homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Advent 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Advent 2013
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well we began Advent today. A solo voice began Morning Eucharist singing the first verse of 'Creator of the starry night' (NEH 1).

All in purple. Advent hymns. Restraint. Lots of waiting talk (!). Advent candle 1 lit at the end by a child, with a simple prayer.

Lovely!

How was it for you?

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had one Advent hymn, one Christmas hymn, and a general one related to the Gospel. As is our local practice, a family* came forward to light the candle at the beginning of the service. I was disappointed (but not surprised) that we had the Gloria, as I love the symbolic anticipation of saving it for the feast, and also that we didn't have the Nicene Creed come back. Proper liturgics (i.e. those that aren't made up locally, irrespective of tradition) are not a strong suit amongst Lutheran leaders.

*It need not be relatives. Sometimes it's just a couple people who usually sit near each other at worship. Today it did happen to be a father, mother, and two small children.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great Litany sung in procession around the church with smoke. This took the place of the prayers of the people.

Otherwise, we just let the propers for Advent I do their job.

Oh. And, the dratted Advent wreath had one candle lighted.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We incorporated our blessing of the Advent Wreath and lighting of the first candle into the prayers of the faithful, as suggested by the Book of Blessings. it does seem odd to me to have it unlit throughout the Liturgy of the Word, but it's what's in the book, and it is a very nice rite. New Mass setting for Advent (Steve Warner's Mass of Charity and Love, which seems to fit the Advent mood well). Opened with O Come, o come and closed with Wake, O Wake and Sleep no Longer, which went well with the second reading. I preached on running as the Christian form of waiting, drawing on the Collect as my primary text and reinforcing that with images from the Isaiah and Romans readings.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advent wreath (all RED, grrrr!), "O Come, O come...", "Armour of light" Collect (Yay!), and World AIDS Day (African Stole - dark blue with red AIDS ribbons and African Table cloth ditto)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm at a new place this year.

-Purple vestments This surprised me because their is this odd bluish cope and chasuble hanging in the closet that I assumed was for Advent. Now, I'm wondering why we have an odd blueish (sort of blue and white tapestry looking) colored cope and chasuble hanging in the closet. I'll have to get to the bottom of the liturgical mystery.

-Advent wreath with purple and pink candles An acolyte lit the candle and the congregation said the sentence

-We didn't do the Great Litany. I'll save it for Lent. Maybe next year. The nave is a bit small to be doing much in the way of solemn processions. And yet, we have copes (not just the odd blue and white one). When will I wear the copes if we don't have processions?

-Advent hymns

-Special Prayers of the People for Advent

-Of course the prefaces and collects

-Switched to Prayer B

-Used the seasonal blessing for Advent from Book of Occasional Services

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the full Advent rituals at the morning services - Advent candle ceremony, Advent hymns etc, purple vestments and no Gloria. However, much to everyone's surprise 9 lessons and carols took place in the afternoon. I'm not sure who decided that should happen so early. Other years we have had an Advent carol service, but not this year. Anyone else experience this?

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at my usual church today (visiting friends, and them not being Anglican it isn't their usual church either). Lots of alleluias and the celebrant (the church is in interregnum) talked about the symbolism of the Advent wreath colours, talking about rose being for Advent 4 [Confused] Although I suppose at least they used the purple and rose candles.

The choir was very good though and I wanted to steal them for back home [Big Grin]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to combine all four of the readings for today into a semi-coherent sermon. That in and of itself is an accomplishment.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
When will I wear the copes if we don't have processions?

Off the top of my head (YRMV*): committals; solemn celebrations of the Hours; weddings and funerals which aren't in the context of Eucharist; other things I'm probably forgetting about.

--
* Your rite may vary.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue vestments, smoke, Matins Responsory, "Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending", and an Advent litany I found on TextWeek. All in all, a wonderful service. Also, a larger crowd than usual -- I feel like I preach better when the crowd is larger.

Advent is here! I'm so happy!

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because Advent fell on the first Sunday of the month, we had a family Eucharistic, with a talk for the children on the subject of waking up and being ready for the birth of Christ; the point was illustrated by getting them all to play sleeping bunnies. It was good to have he children actively involved in our worship at the start of the Christian year.

We lit the first candle on the advent ring, of course (three purple, one pink and a white candle in the centre)

We sang the Taize chant "Wait for the Lord" for the intercessions - repeated many times while the priest intoned over us. During this we each held a tealight as a focus for our prayers and were enjoined to light it for 5 minutes every day between now and Christmas There was a plain chant sanctus, a profession of faith instead of the Nicene creed and a different Eucharistic prayer with more congregational responses.

