homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hymns and Songs from your school assembly (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hymns and Songs from your school assembly
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We found the song 'The Baker Woman' last night. We regularly sang it at my Junior School assemblies (this is a link to the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRfUgR4_18M )
It took me right back to those days of standing in my school hall, singing the heck out of it.
Any songs remind you of your school assemblies and what do they bring back to you?

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All things bright and beautiful", complete with the rich-man-at-his-castle verse, which is why even with that verse redacted the song as a whole still makes me shudder.

We also sang this little ditty, as best I can remember:

At half past three we home to tea
Or maybe at quarter to four
And [X] pairs of feet go running down the street
And in at the home front door
[probably a few more lines here]
Father [doing something doubtless gender stereotypical]
Mother by the stove
A little bit of quarrelling
But lots more love.

I'll risk the hostly rebuke for overly long quotation because I can't believe any copyright holder will actually own up to it.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we had assemblies at my first Primary school, I don't remember them. I don't think we can have at the second, since it had no large communal space, just Victorian classrooms. The bigger school across the road to which you transferred at about P4 or 5 definitely had assemblies, since I remember reading the bit out of the Bible a few times - but any hymns have passed like water over sand. Ditto the next school. Secondary, I think it was A&M; only one sticks in my mind was at second secondary, where we always sang 'For those in peril on the sea' on the anniversary of the loss of the Princess Victoria.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:

We sang this too, although I don't remember anything beyond these 4 lines. The other thing I remember about primary school, not assembly per se, was the very regimented rhythm we used to say grace before school dinners. I can't render it in writing here, but can reproduce it in person if asked [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
"All things bright and beautiful", complete with the rich-man-at-his-castle verse, which is why even with that verse redacted the song as a whole still makes me shudder.

We also sang this little ditty, as best I can remember:

[probably a few more lines here]

Father [doing something doubtless gender stereotypical]
Mother by the stove
A little bit of quarrelling
But lots more love.

I'll risk the hostly rebuke for overly long quotation because I can't believe any copyright holder will actually own up to it.

I remember it as being the cat that was by the stove

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes think of this little hymn and wish that life had been that simple!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My First School (Primary plus first two years Junior) got adventurous to towards the end of the time I was there. So we had Stand up, Clap hands and The ink is black, the page is white.

However at Sunday School we in the primary age group still sang Hear the pennies droppin when we took up the offering.

Jengie

[ 17. December 2013, 18:00: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoyed singing hymns at school! Too many to mention individually bar one. We lived in a fishing village, and at Primary School ( age 7 to 11) we sang 'When lamps are lighted in the town, the boats sail out to sea'. A lovely little hymn that I haven't heard since.
At Secondary School we were each issued with a small hymnbook (hard covers, blue with an embossed design of two deer drinking from a pool - ring any bells?) for which we had to make a fabric cover. I remember the cover-making drama better than the hymns. I was/am no needle woman!

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That'll be "Songs of Praise" I think.

I liked "When lamps are lighted", too. (We sang it in Folkestone, where the harbour was full of fishing boats.) It wasn't until much later that it occurred to me that the writer had a rather loose understanding of tides.

Same book -
"I love God's tiny creatures,
That wander wild and free.
The coral coated ladybird,
The velvet humming bee."

And no arguing about the theology, as with more recent creationist stuff.

And in secondary school, same book, branching out into "By the breadth of the blue that something something o'er us", and Something by Addison, also about creation, and words to Tallis "Thou wast O God, ... for hadst Thou needed anything, Thou couldst have nothing made."

[ 17. December 2013, 19:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved 'When A Knight Won His Spurs' and 'He Who Would Valient Be'. I used to imagine the knight on his white charger going off to do battle against the evil dragons.

We had to cover our hymns books in paper. One girl put a new cover on each year without removing the ones underneath - by the time we got to Sixth form, she couldn't close the book any more. I covered mine in white anaglypta and coloured in the pattern.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember in my church primary school a hymn "Over the seas there are little black children". A bit redundant in British inner cities for the past forty years.

