homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Standardized Spelling Elitism? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Standardized Spelling Elitism?
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I'm not sure how the Chinese would see this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to learn British English, too.

When I taught English there (admittedly, some years ago now), they were very much in favor of learning American English, as it is perceived as the language of international commerce.

[edited to fix coding cock-up]

[ 12. December 2013, 12:59: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By contrast, when I taught Korean postgraduates at a UK university a few years ago, those who'd brought their families with them were pleased that their children would be speaking British English, which apparently has a higher social cachet in Korea- possibly becaue US English is otherwise the norm there.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
America had a spelling reform. That's precisely why their spelling isn't the same as UK spelling!

And any but the most hardened jingoist will admit that "jail" makes more sense than "gaol."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
America had a spelling reform. That's precisely why their spelling isn't the same as UK spelling!

And any but the most hardened jingoist will admit that "jail" makes more sense than "gaol."
It certainly is a better word. Though oddly, English has apparently always had both forms running side by side. According to the OED they came into Middle English from the two different forms of the French word - northern and central French.

That's enough looking things up today I think!

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When I was working on the history of various Ulster dialects, I noticed that many 19th century documents used the spelling honor rather than honour.

I suspect that rather than a conscious spelling reform, honor just came to be more widely accepted in America.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

When I was working on the history of various Ulster dialects, I noticed that many 19th century documents used the spelling honor rather than honour.

I suspect that rather than a conscious spelling reform, honor just came to be more widely accepted in America.

Moo

Have you not heard of
Webster?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The linked paragraph states some of his reforms and rejected others. IIRC, Webster wished to greatly simplify spelling to a more phonetic system. You may observe how successful that was.
Thus demonstrates the balance of imposed and accepted change.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Moo

Have you not heard of
Webster?

Do you believe the 19th century residents of Ulster took their spelling from Webster?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you saying "honor" came to be the accepted spelling in America because of something that happened in 19th century Ulster?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I am saying that many residents of 19th century America came from Ulster, and they brought their spelling with them.

Webster did not invent the spelling honor; he found it side-by-side with honour. He preferred the shorter form.

He did not simplify spelling; he standardized it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I am saying that many residents of 19th century America came from Ulster, and they brought their spelling with them.

Webster did not invent the spelling honor; he found it side-by-side with honour. He preferred the shorter form.

Moo

You may be underestimating the power that Webster had on the American language. His "Blue Backed Speller" became THE book children in American public (tax-funded) schools learned their vocabulary from for nearly 100 years.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
You may be underestimating the power that Webster had on the American language. His "Blue Backed Speller" became THE book children in American public (tax-funded) schools learned their vocabulary from for nearly 100 years.

I am not denying his influence. I am talking about how he arrived at his standardization. He did not simplify the spelling of honour. He endorsed the already-existing form honor

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I think it may be worth thinking about a mild orthography reform. However, is there a desire among native English speakers for that? In the end, this would have to be pushed through by the government, mostly by using it in its own communications and by dictating it to schools as the new standard for their curriculum. That's only going to happen if the population actually thinks that the spelling needs some fixing, rather than treating it as a kind of achievement to know the more obscure ins and outs.

I can only imagine the Fox News reaction to a proposal that American English be simplified to make it easier for immigrants and foreigners. The U.S. is still working on adapting the metric system. While this would make it simpler for foreigners, it would make it harder for those who claim that there's only one correct spelling and they already know it.

[ 12. December 2013, 23:34: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

I am not denying his influence. I am talking about how he arrived at his standardization. He did not simplify the spelling of honour. He endorsed the already-existing form honor

Moo

I'm not sure anyone is claiming that he invented the simplified spellings he endorsed.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I said there was a spelling reform. Why are you excluding the word 'standardized' from a reform?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
I said there was a spelling reform. Why are you excluding the word 'standardized' from a reform?

Because if he had been trying to create a genuine spelling reform he would have done something about the spelling of right and rough.

He dealt with the very small area where there were alternate spellings. To me reform means something much more sweeping.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Because if he had been trying to create a genuine spelling reform he would have done something about the spelling of right and rough.

He dealt with the very small area where there were alternate spellings. To me reform means something much more sweeping.

Moo

Do you pay words extra when you use them idiosyncratically?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you find it easier to respond in the register of Humpty Dumpty* than argue your case on the basis of a dictionary definition?

*"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." (with a tip of the hat to Justinian who also quoted this recently)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

My field is linguistics, and I have always heard 'spelling standardization' and 'spelling reform' treated as two separate concepts. I think it is a mistake to conflate them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My field is linguistics, and I have always heard 'spelling standardization' and 'spelling reform' treated as two separate concepts. I think it is a mistake to conflate them.