All in all a very enjoyable and moving service let down by the choice of hymns: Make Way (a Graham Kendrick number - say no more) Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord (a good rousing hymn tangentially relevant to Advent, but why O why when there are so many wonderful traditional Advent hymns?) and we finished with Lo he comes with clouds descending. That is one of my favourite Advent hymns, but our church uses a hymn book where the editors have made pointless and irritating changes to the words, prompting much muttering to Mrs Gwalchmai in the pew next to me.

But all was redeemed this evening with an Advent Carol Service where we sang the advent hymns with the "correct" words and the readings and singing were interspersed with the Advent Antiphons.

All in all, an enjoyable and spiritually moving start to Advent.

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advent wreath - the couple who lit the first candle came up in the procession.

O Come, o come... I hate that one [Mad]

Confiteor (in English), Kyrie in Greek

No Gloria [Biased]

Agnus Dei in Latin.

O Come, Divine Messiah [Yipee]

Everything else was Status quo ante except we were finished by 09h20, so we sailed out to tea and cookies.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Purple vestments, no Gloria,the Trisagion instead, statement of the Law and general confession moved to after Humble Access rather than just before the Gloria, 3 Advent hymns, lighting of the first Advent candle at the end of the procession, and the O antiphons in the prayers of the people. A good Advent sermon by a visiting preacher, a good-old-fashioned Low Church Prayerbook Anglican.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm at a new place this year.

-Purple vestments This surprised me because their is this odd bluish cope and chasuble hanging in the closet that I assumed was for Advent. Now, I'm wondering why we have an odd blueish (sort of blue and white tapestry looking) colored cope and chasuble hanging in the closet. I'll have to get to the bottom of the liturgical mystery.

Sounds like you had a Marian-friendly predecessor somewhere in the past. Might be fun solving that mystery!
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet that's it. Haven't seen one like it before. I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow and see if I can find any Marian imagery.
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many churches in the United States seem to believe that having a parishioner with a Hispanic surname is sufficient warrant for claiming the "Spanish Privilege" and using blue vestments for Marian feasts.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had it lit up with a candle about Advent, and there are many candles left also to be used every Sunday, and so there will be 4 and then 5, one in the centre.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Family eucharist with baptism:

Started with the hymn The Advent of our God (NEH14)then we lit the first Advent candle before the choir sang Palestrina's Matin Responsory - real tingle factor at the end, the kids loved it. The Sunday School did a presentation on Advent, Christingles lit and handed out. After creed and prayers Children's Society boxes were brought up with the Offertory (Hills of the north, rejoice).

Proper office hymn for morning during communion -
Verbum supernum or High word of God - then Long ago, prophets knew (to Personent Hodie) and Bach's P&F in G minor (542) to finish it all off.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Gee D
...O antiphons in the prayers of the people...

[Eek!] O Antiphons before the 16th [Eek!]

Next you'll be having O come, O come, Emmanuel before the Third Sunday.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
quote:
posted by Gee D

Had O Come, O Come Emmanuel yesterday!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
World AIDS day Vigil not well attended. I wonder if this Day has served its purpose now?

We changed some of the Eucharist texts for Advent - different words at the fraction, and at the greeting.

Is Advent marked in your christian community in any way outside the church building? We were given take home material with a simple prayer and thought for each week in Advent, and the prayer on it was what we used as we lit the Advent candle on the wreath.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

We give out the Little Blue Books from the diocese of Saginaw.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Advent began with a fabulous Advent Procession at St Paul's Cathedral on Saturday night. There is something so wonderful about sitting in a darkened cathedral with thousands of others in silence, eventually broken by the choir singing from the West End Timor et Tremor (Poulenc setting. There then followed a moving series of readings, anthems and congregational carols, with progression through the nave and trancepts corresponding with the increase in light and climaxing with a hearty "Lo! He comes with clouds descending".

Sunday was spent at St Mary Abbots 9.30am Sung Eucharist where the service began with a procession of lots of children to organ music and the lighting of the wreath ceremony. As well as the Advent Wreath and beautiful purple vestments, they mark the season by moving to plainsong for the chanting of the Psalm, and the Missa De Angelis setting for the Eucharist.

I received a text from my friend who discovered that Rowan Williams was preaching at St Augustine's Queen's Gate (down the read) and we delayed our mid-morning meeting to attend. Though under the HTB umbrella the traditional service there has been maintained with incense, robed choir, servers, and full choral setting (though there was no sign of an advent weath). Luckily too, the screens were all folded away out of sight. There seemed to be a warm fellowship between the longer-standing congregation and its newer members. Dr Williams' sermon was beautifully delivered, and he also presided at the Eucharist.

