homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What happens to the presents.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What happens to the presents.
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife Gill H on here, and I have different traditions when it comes to the presents. Father Christmas brings Gill her stocking presents but the family ones stay in the house. As far as I am concerned mum and dad send the presents to Father Christmas near to Christmas Eve and he bring all the present including some from him.
What happens to the presents in your family.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always told my Children, and now my Grandchildren that the Stocking presents are from Father Christmas and the under tree presents are from the people whose name is on the gift tag.
We also only opened stocking presents in the morning, under tree presents were not opened until tea time.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
As far as I am concerned mum and dad send the presents to Father Christmas near to Christmas Eve and he bring all the present including some from him.

Wait. You send the presents all the way to the North Poll (or wherever Father Christmas lives) and then he brings them all the way back? That's crazy talk. And environmentally unfriendly, I might add.

When I was a kid, we typically opened the presents from family under the tree on Christmas eve, and then got small stuff (candy, nuts, fruit, and a small toy or two) in the stocking from Santa on Christmas day.

I thought everyone got an orange in the toe of their stocking on Christmas, but that was completely foreign to my wife.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the Nenlets were younger, there were a few presents under the tree as they arrived from friends but the main lot appeared on Christmas morning, along with the filled stockings (left out on the hearth the night before, with the mince pie and the carrot). Not that the Nenlets ever believed in Father Christmas. We told them the truth as soon as they could understand, also explaining that it was a game people play and we would play the game.

Now the presents under the tree build up as people wrap them but the stockings still go out on Christmas Eve for Nenlet1 and her husband, whom we see later on in the day, and for Nenlet2 who unwraps his in the morning with Mr Nen and me.

Nen - currently panicking a bit about the stocking fillers and whether there are enough for each stocking. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presents are from real people. Santa was always pretend when we were small but once my nephew got worried about a strange men coming into the house in the night, it seemed a good idea to do away with Santa. Why keep up the pretense if it is scaring the kid.

We seem to do main and surprise present. Although there is not much surprise about some of the surprises.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had santa bring some but if there were lots mummy and daddy had to send santa money for the extra.
This explained why some kids had more than others..

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
I always told my Children, and now my Grandchildren that the Stocking presents are from Father Christmas and the under tree presents are from the people whose name is on the gift tag.
We also only opened stocking presents in the morning, under tree presents were not opened until tea time.

Ours was basically the same, but opened stocking presents as soon as we woke up, and under tree presents after breakfast (we were not a churchgoing family).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've never done Santa or Father Christmas. This was fine with our eldest but it took years to convince my youngest that Father Christmas didn't exist [Roll Eyes]
No rules here, the boys wake us up at an unholy hour and we all go downstairs and unwrap our presents together, with coffee/chocolate and warm croissants accompanying it.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In day when the children were small, one present was a "Santa present", unwrapped with name on it. The children would take it out of box, and then play with the box. Santa gave such nice boxes.

Myself, I would always get, and still always get, socks, a book, and a necktie (this dates me doesn't it, I wear one every day, I have about 270). And sardines. I always get a tin of brisling sardines, preferably King Oscar.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our stocking gifts were from Santa. Most of the time (except when he branched out into pillow cases), the stockings were Dads's knee length khaki camping socks.

Much, much later, we realised that he had rather a lot of these socks, and Mum and Dad filled three downstairs, before creeping in for a quick switch with the empty ones on the end of the beds.

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember in the early years with the Opuses, Mr Beets was very clear that *all* presents should be from someone, so stocking presents still had labels on them. Last year, however, he was confused by the fact that I'd put labels on the stocking presents... [Roll Eyes]

From the moment I admitted that I knew the truth about Santa, my parents didn't make any attempt at playing along with it, to my immense disappointment each year. Both Opuses know the truth, but it's a nice enough tradition and I think they'd be gutted if we said 'no more'.

