homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wedding Photos (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wedding Photos
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of this prompted me to dig out my parents' wedding pix. Mother's dress was heavy white satin, high neck with a sort of ruffled collar, and long sleeves, with some sort of trim at the cuff, can't quite see it in the picture. She was only a bit over 5 ft tall, so the finish of the hem made for a rather grand train. Her sister, the only bridesmaid, wore a deep blue velvet gown which she made herself, with a bateau(?) neckline and short sleeves. Both carried enormous bouquets of roses, at least 18 inches tall, with trailing ribbons with rosebuds at the ends. These modern bridal flowers with bare stems showing just don't measure up, IMNSHO!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made my dress in 1973, it cost £10, the bridesmaids wore Laura Ashley dresses st 3/11 a yard also made by me. And we have no photographs because the 'friend' who promised to take them arrived late, and husband's father forgot to put any film in the camera. All we have are three or four 'snapshots' which random guests happened to take. I'm still quite cross after 40 years.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can remember being amazed at seeing a rather trendy relative's wedding photos - there she was in Dame Edna glasses and a wedding mini-dress! The trouble with being trendy is that your choice starts to look extremely dated almost immediately.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shorter wedding dresses are surely quite normal?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother got married in a mini-dress in the late 60s. Her excuse was that everyone wore mini-skirts then and you couldn't really opt out. She wouldn't be very impressed if I started wearing them, though!
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
My mother got married in a mini-dress in the late 60s. Her excuse was that everyone wore mini-skirts then and you couldn't really opt out. She wouldn't be very impressed if I started wearing them, though!

My mother got married in a beige leather jacket and mini-skirt combo, with black hair down almost to her waist. (In a registry office, I might add).

Her two older sisters were both married in knee-length dresses which were really just white versions of a dress which might have been worn to go out to dinner, or something, at the time. Younger sister got married, a few years later, in a VERY mini dress, in white, with the most astonishing sort of white gladiator sandals, the straps of which came nearly up to her knees...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should add, this thread is making me feel rather young - I got married in 2000, which I think is later than anyone else here has confessed to. When I look back at our photos, I think they are holding up pretty well so far. There were no really unusual hairstyles on display, and, of the six members of the bridal party, the four who are myopic all elected to wear contacts for the day. The styling of the groomsmen's waistcoats is perhaps getting a little dated, but I think my dress has (and will continue to) hold up well, largely because it is not a style that has ever been recognisably 'in', as far as I'm aware.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
the four who are myopic all elected to wear contacts for the day.

What's wrong with glasses?

I don't wear them myself, but (TMI alert) find them quite sexy.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankfully, although married in disco era, we were not so attired. We were more granola. Our hair was the same length but I was not allowed to have french braids in my then blond locks. Though apparently my moustache and floppy large bow tie is a source of mirth today. We have hidden the tango pictures with roses in our teeth.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
the four who are myopic all elected to wear contacts for the day.

What's wrong with glasses?

I don't wear them myself, but (TMI alert) find them quite sexy.

There's nothing wrong with glasses. I find them quite sexy also, but suspect I wouldn't if I had to wear them. All I was thinking of is that the style of glasses frames do change quite markedly over the years. My parents-in-law both wear glasses and the ones my mother-in-law is wearing in her wedding photo are beyond ghastly, while my father-in-law is wearing the heavy-framed black ones that are just starting to come back into fashion, second time around...

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've spent the past couple of days laid-up with 'flu so thought I'd use the time constructively and go through old family photographs.

As well as the usual school, graduation and team pics there are lots of weddings. The dividing point seems to be around 1960: before that two-thirds of the grooms are in uniform, later than 1960 the military dress is less common.

My earlier thoughts about bridal wear are confirmed: dresses are full length, mainly with waist and all with at least elbow-length sleeves; some have trains; all brides have veils, nearly all wearing pearls.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's still following fashion just as much as modern bridal wear.

Personally if I got married (which is quite a large if!), I am unlikely to wear white or any other pale colour since they don't look great on me, and would not like to wear a veil since I have nice hair that I'd want to wear loose. Brides have more choice nowadays which is a good thing. Veils are actually relatively recent - in medieval times, women wore their hair loose to signify virginity (not that signifying virginity would be important to me). Also given that it's very likely that there would be two brides at my wedding, coordinating with my bride would be important [Big Grin]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016