homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All Souls' Day (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All Souls' Day
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister, we offer a similar range of services - this year, 9am said Eucharist on All Souls' Day with the names of the departed read out and tonight, Sunday 3 November, there's our equivalent of Lighten our Darkness, the annual Bereavement Service.

Any funeral taken in the team churches or by a member of clergy over the previous August to August (it's too near for many families in the last 3 months) are invited to the Bereavement Service. That service includes the Russian Contakion sung by the choir, and is an informal sung service, the names of those remembered read out and lighting of tealights to remember people.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
As I type, we have an empty coffin in our vestry, apparently to be used at this evening's Requiem Mass. (At least, I hope it's empty. The priest assures me that it is)

I'm intrigued to see how it's going to be used.

We had the catalfalque, as well, as it is the norm in Extraordinarm Form Requiem High Masses for All Souls. It sort of "stands in" for all of the faithful departed, and functions exactly the same as one would at a funeral Mass.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Ceremoniar is right. That's the first time I've heard Ken's bizarre re-interpretation. (You don't need to believe 'the Romish doctrine of Purgatory'; a fuzzy Anglican one does instead. But it's about the dead not the living.)

I heard a Lutheran defense of it: on Nov. 1 we give thanks for all known and unknown saints who have gone before us. On Nov. 2 we give thanks for all souls who have gone before us. Notice the emphasis on remembrance and giving thanks for their lives rather than on praying for the departed souls. In this way, it is not dissimilar to Jewish liturgy concluding with the Mourners' Kaddish, an ascription of praise.

It is perhaps noteworthy that most religious traditions have ways of expressing thanks for those who have gone before. Popular piety practically demands it. I'm not surprised that Lutherans have either conflated Nov. 1 and 2 or have picked up both the feast and the commemoration. In my own experience, All Saints (almost invariably transferred to the first Sunday in November) is extremely popular.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints' is our Feast of Title, so we celebrated a Festal Eucharist in gold on Sunday morning.

At 4pm, after a half-muffled quarter peal on the bells, we celebrated a Eucharist for our "All Souls' Service". We have a classic Anglican fudge, but manage to keep everyone on speaking terms. Our incumbrance is not really of the tradition of the parish. So we keep All Souls in white [Eek!] , with nothing that could be construed as prayer for the dead, just a vapid "remembering". I was handed this to read. But it is a Eucharist, with normal Sunday ceremonial, incense, choir, necrology (aka 'list of names'), and tealights.

All this said, it is our best-attended service after Christmas Midnight Mass. We invite funeral families, and some come back year after year. When all they've had is a 25 minute crem funeral, they can meet the same clergy playing on their own turf and be swept up into the mysterium tremendum et fascinans. I just wish we didn't preach such drivel.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a lovely All Souls Eucharist on Thursday night- many of the choir were away so we had a congregational setting and 4 hymns - including the lovely Christ Enthroned in highest heaven to the Piccardy tune. Liturgy was standard CW with a few additional prayers from elsewhere.

We used an incense pot and the congregation lit candles in sand during the Act of Remembrance as names were read out, and after the lights were dimmed we chanted a Taize chant. It was half-term so a few of the regular congregation were away, but offset by a few visitors which brought the numbers up to 140. Perhaps the most moving part was seeing people enjoying solace, silence and reflection in the candle-lit church.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our All Soul's observance included a Solemn Requiem with a catafalque and plenty of unbleached candles. The choir sang Rheinberger's Requiem in E-flat Major.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
All Saints' is our Feast of Title, so we celebrated a Festal Eucharist in gold on Sunday morning.

At 4pm, after a half-muffled quarter peal on the bells, we celebrated a Eucharist for our "All Souls' Service". We have a classic Anglican fudge, but manage to keep everyone on speaking terms. Our incumbrance is not really of the tradition of the parish. So we keep All Souls in white [Eek!] , with nothing that could be construed as prayer for the dead, just a vapid "remembering". I was handed this to read. But it is a Eucharist, with normal Sunday ceremonial, incense, choir, necrology (aka 'list of names'), and tealights.

All this said, it is our best-attended service after Christmas Midnight Mass. We invite funeral families, and some come back year after year. When all they've had is a 25 minute crem funeral, they can meet the same clergy playing on their own turf and be swept up into the mysterium tremendum et fascinans. I just wish we didn't preach such drivel.

Isn't it usual that churches named All Saints' (and presumably All Souls') do not keep their Feasts of Title? I have been in a church called All Saints' before but they would not have kept any Feast of Title or Patronal Festival anyway....

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

Isn't it usual that churches named All Saints' (and presumably All Souls') do not keep their Feasts of Title? I have been in a church called All Saints' before but they would not have kept any Feast of Title or Patronal Festival anyway....
We are All Saints, and we keep the day (or transferred to Sunday) as the Patronal.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The two neighbouring All Saints' Churches keep their feast of title - both CofE.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why wouldn't a church named All Saints keep its titular feast? It would be kept on that day. Now, on the other hand, a church named All Souls would not. But then again, titular feast and patronal feast may or may not be on the same day. A church named All Souls might have a patron that is not in the title of the church, and they would still keep the patronal feast.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A dismal response to All Souls' Day in my part of the world: I couldn't find a single Anglican church that was doing an All Souls eucharist on All Souls' Day. (I may, of course, have been looking in the wrong places.) All seemed to be transferring All Saints onto the Sunday (I remember when we used to transfer festivals off Sundays!) and either ignoring All Souls altogether or turning the two days into a mish-mash best described as All Smumbles.

