homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What were they thinking?! - Food disasters.. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What were they thinking?! - Food disasters..
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, syntactically, the Surprise should come at the beginning, before Bake, or right at the end.
A tin of spaghetti in tomato sauce, with added sliced courgette, topped with breadcrumbs and dried mixed herbs?
I don't think our worst school dinner would quite do it. Overcooked spam fritters with tinned spag, and beetroot, bottled in vinegar so all the colour had gone to join the choir invisible.

[ 17. January 2014, 11:51: Message edited by: Penny S ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our worst school dinner dish was the so-called custard. It still makes me feel sick thinking about it. even though it is over forty-five years since I last saw any of it.

One day me and my brother both vomited it up at the same meal. No more than it deserved.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
So the final winner would be something like "Spaghetti Bake Surprise Provencale"?

Recipe:

Ingredients:

Two tins value Spaghetti in tomato sauce
Mixed herbs
Capers

Put the spaghetti with 1 tsp mixed herbs and as many capers as the family can stand in a dish that ought to have Shepherd's pie in it.

Place in a oven at Gas mark 5 until solid as a rock.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The real Spaghetti Bake Surprise Provencal is the one with all the foregoing ingredients. Plus bananas.

Not to be confused with Hawaiian Pasta Delight*, which has pineapple.

*another word to back away from.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
A tin of spaghetti in tomato sauce.

Our school cafeteria ladies would slice frankfurters into penny-size disks and mix them in with the tinned spaghetti. They actually ran a contest for a name to call the resulting concoction. The name that won? "Pennies From Heaven" [Projectile]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Our worst school dinner dish was the so-called custard. It still makes me feel sick thinking about it. even though it is over forty-five years since I last saw any of it.

Is that the super economy custard, made so thin it ran like water and had bubbles in so that it looked soapy with a lather. I don't think it could be watered down any further.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

Is that the super economy custard, made so thin it ran like water and had bubbles in so that it looked soapy with a lather. I don't think it could be watered down any further.
Or the one that's so thick that it comes out of the (shiny metal water) jug in a single lump. If it's yellow it's definitely custard, but if it's brown it could be gravy. *shudders*

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And people wondered why I refused point blank to eat school dinners [Projectile]

[ 17. January 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Kitten ]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

Or the one that's so thick that it comes out of the (shiny metal water) jug in a single lump. If it's yellow it's definitely custard, but if it's brown it could be gravy. *shudders*
If you were lucky there was pink custard too, usually served with sponge cake. There is a vague recollection of a white vanilla custard, served with chocolate sponge.

My memories of school dinners is that school 'custard', whatever the colour, texture or viscosity, was the least of the problem.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids' primary school had a problem with one of their puddings, and rounded up several mothers to taste and decide if the pudding was, in fact, inedible.

It was deep fried coconut ice-cream, but the cook had deep fried the ice-cream in the same fat as yesterday's fish.

We confirmed that the school could not possibly expect any of their pupils to eat it. It's one of the most revolting things I've ever tasted.

ETA to add - my school dinners were lovely, and the fishy deep-fried ice cream was a rare aberration on the part of my kids' school, where the standard was generally high.

[ 18. January 2014, 09:18: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
My kids' primary school had a problem with one of their puddings, and rounded up several mothers to taste and decide if the pudding was, in fact, inedible.

It was deep fried coconut ice-cream, but the cook had deep fried the ice-cream in the same fat as yesterday's fish.

We confirmed that the school could not possibly expect any of their pupils to eat it. It's one of the most revolting things I've ever tasted.

ETA to add - my school dinners were lovely, and the fishy deep-fried ice cream was a rare aberration on the part of my kids' school, where the standard was generally high.

Deep-fried ice cream being served in the UK is pretty unusual in itself! Far be it for me to perpetuate stereotypes about Scotland, but when the shoe fits.... [Biased]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once shared a flat with someone who cooked everything - REALLY - in soup.

