homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crafty Folk aye canny (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crafty Folk aye canny
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done steeking but read various descriptions. As I recall the type of yarn is important as Penny S says. It is best (may even be a requirement for success) for it to be a natural fibre that felts itself quite easily.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made one of the Garn Studios crochet jackets with a variagated wool. I managed to get the sides matching by finding balls of wool which started with the same colour changes, and starting the sections I wanted to be identical with a new ball where necessary.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would work in one piece on circular or long needle, although steeking sounds interesting I think I would be too scared!

I have had a very crafty weekend - finishing up some baby garments I have been knitting (although they aren't going as well as hope discussed started making up and found my back was aninch longer than front for the cardigan, despite using a row counter to getthe same number or rows - clearly an error somewhere), and I have also been sewing a top for myself for work.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am now on the final stages of the Farm - there was a delay due to the kit not having enough gren for one of the fields. That field now has an extra cow in Channel Island colour, because I remember being told that Friesians didn't always have enough butter fat in their milk for the dairy.

Next I think I am finishing a cardigan I am reknitting in a lovely space dyed yarn from a company called Colinette. I tried to find an image on line, but not only have they discontinued the yarn, but also the shade. I saw the cardi in a Scope shop, and fell for it, because it looked like my mothers' flower garden, multiple greens with pinks like different rock roses. I wore it once, and decided it needed a welt - but as I looked in the mirror I spotted that there was a great blob of pink just where I wouldn't want a great blob on the front. The original knitter hadn't followed instructions and used two strands to break up colour blocking. So I unpicked it, and researched on line to find the yarn, a very tricky job (they were still doing it at the time) so I could order extra in case of problems. I have reknitted the body (circular needles, no steeking as the pattern of dyes is very short and very mixed, so the shorter length of section at the front doesn't matter) and am now going down the sleeves - but working without a pattern it has been hard to get the shaping right. The yarn, a bobbly textured one, hasn't taken kindly to reknitting. I was hoping to get away with using the original sleeves, but they didn't fit the body any more. I'm knitting down, both sleeves at once so they match, two strands on each sleeve, and will stop when I run out of yarn, adding the missing welt in a plain yarn which picks up one of the colours. Then I decide whether to add pockets to the slots I have left in the fronts, or just sew them up, and add the buttons. I bought nicer ones than the originals. Only a little way to go, but I ran out of enthusiasm.

[ 30. September 2013, 09:47: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just about to reboot my kiln which has been very much neglected. It's only a little hobby one so I made a coaster last night to bake today. Now I'm going to practice my cutting of circles from glass to make a soap dish.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds a mammoth project Penny s. Would love to see pictures when it is done :-)

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
That sounds a mammoth project Penny s. Would love to see pictures when it is done :-)

I'll have to remember how to use Flickr!
I've been somewhere else for a bit, and that has reminded me I also have a hooked rag rug of dyed stockings I started 40 years ago. Like the cardi, it had a glitch, and I lost enthusiasm, but I must fish it out and finish it. (I did finish the crocheted bath mat of the same material.)

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone tell me the difference between a closed-end zip and an open-end zip? I need to replace the zip in my son's duffel coat, but when I look on Ebay I see the right length, but these two choices which mean nothing to me! The photographs don't seem to distinguish, or else I don't know where to look.

Thanks!

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Open ended open up completely and separates, closed ended stays together and does not separate. A jacket would require open ended. An open ended should show a retainer at the end, that box like thing that you connect the zipper sides with.

[ 03. October 2013, 09:27: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha! Thank you! Back to ebay I go...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to share this
Norway TV knitting

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
I have to share this
Norway TV knitting

Fantastic! Is it available for download?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ABC article suggested that it was, but all I could get was a picture, suggesting that perhaps it is restricted by country.

What amused me even more was that there is a whole thread on Ravelry dedicated to it!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How good is your Norwegian?

I think that is the page.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

Norwegian is non existent, but thanks to Google translate I gather the world record for knitting from sheep to garment was not broken.

Still wish I could have had a glimpse of it in action though!

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

What crafty things are people making for pressies?
This morning I'm making a lap quilt for my husband's grandmother, it's Sticks and Stones, just an easy mix of fence rail and plain blocks to create sort of crosses as I have very little time spare. I've cooked some trinket bowls with copper insertions of birds in the glass kiln for some female relatives and am about to make a small tree of life bowl for MIL. I might make some cuff links for my husband too.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I made some spicy, pickled cherries and today I have been busy with preserved lemons. Recipe for the cherries is on recipe thread. It's cherry season here and it will all be over shortly after Christmas.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

The cherries sound lovely, I'll go and look. You've reminded me I have some liqueurs to decant for presents, which will mean some rather alcoholic berries to use up!

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally finished the sleeved wrap I started in September, after knitting/frogging/reknitting one sleeve, running out of yarn (hurrah for e-Bay!) and realising my intarsia idea left me with a few million ends to sew in. I'm now launched on a much more straightforward cardigan, mainly designed to showcase some gorgeous but weepingly expensive yarn - Peruvian merino. I'm running a kilm-pattern stripe of it up the front on a main body of ordinary Aranweight wool.
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What with a house move and unexpected death in the family there has been no chance of crafting for christmas.

