homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » No Man's Land (Play)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: No Man's Land (Play)
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[NOTE: I hope this is the correct forum for stuff like this.]

Last night a friend and I went to see the Harold Pinter play No Man's Land. I must admit that I went with strong reservations even carrying a book and a small flashlight in case I really hated it. As usual, when attending some event that I think I'm going to hate, I ended up having an enjoyable evening.

So: what does this play mean? What's it about?

I assume it's about being old, losing memory, and being alone and helpless; but beyond that?

My friend, who is older and wiser than I, thought that maybe the visitor, Spooner, was an imaginary friend - an unreal figment of Hirst's imagination.

I ventured that it was about Hirst, growing old, losing his memory, feeling alone, and basically just waiting to die. Meanwhile he is attended by two characters who were deeply invested in the status quo. Spooner was either a new or old friend or just a random person met in a pub who tries to pull Hirst back into life.

("I'm in the last lap of a race that I long ago forgot to run." Or something like that.)

Or perhaps both of these are valid interpretations.

Any other thoughts?

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
[NOTE: I hope this is the correct forum for stuff like this.]...

Threads of this nature usually reside in Heaven so I'll pop it over there for you.

WW
AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not read much Pinter nor has my wife. Last stage play we saw was St. Joan in London a few years ago. Tell us more about it, please.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I adore Pinter. Have seen several, and read nearly all, of his plays.

That said, it may be a mistake, in my view, to dig too deeply into "meaning" and interpretation with his dramatic works. After all, theatre is written to be seen and heard, i.e., experienced. Leave the interpreting up to the directors and actors.

One of the things I appreciate most about Pinter is his incredibly sly way of sneaking the utterly outrageous up on us, feeding it to us bit by bit so that we accept the unspeakable as ordinary. I remember after seeing a production of [i]The Homecoming[i] twice how wild and undomesticated he sees so-called contemporary, civilized humanity. I love him precisely because he so precisely exposes the most basic, almost animalistic egocentrism that is also somehow our life force, at least as Pinter shows it to us.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016