Worst ever: greased dish into which had been emptied:
2 tins sardines in tomato sauce
1 tin sweetcorn
1 tin spaghetti hoops
1 tin new potatoes
half teaspoon so-called herbes de Provence
1 tin mulligatawny soup
topping of grated Edam and breadcrumbs

The smell was bad enough - God knows what it tasted like, but the guest recipient was never seen again.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a cookery book - or had (I'm in bed and not checking) called "The I Hate To Cook Book" by an American writer - remembered, Peg Bracken. The bits in between recipes are great fun. There's a very good eggless chocolate cake. But she did a lot of cooking things in soup.
From which I have taken the idea of Condensed Cream of Celery, Chicken or Mushroom as a binding agent for leftover poultry, on occasion. With added veggies. But not tomato, or, bless us and save us, mulligatawny.
The sardines reminds me of a cartoon in a Girl annual, involving a character called Lettice Leafe, and a dish of sardines in chocolate sauce. Not quite as edible as fish fingers in custard, I feel.

[ 18. January 2014, 17:03: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me, when out shopping recently, I noticed breakfast in a tin. This is baked beans, sausages, mushrooms, chopped pork and egg nuggets with cereal, and bacon. You just empty the whole lot into a pot or microwave it and there you are.

It was the idea of the cereal along with everything else that sort of tipped the balance for me. It wasn't immediately clear whether it was included as a course in its own right or a binding ingredient, but I suppose the logic is it all gets mixed up in your stomach anyway.

Cooking with soup used to be quite popular (though I still struggle to get my head around the idea).

[ 18. January 2014, 17:08: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

If there were sausagey nuggets, there would be cereal in the filling, as rusk.
I suppose the soup thing came before the custom made sauces for pasta, chicken and so on, of which there are now many shelves in the supermarkets. But whereas the condensed soup can be used as sauce or soup, the sauces can't be used as soup. (Though that might be the way to use up the container of tomato sauce that I had for when a friend came and I changed my mind at the last minute and went to the chippy.)

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

Deep-fried ice cream being served in the UK is pretty unusual in itself! Far be it for me to perpetuate stereotypes about Scotland, but when the shoe fits.... [Biased]
I have eaten deep fried green tea ice cream in a nice Japanese restaurant locally. It was lovely too.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deep-fried ice-cream is a standard dessert time on the menus of Chinese restaurants in Oz. Very popular with children of many ages.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
So the final winner would be something like "Spaghetti Bake Surprise Provencale"?

Recipe:

Ingredients:

Two tins value Spaghetti in tomato sauce
Mixed herbs
Capers

Put the spaghetti with 1 tsp mixed herbs and as many capers as the family can stand in a dish that ought to have Shepherd's pie in it.

Place in a oven at Gas mark 5 until solid as a rock.

The US composer William Bolcom wrote an encore piece for his wife Joan Morris(?), which had the recurring refrain 'Lime Jello, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese Surprise'. After a lengthy spiel of increasingly bizarre verses, she ended by saying brightly, 'Take more. I made heaps!'

Another artiste seen recently on Youtube, portrayed a Texas matron extolling her 'Tater Tot Hot Dish'. (I did NOT make that one up!) I think, though I'm not sure, that the performer was a man in drag.
(In case Tater Tots aren't yet exported (and I hope they're not) they are small cylinders maybe a half inch across and a half inch high, which are supposed to be potatoes, pre-cooked so you can just 'hot them up.' IIRC the TTHD had cream of mushroom soup as a major ingredient. (It would, wouldn't it?)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If there were sausagey nuggets, there would be cereal in the filling, as rusk.
I suppose the soup thing came before the custom made sauces for pasta, chicken and so on, of which there are now many shelves in the supermarkets. But whereas the condensed soup can be used as sauce or soup, the sauces can't be used as soup. (Though that might be the way to use up the container of tomato sauce that I had for when a friend came and I changed my mind at the last minute and went to the chippy.)

The cooking in soup still persists in some places. Mr ACG (who is currently out with the forces) informed me that they had 'Hungarian Goulash' the other day. This delightful dish consisted of chopped up hot dog in cream of mushroom soup. This being a step up from the 'surprise' that was leftover chicken, hamburger and spaghetti that was chopped up and served on a plate together. [Projectile]

Apparently they largely survive on the care packages from home and fantasizing about home cooked meals.

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... she did a lot of cooking things in soup ...

