homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cathedrals - starts 12 November, BBC4

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Cathedrals - starts 12 November, BBC4
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought some people might be interested in this series which starts tomorrow, looking at the lift of three English cathedrals.

(Edit to title)

[ 11. November 2013, 19:14: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the heads up, I shall up my device to record this series

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they particularly interesting lifts? Mirrors, pre-Raphaelite panels, that sort of thing? Or more medieval, with gargoyles that announce your floor in a mixture of sepulchral or squeaky tones? This could be a lot of fun.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure folk here will be interested in this new series on cathedrals, lifts or no lifts.)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are clearly designed to raise you to the heavenlies ... but will they succeed?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gah! I previewed and everything. [brick wall] [Waterworks]
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since tomorrow never comes, I've edited the title.

It looks, from the trailers, likely to be interesting. I'm just surprised, given it's BBC4, they haven't called it Cathedrals Britannica.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
19 minutes in. What a bore. A lot of posh blokes discussing mergers and money.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
19 minutes in. What a bore. A lot of posh blokes discussing mergers and money.

45 minutes in and still banging on about funding.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen it. Not impressed. Jonathan Greener looks as if he just loves being on the telly. Doesn't do much for the Church of England's image - mostly blokes, mostly posh, mostly boring.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the new alter. There that's the positive bits over.

The problem was that nothing was looked into properly, not the renovations, not the diocesan restructuring. Instead of the issues we just had Greener droning on and on.

As someone in the Wakefield diocese, all I can say is roll on the changes, the further we are removed from that lot the better.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was dire: too many clergy (all of whom were posh and male) sitting about in posh drawing rooms drinking tea and talking about dioceses (is that the plural?); almost no lay people; little sense of what else a cathedral is about than ministering to its clergy and the very few (silent, grey) worshippers you saw.

I just thought, the people in this programme have absolutely no idea, no idea at all, of how the outside world might see them. (To be fair, this might have been editing -- but they seemed to be rushing towards irrelevance all on their own.) [Disappointed]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O dear - what a shame! And this at a time when cathedral congregations are actually growing......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered if I'd missed anything. Apparently not, then.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly, I turned to watch this where I had recorded it, and found I had somehow recorded "Snow, Sex and Sus.." something (it couldn't cope with the full title). I thought it was a good thing it was to be repeated, but now, I think I won't bother.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
(To be fair, this might have been editing -- ...

I think this is the case.
Being in the Wakefield Diocese geographically, if not theologically (I'm RC, my cathedral is in Leeds) I'm pretty familiar with the Cathedral and some of it's clergy/staff and it didn't seem an accurate representation at all. The camerawork especially seemed to pick up only the bits that made it seem parochial and poorly attended, neither of which is true, at least in my experience.

It'll be interesting to see what subject the other episodes concentrate on; whether the series tells you anything about cathedrals as a whole.

Incidentally, re: the building refit. That floor labyrinth really is lovely, and I'll be trying out the chairs on Saturday for this concert.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure it was the editing -- I imagine that people connected with Wakefield Cathedral feel pretty badly used by the BBC.

Certainly the representation of the cathedral as dark and empty bears no relation to the pictures on the Cathedral's own web site.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They can only edit from what they've actually got so I don't blame it entirely on editing. If there'd been some evidence of really getting to grips with the issues, and some evidence of active lay involvement then I think this would have been seen. Tony Macpherson contentedly eating biscuits was an editing choice but one with some basis in reality I suspect. Similarly Jonathan Greener's chuntering on. It wasn't out of character, the man has form.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
They can only edit from what they've actually got so I don't blame it entirely on editing.

I do.

Take the meeting between the deans of the 3 diocese and the guy with the flip chart:

One person started to speak in favour of the motion and instead of showing the arguement from both sides the BBC cut to The Wakefield Dean, in his armchair, giving his personal opinion.

Biased reportage at its worst.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK Jonathan Greening did come across as liking being on TV, but the program was entitled "Wakefield Cathedral" not "Leeds proposed (Anglican) Diocese". So reporting both sides of that proposal would've been inappropriate, IMHO.

The programme seemed to confuse diocese with cathedral. JG was shown as defending "his diocese" against the proposal. But it's the bishop's diocese, not the dean's.

