homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I find that odd (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I find that odd
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
the secret is, nobody bathe. and when one does, we all do. So the weekly bath routine would work fine assuming we all bathed on the same day.

this message brought to you by rural Alaska. Come visit soon!

Worked well, I believe, for Queen Elizabeth I

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:

I'm not a great one for receiving on the tongue, but even if I did would still feel my hands needed a clean.

Out of interest, do you also sanitize your hands between tucking your chair in and eating your lunch? Or between greeting your friends in the church hall and getting to grips with a choccie hob nob?
Most of the time where I eat I don't need to, we have chairs round the side of our staff room, if I ever go to the canteen whatever I get I'm using cutlery for.
With a name like mine you think I greet people before having a bickie?! No no no, I'm first in line, no one to greet
[Biased] but I don't shake hands with people when I do (no one does, we say hello!).

Hand shaking during the peace was banned during the swine flu outbreak a few years ago and hand hygiene has massively cut hospital infection rates. At work we not only have to wash/sanitise our hands but do it in a certain way.

Piglet, I do agree, same with antibacterial house cleaners, I was bought up without 'em! I suppose frequent videos/teaching etc about bug transmission rubs off and having a household member who does need protecting from stuff means I want to avoid getting sick myself and passing it on.

Choccie (beginning to wish she hadn't started this)

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the general trend of the thread heretofore, we could shortly be on to foot washing.... (Do you wash your own feet, or wait for a passing pope?)
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I find odd here in the south-east of the UK is that when (a considerable number of people, but obviously not everyone) people in a small group decide to go out for lunch or 'coffee', they invariably go to a 'Garden Centre', as against a pub; restaurant / cafe or the local Sta*bocks or the like.

Mrs. Kat and her mother meet once a week and go out for a drive and then it approaches midday. "Shall we have lunch?" "OK, where shall we go ". "Let's go to Wibbledore's Garden Centre". Why? There's a perfectly lovely little cafe about half a mile away!

Would you go to a restaurant to buy plants or garden tools?

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never buy plants. If somebody gives me flowers, I give them to my wife. I never try to grow roses. I rarely water my orange tree. It needs a good trimming and an electric drip-watering system. I cannot be bothered to go out in the back garden on a regular basis!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:

Mrs. Kat and her mother meet once a week and go out for a drive and then it approaches midday. "Shall we have lunch?" "OK, where shall we go ". "Let's go to Wibbledore's Garden Centre". Why? There's a perfectly lovely little cafe about half a mile away!

Does the cafe have on site parking?

I can think of at least one large garden centre hereabouts where I'm not sure the plants aren't in a minority. There's not only the cafe/restaurant, but the farm shop and the play area and the butterfly world and an aquarium and the section selling floral tea towels and twee china. They aim to be Destinations - offering you lots more to spend money on than just a slice of quiche and a salad.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I reckon people use hand-sanitisers too much, for two reasons: (a) if we kill all the bugs our immune systems will forget how to fight them; and (b) the smell of some of them makes my eyes water.

Yes. I think a lot of illness and allergy is due to over-sanitised conditions. 'Tho I do tend to wear gloves on public transport to stop me catching a cold.

(sez me - who spends two days a week in a class of 35 small children, none of whom know how to cover their mouths when they sneeze!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They should forget about sanitised hands and sanitise the taps. Will someone not invent a self sanitising tap?

I find those "Now wash your hands signs sometimes found in pub and work toilets odd.

Let me explain. After using the toilet and cleaning yourself and adjusting your clothing you wash your hands. But it isn't that simple:

• You turn the tap on - there is no plug for the basin so you leave it running.
  • You wash your hands.
  • You then touch the tap WHICH YOU LAST TOUCHED WITH YOUR SOILED HAND to turn the tap off.
How can that be hygienic?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the garden centre thing, I go there fairly often for coffee or lunch, it has a fabulous restaurant with really nice food and yummy cakes. It also has a green grocers and bakery so is convenient to pick up some locally grown produce. It's also present to have a look around at the plants etc.

