homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crafty Folk aye canny (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crafty Folk aye canny
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A discussion space for those of you who love to make things.

Ariel
Heaven Host

[ 06. January 2014, 10:50: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the new thread [Smile]
Does anyone have any crafty goals for the new year?
I'd like to sew something every week and reduce that fabric mountain in my sewing room. Perhaps tidying said room might also be helpful.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really - 'tho I'd like one. Any ideas?

But my son has taken up knitting!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having treated myself to a real kiln in December I am excited about the 3 day 'next step' course in fused glass that is this year's holiday and is coming up at the end of Jan.

I have neither the patience or the time for the slow crafts so this one really suits me as I pop my experiment into the kiln and either go out to work or off to bed (depending on the time of day) then get to peep in when all it done and the magical melting has happened.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which kiln did you get?

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I opened this thread an hour or so ago and immediately went off and made earrings and a necklace using some desperately cute little owl beads I bought ages ago.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I opened this thread an hour or so ago and immediately went off and made earrings and a necklace using some desperately cute little owl beads I bought ages ago.

Good work [Smile]
I need a new sewing machine, mine's been heavily overworked and my other half appears to have killed the bobbin carriage off while repairing a marquee. I made a dress yesterday and it took as long to finish the hem on my ordinary machine as it did to sew the whole of the rest of the dress on my over locker. I want to make some items for my shop but the machine is hopeless as it is.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should like to spend more time weaving in 2013...

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Which kiln did you get?

It is a Skutt Firebox with preset tack fuse and slump programmes at this stage but will allow me to set my own when I decide to try and be too clever for my own good later [Yipee]

It was delivered on a pallet and the lorry wasn't really designed for cul de sacs!!

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My goals are to spend more time actually doing things - dressmaking, knitting, embroidery, quilting.

I would love to learn calligraphy. I've found some lessons, but it requires so much time and patience so I don't know how I will get on with that.

I need to sort out and declutter my dressmaking patterns and fabrics. I made some progress with this last year. Now I am bogged down trying to decide what to do with the stuff I am never going to make.

I am very reluctant to get rid of them as I know that as soon as I do I will have a use for them. Also it is such a waste of money. I know, the money is already wasted, but don't confuse me with rational thinking.

I thought of trying to sell them on ebay but it is too much hassle to be worth it. Maybe a car boot sale will work.

I think I have just convinced myself to leave them alone for the time being and stop feeling guilty about it.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a discount shop I bought a packet of 12 coloured luggage labels, just because they were 99p. I have decided to create an ATC/label on the first day of every month. I have bought so much crafty stuff - including stamps - that I need to try to use it up. I am not planning on trading them, but just keeping them in my "SMASH" book.

This SMASH book is a new thing too - it's a form of journalling/scrapbooking which is less concerned with everything being perfect, but that things are just "smashed" into the book. I am using a Travel Journal that we were given once. It has pockets in it and pages of different colours, where one was supposed to write travel notes etc. I've decided to use it as a SMASH journal - although I can't let go and not care about how it looks, I'm trying to be a bit free-er.

I'm going to blog about my ATC in the near future, but you can see some of my SMASH journal pages based around Christmas songs on the blog 1 linked to in my sig.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been making cards for a while and usually remember to take photos of them before I send them. A couple of people at work asked to see photos, so I decided that I could start a blog - not easy for me as I find it difficult to write about my own stuff.

I want to try to get at least one card made a week so I'm not fighting to get cards finished at the last minute - I know birthdays come round at the same time each year but, even giving myself a good three weeks warning, I still find myself leaving it until the last minute. I really must make sure I'm ready in time to use second class stamps!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really want to learn to sew (as in dressmaking) and crochet. I need to do more knitting too. I would like to start doing embroidery.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
crocheting.......it took a while to work out that there are 2 different ways of doing this stuff!but having finally decided on the Oz/UK method, it's been plain sailing for the past few days

now, where to start with making a Small Person Garment?

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just finished a plimsoll bag for my grandson to use at nursery school where he starts in two weeks.

I made it out of a sturdy denim type fabric and embroidered it with his name and a picture of a dinosaur using the waste canvas method

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

The plimsoll bag sounds lovely [Smile]
I've been looking at new sewing machines. Whilst I am completely in love with the Singer limited edition anniversary one in black and gold, my head has got the better of me and I am buying a far more practical but aesthetically dire heavy duty one. My other half is picking it up later in the week.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather fancy John Lewis cheap and cheerful just for the colours.

But my Big Important Birthday present a couple of years ago was a high end Bernina, which I don't use that much. Mainly because I can't find the patterns for the kind of clothes I want to make. Anyone know of patterns for a particular kind of loose, simple-cut (well, the kind of cut that looks simple at any rate) rather Boho style, let me know. Mostly I use Vogue, but they tend to be a bit too tailored, and when they say 'Very Easy', they're not.

