homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The ethics of Vegetarianism (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The ethics of Vegetarianism
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
And yet the game fisherman knows much better than the kid eating fish sticks that the fish he is eating was once a living creature. Speaking as someone who has spent many hours chasing trout, I can tell you that being out in nature, trying to cast the lour or fly just right, being quiet for hours, and if you are lucky, reeling in a fish, gives you a respect for the fish

Yeah, those are arguments for torturing the creature before eating it.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
And yet the game fisherman knows much better than the kid eating fish sticks that the fish he is eating was once a living creature. Speaking as someone who has spent many hours chasing trout, I can tell you that being out in nature, trying to cast the lour or fly just right, being quiet for hours, and if you are lucky, reeling in a fish, gives you a respect for the fish

Is there a better way of catching fish for food?
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raise them in 2 acre ponds feed lot style with 50,000 other fish, fatten them up with grain, send an electric shock through the pond, and then filet them and fry them up so that you don't ever have to acknowledge that you are eating what used to be a living creature.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
But it denies how humans work.
Huh?

I don't really see the difference between what you are proposing and what I am proposing.

You are saying some might stop eating meat if they were part of the experience. I am saying that I disagree.
We both are saying people should have more connection to the process of food production.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am remembering CS Lewis' discussion of the gluttony of delicacy just now, where eating 'just so' and preaching about it are the core of the sin.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No prophet: It's a form of overscrupulosity...inventing legalisms. (Martin Luther once quipped how odd it was for the Church to keep inventing new commandments when no one could even keep the original ten.) There's a fine line between following one's conscience in eating in a way one feels is the most healthy, ethical and/or humane -- whether that's going vegan or eating primarily local foods or whatever -- and starting to make that a point of pride and occasion to separate oneself from the rest of society: "Look at me, not torturing animals and polluting the environment like those other people over there."

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
quote:

No-one is going to blame people in developing countries (or for that matter in the first century Palestine of the NT)who need to catch fish in order to survive, but at least they catch, kill and eat them without unnecessarily tormenting them for as long as possible in the name of "sport".
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
quote:

No-one is going to blame people in developing countries (or for that matter in the first century Palestine of the NT)who need to catch fish in order to survive, but at least they catch, kill and eat them without unnecessarily tormenting them for as long as possible in the name of "sport".
While I broadly agree with you, Kaplan, and am glad that someone brought up the 'fish issue', as I think of it - really, both sport fishing and fishing for food by private individuals are a total side issue. Fish caught as part of commercial fishery are either crushed or suffocated to death, in truly staggering numbers. And then there's the bycatch. And the environmental degradation. And the forced labour issue. And I ate a can of tuna at lunch today, actually. I note that it did say on the can that it was dolphin friendly - I suppose the idea is that because they are intelligent, and mammals, I will care a lot more about what happens to them than to tuna. In which case I would like to be able to buy cans of tuna which assure me that no Filipino or Korean fishermen were indentured or injured in the production of my tuna...

...the problem with ethical problems is that there is literally no end to them...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much like many who convert to religion, when my son turned veggie (aged 16) he was evangelical about it - trying to convert all and sundry and trying to make them feel guilty.

Now, ten years later, he's far less worried about what other people eat but remains a keen environmentalist and vegetarian. When he comes to stay we eat veggie, just because it's easier. He teaches us lots of new and interesting recipes.

[ 04. January 2014, 08:02: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me the thing about fish isn't so much the torture of the animal, but the overfishing industrial complexes that float on the seas.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
quote:
Yes, that seems fair - but - if you insist on ethical meat, I'd expect you to insist on ethical animal products also (including leather).

--------------------
The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection, except from them veggies of course - George Orwell

There is a difference between perfection and the blindingly obvious. If you don't want animals raised and killed for you, don't intentionally buy the stuff made from them. If you are going to use everything but the meat, why bother, the animal is just as dead (and was just as maltreated). Perfectionism would be treating it like a peanut allergy.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you don't want animals raised and killed for you, don't intentionally buy the stuff made from them.
But if it is more practical to avoid eating animal products rather than it is to avoid wearing them, some people might decide that an acceptable, if imperfect option for them would be to give up the steaks and bacon butties but to carry on wearing leather shoes. And it would make fuck all of a difference to the self appointed ethics police, many of whom don't care where their food or shoes come from anyway.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Much like many who convert to religion, when my son turned veggie (aged 16) he was evangelical about it - trying to convert all and sundry and trying to make them feel guilty.

I have a friend who was turned veggie in college by a meat-eating evangelist. Said meat-eater frequently espoused the view that if you ate meat, you should be happy to butcher your own, and by extension not squeamish about things like farmers shooting pests. (I think said meat-eater began the discussion by trying to claim that meat-eaters who opposed fox-hunting were hypocrites.)

My friend thought it over, decided that he agreed, and so stopped eating meat.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016