homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What were they thinking?! - Food disasters.. (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What were they thinking?! - Food disasters..
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
One of the primary EnZed "bring your own" dishes of choice is potato bake which I confess I find most pleasant ...

That looks like what I knew as 'pernackelty' growing up but is also called Pan Haggerty. A good Geordie (NE England) dish. Whenever I try to make it it's never as good as my mother's though.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two of my DILs make this much better than it do. Long cooking to ensure everything is cooked is the key.

One 70s recipe I remember was based on a large can of tuna well drained.

Add a bunch of finely chopped parsley, the more the merrier. A can of crushed pineapple also drained.

Stir all this through a 300 ml carton of thick sour cream. Place all in a bowl and top with a packet of what were then called French fries or straws.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Add a bunch of finely chopped parsley, the more the merrier. A can of crushed pineapple also drained.

Stir all this through a 300 ml carton of thick sour cream. Place all in a bowl and top with a packet of what were then called French fries or straws.

You left out the last bit: Throw in bin.

I think tuna and pineapple has to be up there with kippers and strawberry jam.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Allright, okay, but, but, but,

My only experience with 'tater tots' has been in distinctly sub-par cafeteria service.
AND
My only exposure to 'hotdish' has been Garrison Keillor's explication of Minnesota-style Lutheranism, so my impression was that it was always tuna.

Am I forgiven?

Hmph. Ignorance is no excuse…except this time. Get thee to a Sonic and order ye some tots; don't even bother taking them anywhere, they have to be absolutely hot and fresh or else you'll never Get It.

As for tuna…that's the weird thing. I thought that too—tuna noodle casserole being the standby—but, after moving east/slightly north, it's become more hamburger and green bean based. Is this a Missouri Synod/Evangelical Lutheran split? Is the way you prepare your one-baking-dish meal for church more indicative of your churchmanship than hooch preference (especially if you're in a part of the country that doesn't drink)? Should we start comparing tuna noodle to tater tot hot dish to Hawaiian haystacks to Methodist meatloaf? Does this way madness lie?

Tune in next week.

Raised evangelical in western Canada. It was physically impossible to have a church potluck sans Shipwreck or Pineapple Delight. When I were a wee lass and it was announced in church that we would repair to the basement for "fellowship", I always assumed that was some adult code word for Pineapple Delight.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Clarification - by tartar sauce I mean French/British tartar sauce, not the American style - I find the use of pickle relish unpleasant and miss the capers and tarragon.

Ah! Thank you, you have just explained what is wrong with tartar sauce over here. I thought that I had got a faulty batch, but now it all makes sense!

Sadly though, this means despite living in shrimp central (you can get it straight off the boat here) I am doomed to sub-par dipping sauces for the little beasties [Frown]

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

You left out the last bit: Throw in bin.

I think tuna and pineapple has to be up there with kippers and strawberry jam.

I have vague memories that this did not taste as bad as I would find it now.

As for kippers and jam... Evening meal on Sunday was usually attended by a large number of hungry teenagers before church.

I would make several loaves of toast and prepare large amounts of food to go on it. Sliced cold meats, mashed boiled eggs, tomatoes, jam and heaps more.

My young sons loved all this because they had freedom of choice. The only rule was that if you put it on the toast, you ate it. So middle son found himself eating toast, peanut butter, cucumber,raspberry jam and curried egg.

I come from a family which is used to mixtures others find intriguing, even disgusting, but even this was too much for me. He ate it quite happily.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kinda funny... I loved/love quiche and still see it around at the Dekalb Farmers Market, here in Decatur, GA. Expensive still, and trendy. Meatloaf? Yuck! I have hated meatloaf since I was a child and had to endure my mother's "concept" of meatloaf: Ground beef with some bread crumbs and chopped onions. Maybe a dash of salt and pepper. Nothing else. Dry as an old leather shoe and about as tasty.

Only once in my forty-six years on this planet have I had a meatloaf I actually enjoyed and that was at a church picnic. A church I no longer attend, alas.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
georgiaboy: My late mother made a dish once that was pretty disgusting if one thought about it... and I did, later. After I had thrown it up for a few hours. Anyway, it had tater tots, green peppers, onions, caraway seeds, and cut up hot dogs. It was a baked casserole and I thought I liked it--but my stomach didn't like it and for years afterward, I couldn't bear the thought of a caraway seed. I'm still not overly fond of them or of hot dogs...

Even as I type this, I feel myself wanting to gag.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is the inbuilt intelligence which we share with rats. Food associated with being sick gets the revulsion factor automatically attached. I read a piece in New Scientist, in which the author referred back to an occasion when he had had an upset from sunstroke after having eaten watermelon, and for years couldn't face the stuff, though it was innocent.
This made it clear for me what had happened after my first foray into a MacDonalds. I'd been shopping in London with disturbed eating pattern, and came upon the one near Charing Cross. Massive queues, and the jingle running non-stop. I couldn't finish the milk shake after the Big Mac and fries, all the flavours seeming very intense. By the time I walked out, I had the migraine I had been cooking up all day, complete with sickness. For years I couldn't walk past the arches without feeling queasy, and everytime the advertisement came on the TV, the same. Useful instinct, that.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

That is the inbuilt intelligence which we share with rats. Food associated with being sick gets the revulsion factor automatically attached.

