homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Standardized Spelling Elitism? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Standardized Spelling Elitism?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
On the confusion about 'thrush' in Finnish, I was half expecting the link to take one to medical illustrations of embarrassing skin infections.

I'm not so mean to the hosts - but it's what the poor guy found when he googled.

quote:
l'Organist posted
Of course, homophones can give amusement too:
The Reverend Wright decided to write of the right way to perform the right.

Surely he's performing a rite?

There a few misspellings I see so frequently on-line that I really have to think which one I want to use when I'm writing:
  • principle/principal
  • stationery/stationary
  • practice/practise
  • licence/license
For those last two, the UK English spelling differentiates between the noun (c) and verb (s), unlike American English.

And then there all those sayings that have been adopted into every day speech but are based on technical language:
  • bated breath
  • bearing with someone
  • weighing anchors
  • bosun / boatswain
  • forecastle and fo'c'sle and all the other sailing terminology
For some of these the incorrect spelling is replacing the traditional spelling

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the gnome:
One problem with reforming spelling to reflect the actual pronunciation of words is that it's counterproductive if not everybody pronounces the same word the same way. Take, for instance, the word "schedule." We Americans pronounce it "skedjool" while many Brits pronounce it "shedyool." At present we have a single spelling to represent the word, which enables us to read each other's writing even in cases where we would find each other's speech nearly incomprehensible.

An extreme case of this is Chinese, which is a single language in its written form, but whose characters represent such wildly divergent pronunciations in different regions of the country that the different forms of spoken Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin, etc.) are considered by linguists to be distinct languages, not merely dialects of a single language. For purposes of communication between speakers of different forms of Chinese, having a single non-phonetic writing system is quite useful.

Excellent point. And it can work in reverse too, with multiple spellings to represent the same phonetics. The first time I visited America, I noticed a Lebanese food shop selling "kabobs". It took me a little while to realise that they had used that spelling to get much the same spoken result that Lebanese people in Australia got from selling "kebabs" instead.

Because the simple fact is, Australian English doesn't have the concept of a long 'o' vowel that American English has. And an American seeing the letter 'a' for a long vowel thinks of a very different sound to an Australian long 'a'. Which is precisely why it's so amusing to try and adjust one's pronunciation of words like 'banana'.

[ 07. December 2013, 11:45: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Kebab' hasn't got a long vowel. It has two short ones.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest
The argument that you should only use standardized spelling for the sake of legibility is as unconvincing as the argument that you shouldn't use uncommon words in your writing for the sake of comprehension. You judge your audience and their ability to understand spelling variations and typographical errors as well as their ability to know or lookup uncommon words. Most people have wide exposure to misspelled text and have learned to understand it.

The question is how much effort the reader is willing to put in. If the subject matter appears interesting or can possibly benefit the reader, he will expend far greater effort to understand. If it's something like an application for a job for which there are many other applications, the reader is likely to toss aside any application which is not easy to understand.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest
The argument that you should only use standardized spelling for the sake of legibility is as unconvincing as the argument that you shouldn't use uncommon words in your writing for the sake of comprehension. You judge your audience and their ability to understand spelling variations and typographical errors as well as their ability to know or lookup uncommon words. Most people have wide exposure to misspelled text and have learned to understand it.

The question is how much effort the reader is willing to put in. ....
One should always assume the reader isn't willing to put in any effort. Why should they?

That's what I've been trying to say. If you think you have something to say, it's up to you to hold the reader's attention and get your message across.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it's a matter of processing. If I am having to read a book about a difficult concept AND plough through stupid spelling and grammar and punctuation errors, then I'm going to say "screw it" and go read a book by somebody who cares about me as a reader.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
So are you saying that ALL people should be expected to spell correctly or not write anything.

No, but they shouldn't expect to be read if they're writing for widespread public consumption.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite. It's a basic courtesy to put yourself in your reader's, or hearer's, place.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And then there's the British version. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Someone who knows more Arabic than I do (and more about it) can probably say more, but while "vowels" exist in that language, they vary according to the consonants between which they exist, and as Arabic is used from Algeria to at least Iraq, pronunciation of those consonants varies. So 'kebab' probably will always have two short vowels, I doubt they will always be the same ones!

