homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New England in May - any recommendations gratefully received

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: New England in May - any recommendations gratefully received
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My partner and I are expecting to visit her relatives in MA during May/early June.

The plan is to spend a week or so with them in a resort (perhaps Rockport?) and then do our own thing before flying out from Boston. In that three weeks on our own we'd like to see/experience as much as is reasonable for a fairly active, retired couple with rented wheels. I doubt we will repeat the exercise. Current thinking is to establish three week-long bases from which to explore.

Any advice about what and where a couple of hard-boiled atheists who are into scenery, history, architecture, art (she is), museums and trains might enjoy themselves whilst there would be very much appreciated.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may or may not be your thing, but I spent a little time in Burlington, Vermont last June and had a lovely day riding the bike trail that runs along Lake Champlain and then into the Lake for a couple of miles (ie, you have water on either side of you). The lake trail is quite flat. There are a couple of connecting trails as well, some of them will have a bit more of a hill. Bicycles can be hired at 2 or 3 places in Burlington.

Boston itself is pretty great in my opinion. The Freedom Trail is definitely full of history, and the Boston Musem of Fine Arts is very good - especially as your ticket is good for 2 visits. And go to Harvard to see the glass flowers.

[ 13. January 2014, 01:10: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been several decades since I lived in the Boston Area but I think there are still things I can suggest with the caveat that you should check that they haven't vanished since I enjoyed them.

Spring is hard to predict. It can come and be lovely and green or switch from mud to hot and

Upper New England. The shore (Rockport) and the forests are both iconic. lobster, shore dinner and a fried clams are both good and the various chowders. Check RoadFood.com for inexpensive options on the highway.

I've not visited much of Vermont, which is a great state. If you are interested in the history of machine shops, check out the museum of American Precision

Boston has a lot of things, many organized for tourists. Durgin Park is a restaurant which has been around since the mid 19th century and has traditional cuisine from a time when tomato aauce was considered spicy. The Indian pudding and baked beans are both classic choices. It's in the Quincy marketplace which is touristy but worth wondering around. The downtown historical sites are organize into "The Freedom Trail" which are tourist sites with explanations. Boston is a heavily modified city and entirely created Back Bay, especially the architecture of Copley Square and the North End are worth wandering through. The Olmstead parks comprising the emerald necklace are worth walking starting with the Boston Common and the Public Garden. It's a lot easier to use the subway system downtown than drive since Boston drivers are notoriously bad.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
It's a lot easier to use the subway system downtown than drive since Boston drivers are notoriously bad.

And also because the subway system is an absolute breeze. Seriously, it was one of the best I encountered on my travels, mainly because there was clear and plentiful signposting. The morning after I arrived I was already hopping my way across town using multiple lines and not getting lost.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks folks

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My DP, who lived in Maine for over a decade, seconds the suggestion about visiting Vermont.

She'd also suggest Portland, ME, which is the most hip/cosmopolitan city in that state -- a great food scene, "cultcha," and scenic ocean views -- and some of the other little coastal resort areas in that vicinity.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Concord, New Hampshire very much. In the 19th century the Wells Fargo stage coaches were built in Concord and shipped west on flatcars.

They have a restored Concord coach at the Historical Society, which is in downtown Concord.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are you interested in? Some guidelines could make recommendations easier.

Besides what’s been mentioned, the USS Constitution is a must if you’re interested in naval history. There’s also a WW II destroyer there, and the battleship USS Massachusetts and several other ships are at Battleship Cove in Fall River.

Plimouth Plantation and Old Sturbridge Village are “living history” museums – Plimouth set in 1627 and OSV in the 1830s.

Both Lowell and the Blackstone Valley, from Worcester to Providence RI, have museums relating to the growth of American manufacturing.

Churches? Boston has several worth seeing, either because of their historical connections or architecture. Trinity Church Boston in Copley Square is lovely, in my opinion. Old North Church has connections to Paul Revere’s ride. Old South Church is where they met before the Boston Tea Party.

You will soon realize that you lot are the “bad guys” in a lot of Boston history. But it’s not always that simple: in a cemetery near Boston Common, several graves are marked with the Union Jack.

By all means, go to Vermont. One of my favorite things to do in Burlington in nice weather is to cross Lake Champlain on the ferry from there to Port Kent, NY. It’s relatively expensive by car, but they take walk-ons. If you do take the car, drive north towards Plattsburg, and take the Cumberland Head ferry back to Vermont. You’ll drive through the Champlain Islands, which I think is one of the nicest parts of the state.

The Shelburne Museum, just south of Burlington, is also fun.

If the weather cooperates, consider driving to the top of Mt Washington in New Hampshire, or Mt Mansfield in Vermont. (May could be early for that.) If you do, be prepared for VERY different weather at the top.

New England has a lot of strange things that only the locals know about. Go to Bristol, VT and see the Lord’s Prayer rock. Go to Derby Line and see the Haskell Opera House, with the stage in the US and the audience in Canada. Check out the Round Church in Richmond.

In Massachusetts, you could see the Spellman Museum of Stamps and Postal History at Regis College in Weston, MA, just west of Boston.

I could continue on for a long time, but you get the idea. Everything I've mentioned can be found online; rather than making the host's lives miserable with a bunch of links, I'll let you search for anything that interests you.

One last thought: contact the state tourism boards for information. They're happy to send maps and so on.

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016