homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Pie Thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Pie Thread
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
American Thanksgiving is on Thursday, and aside from turkey, no food better represents that holiday than pie. So what is your favorite pie?

I must have pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. I would take sweet potato as a substitute, but really, it has to be one or the other, or it isn't Thanksgiving.

Pecan pie is another favorite. I recently learned that there are a lot of people out there who hate pecans in general, and pecan pie in particular. Fine. More for me.

And last, I have to acknowledge the many variations on custard pie that you find throughout the South. Buttermilk pie is heaven on a plate, and my grandma's lemon chess pie is the dessert course in my ideal last meal.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm, pie. Despite not being in the US any more, I have some pumpkin puree in the freezer and I think a pumpkin pie may have to be created this week. Banoffee pie is delicious but my husband isn't really a fan, so I haven't made that for far too long. And a good lemon meringue is a delight.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Massachusetts all the way
From Boston down to Buzzards Bay
They feed you till you want to die
On rhubarb pie and pumpkin pie,
And horrible huckleberry pie,
And when you summon strength to cry,
“What is there else that I can try?”
They stare at you in mild surprise
And serve you other kinds of pies

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around our house it is mincemeat,cranberry, apple pie. It came about one year when I was making a mincemeat pie and did not have enough mincemeat to fill the pie shell so I added some apples, and a handful of cranberries because they were sitting on the counter. Now it is our regular holiday pie along with pumpkin for Thanksgiving.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think pies in the UK are savoury more than sweet, and our sweet pies tend to be double-crust ones (and apple pies made with cooking apples). I actually prefer what we would tend to call tarts and Americans would call pies - especially custard tarts. Southern-style cream pies look delicious.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminding readers that, in general:

US: pie=top crust
tart=open top
NA: pie= 4 inches or more in diameter
tart= 1-3 inches in diameter

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many pies, so little time!

Favourite pies include but are not limited to:

Steak, mushroom and Guinness with chips
Beef and Stilton (with chips)

Rhubarb pie (without chips)
Lemon meringue pie (ditto)

More if I think of it

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to John Holding:

None of the pies I listed have a top crust.

I am sure it varies from region to region, but I think that in the States, a pie is usually deeper than a tart, with sloped outside crust. A tart will be shallow, sometimes with a fluted crust. The tart is a little showier, the pie has no pretension about it.

But no matter what you call it, I'll eat it.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Hmm, that's just given me an idea. I wonder how stilton would hold up to being steamed in a suet crust with beef and beer. Now the cold weather is coming in, I might have to try that...
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Around our house it is mincemeat,cranberry, apple pie. It came about one year when I was making a mincemeat pie and did not have enough mincemeat to fill the pie shell so I added some apples, and a handful of cranberries because they were sitting on the counter. Now it is our regular holiday pie along with pumpkin for Thanksgiving.

Oooh, that sounds good! Can I stop by on Thursday?

Pumpkin and good mincemeat pies are definitely my favorites. (Mincemeat in the U.S. and mincemeat in the U.K. are apparently not the same thing.)

Also... pumpkin pies are always pies, and they never have a top crust.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pie, wonderful pie!

Pumpkin, with whipped cream (or more decadently, ice cream) on top. Cherry, with a lattice top. Peach, mmmmmm..... Oh so many wonderful pies.

Lemon mereng pie doesn't have a top either, btw. Nor custard cream pie. Both delicious.

Shoofly pie, that scrumptious Amish treat. Also topless.

I just went and had a slice of sweet potato pie too. No top there.

But blueberry, and blackberry, with a light fluffy pastry top... oh yeah.

Pie. So many wonderful pies.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Hmm, that's just given me an idea. I wonder how stilton would hold up to being steamed in a suet crust with beef and beer. Now the cold weather is coming in, I might have to try that...
That does sound good...
I was going to say beef and ale pie with a suet crust, with a custard tart for later.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pork Pie! Accept none but those with the "Melton Mowbray" protected designation of origin specifying where and how pies described thus can be made.

Failing that a good apple pie (with base and top, in the British fashion) made with shortcrust pastry. Ideally Mrs Sioni's shortcrust pastry.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite is Pecan pie. But it needs to be done correctly or it's just an unappealing, gloppy mess.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best apple pie I ever had was at a place called the Big Apple in Canada.

