homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What were they thinking?! - Food disasters.. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What were they thinking?! - Food disasters..
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi folks,

Stumbled on this page - full of culinary disasters - links to others..

[Thread title edited slightly. - Ariel, Heaven Host.]

[ 15. January 2014, 23:42: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's truly amazing that people used to think strange food items peeking out of molded Jello was elegant dining.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a chef I am not even going to comment. Lets just hope we never go back there again.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could just murder one of those individual steak puddings - whatever could anyone find wrong with that? Well, maybe apart from the satyrated fat content...

AG

(yes, that is a typo, but it's too good to correct!)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really want to bust a gut, there's The Gallery of Regrettable Food.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"First, catch your satyr..."?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From article--

"Can we just stop turning everything into loaves?"

And enough with the Jell-O everything, while you're at it?

Having said that,the banana candle? Awesome.

[ 11. January 2014, 17:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no food which isn't improved by added banana.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Tomato soup? Kippers? Eggs Benedict?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Yes please [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew, ew,ew, ew!

(In the case of the banana candle, I will admit I was primarily attracted to the mise en plate.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Nearly a dozen replies bouncing around my skull, but nary a one suited for Heaven.

ETA:And again for the cross post

[ 11. January 2014, 18:17: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing wrong with steak puddings. Putting green flavour jelly with salad and sea food is wrong, though. It needs custard!

[EDITED to remove a superfluous 's']

[ 11. January 2014, 18:34: Message edited by: Sherwood ]

Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Nearly a dozen replies bouncing around my skull, but nary a one suited for Heaven.

ETA:And again for the cross post

Seeing that Hell is the place for rants...
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell is also the place for everything included in those links. Sure this thread is not intended as an aid in weight-loss?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was the Victorians who would put anything into aspic jelly, though I vaguely remember my mother doing a savoury jelly a few times in the 1960's. Thankfully, the family reaction was enough to bring that to an end.

What I want to know is: What on earth are corn sticks? (Menu on page, Number 11).

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, in defense (?) of some of these, one of them is a wartime recipe, and, with pretty much everything rationed, I can imagine someone wanting to figure out what to do with bologna and mayonnaise, something as full of caloric value as possible. That one strikes me as a "everything edible is rationed, let's stretch what little we have as best we can" idea; when even the mayonnaise ad advises using fruit juice to make your mayonnaise last longer, you know times are a bit tough. So that one gets a pass.

As for the others, yes, they're a bit horrifying, but even Julia Child spends a good bit of time discussing molded aspics, jellies, and restuffed fishes. I guess it was just The Thing To Do back then or something? Does anyone here remember exactly why there seemed to be an obsession with gelatin and molded things back in the '70's?

ETA, due to crosspost: BL, they're small, elongated pieces of cornbread, if I'm thinking of the right thing, that often look like ears of corn when you take them out of the mold. If you like your cornbread with a bit more of a crust, they're just the thing—especially with wheat flour and sugar rationed, you'd get a very hearty, crunchy cornbread, almost to breadstick, certainly something you'd serve with a strongly flavored like stew, chilli, or, I guess, a pea, mayonnaise and bologna salad loaf.

[ 11. January 2014, 20:51: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One or two of those things seemed almost to be in the intersection between seriously weird and Heston. Like his meat oranges?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes please [Smile]
There are more than one variety of banana. Plantain with all of these please.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Alex. I am down with flu today and needed a laugh. Surprising, these did not have an effect on my stomach!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These recipes always make me glad I was born right at the end of the 70s. Although my Grandma used to make a meatloaf a bit like some of these recipes - at least it only had savoury ingredients though.

If you want to know what these meals taste like you should check out http://www.midcenturymenu.com/ where a couple called Ruth and Tom cook, eat and review the finished products.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a young bride in the 70s I was invited by our Elder to a dinner to which each was to bring a contribution. Not totally pot-luck; his wife would assign items to each of us (fair enough – as someone said on a later occasion, "So that we don't get ten pizzas").
She rang me and asked me to bring a jellied salad.
I stewed for a day or two and then phoned her and explained that I'd never made such a thing and please could I bring a green salad. To which she graciously agreed.
I don't think I'd ever seen such a thing, let alone eaten one.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child we had to endure something called "Mock Fish"

It tasted like curried wet cardboard [Projectile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a thing called "tree bread" which was made from, you guessed it, trees. Supposedly it was really good for you. High fiber. [Projectile]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
As for the others, yes, they're a bit horrifying, but even Julia Child spends a good bit of time discussing molded aspics, jellies, and restuffed fishes. I guess it was just The Thing To Do back then or something? Does anyone here remember exactly why there seemed to be an obsession with gelatin and molded things back in the '70's?

The gelatin companies were big national advertisers in the fifties. A lot of molded salads were made then. They look interesting in color magazine photography.

The seventies saw the results of the introduction of the Cuisinart Food Processor. Now food could be turned into a puree effortlessly and the shredding disks could turn a head of cabbage into strands in seconds. Foods that would have taken a lot of time to do were suddenly easy to make.

