homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Standardized Spelling Elitism? (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Standardized Spelling Elitism?
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
OK, so if we're agreed that a) standardised pronounciation is not practicable

Agreed.

quote:

and b) one should not infer anything about an individual by the way that they pronounce words..

But of course we infer things about people based on their accents - we identify their regional origins, and to some extent social background. And this is perfectly fine.

The problematic thing is, for example, assuming that someone who speaks with a broad regional accent is stupid or uneducated.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or that someone who speaks RP English is 'posh' and has a privileged lifestyle with plenty of money.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
In fact, I'd argue that, within the U.S., pronunciation is becoming more standardized all the time.

The Northern Cities Vowel Shift proves this wrong, at least as an absolute.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
In fact, I'd argue that, within the U.S., pronunciation is becoming more standardized all the time.

The Northern Cities Vowel Shift proves this wrong, at least as an absolute.
Doesn't this phenomenon rather prove the opposite? That a swathe of the population which originally sported different short a sounds now pronounce said vowel similarly, i.e. are developing a "standardized" accent?

Noted, though, that New England, save Connecticut, has failed to join up. That's New England for you.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doesn't this phenomenon rather prove the opposite? That a swathe of the population which originally sported different short a sounds now pronounce said vowel similarly, i.e. are developing a "standardized" accent?

That's now how I read it. I read it as a vowel shift. A real change from the way the vowels were pronounced 50-100 years ago, but which the vast majority of the nation's population is not falling in line with.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
. . . I read it as a vowel shift. A real change from the way the vowels were pronounced 50-100 years ago, but which the vast majority of the nation's population is not falling in line with.

. . . yet.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I see this is an evidence-free argument zone. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Well, it is if you're not going to accept your own evidence. What does your link show? That people who once spoke differently from one another began to speak like one another, apparently as the result of speaking together more often than they used to. If that's not the development of a new standard for pronunciation for those particular people, what is it?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016