homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » No Substantive Change in Behaviour, so Wither the Revolution?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: No Substantive Change in Behaviour, so Wither the Revolution?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no true accountability for those who cause the most tribulation, they simply shuffle the cards. But the game remains the same.
No, I am not suggesting the "Storm the Citadel!" type of revolution, but we need to enact true change.
So can we?

Cross all ponds question, BTW, since we all have this issue.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of almost no one being convicted of a criminal offense for the packaging, rating, and selling of junk mortgages as completely safe and trustworthy investments, I totally agree that that totally needs to change.

As for the large bonuses that continue to be a part of paying employees in the financial sector, I don't think it needs to change because of issues of fairness or justice but rather of sound economic policy. If you give people short-term rewards based on short-term measures of success, no one is going to care much about long-term performance of investments (nor will they make investments the promote the long-term health of the economy). I generally feel that anyone can pay anyone else as much salary and perks as they want so long as everyone in society gets a living wage and a fair opportunity at success (which is totally not happening now). But the way bonuses are structured in finance is just poison for the health of the economy. There is a case here for government regulation and what has been passed since the 2008 crisis has hardly any teeth.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We need to enact true change" - I guess so. Unfortunately, humans tend not to act until something catastrophic happens, and even then, they may well repeat the same mistakes. I suppose that is happening now with banking and other financial institutions.

I left the Labour Party in disgust about 40 years ago, and I suppose my idealism has drained away since then. So basically, I ignore politics in the main, as most of it seems asinine.

Maybe the new generations will find some new enthusiasm!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think many of the enthusiasts of my generation recently left the Lib Dems in disgust. The "real alternative" party had been growing in popularity for some time. So the lefty voters are definitely out there, just lacking someone to vote for.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

No, I am not suggesting the "Storm the Citadel!" type of revolution, but we need to enact true change.
So can we?

I do not believe we can . It's a case of 'if you can't beat em join em' .

Unlike the class system, Capitalism allows anyone to go from rags to riches ,(in theory) . The desire for self-betterment put an end to Old Labour , and TB's --"things can only get better" theme tune closed the door on it ever returning.

It's always tempting to fall into an anti-wealth rant if it's not something we personally aspire to . But what really is the crime of Fat Cats who shit on the floor thus providing the rest of us with a job clearing it up .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see here. The people and entities who fund the campaigns of politicians tend to be the people who have lots of money to spend and have even more money they wish to protect and preserve. Which means we cannot really pretend to be shocked when these campaign donors tend to get away with all kinds of greedy behavior. After all, if they didn't make excessive amounts of money, they wouldn't have it to cough it up for campaign funds.

On the other hand, a solution stemming only from regulation is highly unlikely to work in my opinion. I say* this because folks with enough money can either figure a way around regulation, or hire people to figure a way around regulation. That History thing lilBuddha mentions in another thread might instruct us on this subject.

Change can only really come from the bottom up. We need to quit electing the types of people who cater to the rich who become rich not off of production, but off of manipulation. The only way to do that is to have a population of voters who not only vote, but who investigate, learn, and reason.

How soon is that going to happen? I don't know, maybe as soon as radicalized proselytizers disguised as news anchors are shown the door. Or maybe when we get serious about education and put money into our schools like we put money into having the latest gadgets.

Thus endeth the sermon for today.

________
*Actually, write. This is not a verbal medium and the only folks around here who know the actual sound of my voice are the Nashville Mafia, RooK, Alan Cresswell, and Simon.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
... we need to enact true change.
So can we?

I believe Gandhi's exhortation to "be the change you want to see in the world" is based on Buddhist teaching, but I've come to think that this is also what Jesus meant when he said "the Kingdom of Heaven is within you".

I'm no longer sure which way to vote, but I now think that voting is only a small part of it. I have to do more now: where I out my money, where I spend my money, where I give my money, that all has to matter. My small bit seems too small to matter, and my efforts too puny; I just feel I have to try.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw the title of the thread, I wondered whether "wither" should be "whither", or is this suggesting the revolution should waste away and die?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016