homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Witnessing at work (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Witnessing at work
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kevin, I know at least one pastor who also has a social-work degree, who would absolutely disagree with you that Jesus wants/expects any of us to tolerate work-based situational depression and simply "offer it up." That sounds suspiciously like the Christian radio station program I listened to (under duress) once where a female domestic abuse victim was counseled by a "family expert" to quietly endure her physical abuse and simply pray about it. I call bullshit on that and its variations.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
People aren't really saying that not retaliating, and not taking credit for one's achievements, are uniquely Christian, and will raise eyebrows, are they?

Gulp, double gulp, actually. Where have you been living?

The not retaliating or acting in kind to colleagues who stab you in the back generally leads to people asking you why you don't, which for me leads to my relationship with Christ. Sadly I've worked around many Christians who do react in kind so the next question is why am I different which leads me to giving specifically biblical answers. Not to mention, in my experience those Christians who respond to backstabbing by backstabbing in kind are the same ones who constantly push their version of Christianity on others, so this also raises a few eyebrows/curiosity.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago a co-worker said to me: "Have you found Jesus?!"

I smiled sweetly and replied, "I didn't know He was missing! Last time He went missing someone found Him hiding behind the couch!". Co-worker gave me a positively evil look and walked away, muttering under his breath about "godless heathens". It was great!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a social worker in a government office, and mentioning our own religious beliefs is very frowned upon, although clients often ask us about them.

The issue as I understand it comes down to matters of power and authority. People typically come to social workers in a state of vulnerability. They also often see us as authority figures. There's an unequal distribution of power in the worker/client relationship. To exploit that by "witnessing" to clients who are vulnerable is unfair.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Kevin, I know at least one pastor who also has a social-work degree, who would absolutely disagree with you that Jesus wants/expects any of us to tolerate work-based situational depression and simply "offer it up." That sounds suspiciously like the Christian radio station program I listened to (under duress) once where a female domestic abuse victim was counseled by a "family expert" to quietly endure her physical abuse and simply pray about it. I call bullshit on that and its variations.

I also call bullshit on domestic abuse victims being told to stay in their abusive relationships, no doubt about it. But I don't accept your analogy with the situation I'm talking about, sorry.

It seems the direct parallel would be if someone left their job because the lack of recognition was making them miserable / depressed, and I'd have no argument with that course of action. I suppose I'm saying that our actions in the workplace should always be focused on helping the whole team to be more successful, rather than there being any focus on my own advancement.

So if you (general 'you') think the work is suffering because your skills and successes aren't being noticed then, fine, point it out. But otherwise, I wonder if keeping quiet might be the Christ-like thing.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Niteowl:
quote:
The not retaliating or acting in kind to colleagues who stab you in the back generally leads to people asking you why you don't, which for me leads to my relationship with Christ.
Where did I advocate stabbing people in the back or kicking them when they're down? I wouldn't do that either. But there must be a happy medium between being the office backstabber and rolling over and playing dead for the office bullies, which is what SCK seems to be suggesting.

I wish I worked in your company, or Kevin's. Most places I used to work in would have seen a refusal to engage in backstabbing as a sign of weakness.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I wish I worked in your company, or Kevin's. Most places I used to work in would have seen a refusal to engage in backstabbing as a sign of weakness.

My basic point is that we should be unconcerned as to our own reputation. If refusing to engage in backstabbing marks us out as weak in our particular work culture (or any other sphere of life, for that matter) then so be it. Likewise, IMO, if refusing to seek credit for ourselves (even when to do so would be fair in the world's eyes) marks us out as a pushover or contributes to us missing out on career advancement then, again, so be it. It's just part of taking up our cross and following Jesus, ISTM.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Niteowl:
quote:
The not retaliating or acting in kind to colleagues who stab you in the back generally leads to people asking you why you don't, which for me leads to my relationship with Christ.
Where did I advocate stabbing people in the back or kicking them when they're down? I wouldn't do that either. But there must be a happy medium between being the office backstabber and rolling over and playing dead for the office bullies, which is what SCK seems to be suggesting.

Likewise, what did I say about rolling over and playing dead? I'm generally exercise wisdom around those I work with, especially those I know who are known backstabbers. I've been backstabbed by a few I misjudged, but never more than once and I continued to treat them nicely, but drove them nuts because they couldn't succeed in their mission - which was getting rid of me. I've been treated like shit to my face and those people I continue to treat nicely, but don't leave any holes that would affect my employment. I've made a few friends out of enemies over the years, had to ignore the few who just like being assholes. I refused to lower myself to their level and in so doing have earned the respect of most of my colleagues. Especially those that matter. I've had only 2 places of employment where the bosses were total asshats and I bided my time until I got another job, careful not to burn bridges that might come back to bite me. Frankly, responding without resorting to the world's tactics is operating in strength, not weakness.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
If it's OK to complain about them taking credit which is due to others, surely it's OK to complain about them taking credit that's due to you?

I think there's a difference; the former line of action is about sticking up for the disadvantaged, while the latter is about sticking up for ourselves. I think the former is always a Christ-like thing to do but the latter might not be.
We are commanded to love our neighbour AS ourselves - not more than. I don't see why we should not stick up for ourselves; we should not permit any person loved by God and created in His image to be treated as worthless.
Apart from anything else, I am not sure that it is healthy for the group if one person is allowed to take credit from others - or indeed, if it is healthy for the person being allowed to do the taking.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
We are commanded to love our neighbour AS ourselves - not more than. I don't see why we should not stick up for ourselves; we should not permit any person loved by God and created in His image to be treated as worthless.
Rabbi Hillel used to say, "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, what am I?"
That's always seemed to me to strike a good balance regarding love for oneself and one's neighbour.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who worked in a bookshop (national chain so v secular) and wouldn't witness by talking as such, but would leave leaflets proselytizing in copies of The God Delusion. I was profoundly uncomfortable with that.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pa'Looka
Apprentice
# 17917

- Posted      Profile for Pa'Looka     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
What Lutheranchik said.

Perhaps the problem is that you can't imagine a situation where you yourself might be among the disadvantaged, South Coast Kevin. I can.

Well, being male I don't have the gender-based disadvantage that you've noted. But I'm really not a good self-promoter or networker; I can easily envisage that some achievement of mine has not been noted by the management.
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
t's one thing to happily choose to be the quiet worker bee who takes care of things behind the scenes without expecting kudos, and someone whose serial lack of recognition for work done because s/he has difficulty asserting him-/herself in a group creates depression, frustration and stress, and also creates boundaries to professional success.

Yeah but... The way of Christ is to consider other people's needs above our own, isn't it? If this creates a boundary to professional success then I just see that as one of the sacrifices that following Jesus might entail.

Needs? When did taking credit for someone else's work become a human need?
Posts: 11 | From: Pa'Lookaville (One way only) | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016