusing stoups with piscinas.

We agree that the pouring of the PB undiluted down the piscina is sub-optimal - I'd add that it should never be necessary. But the whole point of the piscina up by the altar - with a drain straight down to the consecrated ground of the church - is to dispose reverently of abluted matter which may contain particles of the Sacrament or sacred substances (chrism, etc.).

[And I still think you're being unduly sniffy to the Yanks, as if they were the originators and/or principal malefactors in this field - without anything other than anecdote to back this up. I believe there are occasional US readers on this site...]

[ 08. October 2013, 18:15: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You stated above that piscinas were for holy water and not for the Precious Blood. What do you mean they are "for holy water"? What holy water? It's this statement that made me think you were confusing stoups with piscinas.

We use our piscina, which is built into the credence table near the high altar, to pour the water from the lavabo bowl just after the celebrant's fingers are cleansed.

One side of the double sink in the sacristy is also a piscina, with a lockable cover on it, and I think that's where excess Precious Blood would be poured if it had to be. But we normally opt to consume it rather than pour it. I think both the credence-table piscina and the lockable sink have pipes that go to the same place, but I could be wrong.

christianbuddhist
Apprentice
# 17579

- Posted      Profile for christianbuddhist   Email christianbuddhist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the question about wine, is it really reasonable to expect the vicar of a multi parish benefice to consume the remaining wine in six different churches before attempting to drive home? Theological purity needs to be tempered with discretion. It's hard to imagine Jesus having been overly concerned with whether all the wine was consumed at the Last Supper, after all.
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally dislike Communion being all about the minister and the communicant. Looking the person in the eye, saying their name, squeezing their hand and you saying "the body/blood of Christ" and they say "thank you" to me shows neither one understands what is going on, or to be fair, their understanding is quite different from mine.

Some people try to catch my eye. I usually cross the Body over the paten before giving it into their hand or mouth, which I where I look rather than their eyes. I feel is should be as inconspicuous as possible, as unobtrusive as a telegram delivery boy. It's not about the communicant and me, I am not deigning to give them anything. They are communing with the risen Christ and all his glory, and all his body throughout time and space and beyond.

The whole point of liturgy is to find yourself in Christ Jesus by losing yourself in him. That's why the sacred ministers don't wear their own clothes, what makes the Mass a cosmic event as well as oh-so-local.

If there happens to be too much remaining of the MPB, goodness, call up some communicants to help you finish the chalice. I've never heard of it being poured down a piscine. I suppose if for some weird one in a million chance no one can finish the chalice at that moment, one can put It into the tabernacle and call somebody to come and finish It. Once, when there was too much left over after a serious miscalculation, the next day the priest did a mass of the pre-sanctified and gave everybody there three or four hosts and reminded them all to take a big swig from the chalice. Problem solved.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by christianbuddhist:
Regarding the question about wine, is it really reasonable to expect the vicar of a multi parish benefice to consume the remaining wine in six different churches before attempting to drive home? Theological purity needs to be tempered with discretion. It's hard to imagine Jesus having been overly concerned with whether all the wine was consumed at the Last Supper, after all.

It happens all the time. Intelligent clergy learn how much wine to consecrate so that there is not too much left to be consumed at the ablutions. Actually, what's tougher is doing a big choral mass in a collegiate chapel and discovering that only a few of the musicians come up to receive.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by christianbuddhist:

Who says anything about the 'vicar' consuming it all? Any of the communicants present could help to finish off the contents of the chalice. Though unless the six hypothetical churches all had wildly fluctuating numbers of communicants, any priest with any nous would be able to estimate the quantity of wine needed and never normally over-consecrate.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who from time to time prepares the chalices, it's not always that easy Amos. Some weeks, everyone will take the cup; on others, quite a few will intinct. All non-predictably. Then there are the older children, some of whom will not take the cup, but others who will. It's a bit hard to remember just who's who. The best a poor server can do is aim over a bit, and then help with any leftover which is not being reserved.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Mama Thomas said.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, some of us have the automatic "thank you" beat into us so thoroughly in childhood that we say it any time someone hands us something, even if it's a dirty diaper or a parking ticket. It's a reflex, not personal. ( yes, i've said this at the communion rail) [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very similar to the reflex which makes us apologise to the person who barges into us in the checkout queue [Confused]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
[You stated above that piscinas were for holy water and not for the Precious Blood. What do you mean they are "for holy water"? What holy water? It's this statement that made me think you were confusing stoups with piscinas.

