homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shit pastors say (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shit pastors say
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The new vicar at a rural church on the borders of Kent and Sussex said from the pulpit at his first service that he didn't want to look down and see a congregation of old people. So the next week he didn't.

!

I have a horrible feeling I know the vicar in question. PM me please!

I'm now in my mid 50's but on many occasions over the last 10 years I have felt I should
apologise for being in the church as I am too old..

You've reminded me of the time I was visiting a church as, apparently, was the minister preaching on that occasion. He was speaking about a time 50 years hence 'when we would all obviously be dead and gone'. I exchanged a look with the other person there under 45!

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by listener:
"...Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway"..

I am seriously considering making this my new sig line!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many years ago we had a visiting preacher. He preached about sin, and he was agin it. Nothing to see there, perhaps- but he had a mannerism which this middle-aged middle-class congregation wasn't used to: 'brothers and sisters' peppered his delivery. He told us the story of a young man he had known who had a terrible problem. The preacher was coy about what this problem was, but boy, was it terrible. At last, with the assembled company on the edge of their seats, desperate to find out what the terrible sin was, he came out with it:

'Brothers and sisters (pause); he liked to dress in women's clothes.'

You could have heard a pin drop. Someone let out a strange strangled snort, as of a person trying too hard not to laugh. I realised too late that it was me.

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
I knew one who got his wife to counsel a woman who had just found she couldn't have children (because this was Women's Stuff™ [Roll Eyes] ).

The wife said to her, 'Oh, you must have children, or you'll never know what love is.'

Fuck me running. [Mad]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
Many years ago we had a visiting preacher. He preached about sin, and he was agin it. Nothing to see there, perhaps- but he had a mannerism which this middle-aged middle-class congregation wasn't used to: 'brothers and sisters' peppered his delivery. He told us the story of a young man he had known who had a terrible problem. The preacher was coy about what this problem was, but boy, was it terrible. At last, with the assembled company on the edge of their seats, desperate to find out what the terrible sin was, he came out with it:

'Brothers and sisters (pause); he liked to dress in women's clothes.'

You could have heard a pin drop. Someone let out a strange strangled snort, as of a person trying too hard not to laugh. I realised too late that it was me.

Ohhhh that reminds me of something I'd successfully blocked out [Big Grin] Some years ago I was at the 4pm cafe church style family service of a conservative evangelical Anglican church I attended. At this church, the sermon series would be the same at the 4pm and 7pm services, with 10am service going by the lectionary. The 10am service and 4pm service both had Sunday school for the children during the sermon, but at the 4pm service generally those aged 10 and over stayed for the sermon. This is relevant, I promise! This church had a number of retired clergy who preached, and one with ahem, interesting social skills was preaching that day. I can't remember what the theme of the sermon was exactly but sexual sin came into it somehow. It ended up becoming a sermon on the sins of swingers for a congregation full of teens and pre-teens [Help]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe they learned something new. But probably not. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my former parish, the rector thought it would be a good idea to have his wife guest preach (she is also an Episcopal priest). She started out her sermon, in all seriousness, with "Something traumatic happened to me....I had to take my generaal ordination exam." I kept waiting for the "traumatic" part of the story and it never came. No disrespect to clergy who had to endure this intense exam, but I hardly call it "traumatic!" Since she was the rector's wife, we all just very polite and didn't say out loud how lame a preacher she was.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great thread. I'm tempted to print it off and keep it.

I'm sure I've pastardized many a sermon. Sometimes I look back on my old computer copies of sermons and blush. The more I think about the responsibility of preaching, the less I want to do it. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Great thread. I'm tempted to print it off and keep it.

I'm sure I've pastardized many a sermon. Sometimes I look back on my old computer copies of sermons and blush. The more I think about the responsibility of preaching, the less I want to do it. [Paranoid]

I think this is one of those things where if you actually care, then you can't have gone far wrong! Or you could always atone by preaching a 'stupid things I have said in sermons' sermon. [Biased]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not a Pastard, just a really meandering preacher: This retired priest who sometimes presides at weekday Mass has, on multiple occasions, found a way to work into his over-extended homily that he knows Ann B. Davis ("Alice" on the Brady Bunch). Which has never, in even the remotest way, had anything to do with the readings of the day, but neither did the rest of his homily.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
Same Pastard told me that people who are going to commit suicide never talk about it, and those who talk about it never do it.

That was in response to me telling him that I was having SI as a direct result of overwork for the church. One month later I had a nervous breakdown.

Pastard.

[Mad] I'm so sorry that happened to you. I remember a youth pastor preaching to our youth group that suicide is the most selfish sin. Great, I thought, one more thing to feel guilty about when you're feeling suicidal.