[ 02. January 2013, 08:37: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze - have you come across Folkwear Patterns

Have a look through the range and if there are any you fancy PM me, because I have a stash of unused ones that I will never make. In fact, if you are interested let me know and I will pm you a list of mine so you can choose.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

If Firenze isn't interested, I would be, I already have some of their patterns [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

[Big Grin] I'll be in touch!

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent yesterday evening happily lucetting while re-watching Lord of the Rings (I'm up to The Two Towers) in an attempt to finish the peg-loom rug I have planned. It involves a lucetted cord, plaiting the cords and then weaving them on the peg loom (which is the quickest bit - I've already done one, and it took me about a year, on and off).

I'm really here to ask for a bit of advice, though. The Stitch and Bitch group I belong to took a table at a local Christmas craft fair, and we all enjoyed it so much, and sold enough, that we all want to do it again. I'll be selling stick weaving kits, but I'm not sure what else I can provide for the table. I have limited crafting time, so I wondered if anyone had any ideas for something quick and easy?
I may possibly take my circular stencils along, and offer "Your Name in Circular Gallifreyan" for the kids (or the adults!).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
This SMASH book is a new thing too - it's a form of journalling/scrapbooking which is less concerned with everything being perfect, but that things are just "smashed" into the book.

Dormouse, it looks wonderful! It reminds me of some great advice my tutor gave me about using a sketchbook - she pointed me here. I love the idea of treating your sketchbook (or scrapbook) like an old friend you bounce ideas off in a pub. I'm trying to be free-er with my sketchbook in 2013 - one of my resolutions is to do a sketch a day in 2013. Even if I don't keep to it, and even if some are just doodles, it will get me drawing!

I'm still embroidering a friend's stole at the moment (over 70 hours so far...) but have taken on a few little projects. Here's a seahorse I designed and embroidered for a swap.

[ 02. January 2013, 13:47: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I used to do a lot of altered art but could never get into journaling as I couldn't let myself go enough on pages (not helped by having appalling handwriting).

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

That seahorse is beautiful [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping to continue my programme of using up yarn and fabric stashes to make nice things this year.

I have finished off quite a few long-running projects in the past few weeks, but I am hoping to be a bit more organised and kae more progress this year.

Also to not buy more yarn or fabric or craft materials unless I actually need them for a specific thing (eg buttons for a cardigan I have already made, not just one I *could* make)

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes indeed!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:

Yes indeed!
Thirded! Earwig/Sister Twisty, you are very talented [Smile] I do love your embroidered stole!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I love the idea of treating your sketchbook (or scrapbook) like an old friend you bounce ideas off in a pub. I'm trying to be free-er with my sketchbook in 2013 - one of my resolutions is to do a sketch a day in 2013.

I used to carry one around with me - a little mini one. It was great on long train journeys and over the course of months you do improve - I look back now in surprise at some of the things I did as I'd never have thought myself capable (though a surplus of awful stuff in there too). Go for it!

I love your seahorse - that's really pretty!

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earwig, I love your seahorse! The stitching is very beautiful and the colors are yummy!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
...I have decided to create an ATC/label on the first day of every month. ...I'm going to blog about my ATC in the near future...

Excuse me for being dense, but what is ATC?
[Confused]
(Google says it's Air Traffic Control!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think ATC stands for Artists Trading Card - they are usually about the size of a playing card, but after that there seems to be no limit to what you do with them
Here are some examples, but there are many, many more you can find if you google Artists Trading Cards. I am trying not to go over the top with lace and gubbins. I may try some paint effects later on, although I am a bit miserly and don't have many paints/inks to play with.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:

Yes indeed!
Thirded! Earwig/Sister Twisty, you are very talented [Smile] I do love your embroidered stole!
Thanks all! [Hot and Hormonal] [Smile] I'm going to show the stole to its owner today - I've finished the embroidery, and I want to see if she's happy with the design or if she wants me to add anything, before I make it up.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Dormouse -- I'm not sure I still totally understand, but at least I know they have nothing to do with landing airplanes.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have taken up patchwork/quilting and joined a local group. Had my first session before Christmas and made a Christmas wall hanging. Now waiting for the next session to find ideas for the coming year. My hubby kindly bought me a cutting board and rotary cutter for Christmas [Smile]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Jante:
Have taken up patchwork/quilting and joined a local group. Had my first session before Christmas and made a Christmas wall hanging. Now waiting for the next session to find ideas for the coming year. My hubby kindly bought me a cutting board and rotary cutter for Christmas [Smile]

I've just emailed the chair of our local quilting group to enquire about joining [Smile]

[ 03. January 2013, 18:05: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jante and Heavenly Anarchist, that sounds very exciting!
Patchwork looks fantastic, but very complex/fiddly to do. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

New sewing machine was picked up last night and promptly returned this morning as some of the feet were missing. All sorted now though and I have a new toy to play with.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be looking for a new sewing machine, since I gave my machine of many useful years to my son-in-law for Christmas. (Who would have guessed?)