The cathedral was quite obviously (and perhaps understandably) preoccupied with the rebuilding of the nave and the funding therefor. A different time or place could have been chosen resulting in a more 'rounded' view of cathedral life. Perhaps we will get that from Wells and/or Southwark.

But the accusation about 'posh blokes'? You weren't expecting a Songs_of_Praise-type series of interviews with worthies from the cathedral congo were you? (If that's what you want, I think SoP on Sunday next IS from Wakefield!) Anyway, there were interviews with 'ordinary' people, though JG was onscreen too much - I suspect due to editing as noted above. Incidentally, surely directors give instructions about what to film, having their own ideas about the thrust of the programme they want to make.

I look forward to seeing the next two programmes and, I hope, contrasting approaches.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Next week is Wells, so we won't get to see any other Wakefield-ians defending themselves.

The interviewer's question, 'If Jesus walked into Wakefield with £3 million in his pocket do you think he'd spend it like this?' obviously took the dean by surprise (though he did his best with it), and was described in the Times review the next day as cruel. I suppose it was.

The question throughout (apart from the 3 into 1 aspect) was whether this was a good way for the cathedral to spend money. Lots of other cathedrals do the same; Canterbury hasn't been without scaffolding for years. How far should we go to maintain our links with the past? Do we risk it becoming a barrier to worshipping God today?

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
They can only edit from what they've actually got so I don't blame it entirely on editing.

I do.

Take the meeting between the deans of the 3 diocese and the guy with the flip chart:

One person started to speak in favour of the motion and instead of showing the arguement from both sides the BBC cut to The Wakefield Dean, in his armchair, giving his personal opinion.

Biased reportage at its worst.

'One person started to speak in favour..'. That may be as far as it went. Perhaps JG interrupted. Who was that 'one person'? Was he possibly a lay person or a cleric of lower rank than JG?

Although this was an edited snapshot of the CofE in general and Wakefield diocese in particular I think it was a fairly accurate one.

Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posh blokes? Yes. Worthies from the cathedral Congo on S of P? Well, I've never watched S of P so no idea, but actually I was very disappointed that the C of E, in this diocese at least and at the elevated leval of the cathedral hierarchy, is if this programme is anything to go by) has a wholly disproportionate number of posh blokes. No wonder much of the public perception of the C of E is of irrelevance.

But actually, although not a member. I think the programme did the church a huge disservice - whoever was responsible. The Anglicans of my acquaintance locally are a diverse lot and decidedly unposh.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I watched some of the repeat to check out the flip-chart sequence again. There wasn't much discussion shown from the meeting - the camera cut to Greener in his office after the 'pro-guy' had spoken. If the editing was biased it seems to have been biased against the Dean in that it made him look like a pompous windbag.

The flip-chart meeting looked pathetic. Is that what a 'high-powered' clerics' meeting looks like? Mugs of tea, assorted biscuits and the inevitable SWOT on a flip-chart?

It'll be interesting to see if other Cathedrals are shown in the same way.

dv
Shipmate
# 15714

- Posted      Profile for dv     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was interesting to see the contrast on Songs of Praise that came from Wakefield Cathedral. Looked like a completely different place.
Posts: 70 | From: Lancs UK | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week was Wells and IMO a lot better than last week. Much less about clergy and politics, but more about the cathedral as a worshipping community. Rather than interviews with windbags in clerical shirts, there were interviews with lay people talking about their faith. Last weeks episode nearly put me off watching it again, but I'm glad I persevered as I really enjoyed this one.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by dv
It was interesting to see the contrast on Songs of Praise that came from Wakefield Cathedral. Looked like a completely different place.

There's a reason for that:

The BBC move in for SoP with a "theme" and a ready-made list of people - often with no connection to the church the programme is filmed in - either ready to do their sound-bite story or with it already filmed.

If you're really lucky (or really pushy) you may get permission for the cathedral choir to do one item - though less happens less and less often.