Now, I never had it, but the Ritz cracker box had a recipe for mock apple pie, made with a little lemon juice and crackers and no other fruit. That was scary.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Tomato soup?
You may jest, but the "banana hollandaise" recipe in AC's link looked frighteningly like a dish D. served to me when we were courting, except the hollandaise was replaced with - you've guessed it - tomato soup, and it was topped with grated cheese. [Eek!]

And I still married him. [Big Grin]

Having said all that, I recall with some fondness a dish my mum used to make which involved a mixture of tinned ham, sweetcorn, pineapple and mushrooms cooked in a sort of white sauce, and served with rice.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My recently-departed mother-in-law owned a set of recipe cards remarkably similar to those on that page. They are still in the spare room at her house awaiting the clearing-out. I think my wife has a set stashed in a cupboard somewhere here. Neither of them have seen any use in the last quarter of a century to my knowledge. Should we pass them on to our children as an heirloom? [Devil]
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meat loaves are really unfashionable these days, aren't they? Like quiche, just one of those things you don't see on a menu any more.

Some of those things, like the baked bananas with bacon, could actually be quite nice, it's just the unfortunate way they're presented. There's no way that a jellied salad could ever be anything than unpleasant to eat, though.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Meat loaves are really unfashionable these days, aren't they? Like quiche, just one of those things you don't see on a menu any more.

Most diners will have their "famous" meat loaf on the menu (can't say I've ever heard of a diner's meat loaf before I ate there, no matter how good it was), but I can't imagine somewhere with even the slightest pretension putting it on the menu—okay, maybe with "Asian-style ketchup and kimchi slaw" or something, but that hardly counts. It'd be putting lipstick on a pig—meat loaf isn't supposed to be fashionable, it's supposed to be hearty, filling, and delicious!

I think quiche was just made too badly one too many times and, like Lambrusco, the evil memories remain no matter how good the thing is. That said, I'm glad I know of a bakery within easy bike distance that does a good one.

[ 12. January 2014, 04:21: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, the salmon reminds me of one made for a buffet lunch at one place I once worked in. The cook had ideas, but they didn't always quite translate - the gooseberry and onion soup, the kidney and orange soup, the Marmite triple decker sandwiches made with alternate slices of brown and white bread, the spaghetti bolognaise with kidney beans which somehow managed to taste of rosewater, the triple-fried chips...

Anyway he did this whole poached salmon for a buffet lunch and proudly presented it, with a cherry for an eye, an orange in its mouth, and the whole thing basking on a bed of bright blue rice with shreds of lettuce. It was nicknamed Percy, for some reason, and was quite a talking point.

[ 12. January 2014, 04:27: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found a CA desert diner that discovered a wonderful fact: spicy, tomatoey meatloaf makes a great breakfast meat. It was yum! with eggs, hashbrowns, and a crispy, buttered muffin. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I had some meatloaf sandwich sliders the other day that were amazing.

RE; Ritz Mock Apple Pie--I remember seeing that on packages! Sounded... underwhelming.

[ 12. January 2014, 04:31: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have a recent (still in print) recipe book which suggests "an ideal dish for St Valentines Day" - "Parsnip and Erotic Banana Experience."

The ingredients include parsnips, cabbage, red peppers, maple syrup and mashed bananas.

The recipe "serves 4" - as if the recipe wasn't queasy enough, the idea of four people sharing this "erotic experience" on Valentine's Day just tips it over into [Projectile] .

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mastering the Art etc has a recipe for a rolled soufflé where the filling is crab in a light tomato sauce - a sort of Swiss Roll. It's years since I made it, but it tastes good, easy enough to make and a good first course before a range of mains. It can share the oven while it reheats with the main.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
I had some meatloaf sandwich sliders the other day that were amazing.

Leaving aside the uncomfortable nanomoment in which I read that as 'meatloaf sandwich spiders', what does the term signify to you? In my childhood, we called ice cream wafers 'sliders' because the ice-cream man would place a wafer in the bottom of a little rectangular tray, pile on the filling, top it with another wafer and then slide it out and into your hot little waiting hand. (The trick was them to hollow out the sides and suck the edges of the wafers together until you ended up with a small damp ice cream parcel).
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A slider is a mini-hamburger bun or other small round bread with something inside. Think of having three tiny burgers or sandwiches, often served with different fillings, instead of one regular sized one.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Incidentally, the salmon reminds me of one made for a buffet lunch at one place I once worked in. The cook had ideas, but they didn't always quite translate - the gooseberry and onion soup, the kidney and orange soup, the Marmite triple decker sandwiches made with alternate slices of brown and white bread, the spaghetti bolognaise with kidney beans which somehow managed to taste of rosewater, the triple-fried chips...

Anyway he did this whole poached salmon for a buffet lunch and proudly presented it, with a cherry for an eye, an orange in its mouth, and the whole thing basking on a bed of bright blue rice with shreds of lettuce. It was nicknamed Percy, for some reason, and was quite a talking point.

I've just realised why the Uk has the early 70s for some of this shit. Fanny Cradock.

Thank Christ Delia Smith came along...

