homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happiness

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happiness
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"God wants you happy and fulfilled."

Is this true? I'm not exactly sure if this is necessarily correct.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To add my opinion to start:

If we understand fulfillment in terms of aligning our will with the will of God for the increase of the Kingdom of God, I could see that. True happiness, AKA the Beatific Vision lies after death and/or the eschatological age when we behold God face to face and is lost in wonder, love and praise.

So yes, if happiness is defined to be the enjoyment of God forever in eternity, then we are made for this.

If however, we mean the momentary feelings of happiness on this earth, I'm not sure.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yes, it's true . . . but ask the questions "When?" and "Under what conditions?" and the whole thing starts to come unraveled. [Two face]

God wants you happy and fulfilled, yes; and in his view happiness means being what he created you to be, doing what he created you to do, in his love. The catch is, none of us are that yet. Certainly not in this earthly life with all of its flaws and failures and downright sin. And so the trek to being what he means us to be (and therefore being happy and fulfilled, yay) is necessarily going to be filled with a shedload of suffering and trouble. Bleah.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to your second--

Does my dentist want me to have painfree comfort? Certainly. But in his view the way to get there is (shudder) sometimes by drilling... My moment-to-moment comfort level may concern him a bit, but not so much that he's willing to let go of the ultimate objective. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course God does not want us to be 'happy' whatever that is. He wants us to be holy. Happiness may well come as a by-product of God's work in our lives, or as a result of serving others.

'Fulfilled' - tell that to the Christians who struggle to make a living in Africa or those who struggle to stay alive in conflicts or those who are living under repressive regimes, or those who have to take any job they can in order to support a family rather than the job of their dreams.

Happiness and fulfilment?? First world problems.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman wrote to C.S.Lewis: 'I have no fear of God, for I know he intends my good.' Lewis' response was, typically, 'Stupid woman! Hasn't she ever been to the dentist?'

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that it is important to connect the terms "happiness" and "love."

God desires our eternal welfare because He loves us.

God is love and love has three attributes:
  • 1. It seeks an object outside of itself to love.
  • 2. It seeks to be freely joined with what it loves.
  • 3. It seeks to make the one it loves happy.
God wants us to be happy because He is love itself and this is what love does.

Of course this means long-term, freely chosen happiness. As with the dentist this will often require short-term suffering.

So the purpose of creation is a heaven from the human race, where everyone is happy and joined with God of their own free will.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if Lewis made that comment before or after he lost his new-love to cancer ?
Understandably he had a major problem with God's intentions re. his personal happiness for a long while after that.

(cross-posted with Freddy)

[ 26. January 2014, 11:58: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

If however, we mean the momentary feelings of happiness on this earth, I'm not sure.

Yes, God wants us to be happy and fulfilled, but we often think this to mean individually rather than corporately, and it surely means both. As long as we continue to hurt each other, or fail to share with each other, we will receive only glimpses of the happiness and fulfilment that God offers.

Meanwhile, we may spend our lives pursuing them for ourselves as individuals, and miss out on the joy, peace, love and other gifts of the Holy Spirit that are received as we follow Christ.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016