I like steak and kidney pie or homity pie (pastey crust filled with potato, onion and cheese). I had the most fantastic homity pie at the National Trust restaurant at Agatha Christie's house, Greenway. The portuon was huge and it was made with crushed new potatoes, cheese and grain mustard - delicious!

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Pork Pie! Accept none but those with the "Melton Mowbray" protected designation of origin specifying where and how pies described thus can be made.

Failing that a good apple pie (with base and top, in the British fashion) made with shortcrust pastry. Ideally Mrs Sioni's shortcrust pastry.

Pork AND apple is nicer still [Big Grin]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
My favorite is Pecan pie. But it needs to be done correctly or it's just an unappealing, gloppy mess.

For a number of years, my uncle brought something he called a "Texas Pecan Pie," which included a lot of chocolate and a top crust of some form. Which is just wrong. All you need is a pie crust, sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla, and pecans. Anything else ruins a perfectly simple and delicious treat.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And just to introduce a whiff of sulphur, I'll consign to the other place the kind of infidel who takes some kind of stew, puts a bit of puff pastry on top and calls it "pie".
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone had to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlk36vgygh4

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pie has to have pastry base, sides and top.

If it doesn't have pastry on top, it's a tart, or maybe a flan, but definitely not a pie.

If it only has pastry on top and not underneath and at the sides, there isn't a name for it and it belongs in the dustbin.

Steak and kidney gets my vote every time.

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else a fan of the movie "Waitress"? The main character coped with a difficult life and marriage by baking incredibly great pies with appropriate names like "I Can't Have No Affair Because It's Wrong & I Don't Want Earl to Kill Me Pie". (cinnamon custard) Here are recipes for five of them.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:
A pie has to have pastry base, sides and top.

If it doesn't have pastry on top, it's a tart, or maybe a flan, but definitely not a pie.

If it only has pastry on top and not underneath and at the sides, there isn't a name for it and it belongs in the dustbin.

Steak and kidney gets my vote every time.

A Teviot pie is lovely though. And it can be argued that a cobbler is a type of pie.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
And just to introduce a whiff of sulphur, I'll consign to the other place the kind of infidel who takes some kind of stew, puts a bit of puff pastry on top and calls it "pie".

Like this? [Biased]

Well, it's not puff pastry at least.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Thanksgiving, I'm making a Provençal onion tart (using the Good Vermouth and everything) and, as always, pecan pie. It's part of my culture and heritage; pumpkin is something people feel compelled to eat because it's Tradition (never liked the stuff myself), but pecan is what you eat because Karo corn syrup is in your blood. Cherry's also nice, but pecan is Obligatory.

Other good pies at other times of year: peach and blackberry in season—though both make better cobblers*, quite frankly—strawberry rhubarb if you're in the mood (and in a part of the country where rhubarb pie takes the place of pecan). There's a pie shop with a few locations in the area that does a vanilla custard pie topped with locally made vanilla wafers coated in fudge—the cookie floats to the top to form a bit of a crumb crust, with a layer of fudge underneath, supported by the custard. It's not something to eat every day, but with a cup of Zeke's coffee and/or a Natty Boh, it's a nice treat.

Savory pies—SS, I fixed your quote for you:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Pork Pie! Accept none.

I think I've gone on enough rants about my opinion of rotted Spam in perfectly good pastry that people here know what I think of pork pies, protected origin or not. There are other savory pies—fish pies (one day, I'll try stargazy pie…), shepherd's pie topped with mashed potato, STF (sausage, tomato, fennel) pie, SMOG (steak, mushroom, onion, Gruyere) pie—and a whole world of handheld pasties, empanadas, and patties, filled with all manner of delicious things, that why anyone would settle for pork pies is beyond me.

*Cobblers are more common in places where peaches are usually grown; I'm not sure if there's a formal definition of the difference, other than one has the crust on top and is square-ish, the other has it on the sides and is round-ish, though I've heard some, usually from outside proper cobbler country, insist you should use a biscuit (US) dough for cobblers. Eh, my mom used the same dough for peach cobbler that she did for pecan pie, as did everybody else I know. Now that I think about it, though, I think cobblers have to be fruit-based; I've yet to hear of a chocolate or lemon chess cobbler, although chess pies and cobblers are both very Southern things.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Around our house it is mincemeat,cranberry, apple pie. It came about one year when I was making a mincemeat pie and did not have enough mincemeat to fill the pie shell so I added some apples, and a handful of cranberries because they were sitting on the counter. Now it is our regular holiday pie along with pumpkin for Thanksgiving

Pigwidgeon asked, " Can I stop by on Thursday?"

