homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Honest to God Official Unwritten Ship of Fools Rules (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Honest to God Official Unwritten Ship of Fools Rules
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Styx, there was a query about the Unwritten Ship Rules. It got me to thinking about the unofficial rules which are current, or more importantly, Should Be Current.

You know them all of course,

If you call someone to Hell, send them a pm.

Don't make list threads.

When you read a post in Hell, imagine saying 'Mwa Ha Ha' under your breath at the outset.

Before posting in Ecclesiantics, make the sign of the cross and wear a clove of garlic.

Any I have missed?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for posting. I thought the clove of garlic was to be worn when posting to the Cooking thread in Heaven. My mistake.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only to keep Firenze away. [Biased]

[ 11. January 2014, 06:43: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

You've got that wrong: garlic acts as an attractant. Rather like the sound of popping corks. To repel me you have to sleep with a Kentucky Fried Boneless Dip under your pillow.

[ 11. January 2014, 07:13: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot to add:

Never, ever, under any circumstance diss comet.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
You forgot to add:

I was just about to say comet... just comet, really...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C6 protects posters, not hosts and admins.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

You've got that wrong: garlic acts as an attractant. Rather like the sound of popping corks. To repel me you have to sleep with a Kentucky Fried Boneless Dip under your pillow.
Kentucky Fried Boneless Drip, eh? Is that referring to EVERYONE in the South or just people in Kentucky? [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops, read it wrong. Dip, not drip. Still refers to far too many people in the Southern part of the United States. [Devil]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bodily function jokes are not funny. Neither are gross-out jokes. Making these is what gets threads closed.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All posts must be in the English language.

I think that this should be a written rule, and in the past I tried to persuade H&As to do this, but did so around the time that Martin PC Not got planked for posting in Morse Code and tempers were rather frayed.

Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:

Addendum: if it's commonly used in English, especially if more people recognize it in the original language than when translated, it counts as English.

The only exception for this is Welsh. I wish I knew Welsh, so by using it just enough that I can figure out what you mean by context, you're letting me delude myself into thinking I know it. Feeding my own personal delusions is always appreciated.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't post when drunk. [Eek!]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Party" threads are highly frowned upon in this establishment. Probably forbidden.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are no unwritten rules on the Ship, but heaven help you if you break one of 'em.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Don't post when drunk. [Eek!]

My posting frequency just went down....

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or to be more accurate, an English language. American, Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, Indian, Scottish and Welsh English are all slightly different, but we have hosts to cater for these.

Don't push your luck though.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
You forgot to add:

oh no! please, please do! [Big Grin]

I like snacks.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beware of H&A Day.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not attempt to sell snacks on a Hell thread, however dreary it may have become, nor however hungry the peanut gallery.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Try to learn from the dumbasses who have survived. (With thanks to comet. Again)

2. Hellhosting is, probably, the best possible training for senior management hereabouts.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
2. Hellhosting is, probably, the best possible training for senior management hereabouts.

[Eek!]

[Waterworks]

*runs for the door screaming incoherently*

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think that this should be a written rule, and in the past I tried to persuade H&As to do this, but did so around the time that Martin PC Not got planked for posting in Morse Code and tempers were rather frayed.

Angus

Except Australian English is banned!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
your definition of "banned" and mine are very different.

Another ship unofficial rule: no matter how long you try to avoid it, eventually, you too will need to learn the basics of latin, greek, liturgical colors, and cricket.

it's just a matter of time.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot steam train gauges and stations on the London Underground.
orfeo

# 13878

The one that really scares me is having to learn the pros and cons of Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Biased]

One can become a master even while residing in North Carolina.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
You forgot steam train gauges ...

Both for real-life trains and scale models, including the bizarre ways in which the same model gauge can be used to represent replicas in different scales!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! [Smile]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

That clanking sound was me changing the points to redirect this thread back to the original topic.

Firenze
Heaven Host

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never use a complete phrase when Some Obscure Acronym (aka SOA) can save a few seconds of typing time.

This is most crucial when discussing arcane matters having to do with the CofE.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The one that really scares me is having to learn the pros and cons of Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

It's better than penile substitutionary atonement.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:

What's so scary about big pickup trucks?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:

I knew that 'joke' was coming. I just didn't know who from.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pun not intended?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Their is a difference between both "to" and too" and "your" and "you're." Mix them up often to acclimatise the grammar Nazis to the real world.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't talk about Aberystwyth. Just don't.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or Leamington Spa ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Pun not intended?

Which one? There are so many to choose from.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

And neverevereverever say that it is Welch.
[Mad]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might have to allow one shipmate to talk about Aberwristwatch-on-sea as she lives there.(Not me)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hey! I won Mornington Crescent just a few years ago!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Their is a difference between both "to" and too" and "your" and "you're." Mix them up often to acclimatise the grammar Nazis to the real world.

Use Australian spelling as it is God's own country.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

And neverevereverever say that it is Welch.
[Mad]

Oh, I remember that... [Roll Eyes] And as Welsh is 'iaith y nefoedd' - the language of heaven - it belongs on this board as no other! [Razz]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never confuse the adjectives Scotch, Scottish and Scots. Just don't.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And please differentiate between a Kentish man and man of Kent. And then explain the difference to me. [Biased]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I don't - I am about half Scots-Irish and most of the rest English by way of Germany and the Netherlands: I was born in LA -- I get along with everybody!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

Don't forget 'less' and 'fewer': the foreman on a gig was corrected by me after an extemporaneous safety speech and I got sent home early later the same week! Surly rat bastard - no friend of mine anymore....

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I don't - I am about half Scots-Irish and most of the rest English by way of Germany and the Netherlands: I was born in LA -- I get along with everybody!
Except "surly rat bastards". [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And please differentiate between a Kentish man and man of Kent. And then explain the difference to me. [Biased]

A Man or Maid of Kent is a person born in East Kent. A Kentish Man or Maid is a person born in West Kent. Take it from a Man of Kent [Smile]
Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016