homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Orthodox Catholic and Holy Synod of Milan

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Orthodox Catholic and Holy Synod of Milan
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago when I was in Walsingham, I met briefly Father Demetrius, who is a bishop and abbot in the Orthodox tradition of the Orthodox Catholic and Holy Synod of Milan. Father Demetrius is based in a monastery in Snowdonia, north Wales. I had never heard of this branch of Orthodoxy, presumably it is Western Rite, or is it?

Can any shipmates tell me more about this church, and are there any shipmates who belong to it? Has anyone been on retreat to the Monastery of St John the Baptist and St George in north Wales?

Would be interested to know more, please ...

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost everything I know about Milan comes the Subdeacon Michael, either here on the boards or in another place. I have a dim recollection that there was some kind of organizational division a while back. I believe the European congregations may have reconciled with some canonical Orthodox body, while North America, where IIRC the Western Rite groups were concentrated, remained a separate diocese. I welcome any efforts to clean up that half-digested narrative, of course.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Googling is not enormously informative, but suggests that the North Wales community can be found at:

THE ORTHODOX COMMUNITY OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST GEORGE, LON BATUS, CARMEL, CAERNARFON, GWYNEDD, LL54 7AR

and is part of the Holy Synod of Milan:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Synod_of_Milan

Who are apparently Old Calendarists (not sure what that means). The community has, as its Monastery church, a former independent chapel:

Cilgwyn Independent Chapel.

[Edited for scroll-lock, etc. djo]

[ 10. November 2013, 13:03: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
A few years ago when I was in Walsingham, I met briefly Father Demetrius, who is a bishop and abbot in the Orthodox tradition of the Orthodox Catholic and Holy Synod of Milan. Father Demetrius is based in a monastery in Snowdonia, north Wales. I had never heard of this branch of Orthodoxy, presumably it is Western Rite, or is it?

Can any shipmates tell me more about this church, and are there any shipmates who belong to it? Has anyone been on retreat to the Monastery of St John the Baptist and St George in north Wales?

Would be interested to know more, please ...

The Milan Synod was one of the more moderate Old Calendarist jurisdictions. It came about as a result of differences among the Greek Old Calendarist groups.

At one time, relations were very good with ROCOR, and it was we who consecrated bishops for them. As it was told to me, relations became strained over a canonical matter to do with the reception of defrocked clergy.

The Milan Synod was joined, at one time, by a group in North America, and eventually had communities in Spain, Italy, Germany, Britain, and North America. Only the North American ones had Western Rite communities.

Over the years, the Milan Synod has made attempts to enter into mainstream Orthodoxy by approaching one or other of the existing Orthodox churches - and come very close on occasion, yet all without success.

After the spring of 2011, the Milan Synod all but ceased to exist. I did follow this for quite a while as this was sparked by their latest attempts at union with the Russian Orthodox church. I had hoped that this would be successful. They ceased to be in communion with their fellow Old Calendarist synods (including the North Americans) as part of their approach to Moscow. Most of their own bishops left for one reason or another, leaving only the Metropolitan and one Archbishop, both of whom resigned their episcopal rank and had been serving as simple priests, commemorating the Patriarch of Moscow in their services. There were Youtube videos of this - I do not have Romanian, Italian, or Russian, but it is easy enough to identify what is going on and being said. Whatever this remnant was, it could not be called a "Synod" of bishops, by any imaginative stretching of the definition of the word.

What happened, I do not know, but after two years of this, the Milan Synod seems to have rebooted itself over this past summer and its two bishops are bishops once more. I can only assume the attempt at union was without success. If it were otherwise, there would have been a formal announcement.

There are two Milan Synod clergy in the UK but no established parish life or regular services as far as I am aware. Fr Demetrius had not been consecrated to the episcopate when I last spoke with him.

I hope that's of some use.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting reply Scrumpmeister. Thank you!

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016