homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What were they thinking?! - Food disasters.. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What were they thinking?! - Food disasters..
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: Yes, the canteen cook I mentioned in a previous post used to get the chips cooked by 8 am. They were set aside in a tray to cool, then heated up in hot oil for lunchtime. If you came in late to lunch, around closing time, he’d obligingly re-heat the re-heated chips in some more hot oil for you.
Or in the same oil?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On this very day, Monday 13th January 2014, our office restaurant has "Sauteed Pork Coq au Vin" on the menu.

Our restaurant manager must be using this thread for inspiration.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am confused by the name "salad" for these vegetables and other stuff in various jellies. There are traditional names for such things - galantines, terrines, (in Britain those words don't neccessarily imply meat as I think they might do in carnivorous France) aspics and so on. But what on earth have they got to do with salad?

The word salad implies a dish of lots of bits of (usually) uncooked food. These are solid lumps (well, wobbly lumps) of cooked food. How is that a "salad"? You might was well call a Christmas cake a salad. It's made of lots of bits of fruit embedded in some sort of matrix. Or call pâté salad. Or soufflé.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... When she arrived at 8AM, her first task was to put the cabbage on to boil for lunch.
Moo

The head cook at the refectory of the college where I used to work did that with the pasta. [Eek!] When she was off work for six weeks having surgery, the refectory takings shot up ...

re: tomato jelly/aspic - there's someone who always brings a tomato jelly to Cathedral pot-lucks, and it's absolutely delicious.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The quite-nice-actually restaurant where we almost every day have breakfast after mass had a special omelette today which had a filling of cheddar cheese and tomato 'pudding.' There are no words appropriate to Heaven to describe this mess.
Turns out that tomato pudding was tomatoes stewed with bread cubes and sugar (and God knows what else). It looked dreadful (sort of like leftovers from surgery) and tasted much, much worse. I took two bites and sent it back to the kitchen.

In ref to the link in the OP, I can report that in my younger days I had most all of those dishes (except the one with Spam), at least once and survived to a healthy old age. (I rather fancy that erotic banana candle!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Basically, blanche 4 cabbage leaves; boil 4 whole peeled parsnips, cook the chopped onion, chopped red pepper, lemon juice and maple syrup in butter, add the mashed bananas. Cut the parsnips to resemble legs ( [Paranoid] ), place the 4 parsnips on the 4 cabbage leaves, spoon the banana-ey mixture between the parted parsnip "legs" ( [Paranoid] ), serve to the people whose idea of Valentines Day is getting together as a foursome to experience erotic parsnips.

I just thought of an improvement to that recipe. It involved not mashing the banana, but perhaps adapting the idea of the banana candle.

I am filled with self-loathing now and am off to scrub my brain with carbolic soap.

We need to hang. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't hang together you will assuredly hang separately. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The word salad implies a dish of lots of bits of (usually) uncooked food. These are solid lumps (well, wobbly lumps) of cooked food. How is that a "salad"? You might was well call a Christmas cake a salad. It's made of lots of bits of fruit embedded in some sort of matrix. Or call pâté salad. Or soufflé.

It seems you've missed out on potato salad, pasta salad, tuna salad, ham salad, egg salad, salat Oliver, salade Niçoise, Waldorf fruit salad, Watergate salad, funeral salad, rice salads, and pretty much everything listed as a "composed salad" in The Way to Cook. Also, perhaps less unfortunately, the majority of what's been given that name during mid-century fancy dinners. I've always thought it was the composition that made a salad, not the raw-ness—and the common parlance is to refer to those molded things as "molded salads" or "Jello salads." I think the Jello is thought of as something covering the salad, something adding elegance, as much as an integral ingredient to the salad itself.

[ 14. January 2014, 03:55: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Am confused by the name "salad" for these vegetables and other stuff in various jellies. There are traditional names for such things - galantines, terrines, (in Britain those words don't neccessarily imply meat as I think they might do in carnivorous France) aspics and so on. But what on earth have they got to do with salad?

Alan Bennet's definition of an English salad is a sardine lurking under a lettuce leaf.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit all those other salads you mention are bits, mostly uncooked, with maybe some sort of dressing. Not a block of jelly or paste you could slice with a knife.

And anyway, those jelly things have perfectly good names that have been in use for centuries. Why take a name from some other food in the first place?

--------------------
Ken

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bit all those other salads you mention are bits, mostly uncooked, with maybe some sort of dressing. Not a block of jelly or paste you could slice with a knife.