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was young, stocking presents were from Santa and the rest were from people you knew. I was the youngest child, and as my sisters got older Santa used to just leave one bigger present outside their door instead of filling their stocking. I think i understood this like they were a bit too old for santa, like the children got too old for narnia.
We used to get stocking/santa presents when we woke up, and the rest after lunch (sometimes we were allowed one tree present before lunch). Present opening took the rest of the day as everyone had to take turns opening one present in age order (I think this was so we got a chance to play with each present and write down who it was from)
Mr marzipan's family have always opened their presents as soon as they get up though. The trouble with this is I am too busy looking at presents to help with dinner!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was young, Santa brought that one big present you really wanted, as well as filled your stocking. Family presents were placed under the tree as they arrived in the mail. My parents really did Santa well too. Sooty boot prints from the fireplace to the tree, reindeer tracks in the driveway, that kind of thing. Our Christmas stockings always contained an onion and a lump of coal (since we hadn't been good all year) as well as an orange. There were also always chocolates, small toys and a toothbrush.

We all had to go downstairs on Chrsitmas morning together, and my parents would loll around in bed til what felt like the ungodly late hour of 7 am to come get my brother and I. Stockings were emptied first, and the big Santa present could be played with, but we had to wait until after breakfast to open the rest.

As a tangent, my grandmother Sha's presents were always the most fun to open, just for the sheer difficulty of the task. Sha would use newspaper, brown paper bags, duct tape, lacquer, paint, or fingernail polish to create presents that were harder to get into than Fort Knox. It may have just been pencils, or underwear inside, the by gawd, you didn't just rip the paper off her presents [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When young, we had pillow cases from Santa, full of lovely things - books, chocklit, toys etc etc. Even when we knew Santa was not real, we still had our pillowcases. My sister, and then all of us, would fill stockings (real nylon stockings) with gifts for mum and dad, (always including Fry's Chocolate Creme for dad, and Cadbury's Whole Nut for mum). We'd go and sit on Mum and Dan's bed at about 8 am to open these (though I had usually woken at 5 to explore the contents beforehand & would feign delight as though I'd not seen the items before!)

We could open 1 gift before church and then would open the rest when we got back, with the youngest being in charge of collecting them from beneath the tree & distributing them. Coffee and mince pies accompanied this.

As we got older, but still gathered at Mum and Dad's for Christmas the pillow cases evolved into sacks, whch were left in a spare room before Christmas and people would sneak in and add anonymous gifts to everybody's sacks. I used to take the opportunity to buy myself a few goodies that I fancied for myself!! These would then be opened at the breakfast table.

About 10 years ago it was (almost) unanimously decided that the Sack Tradition would stop. I was bitterly disappointed.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
About 10 years ago it was (almost) unanimously decided that the Sack Tradition would stop. I was bitterly disappointed.

I relate to that - the year my father told me I was too old for a stocking I was very upset (though too grown up to show it
[Biased] ) which is why we keep doing stockings for our kids although they're in their 20s and we do one for our son in law too.

Nen - still fretting about the stocking fillers...

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stocking fillers is about the only bit I'm feeling at all confident about! Admittedly they might have to be rather small stockings, but I have half a dozen or so items for each... And I'm likely to pick up other things as I see them over the next few days!

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
As we got older, but still gathered at Mum and Dad's for Christmas the pillow cases evolved into sacks, whch were left in a spare room before Christmas and people would sneak in and add anonymous gifts to everybody's sacks. I used to take the opportunity to buy myself a few goodies that I fancied for myself!! These would then be opened at the breakfast table.

How sad, it sounds a wonderful tradition, I love the idea of little anonymous gifts being sneaked in.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my daughters were in their late teens, I told them that I would continue to provide stockings (actually small paper bags printed with Christmas themes), but I would appreciate stocking gifts myself. They burst out laughing, because they had already thought of this and bought the stocking presents.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went through a period, when, adult children visiting together for Christmas, we found Dad's camping socks and did stockings for Mum and Dad, and snuck them into their room in the night.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
which is why we keep doing stockings for our kids although they're in their 20s and we do one for our son in law too.

Mrs C and I spent our first Christmas at my parents' house. Mrs C got up early on Christmas morning to use the bathroom, tripped over the pair of stockings that were leaning against our bedroom door, and almost fell down the stairs.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are hosting Christmas for the local and visiting members of our extended family this year - one teenager, the rest aged 30 to 70. Even though this will not involve people staying overnight Christmas Eve, we are still going to have stockings.

