homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I find that odd (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I find that odd
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was visiting the USA I found it odd that fellow diners would remove their jackets before eating but leave their hats on.

I'll admit that it was only a small minority that did this, but I have seen it in Arizona (Stetson) and Massachusetts (baseball cap).

I did not think it was wrong, just odd.

I'm sure that the way British people do things must seem odd to people of other cultures, (or even the correct way we do things in Yorkshire may seem odd to the rest of the UK.)

So what behaviours from other cultures do you find odd.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm used to it now, but when I first visited people Outside I was shocked to see people wearing shoes inside houses. Seemed super rude to me.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The eating in hats instance I've seen was when I worked in the Civil Service. There was a club of mainly female retirees who would come in occasionally to have lunch in the office canteen and reminisce about the old days among the Manila folders. The would doff their coats but retain hats and maybe the knotted silk square round the neck.

You would need to survey all hat-wearing classes - old ladies, cowboys, truck drivers or whatever - to ascertain whether the crucial factors were nationality, age, gender or something else.

[ 13. January 2014, 20:10: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ladies would often leave their hats on – it was an issue to do with hair, having worn a hat then taking them off left a messy head of hair..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

You would need to survey all hat-wearing classes - old ladies, cowboys, truck drivers or whatever - to ascertain whether the crucial factors were nationality, age, gender or something else.

Age. It's a generational thing. In the 1960s, in the Camelot days when our President had that fabulous head of Kennedy hair, hats (for men) went out of fashion. We had a whole generation of boys that grew up without them.

This first came up in church about 20 years ago when the youngsters started wearing baseball caps for more than just sporting events. Because their parents grew up not wearing hats, they were never exposed to the "rules" about when you
shouldn't wear a hat. The older folks were aghast when all these teens started wearing baseball caps to church-- but their parents were none the wiser. My response: *shrug*

The shoes thing is funny-- my grandmother was always the opposite-- she couldn't stand the idea of anyone walking around on her nice clean floors in their bare feet! *shudder*

But now that we are a nation of so many cultures, I find most everyone will just ask "shoes on or off?" when entering your home. The hat thing, though-- still a mystery to most of us, at least in California.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see old friends who've been living in the US for some years now offer to take their shoes off when they come to visit. We would none of us thought of doing that back in Ireland - what, after all, are doormats for?
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard various useful comebacks to some of these habits, and they may even have historical roots. For example, "It's OK to take your hat off in here - our roof doesn't leak". And, "You can take off your shoes in here - we don't keep the pigs in the house any more".

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There was a club of mainly female retirees who would come in occasionally to have lunch in the office canteen and reminisce about the old days among the Manila folders. The would doff their coats but retain hats and maybe the knotted silk square round the neck.

A lady removes her hat only in her own home . . . and, it must be added, her place of business.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
There was a club of mainly female retirees who would come in occasionally to have lunch in the office canteen and reminisce about the old days among the Manila folders. The would doff their coats but retain hats and maybe the knotted silk square round the neck.

A lady removes her hat only in her own home . . . and, it must be added, her place of business.
...in certain cultures, of course.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here shoes are NEVER worn in the house, the temple or the mosque and generally not in church but when we lived in the city and used to go to an Anglo-Indian parish not only were shoes allowed beyond the door but also men and women sat together!

Shocking!

In the two parishes we attend these days [one Latin Catholic and the other Syro-Malabar Catholic] the rule is men on the Gospel side and women on the Epistle side with the overspill of women at the back on the Gospel side.

eta: children move about and can go either side - they often wander between parents during mass.

[ 14. January 2014, 04:21: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always kick my shoes off when I get home. Not sure how that started, but possibly a simple desire to get rid of these cumbersome things on my feet and move around more easily. It's one of the reasons why I never wear trainers: I tried some on once and it felt like having my feet imprisoned.

Going barefoot in the grass on a dewy summer morning is one of life's small simple pleasures, as is walking along the beach (with the usual provisos of there being no litter, sharp objects, dog mess, etc etc).