For the tap thing, I know what you mean although more and more switch off automatically. The thing I don't get is in a few places I've seen anti microbial coat hooks. Why?!

[ 26. January 2014, 12:43: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the garden centres may sometimes have been marginally cheaper - one of my local ones uses veggies from their own site (but has had an attack of accountants and reduced the range of foods on offer and the portions). The other one I haven't tried because it has gastropub prices. Not many local cafes (caffs, yes) or teashops. One got a write up in the county magazine and had as a selling point that she wouldn't serve solitary customers. (Could this be unlawful discrimination, or a hate crime or something?)
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this is freaking me out. You have restaurants in garden centers? I am imagining how far you'd need to place it from the manure bags...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Compost etc is usually in the outdoor bit. Garden centres often have loads more than plants though, they can have fresh produce, homewares, gifts, indoor play areas for kids etc.

I love em, popped into our local this morning for some veggies.

Some even have drive throughs for the heavy stuff, they pop it straight in the boot for you.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright this plan shows the sort of Garden Centre we are looking at. The manure is normally very separate from the restaurant; often as in this case in a separate building.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Okay, this is freaking me out. You have restaurants in garden centers? I am imagining how far you'd need to place it from the manure bags...

I consider the best garden centres, here in the UK, to be the ones that offer a Grand Day Out. We are fortunate to have one locally. You can buy tableware and crockery there, all sorts of gifts, cards, a limited range of books... Other sections have clothes, both the fashionable sort and the outdoorsy rugged sort, pet care, sweets, cakes, and a vast range of Christmas trees (real and artificial) and ornaments in season; also Santa's Grotto. There's a large restaurant where you can enjoy drinks, cakes, or a full blown meal, complete with a soft play area for the kids.

Oh, and some plants.

You could spend hours there. [Smile]

Nen - who has.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Yep, I'm with Nen, you can spend hours at them. Start with lunch, tootle round, have a coffee. I have done a fair amount of a Christmas shopping at ours. If only they'd put in wifi!
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the 'destination' comments and the 'spending hours there'... I am quite happy to do that. However, when all you want is a quick bite to eat... [Razz]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
One got a write up in the county magazine and had as a selling point that she wouldn't serve solitary customers. (Could this be unlawful discrimination, or a hate crime or something?)

At least they're up front about it. Many places pretend they don't have seats if you're a woman by yourself, try to make you sit at the bar, or pretty much ignore you. [Mad]
(Hint -- I'll be in and out of your precious restaurant a lot more quickly than a couple or group, and single women usually tip well if they're given decent service.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The manure is normally very separate from the restaurant

Normally?!? Remind me not to accept a lunch invitation to that centre! [Eek!] (Mind you, our nearest one burnt down before Christmas - perhaps someone was cooking the compost)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right near where mother M. used to live, there is a garden centre and we would go there just for the tea and wonderful cakes, made by the proprietor of the little on-site cafe. If we had a look around and bought a plant or looked at the little blacksmiths or wanted some manure, well, that was a bonus. But we went there for the cakes.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The manure is normally very separate from the restaurant

Normally?!? Remind me not to accept a lunch invitation to that centre! [Eek!] (Mind you, our nearest one burnt down before Christmas - perhaps someone was cooking the compost)
Yeah, because there is always the odd occasion when something does not function as it should. The occasion when a guy restocking manure has a heart attack outside the restaurant and leaves it there on a the trolley. Given that it is bagged up in thick sealed polythene bags the contamination risk is still very small.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This place is a splendid restaurant situated in a horticultural nursery not too far from us. Lovely on a summer's day! This place also gets a good reputation, though I haven't been there for years.

[ 26. January 2014, 15:01: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been to a garden centre to go to the cafe or for a day out and find it a little odd, but then I can't drive and also think it's probably an older person's activity.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local garden centre has a restaurant and free wifi.

I like to potter round, buy a plant or two, have a coffee the browse the (very expensive) pottery and crafts.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I've never been to a garden centre to go to the cafe or for a day out and find it a little odd, but then I can't drive and also think it's probably an older person's activity.