The idea that any SoP represents the worshipping community, either in that church or in the community where it is, is risible. And the SoP team have a musical agenda too so even if the filming takes place in an NEH middle-of-the-road parish you'll have at least some things in the broadcast that would never feature in the musical life of the church the programme comes from.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After focusing on the earthly matters of running the building and the politics of the Wakefield diocese, then the spiritual focus of the people in Wells cathedral, I am looking forward to seeing what the Southwark programme looks at.
Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
It was dire: too many clergy (all of whom were posh and male) sitting about in posh drawing rooms drinking tea and talking about dioceses (is that the plural?);

That may have been Wakefield, but the focus at Wells was very much talking to people who had come to the cathedral to soak up the atmosphere of being in such an awe-inspiring place (mostly during general opening hours, rather than services). It was a very fine promotion for keeping church buildings open as much as possible.

It would be a good touch now if the last programme could focus on the actual services - but we will have to wait and see.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recorded the first two and watched them back to back last night. I felt the Wakefield one accurately reflected the politics and wrangling that can happen in contentious Synodical situations, especially when people's status is threatened. I say this as someone who was secretary to a Diocesan Synod for some years. They could have focussed more on the life of the Cathedral, and it was a shame they mostly showed midweek early morning services with two old ladies and a dog and not the whole community together on a Sunday.

The episode on Wells was fantastic, and not just because I'm from Somerset. There were some real human stories in there and it showed just how real faith is. I thought the interviewer was very good in giving people the space to open up and tell what were sometimes quite difficult stories. I also loved the fact that, being just a few miles from Glastonbury, you had a bit of "alternative" spirituality cropping up - with the allotment holder and his Chi Gong and the singing lady talking about ley lines. There's a good deal of that in Somerset, and it increases as you get closer to Glasto.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
I recorded the first two and watched them back to back last night. I felt the Wakefield one accurately reflected the politics and wrangling that can happen in contentious Synodical situations, especially when people's status is threatened. I say this as someone who was secretary to a Diocesan Synod for some years. They could have focussed more on the life of the Cathedral, and it was a shame they mostly showed midweek early morning services with two old ladies and a dog and not the whole community together on a Sunday.

Apparently they filmed the whole of the Christingle Service, attendance 700+, and decided not to show any of it. [Roll Eyes]

The Wells episode was much better, speaking to a wide variety of people. The lay reader was incredible, and worth the ticket price by herself. I don't envy anyone with vertigo the job of organist though. Yikes.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
simwel

praying fool
# 12214

- Posted      Profile for simwel   Email simwel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched the final programme on Southwark. What a difference, and how well the senior clergy came across, they really seemed to be engaged in the real world and gave the impression that they actually had something between their ears. I thought a great advertisement for the Church of England. If only it was replicated throughout the other dioceses
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

My thoughts too simwel. I was impressed with Southwark. The Dean seemed very clued up and the impression I got was of a Cathedral very much in tune with its surroundings.

From what I know of Wakefield Cathedral there have been, and are, some equally clued up people and the Cathedral has been a venue for much that is equally worthy. Unfortunately, as the programme showed, the Yorkshire dioceses are currently dominated by the clueless.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching the Southwark programme now. It does come over rather well!

I suppose it helps that its our local cathedral and I've often been there and I've met most of the people they talk to (at least I've been in the same room at the same time as them, I don't know any of them well) and I also know the neighbourhood well - I pass through it almost every day, often multiple times.

But that bias aside, they do seem to have their heads screwed on.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the Southwark programme and also felt it reflected well on the senior clergy. One difference between Southwark and the earlier programmes is that Southwark could easily have been a large parish church in its densely populated urban setting. As such, the programme was as much about how a large church, rather than a cathedral, in an urban area works. There are parish churches in London with a higher Sunday attendance rate than Southwark, so it's role as a large church in the area is less dominant. Compare that with Wells, where the cathedral is totally out of proportion to the size of settlement that it's in, or any of the churches for miles around, and you are dealing with a very different institution.

So while the "cathedral-ness" of Southwark was less pronounced, it did show a well run church with a lot of sensible people with a good concern for worship, mission and theology. And you don't get that on the box very often.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former worshipper at Southwark I thought it came over well.
A cynic would say that Southwark Cathedral presses all the right buttons for a BBC producer. Still, I think that those are the right buttons to be pressing whether BBC producers like them or not.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016