Each person has been requested to contribute one item for a stocking for each person present (and two other family members, whose stockings will be shipped to them afterwards.) There is a box of labeled paper bags available to put them in, so nobody need know who has contributed what, and it is quite possible to add things to one's own bag (as long as one doesn't peek at the other contents, of course...)

Then the attendees will each stuff a stocking for someone else and we'll open them as a group.

Stockings provide an opportunity for lots of little treasures, sometimes collected throughout the year, which otherwise might not be large enough to be a Present. Also often includes practical bits - pens and pencils, candy, note paper, socks, kitchen utensils, etc.

And a Satsuma mandarin in the toe.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
As far as I am concerned mum and dad send the presents to Father Christmas near to Christmas Eve and he bring all the present including some from him.

Wait. You send the presents all the way to the North Poll (or wherever Father Christmas lives) and then he brings them all the way back? That's crazy talk. And environmentally unfriendly, I might add.

I was reading this thread out loud to Mr T, because the customs of the mother country are endlessly fascinating to us, but when I got to Og's post we laughed till we cried.

So. When we were little we had wrapped present from family members all under the tree for days but during the night before Christmas Santa came and left fabulous unwrapped gifts in front of
everything else. The stockings weren't filled until after we went to bed either, but somehow we always knew the tangerines and ribbon candy had to be our mother's work.

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
which is why we keep doing stockings for our kids although they're in their 20s and we do one for our son in law too.

Mrs C and I spent our first Christmas at my parents' house. Mrs C got up early on Christmas morning to use the bathroom, tripped over the pair of stockings that were leaning against our bedroom door, and almost fell down the stairs.
In my sister-in-law's family the tradition emerged that your stocking was the responsibility of your parents until you got married, whereupon it became the responsibility of your spouse. This has been adapted into my family and I keep forgetting and finding little amusements that would go nicely in my brother's stocking so he sometimes gets strange little tagalong gifts with his 'proper' present from me.
Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

TEA TIME? What sort of sadist are you?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

TEA TIME? What sort of sadist are you?
We used to open presents after the evening meal. The year I was 9, it was decided to watch The Sound of Music first, so it was close to 9pm before we did presents... hasn't warped me....much [Smile]

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I got married my h said that his family waited until after the Queen's speech before opening their Christmas presents. I pointed out that good as the dear Queen is, she is not the Christ Child, and that tradition was not going to happen. So we followed my childhood, not his.

Smaller presents are wrapped, most are unwrapped and laid out on a convenient chair or sofa. The aim is to completely cover it, which is easy enough if you include clothes, books, games, toys etc etc. When my d was small I would cover a two seater sofa, a chair and half the floor with presents, all from 'Santa', with a stocking on her bedroom door to begin with.

One present can be opened after Midnight Mass; the rest any time in the morning, giving the maximum possible time on Christmas day to enjoy everything.

My d is 20 now, but we still do exactly the same. Santa has long gone, but Christmas is the same. And she tracks Santa all day on Norad Santa Tracker. : )

When times were harder than now, I used to open all my presents after doing the Santa thing, and added them to the presents for my d if appropriate. If not really little girly I left them to 'open' myself in the morning. She never knew.

[ 23. December 2013, 18:14: Message edited by: Anglo Catholic Relict ]

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
Smaller presents are wrapped, most are unwrapped

The first year I did a stocking for our daughter I wrapped some things and not others, and she completely disregarded anything that wasn't wrapped so I didn't do that again. [Biased]

Nen - not really stocking-fixated...

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a church going house in my early years (actively and vehemently opposed to any form of religion) and not very well off either. Christmas was a working day for my father too - he went off early and got home in time for dinner at 1 (it had to be 1) and then off again until tea time.

After the age of 10 until I married, Christmas didn't really exist from a present POV. Up til then, economic reality meant that any presents were pretty small - no stocking but a few bits under a tree. The lack of presents seemed to bother others (including social workers) way more than I, until they (the adults) at least considered the economics of the matter and my parents refusal to get into debt to fund a one off explosion of gift giving.