Moo

It is. But Webster changed spellings as well as standardised them. One of his goals was to differentiate American English from British English. IIFC, he wanted much greater change than was accepted. Wimmin instead of women, for example.
Standards were certainly a part, but sure changing the language to differentiate would be reform, yes?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I know that when two forms existed side-by-side, such as honor and honour, he chose one and rejected the other.

Can you tell me of words with only one spelling which he changed?

There may be such cases, but I don't know of them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Wimmin for one. I can look for more. Whilst some of the alternate spellings he proposed existed, they were not common usage. It would be difficult to find an alternate that had not been used somewhere, given that local printers were often their own dictionary. IIRC, Webster was one of those wishing to simplify the lot.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Did the form women not exist side-by-side with wimmin?

I know that Webster was intent on getting rid of alternate spellings.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know that when two forms existed side-by-side, such as honor and honour, he chose one and rejected the other.

Can you tell me of words with only one spelling which he changed?

There may be such cases, but I don't know of them.

Moo

I'm pretty sure many of these proposed changes involved introducing novel spellings:
quote:
Thus bread, head, give, breast, built, meant, realm, friend, would be spelt, bred, hed, giv, brest, bilt, ment, relm, frend.
[...]
Thus by putting ee instead of ea or ie, the words mean, near, speak grieve, zeal, would become meen, neer, speek, greev, zeel.

These and other examples of Webster's suggestions are found in this article.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
I'm pretty sure many of these proposed changes involved introducing novel spellings:
quote:
Thus bread, head, give, breast, built, meant, realm, friend, would be spelt, bred, hed, giv, brest, bilt, ment, relm, frend.
[...]
Thus by putting ee instead of ea or ie, the words mean, near, speak grieve, zeal, would become meen, neer, speek, greev, zeel.

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief

Webster did not include these innovations in his Blue Backed Speller, and they do not appear to have had any effect on American orthography.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
[...]

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief

Webster did not include these innovations in his Blue Backed Speller, and they do not appear to have had any effect on American orthography.

Moo

And the ones he did include, did. So? This proves what? Perhaps it shows the power of the BBS -- the things in it changed our spelling, and the things not in it didn't.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The real problem, ISTM -- and GB Shaw ran up against the same issue -- is that English, to a greater extent than German or French of various languages -- has grown as much by adopting other languages' words as it has by creating neologisms. Where those languages use the same or similar writing systems, English tends to preserve the original spelling in its own usage.

Imposing a language-wide spelling system on the language's sounds at this point is probably impossible; there are vowel sounds used in Australia (as one example) I never hear in normal native American speech.

How would we standardize these?

Further, I think it would be a great loss not to be able to tell, from a word's spelling, where it probably originated from (and before anyone screams it's against the rules to end sentences with prepositions, the OED language police retired that rule in something like 1989).

[ 08. February 2014, 15:59: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
shadeson
Shipmate
# 17132

- Posted      Profile for shadeson         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge
quote:
Imposing a language-wide spelling system on the language's sounds at this point is probably impossible; there are vowel sounds used in Australia (as one example) I never hear in normal native American speech.

How would we standardize these?

Surely the point of a spelling reform would be to allow the speaker to work out how the word is to be pronounced in his own accent. If a combination of (say two) vowels produced a different sound in another accent - so what? At least an Aussi would easily learn the reformed spelling.

Again, if an alternative spelling for a word was commonly defined and accepted, then those sitting in judgement could not complain.

Posts: 136 | From: uk | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem is that sound use in different dialects is not isomorphic - it's not that one sound is universally substituted for another - but that sometimes the sounds are the same and sometimes different, and some dialects mix features common to other dialects. Take, for example, the "a" in path and hard. In my native dialect, those sounds are near enough identical. In a Northern English dialect they are not only different from mine but distinct from each other. Should they have different spellings to reflect the Northern pronunciation or the same spelling to reflect mine? The only way to have phonetic spelling is to have multiple standards to a far greater extent and possibly to the point of unintelligibility (remember that it is often difficult for speakers of local dialects to make themselves understood even within the UK; try getting an Essex girl and a Glaswegian docker to have a coherent conversation. Now imagine they couldn't even write a letter that the other could read).
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shadeson:
Surely the point of a spelling reform would be to allow the speaker to work out how the word is to be pronounced in his own accent. If a combination of (say two) vowels produced a different sound in another accent - so what? At least an Aussi would easily learn the reformed spelling.

Again, if an alternative spelling for a word was commonly defined and accepted, then those sitting in judgement could not complain.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that people should be able to spell words the way they sound in their own accents, without considering that those who read the words might have an entirely different accent?