And anyway, those jelly things have perfectly good names that have been in use for centuries. Why take a name from some other food in the first place?

There's a name for people who eat uncooked ham or egg salad: "dead from food poisoning." I'd imagine uncooked rice salad would break teeth, and all those with potatoes or mayonnaise would really benefit from a good bit of heat—to say nothing of the fruit salads, which mostly involved canned fruits and cooked confectionary.

If it helps you any, just think of the gelatin as a substitute for really thick mayonnaise holding together everything else.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I did say "mostly"!

Its still not salad...

--------------------
Ken

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russian salad is hardly unheard of in the UK!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh shush and eat your ambrosia They're called salads because they are served as a salad course. Next you're going to be telling me that ketchup is not a vegetable.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dictionary defines a salad as "a cold dish of various mixtures of raw or cooked vegetables or herbs, usually seasoned with oil, vinegar, etc, and eaten with or including cold meat, fish, hard-boiled eggs, etc." Since then, fruit salad has been invented, and even served hot on occasion, and pasta salads have become mainstream. Having said that, they probably wouldn't be pasta salads if they were served hot with no mayonnaise and a tomato sauce instead.

I believe it was Sine who used to refer to jellied salads as "congealed salads".

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Alan Bennet's definition of an English salad is a sardine lurking under a lettuce leaf.

Stereotypically an English salad is a few limp lettuce leaves, half a tomato and a dollop of salad cream. This still exists in many pubs, usually as a sort of garnish on a plate otherwise occupied by a large portion of something fried. The luxury version is a few limp lettuce leaves, half a tomato, a dollop of salad cream, and a sprinkling of cress.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot the raw onion rings!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True. In some places they substitute a dollop of coleslaw.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raw onions are an abomination before the Lord and are specifically outlawed in the Bible - see 2 Leviticus 3, 5-7. St Paul in Romans also condemns the practice and his language makes it clear that he is condemning it for all time, not just to rituals dedicated to Daphne.

Such a clear prohibition did not stop one of the name chefs here devise a breakfast - breakfast!!! - for a domestic airline, which had smoked salmon with raw onion rings, and the then obligatory drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil at its centrepiece. The front of the plane stank barely 15 minutes out of Sydney

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Onions, raw or cooked, are what make a snack into a meal!

I'm about to buy some now to put into my salad sandwiches to take to work for tomorrows lunch.

As for "salad course" service a la Russe belongs in history books and 19th century novels. These days salads are either the whole meal, or a vegetable that goes with the main course. And either way, they ought to have onions in them. Salad without onions would be like low-alcohol lager, or mild cheddar, or non-contact rugby, or X-factor boy bands. Bland, cheap, and pointless. [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I believe it was Sine who used to refer to jellied salads as "congealed salads".

My grandmother used to call them that, and IIRC my mother did also. (My grandmother made them far more frequently.) I think it's a Southernism.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Ken, there's no prohibition on cooked onions. They're the base of any casserole from every cuisine I know of, and are useful in a wide variety of sauces. The ban is on raw onions.

If you think for a moment, what gives onions their bite? It's sulphur, and of course sulphur features in all fire and brimstone sermons. The nature of the sulphur in onions is made acceptable by cooking, but those suffering the fires of Hell will know no such comfort.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so glad to find that the abhorrence of the raw onion rings is not something I am alone in.* They are so frequent that I thought I was the only one. What about the raw peppers?
I note the absence of cucumber in the descriptions above.
*Mind you, I'm perfectly happy about spring onions, and/or chives.

[ 14. January 2014, 21:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Raw onions are an abomination before the Lord and are specifically outlawed in the Bible - see 2 Leviticus 3, 5-7. St Paul in Romans also condemns the practice and his language makes it clear that he is condemning it for all time, not just to rituals dedicated to Daphne.

But St. Paul didn't know about hamburgers. What's a hamburger without lettuce, tomato, pickle, raw onion, ketchup and cheese? Served on a nice big bun, of course. [Razz]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But St. Paul didn't know about hamburgers. What's a hamburger without lettuce, tomato, pickle, raw onion, ketchup and cheese? Served on a nice big bun, of course.

You forgot the beetroot. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you think for a moment, what gives onions their bite? It's sulphur, and of course sulphur features in all fire and brimstone sermons. The nature of the sulphur in onions is made acceptable by cooking, but those suffering the fires of Hell will know no such comfort.