(btw, standardized spelling isn't elitist. It's spelling.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

And then there's the British version. [Big Grin]
I can imagine someone like Loyd Grossman pronouncing 'kebab' with two long vowels.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loyd Grosman pronounces everything with looooong vowels - you can't use him as an exemplar.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And it's a matter of processing. If I am having to read a book about a difficult concept AND plough through stupid spelling and grammar and punctuation errors, then I'm going to say "screw it" and go read a book by somebody who cares about me as a reader.

quote:
So are you saying that ALL people should be expected to spell correctly or not write anything.

No, but they shouldn't expect to be read if they're writing for widespread public consumption.
Well that is a moving of the goalposts. Many people do not write for widespread public consumption, even as they self publish on the web. That does sound like a requirement of an elite group.

I attended an interesting and gloomy panel on the future of the e-book. Someone who is a professional copyeditor lamented the lack of a viable financial structure in electronic publishing that pays for copyediting.
From her point of view, most authors need a copywriter to correct their work for publication. This certainly shows up in the many factual, spelling, grammatical and typographic errors in the e-books I'm reading. It's obvious that many of them were introduced during the publishing process after the manuscript left the author.

I would agree that one might take more care in writing a job application if it's not a fill in the blanks form. You might even have someone proof read it for you. In casual correspondence and blogging and invitations to the house one need not be so correct and many people are not. It's great to hear a well constructed speech or read a properly editing text. It's growing more uncommon. In the technical fields I work in a great deal of the research is being done by academics who are not native English speakers, since they are still being funded. If you wait for an interesting concept to be presented in a well written paper you may have a long wait.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well that is a moving of the goalposts. Many people do not write for widespread public consumption, even as they self publish on the web.

[Splutter * Cough * Splutter]

I think people who self-publish on the, erm, World Wide Web and who are NOT also writing for widespread public consumption may be a couple of caramels shy of a taffy apple.

quote:
I attended an interesting and gloomy panel on the future of the e-book. Someone who is a professional copyeditor lamented the lack of a viable financial structure in electronic publishing that pays for copyediting.
From her point of view, most authors need a copywriter to correct their work for publication. This certainly shows up in the many factual, spelling, grammatical and typographic errors in the e-books I'm reading. It's obvious that many of them were introduced during the publishing process after the manuscript left the author.

Say what?

I must have missed something. Your editorial speaker wants more money for editing e-books, and yet the errors in e-books are introduced after said books leave the author?

Who, if not some form of editorial life, is introducing all these errors?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[timidly raises a hand] I HAVE noticed some really, REALLY bad wordbreaks at the end of lines in ebooks (like, every other line in some cases). Things like breaking the word "you" so you get yo- on one line and u on the next. Or arse / nic. Just.ewwwww.

Those are not from the author, they are the result of a crappy publishing protocol that doesn't keep syllables together properly (as print publishing programs do). There are plenty of good ebooks that DO hyphenate appropriately, so either they were using a lousy program or they forgot to check a box somewhere when exporting for ePub.

And this reminds me I have to go yowl at my own e-publisher for bollixing up my hyperlinks...

ETA: Totally forgot about the idiots who re-publish authors' works from freakin' uncorrected OCR scans. You have no idea (okay, some of you do) how much damage a scanner can do to a perfectly written and edited text. Turned letters, mistaken letters, fncked-vp punatiou...

[ 08. December 2013, 01:50: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are both author errors and publishing errors. A copywriter can fix the first. Some of the second can be fixed by a proofreader, either the author or someone else.

A great many of the spurious hyphenations in commercial e-books come from the fact that the book was hyphenated at a line break in the process of producing the hardcopy version and the hyphen was inserted as a hyphen rather than a discretionary hyphen. When the hardcopy text is reused and broken to the new measure of the e-book the old hyphen remains as a fossil.

There are similar artifacts from badly done drop capitals and bold first lines.