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's something I haven't really seen in the Southern United States but only up north and sometimes, rarely, in the Pacific Northwest: Older women wearing hair curlers out in public! Oh, I used to see that in D.C. and Maryland all the time and had to restrain myself from screaming. Who wants to see some old crone with her old crone friends out and about, on public transportation sporting curlers all over their heads? Tacky! Do women in other countries do this?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, going out in curlers is prevalent amongst certain social classes in UK. I even got on a coach from Liverpool to London last year when I was over there and there was a woman in curlers on the bus.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wearing baseball caps backwards still seems rather popular. I know some people absolutely hate it but I always wear my baseball caps backwards, when I wear them. Just because it annoys people AND I just like the way they look on my head.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was somebody recently standing having a conversation with a friend outside Tesco’s, dressed in her nightie, dressing gown and slippers. In public in the street at nearly midday. I really hope that doesn’t catch on – it’s been known in other parts of the country but what utter laziness.

Also, not so long ago I saw a woman with her two kids one evening in the supermarket where she was dressed normally but the kids were in pyjamas and dressing gowns. If they’re ready for bed at 8 pm, why drag them out to the supermarket?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Hair in curlers used to be a norm in my childhood. It made me wonder when and where was this high day or holiday for which the hair was being so endlessly prepared.

I don't remember nighties in the street, but I do remember bedroom slippers as acceptable outdoor wear. (There's a wonderful riff on this in the opening paragraphs of Fludd)

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'm used to it now, but when I first visited people Outside I was shocked to see people wearing shoes inside houses. Seemed super rude to me.

You have to wear shoes inside your house in Australia so you can stamp on all the poisonous spiders and snakes.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
quote:

You have to wear shoes inside your house in Australia so you can stamp on all the poisonous spiders and snakes.
And cockies in this warm weather. I've seen only a couple in this place since I moved in almost three years ago. Seen about a dozen in last few weeks and have put down lure and kill baits.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Yes, going out in curlers is prevalent amongst certain social classes in UK. I even got on a coach from Liverpool to London last year when I was over there and there was a woman in curlers on the bus.

On the very, very rare occasion that I decide to curl my hair for some event, I use the old-fashioned method that requires leaving them in for hours instead of using a hairdryer. If I happen to want to run to the shops during that time, too bad! I do wrap a scarf on though.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

The shoes thing is funny-- my grandmother was always the opposite-- she couldn't stand the idea of anyone walking around on her nice clean floors in their bare feet! *shudder*

When I lived in the Czech Republic, most households maintained a collection of slippers by the front door for visitors' use.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No shoes in the house? But what about splinters? I can see that it might work if you had fitted carpets but not otherwise.

Of course, the issue of cold also comes up. So slippers are the norm in our house.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
Wearing baseball caps backwards still seems rather popular. I know some people absolutely hate it but I always wear my baseball caps backwards, when I wear them. Just because it annoys people AND I just like the way they look on my head.

What really makes me wonder is the fashion for wearing baseball caps forwards but tipped back [Eek!] In my view it seems to make the wearer look really stupid, though I couldn't tell you why - unless they would look equally dumb without?

Mrs. S, pondering

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think taking one's shoes off in someone else's house is a Far Eastern custom. I was asked to do so when I visited a Korean family a few years ago. They explained to me that 'this is what we do'.

If a visitor came to my house, took their shoes off and padded around in their socks or stockings, I'd be offended. I'd feel they were making themselves at home. It would be like inviting yourself to stay without being asked.

Women wearing curlers in the street, and anyone going shopping in their night clothes is gross, a clear statement that you aren't the sort of person who even wants to get invited to any parties, yet alone the best ones.

Despite the fact that photographs exist of both the late Princess of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge wearing them, even wearing a baseball cap the right way round makes a person look like a prat. Wearing one when driving is a clear warning to everyone else on the road, 'mobile traffic hazard on the loose'. But wearing one back to front! Fifth Mary, how can you imagine that it makes anyone look good? It sends out a clear message 'complete pillock underneath'!

Take it from me, free fashion advice. Don't.

[ 14. January 2014, 11:19: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a tropical country, visitors can take their shoes/sandals off and walk bare-feet in your house (they usually do in my house in Brazil). In colder countries, when they have to use socks, the smell can be a problem...

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know where wearing baseball caps backwards came from, but in the days before helmets were compulsory in cycle sport, competitors would wear caps forwards when riding into the sun and backwards when riding away from the sun to protect the back of the neck. On the grouse moors it is permitted to turn your flat cap backwards to give a better view of your shot. Where the idea of wearing a cap backwards when not taking part in a sport though is beyond me.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
But wearing one back to front! Fifth Mary, how can you imagine that it makes anyone look good? It sends out a clear message 'complete pillock underneath'!