Fly by anytime.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
The best apple pie I ever had was at a place called the Big Apple in Canada.

I like steak and kidney pie or homity pie (pastey crust filled with potato, onion and cheese). I had the most fantastic homity pie at the National Trust restaurant at Agatha Christie's house, Greenway. The portuon was huge and it was made with crushed new potatoes, cheese and grain mustard - delicious!

I live 40 km north of there currently, and used to live in that very village. I drove by the Big Apple every day on the way to work.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yum! Pie!

Mince meat is my very, very favorite. I do enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, however.

There are so many different varieties, and what a shame to not be able to indulge every day.

We used to pick wild blackberries that were almost the size of my thumbs. Those went into deep dish pie. (If you're going to make one, might as well make a big one.)

Rhubarb with homemade vanilla icecream, blueberry, peach, cherry...all good. Daughter-Unit makes fantastic cherry pies!

Mom used lard for the crust when I was young. There is nothing like lard crust for a mouth-watering pie.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Reminding readers that, in general:

US: pie=top crust
tart=open top
NA: pie= 4 inches or more in diameter
tart= 1-3 inches in diameter

John

DAmn and blast. That first bit should have read:

UK: pie = top crust, tart=open top.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:

For a number of years, my uncle brought something he called a "Texas Pecan Pie," which included a lot of chocolate and a top crust of some form. Which is just wrong. All you need is a pie crust, sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla, and pecans. Anything else ruins a perfectly simple and delicious treat.
HEATHEN! BLASPHEMER! Chocolate makes all better.

One of my favourite on any side of any pond is Sweet Potato. The spices of pumpkin, but richer. When done correctly, it almost does not need chocolate.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I still ate sweetened pies, my very favourite was a raisin pie. When I was younger, coconut cream.

In my old age, I like savoury pies. Despite being a vegetarian, I have a proper pork pie in my freezer which I will cook before I leave. Tortiere! [Yipee]

Some quiches also turn my crank.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like a good pot pie but they're supposed to be just dreadful for one. Too much fat and cholesterol. My dear mother used to make homemade pot pie from odds and ends leftover from holiday meals... yum! It's funny, she made all sorts of pies when my sisters and I were growing up. She made or bought pumpkin pie but I never liked it then, thinking it looked "gross". When I lived in Seattle in the 1990's, my friend, Sr. Mary had me try pumpkin pie for the first time in my life and I was floored at how wonderful it tasted! Who knew a Catholic nun would get me hooked on pumpkin pie, but there it is. Real whipped cream is so much better than "Cool-Whip" on any pie. Mmmmmmmmm, pie!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can make grand pies if they just have a top crust. I have given up making proper pies as mine always suffer from soggy bottoms.

Anyway, less pastry makes them healthier! [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cobblers that I was brought up with (Kent, UK, Sussex background of mother) had fruit underneath and a crust made of scone dough (biscuit US) cut with the scone cutter and arranged on top. Not peaches, since we lacked them.
A memory is lurking of school dinners with a savoury (as in not sweet, not as in tasty) version with meaty chunks underneath - good for portion control if nothing else.
Do crumbles count as pies?

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you like carbohydrates, nothing beats a macaroni cheese pie. Served with chips, of course.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I can make grand pies if they just have a top crust. I have given up making proper pies as mine always suffer from soggy bottoms.

I bake the empty pie crust for about fifteen minutes before I put in the filling. It prevents sogginess.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very hard to find anyone round these parts who makes proper pumpkin pie, or my favorite, butternut squash pie. I'm not a huge fan of most typically southern pies. I don't like pecan pie, chess pie leaves me cold and pies with calf-slobber, aka meringue, skeeve me out. I do like caramel pie, but it has to be slobber free or I just can't stomach it.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
HEATHEN! BLASPHEMER! Chocolate makes all better.

I like a simple pie filling in a well made crust. I like to taste the different flavors melding together. If you add chocolate, your pallet just gets sledgehammered by the chocolate, and you can't taste anything else. Don't get me wrong, I like chocolate on its own, and a good chocolate chip cookie is a wonderful thing. But if you actually want to taste the pie, leave the chocolate for a post-nap snack.