When the markettes were small it was pillow cases at dawn and the rest after lunch. Now with the markettes all gone, it's back to square 1 with minimalist present giving and a good walk as a substitute.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Same here, though as all of our nephews and nieces as well as our daughter are now teenagers or young adults Father Christmas no longer fills stockings at our house, though he may make a stop at my sister's house and at that of my brother-in-law...

We are opening nothing until I get back from 7 Am mass tomorrow, except of course food items which we have mostly eaten....

Tomorrow will be a long morning as it starts with Adoration in the side chapel at the RC cathedral for me at 5 AM as it does every Wednesday. I dare not leave Our Father unattended!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, it was pillowcases for Father Christmas to fill and oh, the excitement when you woke up and stretched your feet down the bed to feel the weight of the filled pillowcase...you KNEW he'd been and trying to lie still until an acceptable hour was very difficult!

Church in the morning, even though we didn't go much the rest of the year, then back for lunch and after a post prandial snooze for the grown ups, tree presents before The Queen at 3pm. Tea and cake afterwards...

As a young married person, my parents did "stockings" for us if we spent Christmas with them...I still remember one year when Dad had gone mad with the office shredder and given us all a waste paper basket filled with green shredded paper, (Rudolf's "nosebag") within which were concealed "stocking" presents. My DH was rather bemused...

Now I'm all grown-up (!) and I have to be at church as I am the Vicar, Father Christmas doesn't call anymore and tree presents from friends and family wait until the DH says we can open them. Last year (because I was poorly) we didn't open them until the 27th...

I think Christmases of long a go were more "magical" somehow...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DONE! [Yipee]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
When I was a child, it was pillowcases for Father Christmas to fill and oh, the excitement when you woke up and stretched your feet down the bed to feel the weight of the filled pillowcase...you KNEW he'd been and trying to lie still until an acceptable hour was very difficult!

Church in the morning, even though we didn't go much the rest of the year, then back for lunch and after a post prandial snooze for the grown ups, tree presents before The Queen at 3pm. Tea and cake afterwards...

As a young married person, my parents did "stockings" for us if we spent Christmas with them...I still remember one year when Dad had gone mad with the office shredder and given us all a waste paper basket filled with green shredded paper, (Rudolf's "nosebag") within which were concealed "stocking" presents. My DH was rather bemused...

Now I'm all grown-up (!) and I have to be at church as I am the Vicar, Father Christmas doesn't call anymore and tree presents from friends and family wait until the DH says we can open them. Last year (because I was poorly) we didn't open them until the 27th...

I think Christmases of long a go were more "magical" somehow...

They were, because as a child you knew it was all about being given presents and tinsel and lights and stuff and didn't have the hassle of arranging it. The worst thing that could happen would be having to listen to the Queen's Speech, but that possibility was remote given that my father was a vehement republican and couldn't see the point - a tradition we've carried on.

[ 27. December 2013, 10:59: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit late in answering this but why not. In my childhood and to this day gifts from family and friends get opened on Christmas Eve in a strict ritual, one package selected at a time by one person going from oldest to youngest, then round again. Then for many years midnight service at church, and then bed. Christmas day would find Santa had been there and left unwrapped gigts under the tree and stocking gifts, the stockings being hung on the fireplace. Santa stopped bringing gifts and stockings at age 18, except to my mentally handicapped brother who still gets a few small items.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our household combines Christmas-Eve-present-opening and Christmas-Day-present-opening families, so our compromise is that we each open one present Christmas Eve (unless we're at one of the children's , in which case we do whatever they're doing), and then the bulk of them Christmas morning.

Opened presents tend to stay arranged under the tree for a few days. (Which is how you can tell there aren't any young children at our house!)

We do have Christmas stockings that we recycle from year to year...stockings are filled with small useful items, snacks and gag gifts, and fall outside the budget we set ourselves each year for the major gifts.

After going through a conundrum this year trying to figure out what to give one another -- seriously, we do not NEED anything -- DP and I are considering adopting a Christmas gift-giving theme for ourselves each year: Cooking; Travel-Related Presents; Educational Presents; etc. Has anyone ever tried this?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't need anything, one option to consider might be one of those charity donations where you spend what you'd normally spend on a present, but instead it buys something useful for people in the developing world, and your partner/friend gets a gift card saying what it is.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016