homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Works of art

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Works of art
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following a recent visit to London's National Gallery, I fell in love with this painting all over again.

I have a lot of favourites, classical and modern, but this one gives me particular pleasure at the moment. The small screen size doesn't do it justice. Admittedly the artist's perspective is a bit off on some of the tables, but to create a whole gallery of mini-paintings in the style of several other artists is a real show of skill. Seen close up in person it's amazingly well detailed.

I hope others will link to their own favourite work(s) of art and share their enthusiasm on this thread for whatever painting, sculpture or other work of art may have particularly impressed them.

(It doesn't have to be an Old Master or classical statue. Variety is the spice of life. It should just be something artistic that really impressed you.)

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Banksy.
Cattyish, stealing wherever it's good.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll never forget my first sight of this painting several years ago, so much detail, I stood in front of it for ages.

A more modern painting that I enjoyed meeting is this

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw The Matchmaker for real for the first time last year, and I really liked it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I visited the Wallace collection for the first time I was stunned by the number of famous paintings I was seeing for the first time - Titian, Rubens, Rembrandt, Fragonard, The Laughing Cavalier by Hals ...

I went looking for the Bernard Palissy pottery

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a Hurley, with different colours than this one, inherited from my wife's grandmother who neighbour to the artist. Ours is more orange and deep purple shades, but this gives you an idea.
http://www.mendel.ca/homeshow/portfolio/robert-hurley-58/

The Canadian prairies are rather stark and we look to art to pull own perceptions into beauty, hence the like of warm colours and exaggerated angles.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is one of my favorite paintings.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a fondness for the Pre-Raphaelites, and Isabella and the Pot of Basil is hanging over my sofa.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love any of the works of Chinese artist
He Qi

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite sculpture is of a bear.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitten, I like Brueghel a lot and your second link is just how Docklands would be if it were painted.

A fascinatingly diverse selection altogether on this thread. (It would be great if people could say a little about why they like them?)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep returning to the work of Greg Dunn although I have only seen it on the internet.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather regret that, many years ago, I didn't blue my life savings on a painting I saw in a gallery. Now I am of the opinion that You Can't Look at Money, and will buy artworks when I can. I am currently sharing a room with 5 works by 4 artists - 2 anonymous Nepalis, and 1 contemporary Scottish and 1 contemporary Irish artist.

I'm not against reproductions, but I do find our motley collection of oils, pastels, watercolours, pen-and-ink and prints - quality variable - afford a satisfaction over and above the Great Paintings in a Gallery experience.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father in law is an oil painter and we have one of his waterfalls in the kitchen (painted from one of my husband's photographs from Skye) and 2 paintings of Cambridge backstreets in the the lounge. But my favourite painting is by a friend from church, Heather Gardner, it is a huge painting of Jesus Green in oils, beautiful pastel colours and almost mpressionist in style. It takes the central spot above the fireplace and was my birthday present from my husband last year. It makes you feel that you can step into the picture, it's very enticing. We also have one of her river paintings. I'll see if there is a photo online.
My husband has his eye on a farm painting by another friend at church.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite sculpture of a bear.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We own the first two paintings on her page Heather's artwork

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
When I visited the Wallace collection for the first time I was stunned by the number of famous paintings I was seeing for the first time - Titian, Rubens, Rembrandt, Fragonard, The Laughing Cavalier by Hals ...

I went looking for the Bernard Palissy pottery

I used to love visiting the Wallace Collection when I lived in London. And I thought the ladies' toilets were beautiful, best toilets in London [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer Wallace upstairs (e.g. Canaletto) to Wallace downstairs. I can take only so much still life and shot pheasants before I run out gasping into the fresh air. But my favourite gallery of all time is the National Portrait Gallery (always a lot less crowded than the National Gallery), particularly pictures of the past and present Royal Family.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention this, which always turns my legs to jelly and leaves me blissfully gibbering...
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last time I was at the Portrait Gallery, looking at the new exhibits, a group of us were most rude about the perspective on the background of Dame Maggie Smith portrait - hadn't met the others before, but we all had the same sort of expressions on our faces. I prefer the Dame Judi Dench portrait.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

As it happens, yesterday I was in the NPG looking at the photo of the Actors' Last Supper, which is quite remarkable.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite art museums. They have a roomful of 17th-century Dutch interiors that just makes me go all squealy.

But, for an example of the genre in another gallery, I love "A man seated reading..." at the National Gallery. Zoom in and look at the way the artist has rendered sunlight, passing through imperfect glass, onto a rough wall. It's a combination of thick, flat brush strokes combined with thin paint washed over - probably repeating the process several times to build up a combination of opaque and translucent layers. It's just gorgeous (and very modern).

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like modernist and symbolic art, which attracts both the sense of beauty and the imagination. Vrubel's work is fascinating, and my favorite is the Demon Seated and the Demon Overthrown, which, I think, show ideally the conflicting feelings Russian intellectual class had over the last years of the Tsardom.

Another favorite is Goya. All of his works have a terrible awful beauty to them but the black paintings and Saturn devouring his son is especially powerful.

For a less dramatic, yet equally melancholic bittersweetness I enjoy Lowry. Something like The Park or Seascape is fantastic, though makes you shiver and want to wrap a blanket around you just looking at them.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Favourite art? That's hard because TP & I have favourites in different periods. 16th century would be Vermeer for me - though I did love seeing this modern take on his style: very clever!

17th century - TP has many prints from the Wallace collection, but this is the one that makes him go weak at the knees.

We also love Morris, Klimt and Bakst - I have lots of Ballet Russe prints around the house. This is my fave and hangs over the bed.

Favourite Australian artists would be Christian Waller and Tudor St.George Tucker. Worth googling!

I also love Banksy.

[ 15. December 2013, 20:33: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For clotted gorgeousness, it's hard to beat Peploe. He starts off rivalling Velazquez, Out-Cezannes Cezanne before taking on the Fauves.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
For clotted gorgeousness, it's hard to beat Peploe. He starts off rivalling Velazquez, Out-Cezannes Cezanne before taking on the Fauves.

O my! Those are phenomenal!

The only one of the Scottish Colourists I'm even vaguely acquainted with is Francis Cadell. I always visit his Interior with Lady Seated when I'm in Manchester City Gallery. I love how bold he is with the amount of white he uses, with dashes of bright colour that just jump off the canvas at you. (I think the Scottish Colourists are what you get when Fauvism comes to live in a cold climate.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I looked at the Lowry link (thanks, Hawk) I noticed a picture of Clifford's Tower in York - I never knew that Lowry had painted in York before!
One of my favourites is a local artist, Meg Stevens. She paints very detailed grasses and flowers in the foreground, with a distant landscape beyond, usually round the Brecon Beacons.
For sculpture, it's got to be Sally Matthews - she makes animals out of sticks and wire and wool and straw. The first time we saw her work, we entered the gallery from the lower floor and came up the narrow stairs. "What are Jenny's deerhounds doing in there?" my husband asked. Then: "Hang on - they're not moving!" The sculptures of the deerhounds really were that realistic.
( www.sallymatthews.co.uk )

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016