Because their onions will be burnt. [Razz]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I've got this: turnip granita.
It is my mother-in-law's specialty. I've never seen the recipe, but it must be thus:

• Put turnips through a woodchipper.
  • Soften the turnip chippings slightly until they resemble damp particleboard.
  • Pack in a casserole and freeze solid, at least a week before serving.
  • When turkey or other roasted meat is withdrawn from the oven, stick the frozen solid casserole in the oven to warm from the residual heat, for about five minutes.
  • Serve in great triumph, as this is The Veg for the meal.
  • Enjoy the gritty scraping of frozen turnip against your teeth, as well as the extra turnippy bitterness that seems to be induced by this method.
  • Do this for fifty years in a row.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
You forgot the raw onion rings!

And the beetroot, especially if it's leaching its juice all over the potato salad (restaurants get 25 extra points from me if they put the beetroot into a separate bowl).

In some parts of Newfoundland they get round this problem by putting beetroot juice into the potato salad (which is always made of mashed potatoes), turning it the most alarming shade of magenta. [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least it shows a certain consistency Leaf (as well as sounding disgusting).

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beetroot coleslaw is delicious ... and pink.

Don't judge a dish by its colour.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Meat loaves are really unfashionable these days, aren't they? Like quiche, just one of those things you don't see on a menu any more.

I can guarantee 'Meat Loaf' will be on the menu at most aged care facilities. But in suburbia, one now does a 'terrine'. Often seen here in Oz during summer while the back yard bbq party & beach picnic season is in full swing.

Same thing as meat loaf, really. Except you can take a terrine Glamping, while meat loaf is for the nannas.

[ 15. January 2014, 04:02: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Beetroot coleslaw is delicious ... and pink.

Don't judge a dish by its colour.

Pink isn't really a great colour for lasagne, though. There was what used to be rather a good wine bar here, which went downhill with every change of owner. On our last visit I ordered three-bean lasagne, which sounded interesting, only to find myself confronted by a dish of bright pink pasta. The kitchen had obviously run out of beans and decided to substitute beetroot. Well, it starts with the same letter...
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ken, there's no prohibition on cooked onions. They're the base of any casserole from every cuisine I know of, and are useful in a wide variety of sauces. The ban is on raw onions.

The solution in the US is to eat raw Vidalia onions. They're grown in a place which is low in sulphur and taste sweet. It's too bad the season is so short.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
The solution in the US is to eat raw Vidalia onions. They're grown in a place which is low in sulphur and taste sweet. It's too bad the season is so short.

I have a refrigerator which is much larger than I need (25 cubic feet for one person). When Vidalia onions are in season I buy a year's supply. After about nine months some of them spoil, but I usually have enough good ones left.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

Using the word "solution" implies that there is a problem! (And all onions taste sweet. They are packed full of sucrose - plain ordinary sugar. Its just that the other wonderful flavours they have add an extra layer of complexity above and beyind the simple sweetness of a spoonfull of sugar.)

But the only problem is that finicky delicate picky-eating onion-refusers (and their cousins the garlic-refusers and leek-refusers) miss out on some of the wonderfullest-tasting foods.

The obvious one to start with is cheese and onion. One of the great taste combinations of the world. . [Yipee] And at its best it has to be good, honest, strong, mature cheese - ideally an strong Cheddar - paired with good, honest, flavourful, raw and crunchy onion. It is a sadness, if not quite a sin, to deny such harmless pleasures! One of the all time classic flavour combinations Up there with bacon and eggs, cheese and pears. fish and chips, gin and tonic, mushrooms and spinach (and cheeeeese.... though goats cheese or halloumi better for this one), peanut butter and jam, potatoes and garlic, strawberries and cream, strawberries and dark chocolate, strawberries and red wine, strawberries and cream and dark chocolate and red wine, toast and marmalade, toast and marmite, tomato and basil (pretty much anything and basil, especially if there is olive oil and garlic as well) Why would anyone want to deny themselves the glorious taste of ripe cheese and raw onion? It seems such a shame. Like never listening to Bach. [Frown] [Disappointed] [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate raw onion. I hate all onion unless it has been softened down to mush. It's a textural thing - I hate the wet crunch. Similarly I also hate cucumber and raw tomato. I'm not terribly keen on salad in general though, excepting a nicoise - I just prefer cooked vegetables to raw. My favourite vegetables are cruciferous, green, leafy vegetables which is possibly why.

I don't think I've ever listened to any Bach either....