We bought a slow-cooker a few years ago and as neither of us had lived with one before we followed up the purchase with a huge slow-cooker cookbook by an American called Phyllis Pellman Good. Judging from the recipes, it seems that she more-or-less thinks it's impossible to make anything in a slow-cooker without adding a tin of some sort of condensed soup (usually chicken or mushroom).

Oh yes, and it's got about 50 recipes for chilli con carne.

On the subject of monikers to be avoided, I find myself instantly skipping past any recipes with "Mom's", or worse still, "Mom's Favorite"* in the title.

* My apologies for the spelling. [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Another artiste seen recently on Youtube, portrayed a Texas matron extolling her 'Tater Tot Hot Dish'. (I did NOT make that one up!) I think, though I'm not sure, that the performer was a man in drag.
(In case Tater Tots aren't yet exported (and I hope they're not) they are small cylinders maybe a half inch across and a half inch high, which are supposed to be potatoes, pre-cooked so you can just 'hot them up.' IIRC the TTHD had cream of mushroom soup as a major ingredient. (It would, wouldn't it?)

Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like it'd necessarily be half bad, if you got fresh enough tater tots—perhaps score a few from Sonic or something. Tots are just fried potatoes, after all; is a crust of mashed potatoes on a shepherd's pie holy and good, but diced and fried ones on hot dish or casserole an abomination?

As for those of you who are shocked—shocked!—that someone would use cream of mushroom soup in their best recipes, get thee hither to your local Lutheran church basement potluck, where you'll get to sample all sorts of delights (including several featuring some combination of tater tots, canned green beans, tins of tuna, and/or potato chips and, for the fancy versions, topped with French-fried onions) made with the venerable Lutheran Binder. I'm guessing far more people associate the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America with hotdish and fear of the spicy ketchup than any debate on nature and grace.

As a side note, the only reason I provided that Wikipedia link is for the two pictures it shows as examples of hotdish. Note the topping, georgiaboy.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was gonna say- don't knock tater tots. I make a mean chili dog tater tot casserole, on the rare occasions I decide my arteries need a death threat

Oh, and many thanks, Ariston, for verifying the sacramental nature of cream of mushroom soup in the Lutheran community.

[ 19. January 2014, 03:55: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you only bust out the crispy onions when the Queen is coming.

[ 19. January 2014, 03:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the Encyclopedia Brittanica have an entry for hot dish?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I once shared a flat with someone who cooked everything - REALLY - in soup.

Worst ever: greased dish into which had been emptied:
2 tins sardines in tomato sauce
1 tin sweetcorn
1 tin spaghetti hoops
1 tin new potatoes
half teaspoon so-called herbes de Provence
1 tin mulligatawny soup
topping of grated Edam and breadcrumbs

The smell was bad enough - God knows what it tasted like, but the guest recipient was never seen again.

Ahh - from the same culinary school as my mother-in-law, although the Herbes de Provence, mulligatawny soup and Edam would be out of the question (far too exotic), as would the breadcrumbs (too much trouble).

How about slices of leftover Christmas Pudding covered in the lemon part of a lemon meringue pie mix? Any takers?

Oh, and cutlery... if a dish contains meat it is eaten with steak knives and forks. Have you ever tried to eat mince (just mince in an indeterminate brown sauce that isn't gravy or tomato sauce) with a steak fork?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm the only British person who has ever enjoyed TTC....

(we do get tater tots here although they're usually called 'potato crunchies' or similar, and you get them in down-at-heel freezer shops like Farmfoods)

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That's a new UK restaurant venue concept waiting to happen. Someone alert Ramsey.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Another artiste seen recently on Youtube, portrayed a Texas matron extolling her 'Tater Tot Hot Dish'.… IIRC the TTHD had cream of mushroom soup as a major ingredient. (It would, wouldn't it?)

Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like it'd necessarily be half bad, if you got fresh enough tater tots—perhaps score a few from Sonic or something. Tots are just fried potatoes, after all; is a crust of mashed potatoes on a shepherd's pie holy and good, but diced and fried ones on hot dish or casserole an abomination?