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
On a bad day, it's hard to tell the difference between him and the south end of a northbound donkey.

That just went into the Quotes thread. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine goes back to the days of my youth, and involves what we might call a bishard. It was an RC confirmation service, which at the time was mostly 8-11 year old confirmands, and His Grace said that his homily was directed at the adults in the congregation so we youngsters shouldn't listen. He then used his homily to preach on the evils of contraception, no doubt inspired by how many children were in front of him. Not even my parents thought the bishop was playing with a full deck that day.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The scene is the vicarage lounge of a friend of ours on Christmas Day. It is after church and we are having pre-lunch drinkies having just attended the service which she has taken at the church next door. She is the minister of another church too (St Pius) and has sent her two curates to take the service there - X to preside and Y to preach at an All Age Eucharist.

The 'phone rings in the study; our friend goes off to answer it. She returns looking ashen and saying 'Oh my God. That was the churchwarden of St Pius. She said "I just want to tell you what happened this morning before anyone else phones you to complain".'

I said 'It was X wasn't it - has she sworn at someone while leading the service again?'

'No, it was Y. On Christmas Day, at an all age eucharist, he decided to preach on suffering and death. In graphic detail'

We all reach for more sherry. She refused to train any more curates.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the new terms coined in this thread; Pastard and Bishard. And praught for past tense of preach.

I am going to use these forever. Maybe longer. xxx

cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The biggest all-time Pastard I ever knew, told me that there was a 50% chance that my baby girl (who had only lived a few hours after birth) was in hell, because God knew all the choices she would have made, had she lived.

Not just deranged, also evil.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pastard is too good a word for such a monster. [Mad]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think more of these stories need to end with "and then I punched him in the face." The world would be much happier if so.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I think more of these stories need to end with "and then I punched him in the face." The world would be much happier if so.

I agree wholeheartedly. [Smile]
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
Originally posted by cosmic dance:
The biggest all-time Pastard I ever knew, told me that there was a 50% chance that my baby girl (who had only lived a few hours after birth) was in hell, because God knew all the choices she would have made, had she lived.

That is indeed totally evil. And totally, absolutely, 100% wrong. Imho, your baby is safe in the arms of a loving God; anything else is unthinkable.

I am very sorry that happened to you, cosmic dance.

[ 28. November 2013, 12:09: Message edited by: Anglo Catholic Relict ]

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:

I agree wholeheartedly. [Smile]
So do I.

Someone once said exactly this to me after listening to a 'Sermon Slot' at an 'all-age worship' service. The 'slot' was introduced by the vicar who posed the question of what we need as 'spiritual food'. He spoke for around 5-6 minutes. This was followed by the congregation being equipped with paper plates and filing along a line of children who stuck labels onto the plates; 'bible', 'prayer', 'fellowship' etc. Nine labels in all. The vicar then addressed each of these labels in turn, speaking for 3-4 minutes on each. In all the 'sermon slot' lasted around 45- 50 minutes. Someone sitting by me confided that after that he just wanted to punch the vicar in the face.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
Someone once said exactly this to me after listening to a 'Sermon Slot' at an 'all-age worship' service. The 'slot' was introduced by the vicar who posed the question of what we need as 'spiritual food'. He spoke for around 5-6 minutes. This was followed by the congregation being equipped with paper plates and filing along a line of children who stuck labels onto the plates; 'bible', 'prayer', 'fellowship' etc. Nine labels in all. The vicar then addressed each of these labels in turn, speaking for 3-4 minutes on each. In all the 'sermon slot' lasted around 45- 50 minutes. Someone sitting by me confided that after that he just wanted to punch the vicar in the face.

I would have headed for the door long before the 45-50 minute point.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The late Andrew Blair CR used to tell his students that good preaching was like drilling for oil but with a much shorter time-scale and summed it up thus: if you don't strike oil in 10 minutes stop boring.

Worst I've ever heard? Pastardess who used the sermon slot to deliver an oral love-letter to a member of the congregation who had decided to put herself forward for Reader training - cringe-making. And in the process of so-doing she managed not only to rubbish the contribution of 2 of the parishes Readers but then ignored the 3rd (another woman) completely. It was point-scoring and grudge-grinding on an epic scale: all the congregation (including the wannabe Reader) were very uncomfortable.

Had the bishop at the time been of a different cut I'd have written to him - it was so bad. Bitch [Mad]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spiritual food: [Projectile]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The late Andrew Blair CR used to tell his students that good preaching was like drilling for oil but with a much shorter time-scale and summed it up thus: if you don't strike oil in 10 minutes stop boring.