I'm thinking of the song from My Fair Lady which is sung by Liza Doolittle: "Wouldn't it be Lovely"

The first lines are:

“All I want is a room somewhere
Far away from the cold night air”

To my New England ear, Liza's rendition could be spelled as follows:

"Oll Oi wont iz a rheum sumwheh
Fah Rawhey frem the coald noit aih"

People from my state might render it this way:

"Ahl I wunt iz a rum sumwheh
Faah 'away fr’m the cold nite aih"

People from the coastal south US might sing it as follows:

"All Ah wo-ant iyiz a ruom some whe-ah
Foh awah-y fr’m the co-ald naaht ai-ah"

In upper-class Brit-Speak, it might sound (from my point of reference) like this:

"Awl I wont iz a rheum somm wheh
Faah r’away from the coled nite eyuh"

And from the Ohio area, it might go this way:

"Orl I woant iz a rhum some wherrr
Farr away fr'm the cold nite errr"

It might be easier for individuals to spell as they (think) they speak, but it would render written communication -- which, after all, is what spelling is for -- far more complicated. Certainly it would slow our reading down.

There's overlap and similarities among these renditions, but I can't see how it helps us out with communicating easily and effectively.

If I've misunderstood, my apologies. Perhaps you're suggesting that opposite: that we each pronounce one spelling in our various ways.

But isn't that precisely what we do now?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Seems as good a reductio against spelling reform as one could wish.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I can see how a spelling reform to a new standard might help in learning English.*
But to remove any standard of spelling would render communication near impossible.
I have witnessed two people speaking English with vastly different accent need to resort to spelling to effectively communicate.

*Not that I think this likely to happen.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

shadeson
Shipmate
# 17132

Porridge
quote:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that people should be able to spell words the way they sound in their own accents, without considering that those who read the words might have an entirely different accent?
I'm saying that the spelling would always be the same for the english word, but the pronounciation would always vary. It would be a very great loss (besides being an impossibility) if regional speech sounds were denigrated.

However I think that commonly agreed rules that indicate the sound of vowel combinations would easily define a good approximation to the correct rendering. At present spellings often give no clue.

lilBuddha
quote:
I have witnessed two people speaking English with vastly different accent need to resort to spelling to effectively communicate.
Very likely. But resorting to an easily read word is a plus.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
At present spellings often give no clue.
In the closed thread on simple spellings, you included several words which took me a while to puzzle out, as the way they were spelled bore no relation to the way I pronounce them. - "vier", "advarnss" "arfter" "ideer." Fortunately I could work out which words you meant from the context.

In my accent, there is no "r" at the end of via, or idea, and no "r" in the middle of advance and after; Under your spelling children would have to learn a "silent r" rule - that some words would be spelled with an "r" but that "r" is silent.

You would simply replace one set of "idiotic" spellings with a different set.

How would you decide whether the spelling reflects a rhotic or a non-rhotic accent?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
shadeson
Shipmate
# 17132

North East Quine
quote:
In the closed thread on simple spellings, you included several words which took me a while to puzzle out, as the way they were spelled bore no relation to the way I pronounce them. - "vier", "advarnss" "arfter" "ideer." Fortunately I could work out which words you meant from the context.

It seemed I had rushed in not knowing that the angels were somewhere else discussing if there was a door! As an example it was entirely off the cuff and just to make a point. If you had been taught what sound (in your own accent) 'i' and 'ee' made then you could work out the word and spell it.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you had been taught what sound (in your own accent) 'i' and 'ee' made then you could work out the word and spell it.

Yes - but the whole point is that reading can be quick and automatic if it's standardised. There is no 'working out' unless we come across a word which is new to us.

I teach dyslexic children, and I am dyslexic myself. It's hard enough to learn to spell as it is, without the spellings changing on a whim.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you had been taught what sound (in your own accent) 'i' and 'ee' made then you could work out the word and spell it.

But I have worked out how words are pronounced in my accent - an accent which has morphed over the years, as they do.

What I like about the current spelling regime is that nobody speaks like that. It is not an accurate transcription, AFAIK, of any specific dialect. Were a new scheme to be introduced it would have to take some one spoken version as the model. So is it not just RP all over again?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me put it simply, rhymes do not work the same in all forms of English! What is more they change with time. While there are differences in the words that rhyme, there cannot be a consistent way of spelling English that is consistent in all forms of English.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question, not so much about spelling and grammar differences, but about meaning.