Could be 5th Mary absolutely rocks the backward baseball cap look. One of the select few.

I think it would be polite to make that assumption, Enoch.

Firenze
Heaven Host

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think taking one's shoes off in someone else's house is a Far Eastern custom. I was asked to do so when I visited a Korean family a few years ago. They explained to me that 'this is what we do'.

Stops the dirt from the street from being tracked all through your house.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I wouldn't count us as being Far Eastern here in South Asia! It is also quite common for there to be a keendi or lota [a sort of jug thing with a spout] by the front door so that guests who wish to may wash their feet before they come in - one of the local kids always does this when he visits. When we first visited UK together Himself was shocked that people would walk into someone else's house in their shoes!

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Here's something I haven't really seen in the Southern United States but only up north and sometimes, rarely, in the Pacific Northwest: Older women wearing hair curlers out in public! Oh, I used to see that in D.C. and Maryland all the time and had to restrain myself from screaming. Who wants to see some old crone with her old crone friends out and about, on public transportation sporting curlers all over their heads? Tacky! Do women in other countries do this?

Who uses curlers any more??? Those went out with curling irons!

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
There was somebody recently standing having a conversation with a friend outside Tesco’s, dressed in her nightie, dressing gown and slippers. In public in the street at nearly midday. I really hope that doesn’t catch on – it’s been known in other parts of the country but what utter laziness.

Also, not so long ago I saw a woman with her two kids one evening in the supermarket where she was dressed normally but the kids were in pyjamas and dressing gowns. If they’re ready for bed at 8 pm, why drag them out to the supermarket?

A nightie would cause a stare, but here in So. Cal, wearing flannel pajama pants (with a t shirt of sweatshirt) is quite common among the young. It is pretty much the standard uniform for my college students, especially during exam season. I don't mind, given that they're actually more covered up than they were in previous fashions.

--------------------

Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hair in curlers used to be a norm in my childhood. It made me wonder when and where was this high day or holiday for which the hair was being so endlessly prepared.

I don't remember nighties in the street, but I do remember bedroom slippers as acceptable outdoor wear. (There's a wonderful riff on this in the opening paragraphs of Fludd)

And in mine. The women used to take them out just before their husbands arrived home from the pit.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If that is the case then hair curlers are the English equivalent to the hijab. That is what women wear to keep your best looks for their family. Of course I also suspect at least amongst younger women curlers are worn so to look their best while out on a Friday night.

Jengie

[ 14. January 2014, 15:17: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an old, anecdotal story from back in the 60s when pink curlers were worn everywhere -- of a bride who wore curlers to her wedding so that her hair would look nice for the reception.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Who uses curlers any more??? Those went out with curling irons!
Very much in use, actually! You can also get heated ones.

modern curling tongs

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There was a time when you used to see women in curlers, a scarf worn like a turban round the head and a cigarette dangling from one corner of the mouth, while they stood on their doorsteps, arms folded, to talk to each other and break off periodically to shout at the children. I thought all that had died out by the early 70s.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Hilda was still wearing them in the 1980s. However she was based on women from earlier decades.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

EXACTLY! or snow and ice melting and soaking into your floor.

if I were to walk into someone's house with my shoes on (without asking, in case there's some reason I need to.) an risk tracking wet and dirt and dog shit or whatever from the outside world, it would be like insulting the people who live there. like I don't care about their hygiene.

and we always keep spare slippers, but not everyone does. if you invite people into your home you're responsible for keeping your home warm enough and your floor clean enough for them to be comfortable. if for some reason you can't promise this, you tell them the moment they walk in that they should keep their shoes on, you're very sorry but the heater is busted/the toddler spilled applesauce/the dog chews sticks in the house, etc.

and if you're going to someone's home, you make sure to wear clean socks!

as Enoch said, it's obviously rude to take your shoes OFF elsewhere, so I just always ask when I'm outside of AK or the Yukon. crazy foreign customs. [Biased]

[ 14. January 2014, 18:28: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, I hate it when people wear shoes in our house, we have our own shoes in the porch which often acts as a hint, but as a reserved Brit I can't just tell people take them off! [Roll Eyes]

On the pyjama thing, I remember a few years ago one Tesco store banned people going in wearing them, caused uproar!

Some days when I change from my pyjamas into track suit bottoms and long sleeve T shirt I do wonder how different they are though!