None of these are the authors fault. Misspelled words are frequently present. They may be bad OCR scans or the fact that the e-book version was entered and never saw a copy editor or proof reader before being distributed.

[ 08. December 2013, 03:58: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Tangent alert
One of the 'best' hyphenating error I've ever seen was an advertisement in a local newspaper in the 1970s long before computers and IT ever existed. A person was advertising various services including "... therapist counsellor ..." but the line break and consequent hyphen had converted this into "the-
rapist counsellor"

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Well that is a moving of the goalposts. Many people do not write for widespread public consumption, even as they self publish on the web.

[Splutter * Cough * Splutter]

I think people who self-publish on the, erm, World Wide Web and who are NOT also writing for widespread public consumption may be a couple of caramels shy of a taffy apple.

Someone may publish for a small audience and not care if a larger audience hears it. One may speak to ones friends in the public square without bothering to learn rhetoric and oratory.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right - just like the person we all love who insists on shouting into their mobile 'phone so we can all share the delights of their domestic arrangements.

Like the much-quoted person overheard on a train drawing into Guildford yelling "We're just getting near Liverpool now - I'll see you at the end of the week."

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yes, Palimpsest, one might. But we're talking about spelling here. The oral equivalent of that would, I think, be pronunciation. If you wish to be understood in speech, you'd be wise not to adopt an eccentric and perhaps haphazard pronunciation system of your own.

[ 09. December 2013, 08:21: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-ize is Oxford (1096), -ise is Cambridge (1209).

Oxford wins.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Someone who knows more Arabic than I do (and more about it) can probably say more, but while "vowels" exist in that language, they vary according to the consonants between which they exist, and as Arabic is used from Algeria to at least Iraq, pronunciation of those consonants varies. So 'kebab' probably will always have two short vowels, I doubt they will always be the same
In Britain both the spelling and the pronounciation of "kebab" come to us from modern Turkish, not Arabic. Same goes for quite a few food names for which American English has been more likely to use Arabic or Greek words. Perhaps because so much of the fast food business in Britain has been run by Turks. Especially the late-night cheap and greasy end of things.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Well, yes, Palimpsest, one might. But we're talking about spelling here. The oral equivalent of that would, I think, be pronunciation. If you wish to be understood in speech, you'd be wise not to adopt an eccentric and perhaps haphazard pronunciation system of your own.

Unless the audience you care about also uses that eccentric pronunciation or understands it. If comprehension of misspelled words was as poor as is claimed here, why would people continue to use it?
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Palimpset
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Unless the audience you care about also uses that eccentric pronunciation or understands it. If comprehension of misspelled words was as poor as is claimed here, why would people continue to use it?
But there are objections to that:
First, if your own accent naturally uses the same 'eccentric pronunciation' well-and-good, go ahead; but if not your audience might decide (correctly?) that they were being patronised.
Second, you ignore the fact that while some regional/national accents or dialects may be difficult to understand - even incomprehensible at times - standard RP English can be understood by everyone.

And the same holds good for standard spelling.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RP is not understood perfectly everywhere. In healthcare Mrs Backslider found that elderly folk in Derbyshire would frequently not understand if asked whether they were able to use a "bahth" by themselves.

I don't think the problem there is one way. Nor do I think it's particularly serious - I can't think of a single dialect or accent used within the UK that's hard to understand - barring the odd "bahth/bath" issue which cuts both ways - unless the speaker's trying to be difficult, or choosing to use a very colloquial register.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Broad Glaswegian is pretty impenetrable...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's ANOTHER reason why standardized spelling is important.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I have read that English is robust in that there are very few dialects which can not be understood by other English speakers. (I think the cited exceptions are Gullah and Cockney although I'd believe Glaswegian is a problem if the movie Trainspotting is a reliable sample).

Pronunciation is an uphill battle because of the British coupling of accent and class. What percentage of the U.K. use Received Pronunciation all of the time? Why don't the others use it?

I believe that reading misspelled words is a lot easier than understanding extreme regional accents, but that may be my own personal strengths and weaknesses. A recent post on this thread was addressed to me, but misspelled my name. I was still able to figure out it was addressed to me and I think everyone else reading this was able to do so. People on here are usually able to comprehend the differences between British and American spellings and are more likely to trip over differences in word usage. Moaning about misspelling seems pedantic.