I consoled myself (literally, having no other way to commemorate my beloved departed) by saying the Office of the Dead.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:
Our All Soul's observance included a Solemn Requiem with a catafalque and plenty of unbleached candles. The choir sang Rheinberger's Requiem in E-flat Major.

The only church in Boston that celebrated All Souls' with Rheinberger's Requiem seemed to do that on Sunday, November 3. To celebrate a Solemn Requiem on a Sunday seems. . . incorrect, to say the least. Do you know why your parish decided to do it this way?
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We observed All Souls' on the day at our usual 930am Mass - black/silver chasuble, suitable readings (from the Roman Missal!), necrology, and a couple of hymns.

All Saints' was observed twice! On the day itself at a local block of new sheltered flats, where we have started a monthly Mass, and again on Sunday (with the same readings) at the Parish Mass - though, being half-term/Halloween season/Bonfire Night season*, a number of our young families was absent.

*Yes, I know - secular/pagan dross, but popular in this area........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday evening in the Octave is quite a popular time for All Souls around here, especially this year when some places seem to have balked at a solid triduum of observances.

I've been in Toronto for the past several days. On Saturday morning there was a Requiem Low Mass at St Bart's (black vestments, Lady altar, sequence said by celebrant). The cathedral did theirs at the Chapel of St James-the-Less (purple, choral but not requiem setting: Byrd's Mass for Four Voices). On Saturday evening, the choir of St Simon the Apostle sang Fauré.

St Mary Magdalene sang the Victoria requiem on Saturday morning, but St Thomas's, Huron Street, held off till Sunday night for Duruflé. St Matthias, Bellwoods, is doing it on Wednesday night.

Only the cathedral in Montréal, a liturgical law unto itself, kept the main Sunday "morning" services (the French Mass is actually at a quarter to 1 in the afternoon) as All Souls, bumping All Saints (for which they did, to their credit, have a Choral Eucharist at noon on Friday). And even then they used an actual requiem setting - Victoria's Requiem for 4 voices - unlike St Matthias, Westmount, which used some contemporary Canadian setting that mixed the requiem texts with lines of poetry deemed relevant.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here at our little southern AC shack the All Saints/All Souls festivities were as follows:
  • All Saints Day: low mass at 8 am, preceded by MP, then high mass with solemn procession at 6:30 pm. choir sang Andrea Gabrieli Mass in F and John Goss 'These are they which follow the Lamb'. Hymns included 'For all the saints', 'Who are these like stars appearing' and 'Ye watchers and ye holy ones' among others (not very good attendance)
  • All Souls Day: low mass of requiem in the afternoon, with some unusual liturgical aberrations: to wit: violet vestments (we have black), celebrant included Gloria in excelsis, appeared to be editing the minor propers as he went along, incense was used at beginning at offertory and at consecration; blessing was given, absolutions were not said. In short, sort of a bastard child of EF & NO in Rite I language. lighter attendance than yesterday
  • SUNDAY: a repeat of All Saints Day: same music & hymns with alternate readings and a different preacher (good attendance)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
quote:

Why wouldn't a church named All Saints keep its titular feast? It would be kept on that day. Now, on the other hand, a church named All Souls would not. But then again, titular feast and patronal feast may or may not be on the same day. A church named All Souls might have a patron that is not in the title of the church, and they would still keep the patronal feast.
I think I may have got it confused with churches named All Souls' - but in any case it's just what I heard. Also good point about patrons not in the title of churches (we are in that position, although we are not All Saints' or All Souls').

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All-souls Day should be scrapped.

But I have no objection to making Hallowmas a 2-day festival. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:

The only church in Boston that celebrated All Souls' with Rheinberger's Requiem seemed to do that on Sunday, November 3. To celebrate a Solemn Requiem on a Sunday seems. . . incorrect, to say the least. Do you know why your parish decided to do it this way?
I can't speak for Quam Dilecta, but do you suppose it might be a pastoral choice (economia to the Orthodox) to allow the Sunday-only portion of the parish to witness a profound service of which they might otherwise be completely innocent?
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
All-souls Day should be scrapped.

Would you care to tell us why?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Souls celebrated Saturday evening, in black vestments. Yours truly singing the minor propers as well, including the Sequence! Ferial tone for the Lord's Prayer confused some people, who should have recognized it from Merbecke, but what can you do?

No Gloria, no Creed, no doxologies, no prayer for peace, and no blessing. Read out a list of 20-30 people by name for the intentions.

Didn't do the Absolution of the Dead; maybe next year we can scrounge up a catafalque, or at least lay the pall on the ground. It would also give us an excuse for incense, and I always like that.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
maybe next year we can scrounge up a catafalque, or at least lay the pall on the ground

Think making sets for a college rep theatre.

You can probably make do with this:
1) two straight back chairs with reasonably level chair back tops, set with the seats facing each other about a coffin's length apart,
2) a piece of plywood cut in a rectangle the size of a coffin top (by your friends at the local Home Despot), to set on top of the top edge of the chair backs, and
3) a bunch of hymnals on top of the plywood sheet set back from the edge to give the top that beveled coffiny look.

Then drape with the pall and presto-change-o!

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the list of those remembered on All Souls' Day, did you have any suppressed-giggle inducing names?

We had two this year: first was 'Bobo' which produced a smile; that was followed a bit later by 'Fast Eddy,' which caused a few stifled chuckles.

In fairness, I'm not sure that those submitting these names realized that they would be read aloud. And I have no problem with this, except a lingering mental picture of Fast Eddy zooming around Heaven on a Harley. [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One year we had Dick Withers. I really try hard not to laugh, because these names mean a much-missed real person to somebody, but I'm afraid that one got me beat.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016