Are you a teenager? I spent several happy hours at our local one only yesterday, with my daughter. She's 24 and also goes up there with friends - those with small children play in the soft play area while the adults have coffee and chat. [Smile]

Nen - young at heart.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

Are you a teenager? I spent several happy hours at our local one only yesterday, with my daughter. She's 24 and also goes up there with friends - those with small children play in the soft play area while the adults have coffee and chat. [Smile]

Nen - young at heart.

I am 24. I just don't understand why you wouldn't go to a proper coffee shop? But then I don't have children and don't have local friends my age with children, and don't have any local garden centres accessible by public transport. I just think of garden centres as being for old people. Not even my parents visit them except for specifically buying plants or garden equipment, my parents would prefer to go to the pub. Perhaps it's a split between pub-goers and non-pub-goers? We've always been a pub-going family from my grandparents down.

It wouldn't occur to me to cater for children, although if children are in garden centres and not in my favourite coffee shop, that is a bonus for me [Biased] I go to coffee shops when I've been shopping in town, and sit in them with a magazine and a pastry or maybe use them for a lunchtime panini.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excuse me, I'm only 47 and I love garden centres! * They don't just sell plants - I've bought clothes and Christmas decorations there and they also have a small range of electrical goods at my local centre. My friend's wife is the chef there and her cakes are wonderful, so I make a point of going to the coffee shop.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 42. When I was taking lessons, I used to promise myself that one of the first places I would drive to on my own would be the local Haskins. **

* Suddenly realises that 47 probably sounds very old to someone in their twenties. [Hot and Hormonal]

** Other garden centres are available, but not so close to my house.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Crockery, cakes, electrical goods, clothing--Are you sure we aren't discussing a shopping mall with a wee place for plants attached to it???? And a drive-thru????

[Snigger]

Okay, now I REALLY want to go to one of these places and see for myself. So much more than the basic US "get your bulbs, weedwhacker and manure here."

[goes off to meditate on Pond differences]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[Killing me] Crockery, cakes, electrical goods, clothing--Are you sure we aren't discussing a shopping mall with a wee place for plants attached to it???? And a drive-thru????

Some of them are. One I sometimes go to (where I don't stop to have lunch, btw) has all that listed above plus a pick-your-own, a conference centre which can be rented out for weddings, a children's zoo that even includes emus, and a tiny funfair.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:

* Suddenly realises that 47 probably sounds very old to someone in their twenties. [Hot and Hormonal]

Tosh, Gran, you are not old.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
Excuse me, I'm only 47 and I love garden centres! * They don't just sell plants - I've bought clothes and Christmas decorations there and they also have a small range of electrical goods at my local centre. My friend's wife is the chef there and her cakes are wonderful, so I make a point of going to the coffee shop.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 42. When I was taking lessons, I used to promise myself that one of the first places I would drive to on my own would be the local Haskins. **

** Other garden centres are available, but not so close to my house.

Well my mum is 43 but I wouldn't say 47 is old.

I am just baffled as to why garden centres are so much more desirable to eat in than an actual cafe in a town/city centre? I am very baffled by a garden centre that sells clothing! All the things sold by garden centres that I've been to have been incredibly naff and twee, I can't imagine what the clothes would be like!

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm from the south-east of England and I've never heard of or imagined anyone going to a garden centre for lunch or to meet friends.

Coffee shops maybe, though they aren't really part of my culture. The place you go to socialise is the pub.

I tend to divide coffee shops (which in England are not the same thing as cafes) into three categories

- real ones, which are independent and not part of a branded chain and where the staff wear no uniforms and are almost always Spanish or Italian. They mainly exist in central London and overlap with sandwich bars. Mostly used by office workers buying lunch to take back to their desks. Often totally packed out a 1am and closed by 4. They have big old shiny esprrsso machines that still show their historical origins on the Italian railways. They can also make decent tea.