Now I understand - just looked back to a previous post of mine.

I meant that piscinas can be used for water that has been used in the ablutions. Certainly not for consecrated wine.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

And the mingled consecrated and unconsecrated wine could not be reserved for e.g. sick communion for the same reason- the mingling. Correct?

I would not want to expose the sick and housebound to wine that was previously in a chalice which people had dribbled into.

We reserve wine in small screw-top containers that are place on the corporal at the offertory and are then put straight into the tabernacle.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
quote:
[You stated above that piscinas were for holy water and not for the Precious Blood. What do you mean they are "for holy water"? What holy water? It's this statement that made me think you were confusing stoups with piscinas.

Now I understand - just looked back to a previous post of mine.

I meant that piscinas can be used for water that has been used in the ablutions. Certainly not for consecrated wine.

Great. Thanks for the clarification, leo.

And to be clear myself, in the RCC throwing away the Sacred Species is a very serious delict, and just pouring It down the plughole - even onto consecrated ground - would normally be seen as just that. Gives me the collywobbles just thinking about it.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
quote:

I would not want to expose the sick and housebound to wine that was previously in a chalice which people had dribbled into.

We reserve wine in small screw-top containers that are place on the corporal at the offertory and are then put straight into the tabernacle.

Yes yes, but slobbering and dribbling aside, woulkd the mingling of the consecrated and unconsecrated elements make it improper to use it?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI there wouldn't be any unconsecrated elements. The wine in the cruets would be consecrated along with the chalice, and then reserved. (Though I have never reserved both kinds separately like this: either - at one incumbent's insistence - the hosts were pre-intincted; or, more usually, we reserved in one kind only. I wonder what the general practice is, in the C of E and elsewhere? I know the RC custom is to reserve in one kind only.)

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our local hospital the recommended practice is to pre-intinct the wafers, and then consecrate them. The reason AIUI is infection control. Apart from those administered in the chapel, assistants then take consecrated wafers to those on the wards who have requested. There is never much difficulty about numbers with that service, i.e. we always know fairly accurately how many people will be there.

The chalice is filled with only a small quantity of wine, for the president to consume, and a priest's host to be broken, (ditto). Everyone received an intincted wafer.

There is also the reserved sacrament, although I have never had occasion to use it.

[ 09. October 2013, 12:24: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
AIUI there wouldn't be any unconsecrated elements. The wine in the cruets would be consecrated along with the chalice, and then reserved. (Though I have never reserved both kinds separately like this: either - at one incumbent's insistence - the hosts were pre-intincted; or, more usually, we reserved in one kind only. I wonder what the general practice is, in the C of E and elsewhere? I know the RC custom is to reserve in one kind only.)

No, I was thinking of the eventuality that i supposed above: that is, consecrated wine pured into the bottle which already contains some unconsecrated wine, so that the consecrated and the unconsecrated mingle.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
In our local hospital the recommended practice is to pre-intinct the wafers, and then consecrate them.

Recommended by whom? No-one with any knowledge of liturgy I hope. Surely both kinds must be consecrated separately. By 'pre-intincted' I mean the practice of dobbing a tiny drop of consecrated wine on each consecrated host and letting them dry.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
In our local hospital the recommended practice is to pre-intinct the wafers, and then consecrate them.

Recommended by whom? No-one with any knowledge of liturgy I hope. Surely both kinds must be consecrated separately. By 'pre-intincted' I mean the practice of dobbing a tiny drop of consecrated wine on each consecrated host and letting them dry.
... Which is what we do at the hospital where I work, following discussion with our infection control nurse. The elements are consecrated while still physically separate; those intended for reservation are intincted and set aside; then members of the congreation each intinct their own host in the small amount of the Precious Blood in the chalice (so small that it avoids what often happens with a fuller chalice, with people dipping their fingers as well as the host). On rare occasions, a small amount of wine is consecrated and reserved, for instance if we anticipate being asked to give communion to a patient who can't swallow solids, in which case they're given the Blood.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:

Recommended by the hospital chaplaincy team, and you're right about pre-intincted.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Oops! Read in haste, and then too late to edit. Unconsecrated wine is place on unconsecrated wafer, before the service.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oops! Read in haste, and then too late to edit. Unconsecrated wine is place on unconsecrated wafer, before the service.