40 years after my last school dinner I still can't willingly eat custard. Even though I like the taste!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness. I actually got over the Big Mac thing - then allowing normal good taste to take over.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Food associated with being sick gets the revulsion factor automatically attached. I read a piece in New Scientist, in which the author referred back to an occasion when he had had an upset from sunstroke after having eaten watermelon, and for years couldn't face the stuff, though it was innocent.

I can't stand Eggland's Best Eggs for that reason. The only time I ate them I was recovering from surgery and taking painkillers which made me vomit. (Eggland's Best hens are fed a special diet, and the eggs have a distinctive flavor.)

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomato sauce is always a bit borderline. I can't pin it down to any one occasion - rather, when young and poor and not much of a cook, tinned tomatoes tended to go in things a lot. So if you were throwing up, the chances of it being on an ill-considered spag bol were quite high. Or maybe it's a variant of the Billy Connolly line - 'there's always diced carrots in it'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for kippers and jam... Evening meal on Sunday was usually attended by a large number of hungry teenagers before church.

I would make several loaves of toast and prepare large amounts of food to go on it. Sliced cold meats, mashed boiled eggs, tomatoes, jam and heaps more.

My young sons loved all this because they had freedom of choice. The only rule was that if you put it on the toast, you ate it. So middle son found himself eating toast, peanut butter, cucumber,raspberry jam and curried egg.

I come from a family which is used to mixtures others find intriguing, even disgusting, but even this was too much for me. He ate it quite happily.

We did something similar at vacation care recently. We put out bread and lots of different salad choices, ham and cheese (the processed slices sort) and the kids could choose their toppings. We also had strawberry jam in case anyone fussy just wanted a jam sandwich.

One of the kids had strawberry jam with cheese, ham, mayonnaise and beetroot. Thank goodness someone had stolen our vegemite or he probably would have added that too.

We often do cooking with the kids too. The recipes have to be fairly simple, and some definitely fall in the 'what were they thinking category?' Today was a picnic day and I was in charge of the Sail boat Sandwiches .
Not too stomach turning (although again we used processed slices instead of swiss cheese), but some of the kids complained about the hummus and asked if they could eat 'normal' sandwiches so I made up some with the leftovers. My shift finished before the picnic so I never got to try them and see if they were any good.

Hummus seems to be a go to ingredient in Australia. It's not fashionable any more but is ubiquitous as a dip, as is tzatziki. Trendy dips that have stayed popular for now.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... it's a variant of the Billy Connolly line - 'there's always diced carrots in it'.

There's an anthem for days like that:

Ubi caritas - everywhere there are carrots [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That is the inbuilt intelligence which we share with rats. Food associated with being sick gets the revulsion factor automatically attached.

I have this reaction to raspberry ripple ice cream. Around fifty years after having it and then throwing up at a childrens' party, the thought of it still makes me heave.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
There is no food which isn't improved by added banana.

Back in grad school I lived in a house where we shared cooking duties. A couple years before I moved in (and so I did not taste this) Jim, whose usual approach was to just buy what looked good and put it together, created a dish that was infamously bad: he tried baking a casserole with bananas and eggplant. Everyone at the table excused themselves after a single bite. Susan said, "It was just like eating snot."

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

I have this reaction to raspberry ripple ice cream. Around fifty years after having it and then throwing up at a childrens' party, the thought of it still makes me heave.
Egg custard with a scant sprinkle of cinnamon - a typical children's dessert in hospitals. Looks nice on top, but a spoon discovers watery, undercooked egg bits underneath. Nearly 60 years on, it still makes me heave at the thought.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My aunt once made an asparagus quiche for my great-aunt, who had invited us round. They were both sticklers for the "You eat what's on your plate and like it and don't complain" approach so I knew if I accepted anything, I had to finish it. Not having tried asparagus before, I accepted a piece and immediately regretted it. The asparagus chunks looked like large chunks of bronchial phlegm with a slimy consistency that made me struggle not to gag.

Somehow I forced this down without complaint and politely declined a second helping. My aunt had explained that my great-aunt didn't have much money and she'd wanted to treat her to something she didn't normally have. I was alone in not liking it: the rest of the family ate it with appreciation and complimented my aunt, and as my aunt was normally quite a good cook it may be that there really was nothing wrong with it. But it put me off asparagus for years.

[ 01. February 2014, 09:48: Message edited by: Ariel ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I right in thinking that in Erican "Swiss cheese" doesn't mean cheese from Switzerland but generic bland pale yellow semi-hard cheese with holes in it? And if so its only one step up from "processed slices" which are surely punishment rations?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely right Ken.

Erican 'swiss cheese' is claimed to taste like Emmentaler - so not great to start with. But the Erican take on the product is vile.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016