homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church in the mall

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Church in the mall
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was walking through a shopping centre in Nottingham (England) the other day, and was suprised to see a unit was being used by something called the Bible Learning Centre

In passing, it looked quite well done and as you might expect from a Christian bookshop or the Bible Society. However, it turns out to be an outreach effort from the local Christadelphians.

I thought it was quite an interesting thing to do - as I didn't realise the Christadelphians did that kind of thing. Anyone able to educate me on all things Christadelphian?

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they can. Apparently they've got this place in Nottingham called the Bible Learning Centre. [Smile]
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The odd thing is that a quick look did not shout 'Christadelphian' to me.

I wonder how successful these things are.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
The odd thing is that a quick look did not shout 'Christadelphian' to me.

I wonder how successful these things are.

IME, most sects and cults tend to play down their organisational identity until they've secured sufficient interest in their victims.
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Mmm. Of course defining 'sect and cult' is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

I suppose I'm mostly interested in that the shop appears to be pitched at Christians.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go. From the link in your OP.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah! I've seen one of these outlets in Solihull shopping centre. The Christadelphians are obviously developing this kind of presence as new way of doing evangelism.

I don't know much about the Christadelphians, but they were founded in the West Midlands, and they have quite a few churches in a small area not very far from where I live. I don't think I've ever seen one of their churches in any other part of England, but I'm sure there are some.

I once studied on a course where the Oxbridge-educated university tutor and a fellow student from Columbia realised that they were both Christadelphians, and were both originally from the West Midlands. Within a few minutes' chat they realised they had other Christadelphian friends in common. It's a small world - especially for them!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Prudential Center Mall in Boston has a Roman Catholic chapel in it, run by some Order or other. I was astonished to see it the first time I went to the mall, but it puts on non-stop masses every single day and they are always packed.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These Franciscans got some press as well, though I'm not sure if it was limited to the "shopping season."
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Mmm. Of course defining 'sect and cult' is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

I suppose I'm mostly interested in that the shop appears to be pitched at Christians.

By that reasoning defining anything is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

My sense is that they are pitching at Christians because the hardest part of the job has already been done.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:

My sense is that they are pitching at Christians because the hardest part of the job has already been done.

It's hard to imagine how it could be otherwise. Many non-religious people simply won't be interested in going into a shop-like place that looks vaguely Christian. But such people would also grumble if there were no religious material material on display at all, and they were drawn in by more devious methods such as free cake or pretty girls.

My curiosity centres on how the Christadelphians can afford to run such places.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

It's hard to imagine how it could be otherwise. Many non-religious people simply won't be interested in going into a shop-like place that looks vaguely Christian. But such people would also grumble if there were no religious material material on display at all, and they were drawn in by more devious methods such as free cake or pretty girls.

How dare you! There's nothing even remotely cultish about free cake. Free cake has been the modus operandi of the Anglican church for decades, perhaps centuries. Shame on you.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
West Edmonton Mall, probably the tackiest place in Canada, has a Christian chapel on the premises.

I think the main purpose of this place is to perform weddings for people who think it would be really romatic to get married in a big mall.

Their standing as a legitimate Christian church seems a little sketchy to me, but they do at least quote the Bible here and there. If anyone has the time and inclination to watch a few of their videos(they are pretty short), I'd be interested to know what you think.

[ 01. January 2014, 15:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
How dare you! There's nothing even remotely cultish about free cake. Free cake has been the modus operandi of the Anglican church for decades, perhaps centuries. Shame on you.

Did you forget to put a smiley in there, or are you truly and deeply offended??

I'm not CofE, although I am a churchy lady who utterly understands the importance of free churchy cake. But when it's handed out by Christians in a context where the 'religious' aspect is deliberately toned down, then it might be viewed as a little suspect by some people.

Or they might just eat the cake, say thanks, and go away as indifferent as before.

I've never tried Christadelphian cake, although a Christadelphian offered me a bottle of water once. I refused it.
[Biased]

[fixed code]

[ 02. January 2014, 19:10: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christadelphians are very similar to early JWs, during the presidency of Russell, and if it wasn't for the small sect mentality of both, they would have joined forces. The only difference of any note is that the C's don't believe in a personal Satan.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

How dare you! There's nothing even remotely cultish about pretty girls. Pretty girls has been the modus operandi of the Mennonites for decades, perhaps centuries. Shame on you.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Og

Ha! I'm told that pretty girls were once the reason why a lot of young men ended up in the church. However, I was born too late and raised in the wrong denomination in the wrong place for that process to be much in evidence to me.

I don't know how well the Christadelphians are doing with the recruiting and retention of young people, but the sweet, geeky young man they had manning their stall at our street fair last year said many of them were drawn from the local uni and stayed on in the area and the church after graduating.

The only local crowd of young Christians I know of outside uni circles are Baptists. They now have a critical mass to be able to attract other young people to their church, and I'm sure their presence at local carnivals helps.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah! I've seen one of these outlets in Solihull shopping centre. The Christadelphians are obviously developing this kind of presence as new way of doing evangelism.

I don't know much about the Christadelphians, but they were founded in the West Midlands, and they have quite a few churches in a small area not very far from where I live. I don't think I've ever seen one of their churches in any other part of England, but I'm sure there are some.

I once studied on a course where the Oxbridge-educated university tutor and a fellow student from Columbia realised that they were both Christadelphians, and were both originally from the West Midlands. Within a few minutes' chat they realised they had other Christadelphian friends in common. It's a small world - especially for them!

I have seen one of their churches in west Wales - so not too far away from the W Mids. I know there's a few in Coventry. Looks like they're all over the world, from a quick google.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Indeed. There is one just along the road from the Old Catholic place we were discussing on another thread last year.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Christadelphian place near my parents. During this year's Christmas family visit to the home turf I noticed adverts for a Christian toddler group - which was being started by them.

It is the first time I have ever heard of or come across any form of community outreach from them other than the invite to this week's Bible talk with topic listed on one of those rolling red letter message things in the window.

Is this a recent development into more public outreach???

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
quote:

Indeed. There is one just along the road from the Old Catholic place we were discussing on another thread last year.
That's right. They also have an office not very far from there. I think it's where their publishing arm is based.

South Birmingham is definitely an important area for them.

que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was walking through a shopping centre in ...

Bristol and you can find John Wesley's Chapel. Go into the oldest Methodist building in the world, escape all the shoppers, check out the second-hand books, sit, pray, enjoy the room, whatever. Outside they rush from M&S to Harvey Nicks, and all the others. Inside it's just quiet.

They don't seem to be 'pitching' at anyone. Mind you it's always nearly deserted. Just a couple of elderly volunteers chatting quietly and companionably.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016