To be clear, this liturgical abhorrence was, in fact, on the table during our discussion with the infection control nurse. We'd have done it if we'd been made to do it, though I made it clear we didn't want to do it. My sense of liturgical propriety is slightly outweighed by my desire not to be remembered as the chaplain who killed a patient.

In the event, the infection control nurse was slightly bemused that we were asking her advice at all. The assessment of any risk has to involve asking the question "How often has this happened before?" If the answer is "never" then you should be open to the possibility you're making a fuss over next to nothing.

(Rather like the advice a hospital chaplain was given when their fire officer was getting worried about having candles in chapel - "Ask your fire officer how many burning churches he drives past on his way to work every Monday morning.")

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

(Rather like the advice a hospital chaplain was given when their fire officer was getting worried about having candles in chapel - "Ask your fire officer how many burning churches he drives past on his way to work every Monday morning.")

Tangent, but a certain retreat house well-known to me has a draconian policy re (not) lighting candles. So much so that the altar 'candles' are in fact battery operated substitutes.

Last time I was there I lit a big paschal candle as a devotional focus and nothing happened (I mean no alarms went off; I trust some spiritual growth occurred).

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Yes. I'm pondering why it was done that way. I can see obvious risks with a common cup and a quantity of people immunologically vulnerable. Ideally, then one would go for consecration of separate elements and intinction by the president. That would be OK in the chapel, except for the fairly high proportion who wish/expect to receive in the hand.

It wouldn't work for the elements taken round the wards. Where, even if it was reasonable for the president to intinct them, there wouldn't be time for them to dry, so they'd get irretrievably stuck together. I guess somebody thought that receiving in both kinds trumped separate consecration.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Tangent, but a certain retreat house well-known to me has a draconian policy re (not) lighting candles. So much so that the altar 'candles' are in fact battery operated substitutes.

Last time I was there I lit a big paschal candle as a devotional focus and nothing happened (I mean no alarms went off; I trust some spiritual growth occurred).

Ah, but remember the Lisbon earthquake: hit on All Saints Day 1755 when all the churches had all their candles lit, and the city went up in flames. You wouldn't want that to happen again, would you?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes yes, but slobbering and dribbling aside, woulkd the mingling of the consecrated and unconsecrated elements make it improper to use it?
Not just improper, invalid, since there would be no consecration of wine at the next euchasrist, it already have been consecrated.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

I read somewhere that official C of E rules (do't know where they come from) demand reservation in both kinds. I wish they didn't as I find it inconvenient.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
And to be clear myself, in the RCC throwing away the Sacred Species is a very serious delict, and just pouring It down the plughole - even onto consecrated ground - would normally be seen as just that. Gives me the collywobbles just thinking about it.

Me too - it happens mainly in evangelical churches - but it certainly didn't back in the days when the Prayer Book was followed - there having been rubric after rubric insisting upon 'reverent consumption' after the 1552 version dropped it. Insistence on the ablutions came about as part of the Elizabethan settlement - a compromise to keep catholically-minded on board.

Sadly, it is becoming more widespread and many Anglicans seem not to think it important. I went seriously ballistic when that happened in my church, during a vacancy, after a visiting celebrant left the consecrated elements on the credence table (where they shouldn't have been in the first place). A churchwarden's response was that 'Leo has some odd views about this sort of thing.'

Should this practice become even more widespread, i shall cross the Tiber instead of merely fantasising about it.

[ 10. October 2013, 15:46: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watch the person and if they look at me I will look back.

If there is left over bread and wine, and no one is around to help consume it, I soak any bit of bread in the wine and pour both down the Piscina. If no Piscina is available I have gone outside and poured it down into the ground. This is rare, perhaps on Christmas or at a large funeral when you are not sure how many people will be coming forward to receive.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah, but remember the Lisbon earthquake: hit on All Saints Day 1755 when all the churches had all their candles lit, and the city went up in flames. You wouldn't want that to happen again, would you?

