homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keeping it in the family

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Keeping it in the family
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happened to visit an ancient parish church in my home town at the weekend, and happened to take a squint at their board showing past rectors which went all the way back to 13-something-or-t'other (including an interesting stretch of asterisked 'ministers during the commonwealth').

I was surprised to see a certain family name appear in 1780, and five generations of this same family later, the last incumbent in this dynasty retired - in 1971, having taken up his post just after the war.

Was this common, and what brought it to a close? Idle non-conformist curiousity wants satisfying.

cheers
Mark

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Roselyn
Shipmate
# 17859

- Posted      Profile for Roselyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a start for you

According to findings from Ancestry.co.uk, just seven per cent of children today end up in the same job as their mother or father.

Indeed, children are three times more likely to choose a different career from their parents than to do something similar.

This is a sharp deviation from the Victorian era, when nearly half of children - 46 per cent – followed in their parents’ footsteps.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309138/Sorry-Mum-Dad-Children-longer-want-follow-career-path-parents.html#ixzz2mMQ16 IBp
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Posts: 98 | From: gold coast gld australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The extent of it sounds remarkable I have to say!

However, to have two or three generations would be common enough back in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, yes, especially in rural areas.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The current Rector of Christ Church, Toms River, New Jersey, the Rev. Joan Pettit Mason, is the daughter of the (late) Bishop Vincent Pettit -- who was Rector of Christ Church before becoming Bishop. Bishop Pettit's father, the Rev. John Pettit, was also at one time the Rector of Christ Church.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the squire owned the advowson he would likely name one of his family as vicar when a vacancy occured. As each generation inherited the living the vicarage would tend to be given to a son or nephew. The civil government and courts in England would never let spiritual or moral considerations interfere with what they considered to be the property rights of the patron.
Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roselyn
Shipmate
# 17859

- Posted      Profile for Roselyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Leeds the city owned the advowson and their were mayors and Vicars and priests in the same families
Posts: 98 | From: gold coast gld australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's probably to do with the advowson being in the same family. Unusual to find it running on into the mid C20, though, not least because of the number of estates that were sold up from the late C19. But even then, there'd be nothing to stop you selling the estate and keeping the advowson, which is IIRC a piece of real property in its own right.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of a priest living now and active as such who, I have been told, is directly descended from a priest in the reign of Queen Anne (300 years ago) and of whom I have also been told that only one of the intervening generations was not ordained.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advowson = legal right to name the priest in an Anglican parish?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that's it

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or rather to present a priest with a living. The priest receives faculties/licence from the Bishop, if I am not mistaken.

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

That's it. To name or nominate, but not to licence.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Yes, it's probably to do with the advowson being in the same family. Unusual to find it running on into the mid C20, though, not least because of the number of estates that were sold up from the late C19. But even then, there'd be nothing to stop you selling the estate and keeping the advowson, which is IIRC a piece of real property in its own right.

I don't believe that you could, nowadays, sell the estate with the advowson. An advowson is real property in its own right, but can no longer be bought or sold; only bequeathed or gifted.

I learned about advowsons when I lived in Bath. I was told that evangelical organisations like the Simeon's Trustees went about buying up advowsons in the time of the Oxford Movement to keep the Ritualists out of parts of the country, and one of their areas of focus was the West Country in general and Bath in particular.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes, I'd forgotten that advowsons can't be sold nowadays, though I suppose you could give one away with an estate that you'd sold. There used to be a chap on the Ship who had an advowson, didn't there- now what was his name? Quite interseting when the topic came up. He was clearly very conscientious about his duties as patron.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016