Bishop Coyne teaches preaching at the seminary in Indianapolis. He's been known to start tapping his pen on the desk while students are preaching: once for each parishioner falling asleep! It certainly gets the point across...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My top two pastards were both missionaries giving talks about their missions. The first was a (white) missionary in South Africa during the apartheid era. I walked out conspicuously while muttering loudly when he said, 'And of course, black people have lower morals' Apparently the rest of the congregation were more upset by me then him.

The second was a missionary from China who spoke at length and unnecessary goriness with added slides about all the persecution Chinese Christians faced. He said their persecution glorified God (something I have an issue with in itself - their reaction to persecution is what glorifies God) and then prayed at length and detail that we may all face severe persecution so we would glorify God. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I have no words for this boil on the south end of a northbound donkey...

I'm so sorry for your loss and sorrier still for the ASSinine counsel - especially in your darkest hour.

Your daughter is safe in the embrace of the one who said, "let the little children come to me and do not hinder them."

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Undercover Christian
Apprentice
# 17875

- Posted      Profile for The Undercover Christian   Author's homepage   Email The Undercover Christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once, while leading a church service, I was free-styling the opening prayer and inadvertently asked the congregation to pray to me.

This is about as appropriate as alleviating your boredom in church by pretending that they're singing about you.

--------------------
http://www.theundercoverchristian.com

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never really got the mote/plank story until I read this thread.

If I were to make up a rude name for women / women priests / gay people / disabled people / people of another race .......... I would be slapped down. But hey it's OK for you guy to call me a Pastard. There is foolishness and then there is nastyness. Take it to Hell if you wish to be assholes.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could amuse yourself by making up unflattering terms for people in pews (Congrunts? Pewkers?). However, I don't know that the coinage of a term for unsatisfactory members of a particular profession counts as a personal attack, unless it is being specifically applied to a Shipmate.

OTOH, any of you diss librarians, you're in trouble.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
Originally posted by The Undercover Christian:

This is about as appropriate as alleviating your boredom in church by pretending that they're singing about you.

I am going to do that from now on. : )
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

If I were to make up a rude name for women / women priests / gay people / disabled people / people of another race .......... I would be slapped down. But hey it's OK for you guy to call me a Pastard. There is foolishness and then there is nastyness. Take it to Hell if you wish to be assholes.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but you clearly still don't get the mote/plank story.

Good luck with that.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As far as I can make out the word "pastard" here is not meant to cover all pastors but those who have been exceptionally insensitive. As many of the cases quoted have been and very hurtful to boot.

Obviously it doesn't cover the majority of preachers.

(Mind you I'm inclined to cheer the curate who preached about death and suffering on Christmas Day. When I was a kid I was worried nobody ever mentioned such subjects.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

That is indeed totally evil. And totally, absolutely, 100% wrong. Imho, your baby is safe in the arms of a loving God; anything else is unthinkable.

I am very sorry that happened to you, cosmic dance.

Anglo Catholic Relict speaks for me too. I can't imagine the pain you must have suffered or how someone with so little understanding could become a pastor.

What happened to me was less extreme, and it happened many years ago. I just got home from hospital because I had a miscarriage that day. The phone rang and it was the pastor's wife (who also functioned as a pastor in that church). Her 'comforting' words to me were: 'God let this happen because He wants you to minister to other women'. Everything within me bristled, but I was too weepy, exhausted and angry to say anything back to her. So I just said I have to go then put the phone down.

I suppose in her mind, God sent his own son and sacrificed his own son, so why shouldn't He sacrifice my baby for the sake of ministry? It is one view of God which I understand intellectually, but find her notion of 'ministry above all else' utterly repulsive in practice.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This has been a borderline Heavenly thread, and I can see the ballast is shifting towards at least one other possible venue.

I will discuss with the other Hosts.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If I were to make up a rude name for women / women priests / gay people / disabled people / people of another race .......... I would be slapped down. But hey it's OK for you guy to call me a Pastard.

Pyx_e, I have known you long enough to be sure that you are not a pastard. OTOH, I can't think of a better term for the pastor who told a grieving mother that there was a 50/50 chance that her baby was in hell.

'Pastard' is a title that has to be earned.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may have mentioned this episode before; if I did, forgive please. It's due to my advancing age.

One day the priest held up a Rubic's cube, and told us his sermon was entirely based on that toy. He repeatedly referred to the four sides of the Rubic's cube. The four seasons, the four Gospels, the four points of the cross, etc.