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

In the meantime, think of those around you before you eat a raw onion sandwich at lunch. The smell is nearly as bad as that of the kim chi eaters getting onto the morning train

If you choose to disregard the clearest of Biblical teaching and eat raw onion, that is your choice and you will have to answer for it yourselves in due course. St Peter will wilt as you speak and be unable to open the pearly gates.

[ 15. January 2014, 20:12: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

My housemates have a student cookery book, published in 1993. It includes a recipe for 'lamb creole' - cream of tomato soup mixed with dried mixed herbs, poured over lamb chops and baked. Describing that as 'creole' is possibly the saddest recipe I have ever seen.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was 1993 the date of first publication? Or was it revised edition? I study the bibliographic information on cookbooks keenly, because it's a clue to evolving fashions in British food. Firstly, it will (in those days) have taken a year or so to reach print; the authors will have been (you hope) established chefs whose style will have been established maybe a decade or so previously. By these means I can see how a quintessentially '70s recipe ended up being published in the early 90s.

We have - or had - a Marguerite Patton cookbook which was published in the 60s, but in fact reflected the cuisine of the 40s with recipes for Whole Roasted Spam and something that consisted of cold mashed potato topped with cream cheese and cornflakes.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A local specialty (SE Penna: Amish, Brethren, Mennonite- or just plain German origin) is "beet eggs". Hard boil eggs, peel, put into a big jar of pickled beets and sliced onions. Let soak at least a whole day. Beautiful beet color leached into the egg white, and into the onions too. Delicious. When you buy them at a market stand you're always asked "Do you want beets too, or not?"

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Was 1993 the date of first publication? Or was it revised edition? I study the bibliographic information on cookbooks keenly, because it's a clue to evolving fashions in British food. Firstly, it will (in those days) have taken a year or so to reach print; the authors will have been (you hope) established chefs whose style will have been established maybe a decade or so previously. By these means I can see how a quintessentially '70s recipe ended up being published in the early 90s.

We have - or had - a Marguerite Patton cookbook which was published in the 60s, but in fact reflected the cuisine of the 40s with recipes for Whole Roasted Spam and something that consisted of cold mashed potato topped with cream cheese and cornflakes.

1993 was the date of first publication, which surprised me somewhat too. Certainly by 1993, tastes were more sophisticated than that!

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

This is the book in question. 1993 is indeed the date of publication.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I see it is aimed at students - hence the tinned stuff (I notice from the index there's quite a few things you can do with baked beans as well).

I think that's what gives it the dated feel. It's not that we don't use tinned food, but ISTM it's for different categories of food - pulses, say, or tomatoes - not for sauces or desserts.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my son went to Uni, I offered him my student cookbook, Marguerite Patten's Bedsitter Cookery. However , a quick glance showed that it was hopelessly out of date. One recipe, for Goulash, reads "Open a small tin of tomatoes, blend with 1-2 teaspoons paprika in a saucepan and heat with a can of stewed steak. Served with heated canned spaghetti."

Many of the "cheap" fish dishes would not be cheap at today's prices, and the "cheap" meat products recommended - sweetbreads and offal - not readily available today.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Many of the "cheap" fish dishes would not be cheap at today's prices, and the "cheap" meat products recommended - sweetbreads and offal - not readily available today.

My tattered Betty Crocker cookbook, vintage WW2, advises, "If chicken is too expensive, you may substitute veal". There are also plenty of 'creative' molded salad recipes, most of which contain plenty of shredded cabbage.

(Code fixed)

[ 16. January 2014, 15:21: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
My housemates have a student cookery book, published in 1993. It includes a recipe for 'lamb creole' - cream of tomato soup mixed with dried mixed herbs, poured over lamb chops and baked. Describing that as 'creole' is possibly the saddest recipe I have ever seen.

Be grateful it isn't described as "Provencale".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It will be.
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG, that page made me nauseous!

Making your food into shape, nor adding the word "salad" or "casserole" does not make it appetizing!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The most discouraging word for any savoury dish is the suffix "bake".

Moussaka, Lasagna, Shepherd's pie and Cauliflower cheese are all "bake"s but no one would ever label them thus. "Bake" in this context indicates "a contrived recipe to fill space in the duller kind of women's magazine". Just so long as it stays on the page, that's OK, just don't feed them to me. They are to cooking what Tuesday is to the week, and I'm sure you all know what I think of Tuesdays.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Another ominous word in the name of a dish is 'Surprise'. Usually code for 'not a terribly good idea'.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

So the final winner would be something like "Spaghetti Bake Surprise Provencale"?

--------------------
Ken

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016