When I was a bit older it was A'n'M at prep school and English Hymnal Service Book and Public School Hymn Book at secondary school. All the main line MOTR hymns, with "Lord dismiss us" at the end of term. Yuck. Give me Moody and Sankey and Fr Faber any day.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the whole children from the primary St. James' and St. Michael's school to our St. John's church, and they all performed, with having learned and knew their hymns to sing, as well as acting about what was going on before Jesus was born and about his mother and the animals that came down when the Angels told them. They also had many as angels. Then we sang together when they finished their story, and we then had communion for their parents and teachers and prayer on each child as they were each touched and blessed.
We sang together, "Once in royal David's city", "Glory, glory to God", "O little town of Bethlehem", "Holy, holy is the lord," "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus is the Lord," and "Hark the herald-angels sing."
The children did very well and had been taught very well in their school!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh gosh, yes... 'The ink is black; the page is white', and 'the coral-coated ladybird' one. Plus 'Lord of the Dance', and 'Red and yellow and pink and green; purple and orange and blue', and 'Kum ba ya', and 'Who built the ark?' and 'The animals went in two-by-two' [bit of a Noah theme, there - I was in West Cornwall; it rained a lot!] and 'Morning has broken'...
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been looking for the ones I remember online and not found them.
"Lift up thine eyes unto the hills, and see on Carmel's distant height - a new a brilliant star which thrills, our souls with it's celestial light"
That was Christmas started for me.
At the end of year the leavers always got serenaded at the special leavers assembly with -
"Go forth with God, the day has come, when thou must stand, the test of youth, Salvation's helm upon thy brow, go girded with the living truth."
Girls convent school if you hadn't guessed. We did sing To Be a Pilgrim, but it was always She who would valiant be.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like lots of people had the A&C Black books at school in the 70s.

'Think of a world without any flowers' anyone? I used to sing the recorder line as a descant when playing it at home with my friends.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These things shall be... was, I think, Songs of Praise #312 or 316 or something close and was our School Hymn - it isn't actually a hymn at all, despite being in SoP.

It goes very well to a cha-cha-cha beat!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One I recall from Primary school began:

'Come let us remember the joys of the town' then something about buses that drive up and down. Later in the first verse was 'dogs in the street', that rhymed with 'people we meet'. Had a nice jolly tune.

I also like the 'when lamps are lighted' one.

Plenty of kids these days just don't know any hymns at all, apart from those they sung at school - my partner's son (age 16) imagines that when I go to church I sing things like 'Autumn Days' or 'He's got the whole world in his hands'.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One song we heard a lot of was 'Autumn Days' - in my village there was a children's singing/music/crafty festival every year in november and at least one seven year old would sing Autumn Days - probably because it was one of the first hymns we sang in school assembly in the autumn term so they already knew it.
We too had the blue hymn books was it Come and Praise or Songs of Praise?

In secondary school we had a few hymn sheets with about 6 hymns on each that we would rotate around - I think it was 'hymns the music teacher can arrange so that the school orchestra can play them'.
The main one I remember was 'What a friend we have in Jesus'. We used to sing 'There is a green hill far away' every Easter.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am hankering after A&C Blacks' Christmas collections, left in the school. I know one was "Merrily to Bethlehem", which had a lovely star carol "Who can name that bright flame...", but I can't remember the other one we had.* I wonder if they'd mind me borrowing them oveer Christmas, since they haven't had a concert this year.
We used the BBC books - Come and Praise, with CD accompaniment once we lost the pianist. Some of the recordings were weird, with very odd tempi. These are, however, from my teaching years, not my own pupil times.

I remember teaching them, all multicultural as they were, "The ink is black" and thinking how far they were from its necessity, so I explained why it had been written. The shock on the little faces was wonderful. People in America had thought children shouldn't be taught together! So I added the event which, many years ago, barred the NF from having hustings in our building (otherwise enforceable during election campaigns), in which the speaker had trespassed into a classroom, removed a reading book with a picture of a black and white child together and expressed his horror that this idea was corrupting the local children. We have come a long way since that song was written.

*Would it be "Carol, Gaily Carol"?

