homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Methodist vestments

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Methodist vestments
Casineb
Apprentice
# 15588

- Posted      Profile for Casineb   Email Casineb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the C of E is allowing (or recognising what already happens in many churches) priests to ditch their robes. This got me thinking about the Methodist Church which, in my experience, doesn't use vestments.

British Methodists services I've attended have been led either be a lay preacher or a minister in suit and tab collar.

So is there generally an objection to the use of vestments in British Methodist churches? Does it vary based on geography? Would it be inappropriate for a minister in a church that has not used vestments to turn up to a service in alb or gown and bands?

I am aware that in the United Methodist Church (USA) there is a use of vestments, which is interesting. Is it generally just alb and stole?

Posts: 25 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. Ministers in Methodism can wear vestments. I found this photo just to show some do but I do admit that they may be rare.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presbyters (ordained ministers in the Methodist church) or deacons can wear vestments, usually for Holy Communion. Lay preachers don't have robes or vestments, as they aren't ordained and normally have regular 'day jobs' in addition to their preaching duties.

[ 28. December 2013, 17:05: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Casineb
Apprentice
# 15588

- Posted      Profile for Casineb   Email Casineb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What vestments would typically be worn for communion services?
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have on rare occasions seen British Methodist ministers preach in robes. In the two cases I can remember the best, one is a very elderly retired minister who still preaches, and the other is a minister from West Africa who served as a local preacher in the UK.

Some Methodist clergy, especially the women and ministers who have been promoted into more senior roles, sometimes wear brightly-coloured stoles. And some of them like the big blingy crucifixes on chains, but again, this is quite rare for the average male minister.

I've noticed that Methodist clergy in ecumenical church meetings are more likely to be in everyday wear than CofE clergy. Ironically, though, the Methodist minister who jettisons the dog collar almost completely is probably much rarer than the CofE vicar who preaches without vestments. IMO this is because the influence of laid-back independent charismatic pastors has been greater in the CofE than in Methodism.

I get the impression that American Methodists are posher in general than British ones, so it doesn't surprise me that their ministers go for more distinctive clothing.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of several Methodist ministers who wear cassock-alb and a stole of the appropriate colour of the season when celebrating communion.

I remember some years ago, the minister of my local Methodist church would wear a cassock with academic gown & hood when leading worship.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it varies from circuit to circuit, but I can't imagine any of the ministers in my circuit getting all dressed up like that - there would certainly be comment on it. I've never seen it in the Methodist churches I've attended in other cities either, and I've been a regular attender for most of my life.

If Methodist clergy do wear different colours at different times of the year the congregations are rarely told why. There doesn't seem to be a great consciousness around vestments, although perhaps it's different at the grandest Methodist churches, or those influenced by the close proximity of very high CofE congregations.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a fine study of the issue of gowns versus vestments called 'Blackbirds of budgerigars' by the Methodist Sacramental Fellowship as a PDF .

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I remember some years ago, the minister of my local Methodist church would wear a cassock with academic gown & hood when leading worship.

This - without the hood - is what I remember from my childhood and what the previous Minister of the Methodist Chapel here in the New a Forest wore to ecumenical events.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention I recently attended a funeral presided by a Methodist minister who was wearing a Geneva gown

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
There is a fine study of the issue of gowns versus vestments called 'Blackbirds of budgerigars' by the Methodist Sacramental Fellowship as a PDF .

Thanks for that! It's very informative as well as confirming some of my suspicions about 'cross-fertilization' as well as a certain free-for-all approach.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been to a service at a large Methodist church in the West Midlands where the minister wore a blue cassock and I think this was her usual wear for services. No vestments though.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a pond difference? My cursory understanding is that US Methodists tend to be slightly higher up the candle (They would wear alb/stole and even chausables!) than UK Methodists.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Is there a pond difference? My cursory understanding is that US Methodists tend to be slightly higher up the candle (They would wear alb/stole and even chausables!) than UK Methodists.

US Methodists have bishops, even!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It varies from minister to minister. Some wear suit and tie, others suit and clerical collar. Others wear some kind of robes/vestments. The traditional thing is cassock and bands (with gown, hood, scarf sometimes). I wear alb and stole (of the appropriate colour) at the Eucharist, Baptisms, funerals and weddings and cassock and bands most other things. Occasionally I add gown etc. to that if it's a more formal occasion.

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I've noticed that Methodist clergy in ecumenical church meetings are more likely to be in everyday wear than CofE clergy.

This is probably true but personally I always wear clericals to ecumenical meetings - a context in which there can be those who need reminding that Methodism "claims and cherishes its place in the Holy Catholic Church which is the body of Christ."