[ 10. December 2013, 21:54: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on how much misspelling is found in one round of writing. Wading through multiple misspellings is a bitch for me.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have read that English is robust in that there are very few dialects which can not be understood by other English speakers. (I think the cited exceptions are Gullah and Cockney although I'd believe Glaswegian is a problem if the movie Trainspotting is a reliable sample).

Pronunciation is an uphill battle because of the British coupling of accent and class. What percentage of the U.K. use Received Pronunciation all of the time? Why don't the others use it?

I believe that reading misspelled words is a lot easier than understanding extreme regional accents, but that may be my own personal strengths and weaknesses. A recent post on this thread was addressed to me, but misspelled my name. I was still able to figure out it was addressed to me and I think everyone else reading this was able to do so. People on here are usually able to comprehend the differences between British and American spellings and are more likely to trip over differences in word usage. Moaning about misspelling seems pedantic.

Moaning about cross-pond spelling differences would indeed be tedious, but surely this is a matter of degree rather than straight black and white? The "can't be arsed" mindset is effectively disrespectful of any potential comprehension problems the reader may have (and who am I to say what those may be?). Trying to get it right at least raises the probability that my Deep Thoughts will get both read all the way through as well as understood.

Somewhere in the middle is the zone of tolerance we need to extend to the dyslexic, the learner, the person struggling with English as a foreign language etc.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Moaning about misspelling seems pedantic.

sigh No one is moaning about misspellings.
It is the quantity of, not the concept of.

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Trying to get it right at least raises the probability that my Deep Thoughts will get both read all the way through as well as understood.

Jack Handey, is this you?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:

Trainspotting is set in Edinburgh. That may not make it any easier to follow, but it is very important not to mix up Edinburgh and Glasgow. They are two different cities and very touchy about mistaken for each other. You indicate that you come from Seattle. Would you like me to assume you're just the same as a Canadian from Vancouver?
quote:
" "
Pronunciation is an uphill battle because of the British coupling of accent and class.

How familiar as you with the culture? Do you know enough about this to pronounce on it? How one speaks is also linked to how strongly one feels about one's own regional identity. Rowan Williams does not speak RP. He is easy to follow, even if some of what he says is difficult to understand.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I believe that reading misspelled words is a lot easier than understanding extreme regional accents, but that may be my own personal strengths and weaknesses.

Here's the thing: if everybody starts spelling words the way they want to, based on how the words sound to them, these two become exactly the same thing.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think you are confusing dialect and accent. Gullah is a dialect, Cockney an accent. People who speak Cockney mostly speak standard English, or something very near it. By definition dialects are versions of a language which have some reduced mutual intelligibility. If the intelligibility was reduced so much it became impossible for people to understand normal conversation then really we are dealing with a different language, not a dialect. So Jamaican "creole" or "patois" can be considered a different language from English - though almost everyone who speaks it can also speak English and there is a continuum between patois, and a Jamaican dialect of English, and Jamaican English, and standard English in a Jamaican accent that just about any Jamaican can navigate quite easily.

Also I think wherever you got the idea that Cockney is hard for most English speakers to understand must be very confused. its a pretty straightforward south-eastern English accent, not very far from RP (and even closer to standard Australian) Its also close to the normal urban south-eastern English accent that has now become the most widely spoken accent in Britain (what journalists call "estuary English" that is in some ways a compromise between Cockney and RP) Do Americans really have trouble understanding Michael Caine or Alan Sugar?

But yes its true. Almost all commonly sp0ken English accents are easily intelligible to speakers of all the others. British viewers on the whole didn't need help to understand The Wire (though as lots of the main actors were in fact British or Irish its possible the accents were watered down for TV). Most Americans and Australians seem quite able to cope with the wide variety of British and Irish accents used in Game of Thrones. I doubt if many English or American people have much trouble understanding Sean Connery, and his accent is much further from average than any Cockney is. Some British English accents might be so outlying as to be hard for Americans to understand (a few of them are hard for other Brits to understand) but very few of them, and certainly not Cockney. Cockney and RP and other south-eastern accents (and also Australian) are all closer to each other than they are to Midlands accents. And Southern and Midland and North-western English accents, along with Australian, Welsh, most American accents, and many Scottish and Irish accents are all closer to each other than they are to some of the accents of the north-east of England and the east coast of Scotland.