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You all sure were classy. At Leafy Lane Grade School in west Virginia we first said a pledge to the flag, then The Lord's Prayer, followed by songs like "This Old Man" (knick-knack patty whack, etc.) "I'm a Little Tea Pot," and "Row Your Boat." We took turns leading the songs and every morning I would wait, heart pounding with hope, to hear my name called. Never once. You hear that Mrs. Jordan? Don't be thinking I've forgotten.
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For hymns we used 'Songs of Praise' - musically upper class, doctrinally dreadful. We learned lots and lots and lots of hymns - after all we had assembly twice a day, so ten hymns a week - better than the average parish church repertoire.

We did have favourites, one of which was not the prepostrous school song 'Olaf to right the wrong'. I won't quote the rest, but I could - it is still stuck in my brain with the same kind of barbed hooks later perfected by 'Spitting Image' for the 'Chicken Song'..... [Disappointed]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How lovely to be reminded of "When lamps are lighted in the town" - I haven't come across it since I was in the infants class.

At my non-church state primary school as well as morning assembly we used to sing a hymn and a prayer at the end of the day - "All through the night" was popular and the headmaster always finished with the third collect at Evening Prayer - "Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord . . ."

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When a knight won his spurs
Go tell it on the mountain
Think of a world without any flowers
He gave us eyes so we could see
When I needed a neighbour (and how everyone would giggle at the 'I was cold, I was naked' line, and then we'd all get a stern telling off by the head teacher. You'd think they'd realise primary school kids are too immature for that song and remove it from the list of assembly songs, but no. We sang it practically every week.)

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Moses, I know you're the man,' the Lord said;
'You're going to work out my plan' the Lord said.
'Lead all the Israelites out of slavery,
and I shall make them a wandering race called the people of God.'

As a small child, it was quite fun to sing. Fortunately we soon graduated to a real hymnal (Hymns A&M, I think).
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
'Moses, I know you're the man,' the Lord said;
'You're going to work out my plan' the Lord said.
'Lead all the Israelites out of slavery,
and I shall make them a wandering race called the people of God.'

As a small child, it was quite fun to sing. Fortunately we soon graduated to a real hymnal (Hymns A&M, I think).
We still sing it at my church.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

What's so dreadful about the doctrines of Songs of Praise?

And we didn't have any problems with "When I needed a neighbour" - there may have been the odd one or two sniggers, but the majority took on board that the context outweighed the naughtiness. Young children are perfectly mature enough to learn about helping neighbours. Letting the sniggerers rule what the limits of discourse are is, in my view, wrong. (And that goes for "In the bleak midwinter" as well.)

One of the things I did in Hymn Practice was to point out the attributions to Trad and Anon in Come and Praise, and encourage the children to contribute their own verses. They were very thoughtful about this, and made some mature choices. Even in Year 3 (7 and 8 years).

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What great memories this thread has brought back. I too lived in a fishing port and When Lamps were lighted was a favourite. We also sang when a Knight won his spurs and At The Name of Jesus was another favourite.
One I haven't sung since childhood wasn't a school hymn but a Sunday school one, and the one I always chose when it was my turn - Hold the fort
No one I speak to has ever heard of it but I loved it as a child- probably because it was livelier than the other hymns!

[Code edited so that link works. - Ariel, Heaven Host]

[ 19. December 2013, 11:26: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Well, from casual memory - there were hymns which celebrated man not God (e.g.'These things shall be'), the texts of Eucharistic hymns were doctrinally filleted, Advent hymns seemed weak on the Second Coming....

Uncle Percy did go a bit soft in the head in later years..... [Devil]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jante:
One I haven't sung since childhood wasn't a school hymn but a Sunday school one, and the one I always chose when it was my turn - Hold the fort
No one I speak to has ever heard of it but I loved it as a child- probably because it was livelier than the other hymns!

I remember that also, but I don't remember where I learned it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Oferyas:
quote:

Well, from casual memory - there were hymns which celebrated man not God (e.g.'These things shall be'), the texts of Eucharistic hymns were doctrinally filleted, Advent hymns seemed weak on the Second Coming....