[ 29. December 2013, 07:11: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
This is probably true but personally I always wear clericals to ecumenical meetings - a context in which there can be those who need reminding that Methodism "claims and cherishes its place in the Holy Catholic Church which is the body of Christ."

Is this what's called assertive ecumenism, in contra distinction to the more fashionable "receptive" variety?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly! It's far more fruitful [Big Grin]

[Though I confess to not having heard the term before... did you coin it or is it actually used?]

[ 29. December 2013, 07:32: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

US Methodists have bishops, even!
Quite a few do world wide. I am the niece of a former South African Methodist Bishop of Kimberley, and Bloemfontein. I a pretty sure Namibia was not part of his patch.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only seen Methodist ministers in Geneva gowns though I know some do wear cassock-alb and stole for communion. Some Methodists in the US want to move more towards being like Episcopalians. I've seen them wear black suit and clericals. They are obviously a minority.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Perhaps the setting has something to do with the appeal or otherwise of vestments. If you're a Methodist minister in a shabby 1950s church that's suffering from a bit of rot and crumbling paintwork then wearing grand vestments will probably look vaguely ridiculous. But in an imposing neo-Gothic Victorian building (or whatever imposing architectural alternatives there are in worldwide Methodism) it fits the bill.
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Exactly! It's far more fruitful [Big Grin]

[Though I confess to not having heard the term before... did you coin it or is it actually used?]

It was an expression that came into my otherwise vacant head as I read your post. I wouldn't claim to have coined it, however - my capacity for originality is very limited - I suspect I heard it somewhere or another. It seems rather good though, don't you think? It accurately described my decision to use the Angelus as the pre-lunch prayer at the strategy session of the Church Investors Group at Baptist House, Didcot in 2012. What surprised me most was the extent to which the Baptists present were interested in it.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I operate as a Reader (Lay Minister) at our local Anglican Parish Church, which is an Ecumenical Partnership with the Methodist Church. This enables me to act as a Local Preacher in the local Methodist Circuit. When taking a service at a Methodist Church, I wear a cassock and my blue Reader's scarf (no surplice though). No-one has passed a comment of any kind - perhaps they are too polite.

An eminent Methodist Minister who lives in our Parish and sometimes presides or preaches for us does so wearing cassock and bands, and enjoys also wearing one of our selection of copes. Being tall and distinguished-looking, he carries this off with aplomb. My wife thinks he will be the first Methodist Pope.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Eirenist

I didn't know that CofE readers wore special clothing to preach. That's interesting to know.

It does sound from this thread as though my circuit is particularly Low when it comes to the vestments thing. Your wife's jokey comments about a Methodist Pope do indicate that there are some rather posh Methodists about!

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C of E Readers are supposed to wear cassock and surplice, or alb/cassock-alb, with The Dreaded Blue Scarf (our badge of office, as it were), when officiating/assisting/preaching at services. Some Readers (myself included) even wear dalmatic or tunicle at the Eucharist*, if acting as liturgical deacon or sub-deacon!

*in which case, we leave off The Dreaded Blue Scarf, coz it would look silly/sillier....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Round this way, Anglican lay-readers tend not to wear any form of distinctive garb ... simply jacket and tie or smart dress if they're female ... but it will vary according to churchmanship, of course.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I'd be fascinated to hear from anyone who's been to a church where the Methodist lay preacher was dressed up in vestments! That would be exotic.

Methodist lay preachers tend to wear suits, or sometimes formal blouses and skirts for the women, but this is more due to age and status than churchmanship. Younger preachers are quite rare, but they're almost always less formal. However, I do remember one 30-ish blonde woman who preached in a suit with high heels and long red fingernails - certainly formal, but not in the usual retired schoolteacher mode.

I know of one female Methodist minister who wears heels in the pulpit, but it's rare. It's not a look that would suit the cassock-alb - or is it? Are there many CofE lady vicars who'd conduct worship dressed like this woman?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2242007/The-Vicar-wears-Prada-How-Rev-posed-fashion-shoot-dog-collar-caused-unholy- row-faithful.html

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Presbie lay speaker down the road from me wears a Geneva gown and stole. That's the best I can do. [Razz]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The mode for United Church of Canada clergy these days is alb and stole for everything, then cassock-alb and stole, then Geneva Gown (now vanishingly rare [Frown] ). The alb and stole overtook the Geneva gown in the 1960's. Ma Preacher's Ordination photo pictures her in a green chasuble over her cassock and stole. Keep in mind that most lay United Church members wouldn't know what a chasuble if it fell on them, nor any of its connotation.,

Around here, clergy are those fools people suffer for seven years until they move on, it's the Elders keep the church running for decades.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
I'd be fascinated to hear from anyone who's been to a church where the Methodist lay preacher was dressed up in vestments! That would be exotic.