Correlation =/= causation.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not just improper, invalid, since there would be no consecration of wine at the next euchasrist, it already have been consecrated.
Sorry, still not making myself clear. Never mind- just idle curiosity.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
quote:

Me too - it happens mainly in evangelical churches - but it certainly didn't back in the days when the Prayer Book was followed - there having been rubric after rubric insisting upon 'reverent consumption' after the 1552 version dropped it. Insistence on the ablutions came about as part of the Elizabethan settlement - a compromise to keep catholically-minded on board.

Sadly, it is becoming more widespread and many Anglicans seem not to think it important. I went seriously ballistic when that happened in my church, during a vacancy, after a visiting celebrant left the consecrated elements on the credence table (where they shouldn't have been in the first place). A churchwarden's response was that 'Leo has some odd views about this sort of thing.'

Should this practice become even more widespread, i shall cross the Tiber instead of merely fantasising about it.

IIRC the 1662 Prayer Book makes no comment about ablutions, merely about consumption of remaining elements. It has two things to say about consecrated elements which are not used in the service
quote:
When all have communicated, the Minister shall return to the Lord's Table, and reverently place upon it what remaineth of the consecrated Elements, covering the same with a fair linen cloth.
and
quote:
And if any of the Bread and Wine remain<snip> of that which was consecrated, it shall not be carried out of the Church, but the Priest, and such other of the Communicants as he shall then call unto him, shall, immediately after the Blessing, reverently eat and drink the same.
If anything the impression given is that ablutions will not take place until after the end of the service.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

The 'ablutions' are just a reverent way of ensuring that all that remains is consumed. Be that as it may, the BCP certainly doesn't envisage leaving the Blessed Sacrament lying around on credence tables or poured down sinks.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I read somewhere that official C of E rules (do't know where they come from) demand reservation in both kinds. I wish they didn't as I find it inconvenient.
There are no CofE rules on reservation - other than the ones that arguably ban it. The rule you are talking about is the one that says that communion must be in both kinds except in cases of necessity. And inconvenience is not necessity.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The 'rules' I was thinking about are in our diocesan handbook - since it is up to each diocesan bishop.

The inconvenience is that it is easy to carry a pyx in my pocket to use during calls where needed during a day.

With consecrated wine, it necessitates a small chalice, carried around with the cruet and pyx in a little case and returned to the tabernacle at the end of each day - lots of extra journeys.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
The 'rules' I was thinking about are in our diocesan handbook - since it is up to each diocesan bishop.

The inconvenience is that it is easy to carry a pyx in my pocket to use during calls where needed during a day.

With consecrated wine, it necessitates a small chalice, carried around with the cruet and pyx in a little case and returned to the tabernacle at the end of each day - lots of extra journeys.

If it's up to each diocesan bishop, then I don't see how there can be
quote:
official C of E rules
s.8 of the Sacrament Act, 1547 (the only un-repealed section) states that
quote:
that the saide moste blessed sacrament be hereafter commenlie delivered and ministred unto the people, within this Churche of Englande and Irelande and other the Kings Dominions, under bothe the Kyndes, that is to saie of breade and wyne, excepte necessitie otherwise require
So basically "wot ken said"
Presumably the diocesan handbook's rules are merely to ensure that the law is observed.

Indeed the only necessity I have ever encountered which has compelled me to administer the sacrament in one kind, is an inability to swallow even a small morsel of wafer. Then I have given wine only - a tiny drop.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

But presumably the Sacrament Act was referring to celebrations of the Holy Communion, not the taking of the reserved sacrament to the sick and housebound.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the same thing. Servers are distributing communion to the congregation. It's just some of them are further away than others so it takes longer to get there.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
[QUOTE]...
Indeed the only necessity I have ever encountered which has compelled me to administer the sacrament in one kind, is an inability to swallow even a small morsel of wafer. Then I have given wine only - a tiny drop.

You managed to avoid all that sodding about with bread only during the swine flu flap a few years ago, then?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
It's the same thing. Servers are distributing communion to the congregation. It's just some of them are further away than others so it takes longer to get there.

Servers at St Sanity prepare the chalices and so forth. Assistants prepare the altar and distribute.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016