homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lying to the Police

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lying to the Police
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, sadly. we have a case where it appears the police were lied to about the disappearance of a youngster, where the liar already knew the fate of said individual . Why are we seeing this phenomenon repeated over and over these days ?

I watched an interesting documentary recently about past criminals who have lied through their teeth at interviews . Re-watching the film with modern lie detection techniques ,(body movements and tiny facial muscle twitches), reveals that the person in question is lying .

So why do some folks still think they can get away with it, and in doing dupe the whole country into carrying out futile searches .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea for the case in question, but in my experience it often takes the people who commit such crimes some time to really admit to themselves the truth of what they have done, let alone anyone else.

Of course the victim and the rest of the family are the worst off in cases like this and the perpetrator is the one responsible; they have to take the consequences.

But whatever might have led the perpetrator to kill, maim or torture another human being, unless they are a complete psychopath, they usually see themselves, just as most of us do, as ordinary decent folk by their own lights, and often find it very hard to believe it was actually them that did it. I know several people in this situation. [Votive]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing new here. The police are past masters at this. They have seen and heard it ALL. She was the prime suspect the moment she made the phone call or soon enough: a three year old disappearing from a secure building at night? As Eutychus said, we are all capable of mind boggling rationalization, denial, self-deceit. We fool no one.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An infamous case around my way when I was growing up: a woman disappears on her way back to work, distraught husband appears on camera to appeal for her to come back, massive manhunt, body is found... and the husband is arrested, charged and later convicted of her murder.

And the police were, covertly, all over him like a rash from the moment he reported her missing. In the majority of missing persons, it's not due to the criminal behaviour of the partner/parent. But sometimes it is, and it's what the police have to rule out first.

Lying about it isn't (necessarily) due to self-delusion. It's about providing a different, plausable narrative which fits the facts. Missing wife? She's not buried in a shallow grave in the woods, she's been having an affair and has run off.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do people lie to the police about committing crimes? So they won't get found out of course.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Why do people lie to the police about committing crimes? So they won't get found out of course.

Yes, it's as simple as that. And I think anyone is prone to try and wriggle out of it if they can. The whole miserable Chris Huhne saga, which ended up with both Huhne and his wife Vicky Pryce serving time, started with him refusing to admit to having incurred 3 speeding points because it would result in a ban.

When someone apparently disappears, I think the close relatives are always prime suspects. But if the police aren't sure enough to make an arrest, they can't discount the possibility that the disappeared person is still alive. Also, while the public turned out to search for the little boy in the hope he would be found alive, I'm sure they knew they were also looking for evidence to find out what had happened to him if he had come to harm.

[ 19. January 2014, 15:18: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, how long did it take the Boston police to realize that Charles 'Chuck' Stuart was lying about the murder of his wife? They certainly weren't 'all over him' from the beginning.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes they realy do think they are clever enoug to get away with it..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Sometimes they realy do think they are clever enough to get away with it..

Indeed so . This was one of the things that came across on the TV programme .

One of the 'lie indicators' was in fact a pleasure response shown by slight muscle movements around the eye socket . A guy who'd hired a hit-man to kill his wife spent a year cleverly lying about it. He could be seen to show the classic twitch response as the enjoyment of thinking he was out-smarting everyone couldn't be hidden.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Again, sadly. we have a case where it appears the police were lied to about the disappearance of a youngster, where the liar already knew the fate of said individual . Why are we seeing this phenomenon repeated over and over these days ? ...

Forgive my asking, but why is this so shocking, or for that matter, surprising? Weighed against killing one's child, lying to the police about it strikes me as a much less serious offence. Does it somehow make murder more OK if the person fesses up to it?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes I think people simply cannot accept what they have done, and so 'lie' ... There is a limit to what truth, at times, we can bear.

So sad.