In British English 'alternate' = happening in
turns

and 'alternative' = offering a choice of two things

quite often in UK one sees these two words used wrongly
as in ROAD CLOSED USE ALTERNATE ROUTE

I suspect that this usage comes from American English,but wonder if the meaning is the same for the two words on the other side of the Atlantic.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the confusion is that "alternate" is in fact two words and not one - an adjective broadly synonymous with with the adjectival form of alternative, and a verb meaning "to switch back and forth". This is detectable (at least in my dialect) by the adjective being alTERnut and the verb being ALTernayt.
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

In highway signs, in addition, the "alternate" saves space, energy (in electric signs), and therefore money.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I think the confusion is that "alternate" is in fact two words and not one - an adjective broadly synonymous with with the adjectival form of alternative, and a verb meaning "to switch back and forth". This is detectable (at least in my dialect) by the adjective being alTERnut and the verb being ALTernayt.

My two editions of Fowler seem to take issue with this. The latest (3rd Ed., c. 1993) acknowledges that 'alternate' and 'alternative' are synonymous in some senses in American English, but not in British English.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

I also have a question unrelated to spelling. I keep hearing or reading about "well-paying jobs" and "good-paying jobs." To my ear, "well-paying" sounds very wrong, and good-paying a step or two better, but still not Quite Right. We are arguing about this at work, since we advertise often to fill vacant positions.

As the Designated Writer of this copy at my workplace, I currently duck this issue by writing "competitive wages" or "jobs that pay well" or some, er, alternative. Since my duckings take more space and cost more money, I'm under pressure to use (winces) "well-paying jobs."

Ammunition welcomed.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge

I'm thinking of the song from My Fair Lady which is sung by Liza Doolittle: "Wouldn't it be Lovely"

The first lines are:

“All I want is a room somewhere
Far away from the cold night air”

To my New England ear, Liza's rendition could be spelled as follows:

"Oll Oi wont iz a rheum sumwheh
Fah Rawhey frem the coald noit aih"

People from my state might render it this way:

"Ahl I wunt iz a rum sumwheh
Faah 'away fr’m the cold nite aih"

People from the coastal south US might sing it as follows:

"All Ah wo-ant iyiz a ruom some whe-ah
Foh awah-y fr’m the co-ald naaht ai-ah"

In upper-class Brit-Speak, it might sound (from my point of reference) like this:

"Awl I wont iz a rheum somm wheh
Faah r’away from the coled nite eyuh"

And from the Ohio area, it might go this way:

"Orl I woant iz a rhum some wherrr
Farr away fr'm the cold nite errr"

It might be easier for individuals to spell as they (think) they speak, but it would render written communication -- which, after all, is what spelling is for -- far more complicated. Certainly it would slow our reading down.

There's overlap and similarities among these renditions, but I can't see how it helps us out with communicating easily and effectively.

If I've misunderstood, my apologies. Perhaps you're suggesting that opposite: that we each pronounce one spelling in our various ways.

But isn't that precisely what we do now?

I think this post qualifies as the best example of putting an issue to bed that I have seen on the Ship. AFAIAC, it completely debunks phonetic spelling reform, and the case for the maintenance of the status quo is unanswerable.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

The problem is, not everything I want to read is written by people with my own accent.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
North East Quine
quote:

It seemed I had rushed in not knowing that the angels were somewhere else discussing if there was a door! As an example it was entirely off the cuff and just to make a point. If you had been taught what sound (in your own accent) 'i' and 'ee' made then you could work out the word and spell it.
My issue with those words is not the "i" and "ee" sounds, but with the rhotic and non-rhotic "r". I know what sound "r" makes in my accent; I pronounce "r" as in the first letter of "robot" or "red". In your spelling, there are "r"s inserted where they are not pronounced in my accent, hence, to make sense of these spellings, there would need a rule about a "silent "r" in the same way as we currently have a silent "k" at the start of knight or knee.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
I'm under pressure to use (winces) "well-paying jobs."

Ammunition welcomed.

"Pay" is a verb and as such is qualified by adverbs, as opposed to nouns which are qualified by adjectives. "Good" is an adjective and "well" is an adverb, so "well-paying" is grammatically correct.

That may not be the sort of ammunition you wanted (although FWIW I prefer any of your alternatives to having to choose between the two you are faced with).

In any case, I think the topic at hand here is really spelling rather than grammar.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a similar context would you say ;
I'm paid well or I'm paid good ?
FWIW I would say this is a well paid job

If you wanted to use the present continuous tense,
would you say :

they are paying me well
or
they are paying me good ?

you might of course say :
they are paying me good money.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Payed good" to my ear just sounds wrong. I would definitely say "payed well".

One that annoys me is when someone asks "how are you?" and the reply far too often is "I'm good". I'm tempted to reply "oh, you've been a good boy/girl then?". The correct reply, of course,is "I'm well".

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

I would suggest "high-paying" as an equally short alternative.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016