- fake chain coffee shops like Costa Lotta and Cafe Plastico. Staff wear uniforms and get minimum wage. Found in railway stations, franchised canteens in universities and motorway service stations, small towns where real local businesses have been murdered by Tescos, and in mid-market shopping malls and high streets. The espresso is often OK, the tea is crap, the food overpriced and oversweet, though alright for a hurried takeout breakfast if you are feeling flush.

- pretentious twat chains like Starfucks and, er, I assume there are others. Found everywhere. Customers mostly seem to be 19-year-old girls trying to look cool and wasted gay men with expensive clothes and Apple laptops. As far as I can tell they don't actually sell coffee so much as a variety of horrendously expensive mildly coffee flavoured milkshakes. I'm not completely sure as I've never been in one and never had occasion to either.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I'm from the south-east of England and I've never heard of or imagined anyone going to a garden centre for lunch or to meet friends.

Coffee shops maybe, though they aren't really part of my culture. The place you go to socialise is the pub.

I tend to divide coffee shops (which in England are not the same thing as cafes) into three categories

- real ones, which are independent and not part of a branded chain and where the staff wear no uniforms and are almost always Spanish or Italian. They mainly exist in central London and overlap with sandwich bars. Mostly used by office workers buying lunch to take back to their desks. Often totally packed out a 1am and closed by 4. They have big old shiny esprrsso machines that still show their historical origins on the Italian railways. They can also make decent tea.

- fake chain coffee shops like Costa Lotta and Cafe Plastico. Staff wear uniforms and get minimum wage. Found in railway stations, franchised canteens in universities and motorway service stations, small towns where real local businesses have been murdered by Tescos, and in mid-market shopping malls and high streets. The espresso is often OK, the tea is crap, the food overpriced and oversweet, though alright for a hurried takeout breakfast if you are feeling flush.

- pretentious twat chains like Starfucks and, er, I assume there are others. Found everywhere. Customers mostly seem to be 19-year-old girls trying to look cool and wasted gay men with expensive clothes and Apple laptops. As far as I can tell they don't actually sell coffee so much as a variety of horrendously expensive mildly coffee flavoured milkshakes. I'm not completely sure as I've never been in one and never had occasion to either.

Costa is actually genuinely Italian (or rather started in the UK by genuine Italians). Their coffee is certainly nicer than Starbucks whose coffee tastes burnt. Costa also pays all their taxes which is also good.

I am pretty [Confused] at the 'wasted gay men' comment. I see as many older people in Starbucks as I do younger people, they just have normal people in like any other coffee shop. I've never seen anyone who's 'wasted' in a coffee shop of any description, and wouldn't assume their sexuality anyway [Confused]

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Happens all the time round here...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would never occur to me to have lunch in a garden centre. If I'm going out for lunch I'd either meet at a pub or a restaurant, latter for preference.

And lunch is not comprised of something from the sandwich menu, thank you.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three within driving distance in NW Kent, which is, I think, in SE England. There're loads of them.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well my mum is 43 but I wouldn't say 47 is old.

I should hope not! What would you say about 60? [Biased]

These garden centers with food sound like something someone should try around here. That might be a money-maker for the big box hardware/garden center stores. The hubby happily looks at routers and lumber, and the wife sits with a coffee or tea and has a sandwich. (Or in the case of several of my friends, the wife is the one admiring the routers and cabinets and such.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For us it's often a Bank Holiday standby - weather's not looking too good, nothing specific to visit, let's go out to the garden centre and we'll have lunch there as well. We often go to one which has a tent/camping centre as well ("Let's get another tent!") and other places as well, though we have resisted the temptation of a hot tub and a conservatory to put it in!

The clothes and other goods can be on the naff side of twee, but it's a decent time out of the house that isn't a shopping centre or similar. And it usually gives me my annual kick up the bum to do a little bit or gardening and fill some pots with plants (I generally have the same effect on plants as Herod had on small children, so this is only an occasional urge!)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
They should forget about sanitised hands and sanitise the taps. Will someone not invent a self sanitising tap?