[ 14. January 2014, 18:50: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

...and if you're going to someone's home, you make sure to wear clean socks!

Especially if you've spent all day cleaning fish, chasing hogs, or otherwise mucking about in your red rubber boots / wellies. PLEASE!

A boot bench in a covered entrance allows the more messy (or fragrant) footwear to be removed and left outside. We have some spare slippers by the front door, and thick wool socks are available on request for the comfort of our guests.

This is more a practical matter than cultural: while muddy boots were discouraged when we lived in a 100-year-old farmhouse with mottled brown carpet (surely chosen by a farmer's wife who knew what to expect), we still often wore shoes inside. But the new house has white carpeting throughout, and some contaminates are not sufficiently removed by a single doormat.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
comet: and if you're going to someone's home, you make sure to wear clean socks!
It's been a long time since I wore socks [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The not wearing shoes in someone's house is practical, at least here. Dust, bits of grit, mud and dirt cling to them and damage flooring and make it dirty.

In winter, boots come off, but people often wear shoes that are sort of boot like, and because it is frozen here for 7 months, the amount of snow tracked is small, except with fresh fallen snow, taking shoes off is 'sometimes'. But always if dirty.

Bare feet in summer? If they clean come in, if not, don't. Bare feet in winter? Typically only done if a quick trip out and in, and visitors don't do it.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Ooh, I hate it when people wear shoes in our house, we have our own shoes in the porch which often acts as a hint, but as a reserved Brit I can't just tell people take them off!

Before moving to the US, I had never encountered the idea of removing your shoes when you visited someone's house, and if you were expecting company in your own home, you would naturally be wearing decent clothes and shoes. Shoes didn't go upstairs, though.

In these parts, the norm seems to be that people remove their shoes if they are staying, but keep them on and hover in the entryway if they are just dropping off or collecting something or someone.

As Carex suggests, people with thick fluffy white carpets are rather more concerned about shoes than people with polished wooden floors.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know people who follow the custom of not wearing shoes in their homes, and one result is that there is often a large collection of shoes by the front door. It can be a bottleneck if they have guests: find your shoes and manage to put them on while several other people are waiting.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the few social conventions I miss from Miami is the kiss hello/kiss goodbye. My esperience was that is was not at all uncommon to give someone you had just met either an air kiss or a light kiss on the cheek instead of a handshake. I miss that living here.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I grew up in a social environment totally devoid of social kissing. I can remember as a child of about 5, visiting relatives in England, and being fairly bewildered by my great aunt kissing me Goodnight.

I'd say it still, in my present milieu, represents a sincere expression of affection between old friends rather than a mwah! mwah! darling! to comparative strangers. In fact, I can't remember any miscellaneous bussing other than on Hogmanay.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've notioed a change in workmens' habits with regards to shoes and boots. Some leave them on. Some take them off. Some now arrive with those plastic things with elastic to put on over their footwear. It doesn't seem to be connected with the likelihood of their dropping heavy stuff on their feet.
I'm going to have to clean the laminate tomorrow after the door fitters have finished.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

It's also because the floor is a major workspace where people chop veggies (on a board of course), lay out fabric for cutting, and so forth. Wearing dirty shoes on it would be rather likedoing the same on your kitchen counter.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember finding the shoe-removal thing odd when I went to Norway, especially as all the times I've been there have been in the summer and it didn't seem necessary.

Having now lived Somewhere Cold And Snowy™ for ten years, I can see why people do it in winter; it's to stop the floors getting wet. If I'm visiting somebody's house and my shoes/boots are wet, I'll usually take a pair of shoes to change into, although I wouldn't bother in the summer. I know several gentlemen who wear rubber over-shoes, and just remove them when they go to someone's house.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the American Midwest, a polite "Thank you" to a server or clerk will be met with a response of "Yep" and a thousand-yard stare. It's a bit uncanny. "You're welcome" or "No problem" would be my culturally-expected responses.

"Yep." Are you agreeing with me that you ought to be thanked?

It's especially odd given the usually overly-overly-friendly service that precedes it: the sort of over-friendliness that prompts the grumpier among us to contemplate buying and using mace.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that not wearing shoes might not just be a Far Eastern habit, but also a Far Northern one. As far as I know, all of Scandinavia demands that you take them off when entering a home, similar to Yukon and Alaska.

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016