As for those of you who are shocked—shocked!—that someone would use cream of mushroom soup in their best recipes, get thee hither to your local Lutheran church basement potluck, where you'll get to sample all sorts of delights (including several featuring some combination of tater tots, canned green beans, tins of tuna, and/or potato chips and, for the fancy versions, topped with French-fried onions) made with the venerable Lutheran Binder. I'm guessing far more people associate the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America with hotdish and fear of the spicy ketchup than any debate on nature and grace.

As a side note, the only reason I provided that Wikipedia link is for the two pictures it shows as examples of hotdish. Note the topping, georgiaboy.

Allright, okay, but, but, but,

My only experience with 'tater tots' has been in distinctly sub-par cafeteria service.
AND
My only exposure to 'hotdish' has been Garrison Keillor's explication of Minnesota-style Lutheranism, so my impression was that it was always tuna.

Am I forgiven?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
How about slices of leftover Christmas Pudding covered in the lemon part of a lemon meringue pie mix? Any takers?

I hate to tell you but one common sauce used with Christmas Pudding over here is in fact a hot lemon sauce. Not exactly the lemon part of a lemon meringue pie mix, but I can see (and shudder as I do so) how someone used to the hot lemon might take a shortcut.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
That's a new UK restaurant venue concept waiting to happen. Someone alert Ramsey.

Or - Heaven forfend! - Heston Blumenthal, who'll probably cook them in chocolate with powdered gold sprinkled on the top and charge £100 a pop.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Fried ice cream takes many forms - if it is in any form of batter it is best avoided but if it is frozen brick hard then rolled in freshly grated coconut before flash frying it is wonderfully delicious. Sadly the bad is far, far, far easier to find than the good.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's another version of fried ice cream. A ball of softened ice cream is rolled in puffed rice cereal and frozen hard. It lacks the greasiness of a fried batter, but is a good simulation especially with the distraction of chocolate syrup.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My only experience with 'tater tots' has been in distinctly sub-par cafeteria service.
AND
My only exposure to 'hotdish' has been Garrison Keillor's explication of Minnesota-style Lutheranism, so my impression was that it was always tuna.

Am I forgiven?

Hmph. Ignorance is no excuse…except this time. Get thee to a Sonic and order ye some tots; don't even bother taking them anywhere, they have to be absolutely hot and fresh or else you'll never Get It.

As for tuna…that's the weird thing. I thought that too—tuna noodle casserole being the standby—but, after moving east/slightly north, it's become more hamburger and green bean based. Is this a Missouri Synod/Evangelical Lutheran split? Is the way you prepare your one-baking-dish meal for church more indicative of your churchmanship than hooch preference (especially if you're in a part of the country that doesn't drink)? Should we start comparing tuna noodle to tater tot hot dish to Hawaiian haystacks to Methodist meatloaf? Does this way madness lie?

Tune in next week.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

AND

Am I forgiven?

Hmph. Ignorance is no excuse…except this time. Get thee to a Sonic and order ye some tots; don't even bother taking them anywhere, they have to be absolutely hot and fresh or else you'll never Get It.

As for tuna…that's the weird thing. I thought that too—tuna noodle casserole being the standby—but, after moving east/slightly north, it's become more hamburger and green bean based. Is this a Missouri Synod/Evangelical Lutheran split? Is the way you prepare your one-baking-dish meal for church more indicative of your churchmanship than hooch preference (especially if you're in a part of the country that doesn't drink)? Should we start comparing tuna noodle to tater tot hot dish to Hawaiian haystacks to Methodist meatloaf? Does this way madness lie?

Tune in next week.

Hawaiian haystacks? I'm scared to ask.

You may enjoy this. Hurrah for outdated social networking!

[ 20. January 2014, 12:56: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

From allrecipies:
quote:
Hawaiian haystacks are ready in less than 30 minutes and are a fun way to use up leftover rice, chicken, veggies, and coconut for a weeknight dinner.
I did not read further.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
quote:

From allrecipies:
quote:
Hawaiian haystacks are ready in less than 30 minutes and are a fun way to use up leftover rice, chicken, veggies, and coconut for a weeknight dinner.
I did not read further.