As others have said, Trainspotting is Edinburgh.

quote:

What percentage of the U.K. use Received Pronunciation all of the time?

All of the time? No-one knows, usual guesses are between 1% and 2%. Though plenty of people code-swtich towards RP in formal situations, without usually quite getting there.

quote:

Why don't the others use it?

Why the fuck should we? My parents didn't speak it, the other kids at my school didn't speak it, my neighbours don't speak it, very few of the people where I work speak it. (Of maybe 30 people in our department I think perhaps 2 have a clearly RP accent and another 2 or 3 are sometimes close to it - but this is in a university where just about everyone is well-educated and middle-class)

quote:

I believe that reading misspelled words is a lot easier than understanding extreme regional accents

Well, yes. Kind of obviously. Though I suppose it depends how extreme "extreme" is.

quote:

People on here are usually able to comprehend the differences between British and American spellings...

I doubt if any literate English speaker has any trouble with variant British and American spellings at all. There are very few of them, most of them are pretty obvious, and very often the supposedly British or American version also exists on the other side of the Atlantic.

quote:

Yes, well, this whole thread is a bit of a meaningless straw man. OP says [Eek!] [Eek!] "OMG!!!!!! THE WORLD IS BEING TAKEN OVER BY EVIL MONSTERS FROM TEH DARK LAGOON WHO ARE TRYING TO DESTROY OUR SPELLING" [Eek!] [Eek!] And everyone who posts agrees sort of sensibly that using agreed spelling is in fact quite useful and it would be a bad thing if we stopped although its not exactly a barbarians-at-the-gates end-of-the-world scenario. Made me wonder what the real purpose of the OP was - those mysterious references to "some people" read very much like the start of a Daily Mail hate-fest.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have read that English is robust in that there are very few dialects which can not be understood by other English speakers...

I've encountered a few where I had to work very hard to understand another speaker of English, and on a couple occasions had to translate English to English between two people who could not understand each other at all. (One I particularly remember involved English speakers from Australia and Hong Kong.) And that was just due to accent, not dialect.

Just as with spelling, the ability to understand an accent seems to depend on the amount of difference and the amount of effort that the receiver is willing to do to decode the information. For those close to the median (Estuary English, or the Californian melting pot commonly heard on American TV, for example) most other accents can be understood, but two people on separate fringes of the distribution may have more difficult understanding each other.

Context, which sets the expectations and importance of precision in communications, is important, too. For an evening at the pub where everyone is relaxing into their most comfortable speaking mode, it isn't as necessary to understand every word that someone else is saying. (We've managed that even when we didn't have any language in common.) But a scientific paper, or driving instructions, where detail is critical, often require not only more attention and effort on the part of the listener, but often more care on the part of the speaker to make sure that the information is conveyed correctly.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Palimpsest, if it will cheer you up a bit, I was very grateful that the film, The Help, as issued in the UK on DVD had a subtitles option - sorry, but the system won't let me link to the wikipaedia entry as the web address has some brackets in it. Indeed, without the help of the subtitles, the whites were as difficult to follow as the black servants. To my ears, they all had the same accent and sounded the same.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carex:
quote:
Just as with spelling, the ability to understand an accent seems to depend on the amount of difference and the amount of effort that the receiver is willing to do to decode the information.
Bingo.