I need something simple (and inexpensive) for a replacement. If anyone has a recommendation, I will be all ears. Or eyes.

BTW, it was D-U who originally borrowed my old machine, and dear s-i-l immediately took it over to make medieval weapons and costumes for a re-enactment game he plays. He now has a little cottage industry going, making those items for other folks. The best thing is that they eventually wear out, and he gets to make more items for his customers to buy! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you use it for? Heavy duty sewing with thick materials? Simple mending? Embroidery?

If I were in your position I'd make a list of needs and wishes and take it with you.

I have a Husqvarna nearly twenty years old. Last year it needed service so I wondered about perhaps a new one. I looked at well known and recommended brands down here like Bernina and Janome. They looked cheap and nasty, lots of fragile plastic on them. Several sales people said it would be much better to have solid metal Husqvarna serviced than to get a new machine. Comparable quality was up around $2000 and service was nowhere near that. So look carefully, even at the way machine is made.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I agree, think about what you would actually use it for and then go and look at a few models. Don't get swayed by loads of stitches, I sew regularly and use very few stitches. Think about your current model's features, where the bobbin case is, etc.
Modern machines are certainly more plasticky, though sometimes this is external and the insides are good and solid. I think many people just get used to a brand, I know I buy Singers as they are familiar (I don't need to get to know my new model as everything is where I think it should be). But I don't think their bobbin mechanism is the best.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

jedijudy

# 333

Thanks Lothlorien and Heavenly Anarchist! Very sensible advice.

Over the last few years, most of my sewing has been straight stitching. Quilt bindings, mending and such. I don't think I'll have to make any more clothes like in years (many years) past.

I am concerned about cheap works inside. I don't suppose they're of the same quality as I had on the old machine. Not without spending a lot of money, at least.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't advise on brands as I see names of machines in USA which seem well known but are unknown to me down here.

Take your time. Ask friends. Look around. Perhaps search on a name and see if you can find a forum of owners or similar. You might find a criticism or recommendation on such sites which you would not have thought of at all.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Many years ago my mom and I were looking for a new sewing machine for me. We decided to go with a factory-reconditioned used machine, so that I could get a better, sturdier machine rather than pay the same or more for a brand new but flimsier one.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Took my new machine out for test run today and made dh a pair of slippers for his birthday tomorrow.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first crafty project of this year is to finish my half finished Makower butterflies quilt and give it to Kentish Maid's daughter for her birthday. I reckon I've got 4 weeks to do it, and will be getting the backing and binding tomorrow - orange and cream!

So far I've pieced almost all of the top and there's not much more I can do without the backing so am hoping for a trip to the large fabric shop in Shipley which I'm treating myself to tomorrow!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep having ideas for cross stitch designs I want to make, so I could really use some cross stitch design software that works and is not too expensive. I know there are loads of versions on the market but many of them look quite rubbish. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

I use My Photo Stitch which is free - you just upload a sketch or picture and it does it all for you!
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first project for 2013 is a contribution to a coleague's baby blanket. This is strangely intimidating as I have to produce 10cm squares that will fit with what others are producing and in yarn I didn't get to choose. So I'm looking out granny square variations - that way I can just keep adding rounds until my dimensions are right!

Second project is also planned and it's a simple mandala cardigan (this one) to use up a batch of yarn I picked up in the sales a few years ago. I may go for more solid sleeves lower down and am rather taken by the idea of sleeves that are actually long enough (a distinct downside of trying to buy knitwear as a tall person with a fairly small ribcage but broad shoulders).

And, of course, I have one or two other little thoughts in my head - mostly regarding knitting as both of those projects are crochet based. And maybe this will be the year that I actually make my jeans-and-T-shirts quilt.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'm in a bad mood, as my hand dermatitis has kicked in again - possibly because I have been knitting rather intensively. I have a sale batch of Debbie Bliss yarns which I've had a couple of unsuccessful goes at working into something, and finally found a format - mitred square waistcoat - which promised well.

Keen to dispose of it since I have a much more attractive cache of Rowan cotton in lovely shades of dark grey, cream, blue and russet bought in yet another sale, that I want to get to.

Very frustrating.

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I use My Photo Stitch which is free - you just upload a sketch or picture and it does it all for you!

That looks good and I'm sure I'll use it to some extent. However, most of what I'm looking at making consists of samplers with borders rather than pictures. I know that etsy shops are full of pdf cross stitch patterns that people must have used *something* to create. But thanks for this link - it's good to know about.
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016