Uncle Percy did go a bit soft in the head in later years..... [Devil]

I suppose one could choose not to use the ones one disagreed with - I would have thought that a book roughly aimed at schools would have a broader approach than one aimed at a particular denomination. Coming from Congregational Praise, I dare say I wouldn't have noticed, had they been used, anything odd about the Communion choices. Since our doctrine in the area was probably filletted, too. I'm not sure that your points qualify as dreadful, or head softened. I was imagining something terribly heretical in the eyes of all possible users. (Though failing to imagine anything specifically terrible.)
I must go downstairs and have a look.

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

I suppose one could choose not to use the ones one disagreed with
The luxury of non use wasn't accorded to us, and theological judgement of the Head was ghastly. And I'm sorry - in my opinion in a supposedly 'Anglican Foundation' hymns promoting humanism (e.g. 'These things shall be') or syncretism (e.g. 'Gather us in') are dreadful!

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And we didn't have any problems with "When I needed a neighbour" - there may have been the odd one or two sniggers, but the majority took on board that the context outweighed the naughtiness. Young children are perfectly mature enough to learn about helping neighbours.

Possibly the primary school I went to was a bit rougher than the one you taught at. Understanding about helping each other practically (which we did) is not quite the same as singing repetitive and rather abstract songs about it in assembly, particularly a song that includes singing 'I was naked'. When I then went to private school, the attitude towards such songs was different - far less sniggers (although probably more from politeness than from depth of understanding. Meeting naked people and helping them is unlikely to be in a primary school kid's realm of experience). FWIW, I still think it's a daft song.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We sang "When lamps are lighted in the town" at my primary school in London and didn't see anything strange about singing it inland!

My favourite was "When a knight won his spurs".

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Well, having read them in the links, I notice that the humanist one refers to hymns of praise, which I would assume to be to God, and the syncretist one could be interpreted in the same way as "Hills of the North" as bringing all from their various traditions into the true one.

On the other hand, I have to admit that the words "a loftier race" are a bit of a turn off, before reaching the rest, which are similar in thought to "Turn back O man" and others found in the "Social" section of that sort of hymn book. I don't see it as celebrating humanity, but being prophetic* about where we should be heading.

*In the sense of warning and directing, not foretelling.

But I think my Congregational and latterly Quaker connections are influencing my attitude (open to the light from wherever it may come) and emphasising differences from an Anglican background. (That goes for Sydney Carter and his songs, too.)

When it comes to dreadful, I tend to feel that songs like "Who put the colours in the rainbow?" are more deserving of the criticism than those poems. (I used to avoid them in Hymn Practice.) Who put... (The comments are illuminating, and explain what I felt about it - it was written from the narrow perspective of a particular branch of Christianity I find it very hard to be doing with, and am not going to encourage. Unlike the coral coated ladybird one.)

I waas in school yesterday, and someone has the carol books out of the staffroom, so someone is being seasonal. Which is good, but means I can't check up on the words to "It was on a starry night.)

[ 21. December 2013, 06:19: Message edited by: Penny S ]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isang some of the ones mentioned here. Others include 'Give me oil in my lamp', 'Sing hosanna', 'Black and White', 'Kumbaya'.....

I liked school assemblies. They even let me play the piano sometimes as the other children filed in.

[ 22. December 2013, 21:32: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking back, I now realise how much the words went way over the heads of me as a nipper in about 1970. I'd assume that a strange word carried a similar meaning to the closest sounding work I knew, to arrive at some strange meanings, such as:

'Thy will be done' meaning 'You will be reprimanded'

'See His banners go' from Onward Christian Soldiers. Banners sound similar to bangers, therefore it probably means 'Observe Him detonating fireworks'

'Thou rulest in might' from Immortal, invisible, God only Wise I assumed meant 'Your rules are the strictest in existence'

'Thy unction grace bestoweth'. Can't remember the hymn, nor do I actually know the definition of unction to this day, but to a seven year old accustomed to roads and plumbing fittings, I assumed the word was interchangeable with junction. Bestoweth sounded close to Bisto, therefore the phrase probably refers to a divine scolding for pouring gravy down the kitchen plughole.