I had no difficulty understanding a university friend who spoke Nigerian English (in fact it was quite exciting hearing someone speaking a dialect that our lecturers had been talking about!) but another friend (on the same linguistics course as me) did. Might have been because my native dialect is further away from Standard RP than hers is/was, so I was more used to code-switching.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as a German who has lived for one year in the USA, for close to eight years in Australia and now for close to three years in the UK, there are accents that remain very difficult for me to understand. But I've been stumped in the UK most, in the US less, and in Australia least. Furthermore, in the US it was largely a regional thing, though for some reason I struggled more with understanding women than men (perhaps a matter of pitch and speed). Whereas in the UK gender makes little difference for me, but in addition to regional variation it seems to be a "class" issue as well. It's not just vocabulary and grammar, there are some pronunciation differences there that for me make "lower class" people harder to understand with some frequency. (I really do not intend to be disparaging there, it's simply an observation from dealing with shop assistants, craftsmen, etc.)

As for English spelling, it certainly is a lot less systematic than for example German spelling. Though having memorized it perhaps more explicitly than native speakers, I find that I now spell better within my restricted vocabulary than many of them, even at the university level.

I think it would be terrible for foreigners if there was no "standard spelling" any longer. As horrible as English spelling can be, at least there is just one way to learn (or 1.001 ways, if you count the AE/BE difference). Coping with alternative spellings actually is a "higher skill", in my opinion, as it will rely largely on context and picking up cues of idiosyncratic preference. That's not something you can can expect from a foreigner plodding through a text, possibly word by word.

I think it may be worth thinking about a mild orthography reform. However, is there a desire among native English speakers for that? In the end, this would have to be pushed through by the government, mostly by using it in its own communications and by dictating it to schools as the new standard for their curriculum. That's only going to happen if the population actually thinks that the spelling needs some fixing, rather than treating it as a kind of achievement to know the more obscure ins and outs.

[ 11. December 2013, 17:13: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Palimpsest, if it will cheer you up a bit, I was very grateful that the film, The Help, as issued in the UK on DVD had a subtitles option - sorry, but the system won't let me link to the wikipaedia entry as the web address has some brackets in it. Indeed, without the help of the subtitles, the whites were as difficult to follow as the black servants. To my ears, they all had the same accent and sounded the same.

I saw the film 'Endurance' and had a great deal of trouble understanding the speech of some of the crew members. I later rented the DVD which had subtitles.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

I saw the film 'Endurance' and had a great deal of trouble understanding the speech of some of the crew members. I later rented the DVD which had subtitles.

Moo

The ability to sort through accents is just that, ability. Some people have an easier time than others. My mother speaks more than one language, however her accent does not vary no matter which she speaks. She cannot shake her native accent and has a small difficulty sorting out some accents. Yet she sings a treat; very well understanding, and using, pitch and intonation. Go figure.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
quote:

Trainspotting is set in Edinburgh. That may not make it any easier to follow, but it is very important not to mix up Edinburgh and Glasgow. They are two different cities and very touchy about mistaken for each other. You indicate that you come from Seattle. Would you like me to assume you're just the same as a Canadian from Vancouver?
quote:
" "
Pronunciation is an uphill battle because of the British coupling of accent and class.

How familiar as you with the culture? Do you know enough about this to pronounce on it? How one speaks is also linked to how strongly one feels about one's own regional identity. Rowan Williams does not speak RP. He is easy to follow, even if some of what he says is difficult to understand.

Actually Washington State has it's own Vancouver on the border with Oregon. I wouldn't want to be misidentified as a resident of Vancouver, British Columbia, but I wouldn't be offended by the mistake. It's a wonderful city.

I'm well aware that British class issues have a lot of problems that I don't understand. Pointing out the connection between the arguments that everyone must speak Received Pronunciation and class problems is a disclaimer that it's not a great parallel because I don't understand the coupled class issues. However the example you cite about Rowan Williams makes my point exactly about our ability to understand variants in both spelling and speech.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Rowan Williams makes my point exactly about our ability to understand variants in both spelling and speech.

Variants, not chaos. And because the variants are few, not because they exist.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:

I've welcomed subtitles on some Manchester based films. I'm a good enough reader that reading English subtitles often gives me the illusion that I understand the spoken language for the duration of watching the film.
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I think it may be worth thinking about a mild orthography reform. However, is there a desire among native English speakers for that? In the end, this would have to be pushed through by the government, mostly by using it in its own communications and by dictating it to schools as the new standard for their curriculum. That's only going to happen if the population actually thinks that the spelling needs some fixing, rather than treating it as a kind of achievement to know the more obscure ins and outs.