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:

But why talk to the police in the first place? In this case, she did not have to report the boy missing. If anybody asked about him, she could have said he was staying with relatives while his sister was ill or something.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey mods, is it really OK to discuss an ongoing case like this? It just seems weird to me, just after somebody has been arrested, to start claiming that anybody did anything.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

The bare facts of the case, and they are the bare facts, are in the public domain, so I think they are fair game for some limited discussion.

The main question in the OP, however, is a general one:
quote:
Why are we seeing this phenomenon repeated over and over these days ?
and it seems to be generating plenty of general discussion.

Speculating about the specifics of this case or others not yet brought to court probably isn't a good idea (and indeed I made it clear that I wasn't doing this in my own response to the OP, despite the fact that I know people who on the face of what we know, have done precisely what this woman is accused of) but there is plenty to discuss without doing that.

I hope that makes sense and provides a general heads-up to contributors. Thanks for asking; if you have any more questions about moderation or lack of it, please take them to the Styx.

/hosting

[ 19. January 2014, 16:49: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. It's just that we don't know that anyone did lie to the police. Anyway, I'd better not say any more, to avoid being a hypocrite!

[ 19. January 2014, 16:51: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny how there's nothing about the police lying here - they frequently do. In the UK it's not as bad, but certainly in the US, the police are firmly on the side of the powerful and I don't blame minorities for lying to them. If you're a black trans woman, for example, the police are not on your side and you have to cope with that. Cf Cece McDonald.

Obviously, lying about where someone is when they've disappeared is wrong.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

In France, there is an offence of obstructing the course of justice, but not one of perjury. There's some food for thought.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

But we don't know that that happened. FFS, enough with the speculation already.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
On the other hand, how long did it take the Boston police to realize that Charles 'Chuck' Stuart was lying about the murder of his wife? They certainly weren't 'all over him' from the beginning.

They weren't, because they thought his severe gunshot wound was not likely to have been self-inflicted. They learned otherwise when his brother went to the police about 2 months later. (See Wikipedia article.)
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
q, we all know what happened, all that's left is the testing of forensic evidence for a legal verdict. The poor woman's redemption in this life is another story.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
In France, there is an offence of obstructing the course of justice, but not one of perjury. There's some food for thought.

Yes, that is an interesting thought. Thanks for contributing it.
[Smile]

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When it comes to traffic offences, people lie to the police more often than not. Lord Chief Justice Hewart was once quoted as saying (back in the early 1960s I believe) that in many traffic cases the court's job is "to decide how two cars stationary on opposite sides of the road came into collision with one another".

No change in the last 50 years, then.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Sometimes they realy do think they are clever enoug to get away with it..

Sometimes they are.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'd say never. And I never say never. Plod ain't called that for nothing. But do NOT pop up on their radar. They are elephantine in their memory, slow, dogged and a hundred ordinary cops vs. a genius like the Unabomber or Son of Sam is like letting a hundred mindless bots that can communicate vs. one general purpose robot with a Cray processor hunt for a shadow on a playground. The bots win frighteningly fast. PPP. Proper Police Procedure. People get away with murder because they keep it simple (which includes do it ONCE), so simple that half of all murders are never detected (yeah, yeah, anecdotal, but I only ever quote from two sources, three historically: New Scientist, the BBC and the Daily Telegraph - no longer) and half of the rest can't get convicted. But everybody KNOWS. Even after you eliminate non-broad sheet newspaper dross.

--------------------
Love wins

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
q, we all know what happened, all that's left is the testing of forensic evidence for a legal verdict.

No we don't. You never do. The "we all know" attitude is how travesties of justice happen.

I know people who have admitted (to me) the grisliest of cases. I know people who may admit some degree of responsibility, have explained to me just how it went down, and it is not what you will read in the press or the court ruling (especially in a country where confession in police custody - and don't believe you would never confess - is pivotal in the criminal justice process and the standard for a jury is not "beyond reasonable doubt" but each person's "intimate conviction").

And I know people who as far as I can judge, in circumstances not far removed from what we know about the situation lying behind the OP, have been locked up for decades without due cause.