There were furtive looks exchanged, and a chuckle now & then. But it was a real Emperor's New Clothes moment, toward the end, when a little boy said very clearly "There are six sides on the cube". There went his whole sermon, right into the trash can.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

As the person who originated the term, rather without thought in a fit of reverie about my mother's death and the incomprehensible statements of the priest (I listed only one), and in the context of considering Other Bad Things that some pastors and clergy have said, it was specifically not meant to label the profession and calling as a whole, rather the specific actions at the time. FWIW, I have personally called God and Jesus bastard and far worse at times (Mr. Damn & Son and myself have had a difficult relationship).

This was intended as a non-grim, humourous and possibly serious thread. If it hit a nerve with you, be assured that no offence was intended to you nor the general class of fine preachers and pastors everywhere. No-one has called you personally anything as far as I see. I did think it was a necessary thread. Elsewise, where on earth could we possibly discuss and air things like this?

We might also liken this to having an unsatisfactory visit to a physician and then relating within the story of it that the doctor was a quack. This may speak to both the actions of the physician and the response of the patient. Evidently I have been a Very Bad Spiritual Patient; my vaccination with the Holy Spirit has not prevented me from catching the disease of cynicism, sarcastic, mean-spiritedness and likewise bastardy. Without this disease I might well die instead of broken heart.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Some of us on this thread are pastors/priests/ministers ourselves and (in my case at least) we are not calling ourselves names as part of a generic insult. Whether or not the thread stays in Heaven, I don't think we're having a go at all pastors or calling you names.

--------------------

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Well, we could always adjourn to the Circus and practice Threads Most Likely to Miff Other Shipmates. What about 'Lawyers - what a bunch of scallywags!'?

Or you can start a separate thread on another Board.

Meanwhile, I will leave you with my favourite pronouncement from the pulpit: the exhortation to await the Second Coming with our lamps girt and our loins lit.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
This was intended as a non-grim, humourous and possibly serious thread.

My apologies to you and to the host for my post. I should have considered where the thread is situated before posting something as personal and heavy in tone on this thread. I have completely missed the intention of your OP. Please forgive me. [Hot and Hormonal]

Cheers!

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pooks -

I thought your post was a "good" (ie terrible) example of the things pastors shouldn't say.

You have my considerable sympathy. It must have been horrid for you.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not a pastard but - fond memories of a very nervous curate who's vocal offerings became more scrambled as his nervousnes increased he sometimes sounded like a first cousin to Spooner.

Being exhorted to let the love of "the newly innarcate Chist rild into our hearts" one Christmas the choir just managed to hold it together until they reached the vestry ...

To give him his due, he joined in with the laughter and gradually lost some of his nerves - although I still cherish notices about "dangerous manoeuvres in the par cark".

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Teachers and representative pupils went to a funeral of a child from school who died of leukaemia. Her grieving parents, and family were there

"What a pity we don't see more of you in church on an ordinary Sunday" started the Vicar.

[Mad]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had that this morning - full church for the Christingle service including parade service for the uniformed groups and we still got "How nice it was to see a full church!" and "How nice it would be for people to come more often." And lots of people trying to get their messages across in length and depth, which actually made the service less attractive. (I was there as a Guide leader considering the girls who had come along for this and other parade services only.) Basically, the more you push and make your messages longer and longer, the less likely it is that we'll get those girls back next time.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't help but think of this.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

"What a pity we don't see more of you in church on an ordinary Sunday" started the Vicar.

[Mad]

Fucker.

I got chided for "backsliding" after being flat on my back in bed with an upper respiratory infection for a month. Yes, my family told the dear reverend what was up with me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Chide him back for a lack of pastoral visits.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I got chided for "backsliding" after being flat on my back in bed with an upper respiratory infection for a month. Yes, my family told the dear reverend what was up with me.

Is it definitely wrong to pray for people to get sick?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

[Mad]

Fucker.

To be fair, it was only an upper respiratory infection - the rest of you should have been able to get to church! [Two face]

(Just checking that there's still an ocean and almost an entire continent between me and Kelly - that axe has a long reach... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the worst sermons I can remember hearing was when I was training for ordination. Mrs Grouch and I were attending our local church. The woman deacon (this was just before women were ordained to the priesthood) preached on Mary's pregnancy.

As a single woman who had never been pregnant, perhaps she should have chosen a different subject. She prattled endlessly about how WONDERFUL and SPECIAL Mary must have felt. Not one word about the shame of being pregnant out of wedlock. Not one word about the discomfort of pregnancy - the sickness, the aches, the sheer pain of giving birth.

I could feel Mrs G tensing beside me and I held on to her arm. She admitted afterwards that I had not done so, she would have stood up, walked to the pulpit and given the silly person a complete tongue lashing.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Not one word about the discomfort of pregnancy - the sickness, the aches, the sheer pain of giving birth.

Perhaps she believed (as some do) that since Mary was conceived without sin she didn't have pain in childbirth (the "curse of Eve").

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016