(my italics)

Largely I agree, but with respect to the bit in italics, just exactly which government would you suggest had the authority to decree this mild orthographic reform among native English speaker -- vastly more of whom live outside the UK than live in it? (I'm not actually suggesting that you were proposing that the UK government could impose such a change, and that the rest of the world's native English speakers would even notice, much less pay attention.)

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

I think you are confusing dialect and accent. Gullah is a dialect, Cockney an accent. People who speak Cockney mostly speak standard English, or something very near it. By definition dialects are versions of a language which have some reduced mutual intelligibility. If the intelligibility was reduced so much it became impossible for people to understand normal conversation then really we are dealing with a different language, not a dialect. So Jamaican "creole" or "patois" can be considered a different language from English - though almost everyone who speaks it can also speak English and there is a continuum between patois, and a Jamaican dialect of English, and Jamaican English, and standard English in a Jamaican accent that just about any Jamaican can navigate quite easily.

Also I think wherever you got the idea that Cockney is hard for most English speakers to understand must be very confused. its a pretty straightforward south-eastern English accent, not very far from RP (and even closer to standard Australian) Its also close to the normal urban south-eastern English accent that has now become the most widely spoken accent in Britain (what journalists call "estuary English" that is in some ways a compromise between Cockney and RP) Do Americans really have trouble understanding Michael Caine or Alan Sugar?

But yes its true. Almost all commonly sp0ken English accents are easily intelligible to speakers of all the others. British viewers on the whole didn't need help to understand The Wire (though as lots of the main actors were in fact British or Irish its possible the accents were watered down for TV). Most Americans and Australians seem quite able to cope with the wide variety of British and Irish accents used in Game of Thrones. I doubt if many English or American people have much trouble understanding Sean Connery, and his accent is much further from average than any Cockney is. Some British English accents might be so outlying as to be hard for Americans to understand (a few of them are hard for other Brits to understand) but very few of them, and certainly not Cockney. Cockney and RP and other south-eastern accents (and also Australian) are all closer to each other than they are to Midlands accents. And Southern and Midland and North-western English accents, along with Australian, Welsh, most American accents, and many Scottish and Irish accents are all closer to each other than they are to some of the accents of the north-east of England and the east coast of Scotland.

As others have said, Trainspotting is Edinburgh.

quote:

What percentage of the U.K. use Received Pronunciation all of the time?

All of the time? No-one knows, usual guesses are between 1% and 2%. Though plenty of people code-swtich towards RP in formal situations, without usually quite getting there.

quote:

Why don't the others use it?

Why the fuck should we? My parents didn't speak it, the other kids at my school didn't speak it, my neighbours don't speak it, very few of the people where I work speak it. (Of maybe 30 people in our department I think perhaps 2 have a clearly RP accent and another 2 or 3 are sometimes close to it - but this is in a university where just about everyone is well-educated and middle-class)

quote:

I believe that reading misspelled words is a lot easier than understanding extreme regional accents

Well, yes. Kind of obviously. Though I suppose it depends how extreme "extreme" is.

quote:

People on here are usually able to comprehend the differences between British and American spellings...

I doubt if any literate English speaker has any trouble with variant British and American spellings at all. There are very few of them, most of them are pretty obvious, and very often the supposedly British or American version also exists on the other side of the Atlantic.

quote:

Yes, well, this whole thread is a bit of a meaningless straw man. OP says [Eek!] [Eek!] "OMG!!!!!! THE WORLD IS BEING TAKEN OVER BY EVIL MONSTERS FROM TEH DARK LAGOON WHO ARE TRYING TO DESTROY OUR SPELLING" [Eek!] [Eek!] And everyone who posts agrees sort of sensibly that using agreed spelling is in fact quite useful and it would be a bad thing if we stopped although its not exactly a barbarians-at-the-gates end-of-the-world scenario. Made me wonder what the real purpose of the OP was - those mysterious references to "some people" read very much like the start of a Daily Mail hate-fest.