On the basis of people I know, I could also construct a scenario on the basis of this case which would probably have most of you, should the accused be found guilty, screaming at the miscarriage of justice. I've decided not to because even by the Ship's standards, it would probably be far too disturbing for too many people.

Untimely death is horrible. It is an outworking of the human condition we all share. It's more horrible than most of us realise. Let's go about this subject with fear and trembling.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Eutychus. We might all know, but we STILL don't convict. And we certainly DON'T know, and we do convict.

Believe me. Funny things juries.

And this I do know, NOTHING - THE truth - is like it is in the newspapers or any media or any courtroom.

[ 19. January 2014, 18:22: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Forgive my asking, but why is this so shocking, or for that matter, surprising? Weighed against killing one's child, lying to the police about it strikes me as a much less serious offence. Does it somehow make murder more OK if the person fesses up to it?

OK, the hosts don't want the case of the 3 yr old discussed . So take the Ian Huntley case for example . I suppose people such as myself get a bit angered over the way that bloke made out he wanted to help with the enquiry, then consistently lied until such a point as he couldn't escape the facts.

Then at the trial he seemed to want to insult everyone's intelligence with ridiculous accounts of how his victims must have drowned accidentally.
OK , at the end of the day all this bull doesn't make a difference , he done the crime, he's doing the time .

Maybe it's just me but didn't there used to be something called remorse .

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Maybe it's just me but didn't there used to be something called remorse.

Yes, they just don't write novels and melodramas like they used to. Sadly, murdering small children with callous indifference is nothing new.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Who said anything about callous indifference? That's tabloid mind reading.

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The public is not alone in lying. The police do it too. If you have a look about the Reid Technique (summaries available online via internet search) you will find details about social engineering and deception used by the police. Deception, lying and other manipulations by them and prosecutors have been implicated in false convictions. Entrapment is another problem which has been allowed by courts here.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
q, we all know what happened, all that's left is the testing of forensic evidence for a legal verdict.

No we don't. You never do. The "we all know" attitude is how travesties of justice happen.

Indeed, just take a look at Lindy Chamberlain. Back in 1980, 'we all knew' that dingoes didn't attack children and so the mother must have done it. Plus she didn't look upset enough on television.

It took a very, very long time for the Australian justice system to undo the consequences of what everybody 'knew'.

[ 20. January 2014, 00:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teenager murdered by police for being mentally ill. Or, why lying to the police about mental illness seems like it would save your life.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:

Indeed, just take a look at Lindy Chamberlain. Back in 1980, 'we all knew' that dingoes didn't attack children and so the mother must have done it. Plus she didn't look upset enough on television.

It took a very, very long time for the Australian justice system to undo the consequences of what everybody 'knew'.

Yes, 'we all know what happened' is a dangerous concept. It actually subverts justice, which sets out to find out what happened, via a trial. It can also lead to vigilantism and persecution - think of all the people whom the tabloids fingered, because they knew they were guilty. Beware if you are a bit eccentric, and you are caught up in a case, as people will 'know' that you did it.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I get where Martin is coming from, in the end the stats don't lie, it is nearly always someone very close. It is just crazy to suggest (and Martin is not suggesting this) that the police always get it right. Here are two instances where they actively got it wrong leading to a life nearly ruined and a death:

C Jeferries

B Ebrahimi

Both relatively recently, both in Bristol.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, every single instance of something like this happening should be carefully investigated.

Police charging someone does not mean they are guilty or that there is enough information to convict in a proper court of law. The public and press should hold off judging people before the full investigation has been completed.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

There was an interesting case near me a few years ago, where a guy shot dead a burglar, who was climbing out of a window.

To most of my neighbours, and part of the press, he was a hero, and the burglar had it coming. But to some he was a murderer, and eventually he was convicted of that.

But there was a twist in the tail - he appealed on grounds of diminished responsibility (personality disorder) and this was accepted, and it was reduced to manslaughter.

So there were 3 versions of what happened, and which one you picked depended less on factual stuff than on one's sympathies.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016