Oh, I also recall the musically banal 'Lord thy word abideth' and the Deputy Head attaching too many military connotations to 'Onward Christian Soldiers', urging us to assume we were battling against the local supermarket.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Isang some of the ones mentioned here. Others include 'Give me oil in my lamp', 'Sing hosanna', 'Black and White', 'Kumbaya'.....

I liked school assemblies. They even let me play the piano sometimes as the other children filed in.

My memories include parody versions of 'Give me oil,' most notably 'Give me gas for my Ford, keep me trucking' (but perhaps I'd better no continue.)
I would add that this was from a Methodist summer youth assembly.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
My memories include parody versions of 'Give me oil,'

Give me batteries for my torch keep me shining ...
... Ever ready, ever ready, ever ready for the King of Kings. [Razz]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember When a knight won his spurs

Oddly I also remember Judge Eternal throned in splendour

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
manfromcaerdeon
Apprentice
# 16672

- Posted      Profile for manfromcaerdeon   Email manfromcaerdeon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned it in the meadow path,
I learned it on the mountain stairs –
The best things any mortal hath
Are those which every mortal shares.

Lucy Larcom 1824 – 1893
Lucy

[ 02. January 2014, 10:03: Message edited by: manfromcaerdeon ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He who would valiant be (To be a pilgrim), always sung on the last day of term, plus Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing with the tune Eton College (which is NOT the tune played as such by Cyberhymnal)

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at primary school in the mid/late 70s and we had the usual 'All things bright and beautiful' and 'Amazing Grace' as well as 'The ink is black' (Luton was already multi-cultural then and I had several Indian friends who had escaped Idi Amin's regime). My favourite songs were 'At the name of Jesus' and 'There's a road that leads from Jerusalem', a song about the Good Samaritan.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to prove English public school cliches were alive and well in the 1990s....

O Valiant Hearts puts me straight back in the school chapel on Armistice Day, with the great sea of names on the war memorial looking down on me.

Other than that, all the usual "football hooligan" hymns - as described by the Chaplain - which you can get massed gangs of boys to sing with gusto - to the extent that they crop up regularly at our weddings down the line:

The Church's One Foundation
Ye Who Own the Faith of Jesus
Guide me O Though Great Redeemer
Onward! Christian Soldiers
Jerusalem
Stand Up Stand Up for Jesus, Ye soldiers of the Cross
From Greenland's Icy Mountains (to the tune of the Church's one Foundation)
He Who Would Valiant Be
I Vow to Thee My Country
Eternal Father Strong to Save

Honestly, when we got to university, it was a surprise there wasn't an empire for us to go and administer...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I was at primary school in the mid/late 70s and .... My favourite songs were 'At the name of Jesus' and 'There's a road that leads from Jerusalem', a song about the Good Samaritan.

I don't know 'There's a road that leads' and a Googl;e search did not reveal the words either. But it did reveal a similar discussion to ours here at:
this page interesting as it comes more from a school than church perspective.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it is called Compassion Road and can see it in some album listings but can't find the lyrics. I know most of them by heart though, it starts 'There's a road that leads from Jerusalem, it's the way down to Jericho. It's compassion road, steep and tiring road, which has danger from thieving foe.' And goes on to mirror the beaten up man on the road with the oppressed of our own time.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

It is written by Michael Baughen apparently and appeared in a book called Youth Praise 1 but the lyrics aren't available online according to the site.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Sounds good, but maybe in reality it isn't as its life span seems to be quite short [Smile]

The Good Samaritan story is rightly popular in primary schools it would be good to have a good song about it for young children.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:
Sounds good, but maybe in reality it isn't as its life span seems to be quite short [Smile]

The Good Samaritan story is rightly popular in primary schools it would be good to have a good song about it for young children.

I think there's one called "Cross over the road". But I can't find a working link.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

Other than that, all the usual "football hooligan" hymns

Are you referring to 'When the SPURS Go Marching In?

(We're not lager louts anymore!)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:

I think there's one called "Cross over the road". But I can't find a working link.
Try 'A Samaritan on a lonely road' (can't find a link, but we had it in a Scripture Union song book for children): tune 'The raggle-taggle gipsy'.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016