There are various references to Cockney Speech as both an accent and a dialect due to the loan words from Yiddish, German and Romany and rhyming slang. Is possible that the accent is surviving in Estuary English while the vocabulary is dwindling?

We Americans don't trouble understanding Michael Caine but he thoughtfully changed his accent for Americans;
Michael Caine on his Cockney Accent
quote:
Then after I made Alfie, it was very popular, and then suddenly they said, “You’ve got to redo 122 lines,” because Alfie was being released in America. And that’s where my voice came from, the one I have now.

You changed your voice?
I had to make Cockney understandable to Americans. One of the main things about Cockney is, you speak at twice the speed as Americans. Americans speak very slow.

I had some difficulty with some of the accents in "The Wire", A lot of the actors were natives of Baltimore. I'm sure that the show was careful to keep the speech understandable to the dedicated watcher while trying to keep the regional flavor.

Your understandable umbrage at the question about why you don't use Received Pronunciation rather than a regional accent is worth noting. Those who insist that only standard correct spelling is acceptable may get the same umbrage although indifference is more likely. I agree with you that one should try to write clearly and try to be able to read most misspelled text and ignore the moaning from those who like to complain. To go back to the original straw man, those who tolerate variant spelling are unlikely to complain if the variant used is correct. They may resent the pedantry.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

I think it may be worth thinking about a mild orthography reform. However, is there a desire among native English speakers for that? In the end, this would have to be pushed through by the government, mostly by using it in its own communications and by dictating it to schools as the new standard for their curriculum.

That's really not how the English language works. We're not German, and we're not French. Any such orthography reform would have to develop organically, by usage.

When a particular usage becomes generally acceptable, it will be marked as correct in examinations.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
We're not German, and we're not French.

...and we love you for it. [Big Grin]

but seriously, I think you are right in that this should not be something left to politicians. There was a spelling "reform" in Germany some years ago. It was a cheap populist exercise, a dumbing down of the language, another result of "culture" ministries pandering to the lowest common denominator. [Mad]

The German "newspell" just looks plain stupid and many people think it went too far. Now they're talking of a reform of the reform.
[Disappointed]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
(I'm not actually suggesting that you were proposing that the UK government could impose such a change, and that the rest of the world's native English speakers would even notice, much less pay attention.)

I'm not saying that you should do that (note my comment on whether enough native speakers would want it), but indeed I think that the UK could do that and that it would most likely work.

After all, foreigners are getting their standard of English that they teach from somewhere. And at least in Germany it is from the UK, not from the USA, and not from India either. We learn "behaviour" and "colour" in school, not "behavior" and "color". And since spelling is one of the problems foreigners face, an attempt by the UK to simplify it most likely would be popular among them.

The UK remains the lead culture on the English language, at least in Germany, and I would bet in Europe. I'm not sure how the Chinese would see this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to learn British English, too. I really think that you have the power to pull off a worldwide orthography reform - worldwide minus other English speaking countries perhaps.

The German orthography reform has been mentioned. No matter what one thinks of that, I bet if you learn German in the UK now, it will be with the "new" spelling. The situation with English is a bit different, but I think it would still essentially follow the same pattern with foreigners if the UK changed its ways.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

America had a spelling reform. That's precisely why their spelling isn't the same as UK spelling!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IngoB: The German orthography reform has been mentioned.
I still miss the ß in some words.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These recent posts also bring out the point that English has no authority over spelling (or indeed pronunciation). It should be fairly obvious that standards of acceptability are effectively crowd-sourced. Don't like -ize endings? Don't use them then. Don't like RP? Don't use it then.

It should be pretty obvious that there is also going to be pressure from both sides of this debate. There has to be. There is always going to be a fuzzy area of acceptability in spelling. Effectively, that sort of discussion is exactly what is going on here on this thread.

But looking at things this way also flags up the warning that the more inflexible spelling nazis and the let-it-rip-it's-elitist-not-to are both authoritarian projects. They care nothing for the debate and views of others in the public sphere. Not that anyone here as been in either of those two places, but they certainly exist as tendencies.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016