[ 27. November 2013, 16:19: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For once, even I'm going to have to take the anti-chocolate on everything side. With anything, sure—a bit on the side is nice. And chocolate pecan pie is tasty; it's just not pecan pie. Now, my non-drinking family also insists that if you add bourbon to pecan pie it's either "bourbon pecan pie" or an abomination (a waste of good pie, ruined by nasty bourbon), but I prefer the woodsy, richer vanilla flavor of bourbon or dark rum to the assertive, fruity vanilla of, well, vanilla.

And BessHiggs, meringue, if made properly, is not "calf slobber." Made improperly (not enough sugar, not stiff enough, won't support a mound three feet high) or old, yes, it is watery. Made properly, it actually has texture (yes, really!) and, suddenly, makes sense. It took me a while to understand this myself…and a few disappointing pies after The Pie to understand why I used to not like meringue.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Pie = short pastry surrounding filling (in other words sides, deep bottom & top)
  • Tart = shallow pastry top with "wet" sweet hot filling
  • Tart = deep pastry bottom with "solid" cold sweet filling
  • Flan = shallow pastry bottom with savoury filling (may also be called Quiche)
  • Flan = sponge base & sides with sweet filling
  • Pudding= suet pastry with hot filling

So a set custard tart will have a pastry bottom but a rhubarb tart will have a pastry top only. The reason for this is that some fruits produce so much liquid that a pastry bottom doesn't cook.

And before anyone argues the case and cites Tarte tatin the only reason this works is because it is actually cooked with the apples on the bottom and is only flipped the other way for serving. Theoretically you could make something similar with rhubarb but in practice the rhubarb so loses shape that you're left with a mess.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

I bake the empty pie crust for about fifteen minutes before I put in the filling. It prevents sogginess.

Moo

Yes, I blind bake too, I have a jar of beans I keep for that purpose.

I also use a scone dough to make Cobbler, I was taught to make a meat one in cookery lessons at school.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scrap of conversation between two cooks overheard in a canteen many years ago:

"We've got lots of this spaghetti bolognaise sauce left over. What shall I do with it?"

The answer came back promptly: "Put it in a bowl, put a pastry topping over it and call it a pie."

While it's true you can put anything into a pie, some fillings work better than others...

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Scrap of conversation between two cooks overheard in a canteen many years ago:

"We've got lots of this spaghetti bolognaise sauce left over. What shall I do with it?"

The answer came back promptly: "Put it in a bowl, put a pastry topping over it and call it a pie."

While it's true you can put anything into a pie, some fillings work better than others...

Yum with a polenta or garlicky mashed potato topping though, or even garlic bread slices sprinked with grated cheese.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent the day making pies for tomorrow. Pecan and pumpkin. Separately.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a huge fan of pastry (except the odd mince-pie at Christmas). However, potato-topped pies are a different matter - D. makes the nicest shepherd's pie I've ever had. Technically it's usually cottage pie (made with minced beef) or occasionally moose-herd's pie (use your imagination [Big Grin] ), and much nicer than any we've ever had in even up-market restaurants.

A good fisherman's pie is also a thing of beauty (especially at Porter's Restaurant in Covent Garden in London), but it must have smoked haddock in there somewhere ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steak and kidney pie! Mmmmmm. All day long.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm definitely feeling a game pie coming on (by which I mean one with bits of rabbit and venison in, rather than one which puts up a fight when you eat it).
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When a farmer friend has some to spare he lets us have the odd bit of venison which, if its the right kind, gets cut small, casseroled and given a potato/celeriac/carrot top.

The children have christened it Bambi pie [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

The children have christened it Bambi pie [Biased]

My friend has a theory that the cuter the animal, the tastier the meat. [Smile]

We've got into the habit of making whatever leftovers are available from Christmas dinner into pie. Delicious, and changes year to year.

Otherwise pork pie (from my local cheesemongers is the best) or steak and ale. And a vote for Yorkshire Curd Tart for afters.

[ 28. November 2013, 14:00: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
given a potato/celeriac/carrot top.

What do you do? Just mash 'em up together? I prefer vegetable toppings over pastry tbh.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

A really good shepherd's pie is a wonderful thing, especially on a winter's night.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016