I find those "Now wash your hands signs sometimes found in pub and work toilets odd.

Let me explain. After using the toilet and cleaning yourself and adjusting your clothing you wash your hands. But it isn't that simple:

• You wash your hands.
  • You then touch the tap WHICH YOU LAST TOUCHED WITH YOUR SOILED HAND to turn the tap off.
You turn the tap off with a bit of paper towel. This method is explicitly taught on some public "wash your hands" signs here.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
You then touch the tap WHICH YOU LAST TOUCHED WITH YOUR SOILED HAND to turn the tap off. How can that be hygienic?

You turn the tap off with a bit of paper towel.
Motion-activated taps seem to be the thing nowadays. I can't remember the last time I encountered one where you had to turn the water on/off by hand.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am just baffled as to why garden centres are so much more desirable to eat in than an actual cafe in a town/city centre?

They are easy to get to, because they are generally not in town centres, and they have lots of free parking, which you don't find in town centres. I think it's true to say that garden centres are almost entirely aimed at suburban and rural car users.

I appreciate that's not much help to you as a non-driver.

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Practically very self respecting nursery in Sydney has a coffee shop attached. I guess it is a big money spinner as they usually sell fancy gardening goods and other bits and pieces.

Coffee is very often quite good and meals are served. Nothing fancy, just convenient. Surroundings are pleasant.

Few people down here would go to Starbucks. That is why there are few Starbucks in Sydney or Australia to actually go to. Around 90% of them were closed some years ago because of lack of patronage. Just as well too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

• You wash your hands.
You turn the tap off with a bit of paper towel. This method is explicitly taught on some public "wash your hands" signs here.
No paper towels, they have been replaced by air blowers which are not strong enough to dry your hands.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Practically very self respecting nursery in Sydney has a coffee shop attached. I guess it is a big money spinner as they usually sell fancy gardening goods and other bits and pieces.

Coffee is very often quite good and meals are served. Nothing fancy, just convenient. Surroundings are pleasant.

Few people down here would go to Starbucks. That is why there are few Starbucks in Sydney or Australia to actually go to. Around 90% of them were closed some years ago because of lack of patronage. Just as well too.

In fairness, Australia and NZ have their own coffee cultures to rival those in continental Europe or US cities like Seattle or NYC - NZ even invented the flat white. The UK doesn't have that, and hasn't since the coffee houses of the 17th Century. We've had cafes (more food focused) and quaint little tea shops until Italian immigrants after WWII brought in Italian-style espresso bars, and it took US brands like Starbucks to make coffee ubiquitous. I still know lots of people in the UK who don't drink coffee at all and only drink tea.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Killing me] I love it!

"I've never been in one so I know they are terrible!"

Mrs. S, mother of a Starbucks devotee aged 29

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember walking to meet someone at a Starbucks in New York City. I passed two other Starbucks on the way there.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, the Australian Starbucks site indicates just 24 stores in Australia now, and they're only in Sydney, Melbourne and the region around Brisbane (including the Gold and Sunshine Coasts).

Apparently there about 11,000 of them in the USA.

[ 27. January 2014, 12:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I remember walking to meet someone at a Starbucks in New York City. I passed two other Starbucks on the way there.

Reminds me of this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I was just reminded of another American import that failed here, Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Similar strategy and similar failures. And interestingly, still existing in almost exactly the same locations as Starbucks is still existing.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Krispy Kreme does not exist in Canada, to my knowledge. I only wish that I could say the same for *$$. An overpriced cup of burnt tasting coffee... I ignore them.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Krispy Kreme does not exist in Canada, to my knowledge. I only wish that I could say the same for *$$. An overpriced cup of burnt tasting coffee... I ignore them.

Ahh, but it does! I've looked at them but can't bring myself to eat one. They just look sooooo greasy. But I have friends who have gone to great lengths to get them here and eat a dozen at a time! Personally, I love going to Starbucks for the atmosphere but, as I don't drink coffee or eat the sweets, I mostly only go for the atmosphere.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016