The evening ended with another Advent carol service at Holy Trinity Sloane Square following the sequence of 8 readings, choral anthems and congregational carols.

You won't be surprised to know that nearly all the Advent carols were covered - I am looking forward to singing Wake, O Wake in a couple of weeks time.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Gosh rich fayre, Liturgylover.

It made me wonder if someone could tell us about Advent Sunday in a remote location as a contrast!

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I bet that's it. Haven't seen one like it before. I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow and see if I can find any Marian imagery.

My previous parish had a white set with blue trim which was fairly obviously intended for Marian feasts. Alas, my current cure has just the four main colors in terms of vestments : violet, white, red and green. There is a rose set, of vastly inferior make, and a black set which is on permanent loan from a parish that never uses it, and that's that.

At least our violet set has a maniple, which the others don't.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Advent 1 was lovely, but certainly more MOTR than many of the observances described above.

We had "O Come" as the processional hymn. Following the choir and altar party, the procession included children from our church school carrying 7 small banners that depicted each of Christ's titles (Root of Jesse, etc.) I had done a lesson for them about the OT prophesies of what the Messiah might be like. We looked at symbols for each of the titles and then the children did a banner for each. They were quite proud of them and very solemn as I sent them down the aisle, one for each verse.

I suspect that isn't everyone in Eccles' cup of tea, but many in the congregation said it shed new light on the verses for them. And it certainly got the children started on an Advent frame-of-mind (as opposed to "countdown to Santa," which Christian Formation folks find a constant struggle!)

And the recessional hymn was "Lo, He Comes" to Helmsley, which always gives me goosebumps.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChippedChalice
Shipmate
# 14057

- Posted      Profile for ChippedChalice   Email ChippedChalice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the litany in procession and Kyrie, followed by a mini-liturgy for lighting the Advent wreath complete w/ 2 verses of "O Come, O Come" (like all dubious things - found online), then the normal Solemn High Mass, along with the Exhortation read after the Sermon. Later that afternoon, Advent Lessons & Carols featuring our superb choir.
Posts: 131 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
originally posted by Mamacita:
I suspect that isn't everyone in Eccles' cup of tea, but many in the congregation said it shed new light on the verses for them. And it certainly got the children started on an Advent frame-of-mind (as opposed to "countdown to Santa," which Christian Formation folks find a constant struggle!)

I would have been all for it. Children making banners in Sunday school and then processing with them as part of the lesson is one thing. Adults of a certain age being attached to felt banners made before I was born is quite another. Plus, I would have had an excuse to wear the purple cope!

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advent here in SC, USA began pretty splendidly, though I say it meself.

Organist played 3 settings of 'Nun komm, der HH' -- one by Gerald Near before the mass, 2 by JSB at end.

Pro hymn was 'Lo He Comes' to 'Helmsley' YEA!!

No Litany in Pro this year -- saving it for Lent, I guess.

Music of the Mass was Andrea Gabrieli Mass in F (Kyrie, Sanctus/Ben, Agnus Dei) No Gloria, of course, and creed sung to our usual chant setting.

Anthem was 'O Pray for the Peace' by John Goss, went well, but it's just sorta ho-hum, IMHO.

Closing hymn was -- wait for it -- O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, which I loathe and despise. Not only was it 15 days early, the Hymnal 1982 version is shoddy, and it seemed to take FOREVER! But it's by way of being a local sacred cow, so I won't have any luck getting it banned.

Rector trekked up the candle a bit by beginning the canon while Sanctus was being sung. When choir finished Sanctus he said 'until His coming again,' the bells rung, and then he pronounced the Words. After Elevation of the Chalice (and bells) choir began Benedictus and rector continued the prayer silently, and all finished more or less together. [Yipee]

It will be interesting to see what reactions come from the congo. This was the first time (in a while) that we've done this. Needless to say, I loved it. (But then I would, wouldn't I?)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our usual morning Parish Mass, with lighting of the first Advent candle (we have 3 purple, one pink, and one white) accompanied by a suitable prayer gleaned from Common Worship. Advent hymns including The advent of our king; Lo, he comes; Come thou long-expected Jesus, but, of course, no Gloria.

Late-afternoon Liturgy of Penitence and Hope, based on the O Antiphons, with (despite extensive publicity)a single-figure attendance! Never mind - it's worth doing, and next year perhaps we'll simply decamp to the Lady Chapel....