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It was probably a natural development after wartime restrictions leading to the rationing in the Fifties, and the beginnings of getting adventurous and starting to play in the Sixties in this new, expansive area of peacetime.

Hell, there was a time when it was thought exotic to eat out at all, and to go and have a prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and a slice of Black Forest gateau, possibly even with a glass of Blue Nun, was accounted a pretty good meal. Quiche and pizza were still only things you had abroad, if you were affluent enough to travel overseas for holidays.

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
It was probably a natural development after wartime restrictions leading to the rationing in the Fifties, and the beginnings of getting adventurous and starting to play in the Sixties in this new, expansive area of peacetime.

Hell, there was a time when it was thought exotic to eat out at all, and to go and have a prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and a slice of Black Forest gateau, possibly even with a glass of Blue Nun, was accounted a pretty good meal. Quiche and pizza were still only things you had abroad, if you were affluent enough to travel overseas for holidays.

Oh yes - the days when OJ was viewed as a starter...
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

I have a recent (still in print) recipe book which suggests "an ideal dish for St Valentines Day" - "Parsnip and Erotic Banana Experience."

The ingredients include parsnips, cabbage, red peppers, maple syrup and mashed bananas.

The recipe "serves 4" - as if the recipe wasn't queasy enough, the idea of four people sharing this "erotic experience" on Valentine's Day just tips it over into [Projectile] .

Strangely, there's only one other reference to this one on the Internet that I can find (yes, it sounds so squicky that I just had to track it down). Of course, it's from the Ship.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's from this cook book, which is a very hit-and-a miss cookbook. I've had some great successes from it, but also some total disasters. There is a beetroot pie, which turns out a blancmange pink; your eyes tell you it should be a dessert, but it's savoury.

The parsnip erotic experience involves par-boiling whole parsnips, then cutting them almost in half lengthways, from the pointy end; this produces a "legs apart" effect. [Disappointed]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother, Sussex rural background, used (apparently, my mother never reproduced it) to serve small beetroot with white sauce. With lamb, which was also served with suet pudding cooked in the meat tin, so soaked with the meat juices. Which I have had. I've meant to try the beetroot, but somehow, the thought of the those dark blobs poking through the pinkified sauce doesn't attract.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Basically, blanche 4 cabbage leaves; boil 4 whole peeled parsnips, cook the chopped onion, chopped red pepper, lemon juice and maple syrup in butter, add the mashed bananas. Cut the parsnips to resemble legs ( [Paranoid] ), place the 4 parsnips on the 4 cabbage leaves, spoon the banana-ey mixture between the parted parsnip "legs" ( [Paranoid] ), serve to the people whose idea of Valentines Day is getting together as a foursome to experience erotic parsnips.
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Basically, blanche 4 cabbage leaves; boil 4 whole peeled parsnips, cook the chopped onion, chopped red pepper, lemon juice and maple syrup in butter, add the mashed bananas. Cut the parsnips to resemble legs ( [Paranoid] ), place the 4 parsnips on the 4 cabbage leaves, spoon the banana-ey mixture between the parted parsnip "legs" ( [Paranoid] ), serve to the people whose idea of Valentines Day is getting together as a foursome to experience erotic parsnips.

I just thought of an improvement to that recipe. It involved not mashing the banana, but perhaps adapting the idea of the banana candle.

I am filled with self-loathing now and am off to scrub my brain with carbolic soap.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sliders were originally made in the 1920's by a fast food chain called White Castle in the US which is still around. The name comes from the small white fast food restaurants that sold them.

They were small square greasy hamburgers , onion infused and placed in rolls that were steamed. People would buy them by the sack. Only recently have they become a way to serve a variety of burgers in fancier places.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Meat loaves are really unfashionable these days, aren't they? ...

Apparently not over here; there are a couple of TV cookery shows that seem to churn out some kind of meat-loaf recipe about every three months.

Can't think why. [Ultra confused]

NEQ: [Eek!] [Killing me]

Cottontail, pass that carbolic soap once you've finished with it, will you?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like retro food, done well. Things like avocado and prawn cocktail and homemade Pavlova.
I also have some vile memories of food cooked by in-laws who still operated in the 70s under the constraint of wartime rationing and also believed in boiling all vegetables to death and cremating all meat.

But one of my clearest childhood memories is visiting my grandmother in Baltimore, Maryland and eating amongst many other delicious things, her tomatoes in aspic.....

I guess I'm just a bit odd!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Odd thing, that - the boiling to death thing was taught against during the war because of the fuel shortage. OTOH, I can imagine vegetables cooked n a haybox being somewhat overdone.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
...believed in boiling all vegetables to death and cremating all meat.

A shippie once posted that her mother's first job on leaving school was in a hospital kitchen. When she arrived at 8AM, her first task was to put the cabbage on to boil for lunch.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, the canteen cook I mentioned in a previous post used to get the chips cooked by 8 am. They were set aside in a tray to cool, then heated up in hot oil for lunchtime. If you came in late to lunch, around closing time, he’d obligingly re-heat the re-heated chips in some more hot oil for you.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016