Methodist lay preachers tend to wear suits, or sometimes formal blouses and skirts for the women, but this is more due to age and status than churchmanship. Younger preachers are quite rare, but they're almost always less formal. However, I do remember one 30-ish blonde woman who preached in a suit with high heels and long red fingernails - certainly formal, but not in the usual retired schoolteacher mode.

I know of one female Methodist minister who wears heels in the pulpit, but it's rare. It's not a look that would suit the cassock-alb - or is it? Are there many CofE lady vicars who'd conduct worship dressed like this woman?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2242007/The-Vicar-wears-Prada-How-Rev-posed-fashion-shoot-dog-collar-caused-unholy- row-faithful.html

The priest in the article is in her streetwear, not choir dress or vestments - and given the black shirt it's unlikely that even she conducts services in those clothes. Most female clergy I've encountered are MOTR-to-high and would not conduct services in streetwear.

--------------------

gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As to age of preacher and dress, most of the younger preachers I've know (including my self) would tend to go for suits when preaching. Generally turning up looking smart, and having made an effort. This done in the main so that untidiness of the person did not detract from the message they brought.

quote:
I know of one female Methodist minister who wears heels in the pulpit, but it's rare. It's not a look that would suit the cassock-alb - or is it?

Knowing a few Methodist minister who wears heels in the pulpit, I'd say that it goes fine with the cassock-alb (if the item has been measured to be worn with heels).

As to the diversity of dress among Methodist Minister, looking back at the photos from ordination this last summer, of the group we have:
-3 in cassock and stole
-1 in suit and stole
-3 in suits
-2 in black dresses that have space for collars in them
So that is a likely good sample of the diversity among a group of Methodist ministers.

Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casineb:
... British Methodists services I've attended have been led either be a lay preacher or a minister in suit and tab collar. ...

When you say 'tab collar' do you mean an ordinary civilian collar worn with a tie, or a clerical collar that is a sort of white plastic thing that can be inserted into a clerical shirt?

I've commented on the concurrent thread about CofE vestments that I can't see any conceptual difference between robing in the manner prescribed by the canons, and taking a service wearing a clerical collar. In both cases, the person leading the service is wearing something specifically reverend which ordinary people don't wear. So to my eyes, a Methodist minister taking a service in a clerical collar may not be as showy but is as much dressing 'clerically' as one wearing cassock, surplice, black gown, alb, stole, chasuble, cope or whatever.

On CofE Readers, I've been under the impression that the prescribed correct wear is a cassock, surplice and blue scarf, but never an alb of any sort. Some male ones wear a blue tie in the sort of situations when an ordained person would wear a clerical collar. I can see though, that a Reader who is doing something else, rather than something specifically Readerish might wear the clothes appropriate to what they are actually doing.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Casineb
Apprentice
# 15588

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
When you say 'tab collar' do you mean an ordinary civilian collar worn with a tie, or a clerical collar that is a sort of white plastic thing that can be inserted into a clerical shirt?

Plastic insert
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
On CofE Readers, I've been under the impression that the prescribed correct wear is a cassock, surplice and blue scarf, but never an alb of any sort.

Different dioceses stipulate different things but mine stipulates surplice and scarf.

However, given that everyone else in the sanctuary wears albs, I'd look odd in a surplice so i wear alb.

In my last parish, people wore cottas so a surplice would, again, look out of place.

Forward in Faith parishes have alb and blue scapular - i fancied one of those until someone told me that I would look like a dinner lady.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by gog:
As to age of preacher and dress, most of the younger preachers I've know (including my self) would tend to go for suits when preaching. Generally turning up looking smart, and having made an effort. This done in the main so that untidiness of the person did not detract from the message they brought.

Oh, they always look tidy! But that's not to say that their choice of clothing is utterly unmemorable. People have their favourite 'look', and their listeners notice. (Or maybe it's just me??) When young university students (not ministers in training) lead worship, for example, they go for a casual look that no one remarks upon, but on an older person that mode of dress would incite a few comments, I'm sure.
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our previous Vicars liked all ministers to match so when functioning at the Eucharist Readers in our parish wore (and I continue to wear) an alb with blue scarf. God doesn't seem to mind.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

But our archdeacon DOES mind. One of my colleagues seems worried that she might turn up when he is in alb and scarf.

I'm not. if she makes a fuss, I'll ask her to buy me a new cassock that actually fits me. The one i wear now, for choral evensongs and cathedral do's is what I purchased when i was aged 16. i have grown since then.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016