Cracking homilies from Father at both services, I'm happy to report!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hope this isn't too tangential but I've just learned that in Italy the Immaculate Conception will be celebrated next Sunday,8th December.Certainly since Vatican 2 the Sundays of Advent have had precedence over any other feast ,but the Congregation for Divine Worship has given the Italian church special permission
to celebrate this on the traditional day,8th December.Possibly it's because 8th December is a public holiday in Italy.
I also wonder if pope Francis will continue the tradition of going to the foot of the Spanish Steps to honour the Blessed Virgin by placing flowers at the foot of the statue of the Immaculate Conception.
The Virgin's statue has a huge wreath of flowers over her arm,but that is placed earlier on in the day by a Roman fireman on a turntable ladder.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
posted by Gee D

In fact we, like Mamacita, had that as our processional hymn. Good stuff.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
quote:
posted by Gee D

I had it twice!

I think it works well for the reflective beginning of Advent. Am happy for 'Lo He comes' to be saved for the time when the Christ-child is more imminent however.

No Wachtet Auf so far this year, which is disappointing.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
quote:
posted by Gee D

Advent Sunday isn;t Advent Sunday without it.

And then you bring it back at the proper time three weeks later.

I like to use it early in the midnight Christmas Eve service as well. Get them to quiet down and think a bit before its all shepherds and choirs of angels and silly sermons about presents.

(OK, OK, in even a moderatly well-run church the silly sermons about presents come on Christmas morning, and you actually get to talk about Jesus at the midnight service. But I have seen it flubbed)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

It will probably reappear on the 3rd Sunday. It always has in the past, and there's no reason to think it won't this year. The rector has a pretty good idea of what would be done to him if it is not listed for Advents 1 and 3.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I submitted (by e-mail) my "requests" re: stoles, hymns, Collects, etc on the Wednesday evening before Advent 1.
So far, so good.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the midst of the start of Advent, will anybody be commemorating St. Nicholas? He is the patron of the parish I currently attend although he doesn't get much of a look-in unfortunately!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we will - a recently-introduced monthly Mass at a new sheltered housing scheme in our parish will celebrate him tomorrow!

And a neighbouring church dedicated to him will celebrate him on Sunday evening at their monthly 630pm Solemn High Mass....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
In the midst of the start of Advent, will anybody be commemorating St. Nicholas? He is the patron of the parish I currently attend although he doesn't get much of a look-in unfortunately!

Doffed a hat to him at the Morning Office - not least because he provides the 26th anniversary of my priesting

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

You were wearing a biretta?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No comment, your honour

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Congratulations on your anniversary Zappa. I took the hat-doffing as figurative rather than real…..

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by zappa
quote:
... the 26th anniversary of my priesting
Church in Wales, then?

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:

We did him at school Mass yesterday. I forgot to put my shoe out last night, so I don't know if he visited the rectory...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He visited our Manse this morning. Perhaps he's gone over to the Baptists.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We celebrated St Nicholas rather modestly at our daily mass today -- a little confused; tab veil was white, but priest wore violet vestments. Used a generic set of propers (I think), and did a bit of a homily, leaving out all the fun, legendary parts.

I had a rather more festive celebration all my own last evening. Listened to a pretty good recording of Britten's 'St Nicholas' (not far after BB's centenary), remembered singing it as a uni student, and downed a couple glass of hearty red.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

Rector trekked up the candle a bit by beginning the canon while Sanctus was being sung. When choir finished Sanctus he said 'until His coming again,' the bells rung, and then he pronounced the Words. After Elevation of the Chalice (and bells) choir began Benedictus and rector continued the prayer silently, and all finished more or less together. [Yipee]

Doesn't he know that he's supposed to say the Roman Canon silently while that's happening? [Smile]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We did - by happenstance his feast coincided with our Friday morning Mass. We also, of course, prayed for the soul of Nelson Mandela. Oddly appropriate as the historical St. Nick is mainly remembered for whacking Arius in the kisser at the Council of Nicea whilst hagiographical Nick is remembered as Santa Claus. In the same way The Blessed Nelson (PBUH) was a much harder character than you would think from the eulogies currently being bestowed upon him. (This is not a criticism, btw, you do not survive 27 years in prison by being the Rev'd J. T. Flannel.)

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

We observed Nicholas at Evening Prayers, a brief bio about him, special reading from scripture for him, and a short 'litany of St Nicholas' - all said. 5 attended.

What about (Immaculate) Conception - does that feature at your place on Monday?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016