Fun things you learn about working at a Boy Scout camp: the Hawaiian haystack is the LDS equivalent of Lutheran hotdish, and saying you've never even heard of them, much less had them, and (furthermore) didn't know fry sauce was a legit thing rather than some flawed experiment you saw in a Utah Micky D's while mountain biking once will get almost as many Baffled Looks from your BYU-educated cook as your explanations for how to make iced tea.
Short explanation, as she put it: make piles of white rice on everybody's plate. Put shredded chicken, chow mein noodles, chopped vegetables, coconut, soy sauce, and pineapple into small bowls in the middle of the table. Everybody piles whatever they want onto their rice, which, once the noodles and shredded coconut are on top, look like haystacks.
There's something about them—I think the faux Polynesian flair from canned pineapple—that reminds me of the era of Jello salads.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hon? There's a reason I didn't read further.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

You're reading the thread on Jello salads, and that's what sends you to the Branca Brothers' Brain Bleach?

[ 22. January 2014, 02:52: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Weirdly enough. I hate coconut. And pineapple, in a savoury dish.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ariston, your "fry sauce" sounds rather like the sauce that is de riguer on that great British starter, the prawn cocktail: add tomato ketchup to mayonnaise* until you achieve the desired degree of pinkness, add a few drops each of Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and lemon juice and a shake or two of paprika (or was it cayenne?) to taste. I'd never have thought about dipping chips (fries) in it, but I bet it'd be rather good. [Hot and Hormonal]

* Back in the 70s, this might well have been replaced with salad cream ... [Eek!]

eta: Bugger it, now I want a prawn cocktail. [Frown]

[ 22. January 2014, 03:34: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Ariston, your "fry sauce" sounds rather like the sauce that is de riguer on that great British starter, the prawn cocktail: add tomato ketchup to mayonnaise* until you achieve the desired degree of pinkness, add a few drops each of Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and lemon juice and a shake or two of paprika (or was it cayenne?) to taste. I'd never have thought about dipping chips (fries) in it, but I bet it'd be rather good. [Hot and Hormonal]

I do dip my chippyfries in something very similar, and it rocks.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

Pineapple has its uses. Pineapple juice makes a brilliant marinade for pork. If you can inject the juice it is even better and almost halves the cooking time. Lime is good too, but you need a lot of limes.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

...make piles of white rice on everybody's plate. Put shredded chicken, chow mein noodles, chopped vegetables, coconut, soy sauce, and pineapple into small bowls in the middle of the table. Everybody piles whatever they want onto their rice, which, once the noodles and shredded coconut are on top, look like haystacks.

That sounds like perfectly normal South-East Asian/Indian Ocean food. With fresh coconut and pineapple of course.

How did it get to be standard fare in lilywhite Utah, on top of a plateau, in the middle of a desert, over five hundred miles from the sea?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Tinned pineapple often gets used and is too sweet. Fresh, tangy pineapple works better.

Having said that, I have a semi-permanent addiction to Chinese roast duck in plum sauce, which often comes with tinned pineapple. It isn't something I can really explain.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

How did it get to be standard fare in lilywhite Utah, on top of a plateau, in the middle of a desert, over five hundred miles from the sea?

(sigh). Ken,ken, ken. Leftover take-out!

[ 22. January 2014, 17:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone here remember exactly why there seemed to be an obsession with gelatin and molded things back in the '70's?

I thought this thread was about food, not bras and coiffures ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the primary EnZed "bring your own" dishes of choice is potato bake which I confess I find most pleasant (as indeed I find grated cheese and raw onion sandwiches).

But while I blanche at the opening link, I don't go in for this artyfarty "Twice-baked (what, you got it wrong first time?) Poofled Gorgonzola and Buffalo Bocconcini Soufflé Served with a Compost of Beetroot and Mongolian Radish and Drizzle of Tiger Sperm Dressing" that seems to plague menus and recipe books these days.

[Disappointed]

[ 22. January 2014, 18:42: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Fry sauce is basically thousand island dressing - not a million miles away from tartar sauce, which is obviously delicious with chips. It reminds me a lot of various mayo-based sauces eaten with chips in Belgium. Mmm sauce andalouse.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Clarification - by tartar sauce I mean French/British tartar sauce, not the American style - I find the use of pickle relish unpleasant and miss the capers and tarragon.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A lot of prepared thousand island dressings use sweet pickle relish as well. I don't get the obsession with relish. Especially sweet relish.

[ 22. January 2014, 20:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016