homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Love what you do, do what you love..? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Love what you do, do what you love..?
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
I was going to say before that there is a contradiction, given that most jobs want people to say in an interview that the job means more to them than just the money. ...

IME as an interviewer and an interviewee, the purpose of the interview is to find out if a candidate will be reliable, easy to get along with, and competent; will s/he take initiative, accept responsibility, and use good judgment; will s/he learn from mistakes and accept criticism, and so forth and so on. A successful candidate will provide specific examples of the foregoing and convince the interviewers that they have and will continue to do those things.

If an employer hires someone because they love the job, what happens if the employee falls out of love? If someone is hired because the job means so much to them, what happens when they discover another deeply meaningful activity? Obviously, any of us will be happier in a job that aligns with our personal values or preferences, but employers want to know that they can trust an employee to do her/his best work even when s/he doesn't agree or get everything s/he wants.

quote:
I'm not very good at lying. Which probably explains why I'm not good in most formal interview situations.
Yeah, well, as I've just pointed out above, it's not necessary to lie in an interview, unless you intend to be late every day and only work with colleagues you like.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It hugely depends on what drives you. We broadly speaking have three groups of people within my department.
  • There are the careerists. These are by far the most numerous and their aim is to climb up the corporate ladder and get the best pay and conditions they can. They are good at fitting in and getting things done in an efficient manner.
  • Then there are a jobbers. They work at the job to pay the bills but their real life is elsewhere. They often work part time and below the level they are qualified for, but what they want is a reliable income and the ability to not think of work when they are not there.
  • Finally we have the geeks. They have sought employment in a role because it gives them the opportunity to do what they love. They will work long hours because they love working. However, they do not want to higher wage, the better position if that means giving up doing what they like doing.

It is fairly easy to work out what motivates a careerist or a jobber. It is quite often hard to work out what motivates a geek, because you have to know what aspect of their job they "love". It may be the mastery of the technical aspects, it might be the finding of novel solutions, it might be curiosity and it might be simply helping others.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
There are the careerists. These are by far the most numerous and their aim is to climb up the corporate ladder and get the best pay and conditions they can. They are good at fitting in and getting things done in an efficient manner.

I don't know how you get the last sentence from the others! Some ladder-climbers are only good at 'fitting in' with those they think can give them up a boost up the ladder. If you're not beneficial to such a person's career, you're of no interest.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Yeah, well, as I've just pointed out above, it's not necessary to lie in an interview, unless you intend to be late every day and only work with colleagues you like.

The last job interview I had I told them that I would not choose that kind of work, but due to an accident I could no longer do work where much of the time I'd be on my feet, so now I was looking for office work. Despite no experience in that sector I got the job ahead of applicants who had experience.

I think that the interviewers are used to hearing bullshit, and can spot it easily.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite simple, the place is run by careerist, they provide the management so set the tone. Actually as they are the only group interested in managing this is quite understanding. That is behaviour they understand and applaud.

Jengie

[ 19. January 2014, 09:59: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its about economic necessity

I was lucky, I got a job that I have enjoyed and which has paid well but I cannot say I decided to do what I love. In my generation it was all important to jet a job, leave home and become independent. There was no real option - economic necessity - and you went for jobs where you could support yourself and family.

I my children's generation many huge numbers seem to be pursuing what they love but many still living at home in their 20s and even 30s. I suspect there are many reasons for this including:

The jobs our generation went into no longer exist, especially at entry level
It feels better to be poor, partially employed, living at home trying to do something you love that trying and failing to get any job.
Parents are beer able to subsidise and in many cases houses are bigger.

So perhaps doing what you love only seems an economic luxury and the alternative is no longer there. If this is the result of global changes my real worry is for the grandchildren's generation whose parents will not be able to help out. But perhaps the grand -children will be forced to work and create the new wealth needed?

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking about this question a lot and find it difficult to answer from my own life experience , probably because I don't fit the *norm* .

Since leaving school aged eighteen with 9 O-levels and 3 A-levels I've never had a career . In hindsight I think it was possibly some sort of career phobia .
Nevertheless I've been fortunate enough in life to be doing work that gives me a kind of pleasure , though some may say it's masochistic pleasure .

This work has ranged from general farm work, (on small farms that have now largely disappeared ), long hours tractor-driving for contractors , a short spell running my own farm , (which turned out to be the least pleasurable) , digging graves, and now helping out making and fixing memorials .

In the midst of most working days it's impossible to say if I love or loathe work , approaching my mid 50s it might tend towards the latter, (certainly on cold wet mornings anyway).
In retrospect though I'd say some of my happiest times have been clearing out farm slurry pits or digging holes . The power of job-satisfaction is not to be under estimated .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016