Next year....... [Biased] I fancy some little crocheted stars in a metallic/glitter yarn. Got the idea from the Attic24 blog.

Also a tablecloth. I like the idea of having a special christmas tablecloth.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone gave me a lot of star spangled red organza. This has now been made into see-through santa sacks and stockings. Busy making Christmas Party hats at the moment. I have recycled some tall glittery New Year's Eve cones into princess hats with the addition of some carefully placed ribbon, lace and old floaty scarves. Smaller red, green and gold Christmas cones have had wire and paste jewel coronets added to them. Bit of a royal theme happening. I am rather proud of the addition of a minecraft sword in mosaic to one hat for the one who is an addict of that game.
[Razz]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Nth go-round, I failed to resist the allure of letterpress printing, and Mr. Otter followed me down the rabbit hole, so we declared it Letterpress Christmas this year. I'm hoping to get some Christmas cards made to give as Christmas presents.

Here's a picture of the presses. The big one is mine, the little one is Mr. Otter's.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Otter, that link doesn't work for me ("500 internal server error").
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe a pond thing? It works for me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Not pond, I can see it too.
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Impressive machinery (and very envious of the workspace you have there!)

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twelve boxes of Christmas Chocolates are now ready for arranging delivery.

I am pleased with the way the stencils and the glitter medium have worked.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over in All Saints there's been a discussion about draught excluders - so a couple of links to patterns here:

huge pdf sample pages showing how to re-use scraps to make things - has sausage dog excluder from an old pair of trousers.
Various designs
You-tube instructions
Loads of others if you look

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Impressive machinery (and very envious of the workspace you have there!)

That space is one end of a fairly small bedroom. We'll see how well it works out in the longer term. [Big Grin]

This weekend I made a batch of cards (one design, two colors). The printing went fairly quickly, but setup involved lots of flailing about, mostly due to inexperience. I set up for another card last night, with a little less flailing.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have an odd problem. I bought a couple of embroidery kits at Oxfam, little posies of flowers, one with clover and one with primroses. One had been started, but with a couple of mistakes, and obviously the original owner had given up. The posies, in realistic colours, are on beige sateen cotton, and according to the illustration, intended to be mounted in frames as pictures. They are about eight inches wide and 5 top to bottom, and contained within a roughly oval imaginary outline
As I have been working, I have realised that I don't actually have anywhere they would fit in my house, and I'm not sure that there is a market for other people's embroidery work, should I give them back to Oxfam.
I'm wondering about another use for them. Currently, I've thought of panels on cushion covers, or on tote bags for craft projects, or a pyjama bag, but nothing seems entirely right. The days of tray cloths and table runners have really passed, I feel.
Any ideas?

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've used embroidery and cross stitch as panels on cushions and bags - I often use second hand embroidered doilies as pockets on little girls' dresses (and my own hippy ones!). I love using embroidery to make clutch bags!
And don't discount selling them, I buy embroidery from eBay. [Big Grin]

[ 18. December 2013, 16:39: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I might contact you when I've finished!

They are slightly large for clutch bags.

I've tried to find an image of the kits online, but no luck with that.

[ 18. December 2013, 17:37: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I often use second hand embroidered doilies as pockets on little girls' dresses (and my own hippy ones!).

It's possible we were separated at birth. I am an exponent of the Art of Coarse Patchwork when it comes to recycling interesting bits and pieces into skirts, dresses or jackets. Simple shapes, reasonably compatible fabric weights and grain going the same way, and you can get something, which if not exactly formal wear, is good summer/holiday/mooching about wear.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I often use second hand embroidered doilies as pockets on little girls' dresses (and my own hippy ones!).

It's possible we were separated at birth. I am an exponent of the Art of Coarse Patchwork when it comes to recycling interesting bits and pieces into skirts, dresses or jackets. Simple shapes, reasonably compatible fabric weights and grain going the same way, and you can get something, which if not exactly formal wear, is good summer/holiday/mooching about wear.
[Big Grin] I'm an avid clothing recycler, I started my sewing career with an online shop selling cloth nappies I made from recycled Laura Ashley dresses. At Greenbelt my stall used to sell refashioned clothing and we offered a 'cut up your t-shirt' service.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally posted photographs of a couple of my christmas crafts over at my tiny little blog, having failed miserably at remembering to take pictures of any other items. Both were well-received.

And last night I picked up a knitting project that had been abandoned for christmas knits and a baby blanket. Six rows later everything was all of a snarl and I realised that I had been missing out a key element. Got distressed and had to tear out those rows, but got them right and added another couple before Michael McIntyre finished his set.

As always, there are a number of projects on my wishlist, including some bolster covers for a daybed I inherited last year and a number of WIPs to finish. Good thing January's a quiet-ish month.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I got a lampworking kit for Christmas and last night I made my first, and very wonky, glass beads [Big Grin] I might make a bookmark from them so that I can measure my progress (though that is rather assuming my technique will improve!). I might even blog them tomorrow when I have a free day.
The kiln is on and cooking a tree picture to slump into a bowl. I need to get sewing now though, my youngest is supposed to be wearing Tudor clothes tomorrow and I have promised him a velvet hat and jacket made from recycled curtains.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016