homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I find that odd (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I find that odd
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the type of place - although they can be very much bigger and more elaborate.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
This is the type of place - although they can be very much bigger and more elaborate.

M.

We do have some high-end nurseries such as this here in US that look like that, but to my knowledge none that serve food. A great idea, though.

[ 31. January 2014, 14:32: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pond difference I expect.

We know most of the local nurseries as we ran one ourselves. None that I know of have a tea room or cafe (though a couple of the larger nurseries take enough time to tour that it might be worth adding one.) On hot days we provided cold water bottles free for our customers.

But my guess is the difference has more to do with beverage habits: Americans would arrive with drink in hand from a drive-through expresso kiosk rather than stopping for a proper cup of tea.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the menu for the one I have patronised in the past. Greencafe

However, I notice that the accountants have been in again. It used to offer things like chicken in mushroom sauce, vegetarian lasagne, shepherds pie and a dish of the day, so there was a good choice of hot meals. The pies now are in individual dishes, with more crust than filling.

And here is the one I don't go to - note absence of prices. Twig and Spoon

And this one is a bit further away, daily variations, no choice. More crowded, more "where are the plants?" Polhill, above Sevenoaks

With its own medieval chapel. Can't answer for the food. No prices again. Ruxley

Not just sarnies

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And this one is a bit further away, daily variations, no choice. More crowded, more "where are the plants?" Polhill, above Sevenoaks

[/QB]

Their sister garden centre is near here and includes the village general store and post office as the original high street one was closed down a few years ago and Polhill decided to take it on. So that garden centre is very much the centre of village life.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Here's the menu for the one I have patronised in the past. Greencafe

However, I notice that the accountants have been in again. It used to offer things like chicken in mushroom sauce, vegetarian lasagne, shepherds pie and a dish of the day, so there was a good choice of hot meals. The pies now are in individual dishes, with more crust than filling.

And here is the one I don't go to - note absence of prices. Twig and Spoon

With its own medieval chapel. Can't answer for the food. No prices again. Ruxley

Not just sarnies

Wow - how fancy! I feel a bit too common to go to places like that [Biased]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours serves wine too [Big Grin]
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Pond difference I expect.

We know most of the local nurseries as we ran one ourselves. None that I know of have a tea room or cafe (though a couple of the larger nurseries take enough time to tour that it might be worth adding one.) On hot days we provided cold water bottles free for our customers.

But my guess is the difference has more to do with beverage habits: Americans would arrive with drink in hand from a drive-through expresso kiosk rather than stopping for a proper cup of tea.

We have espresso machines as well as tea pots.

That's how it started in the UK. They started out as places where you could have a drink and cake between looking at the nurseries and looking at the light gardening implements like axes and chainsaws. They got popular and grew. Now they are a major part of the garden centres budget.

What started as a way to help the customer becomes a major money spinner.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

We do have some high-end nurseries such as this here in US that look like that, but to my knowledge none that serve food. A great idea, though.
Bachmann's in Minneapolis. Yes, THAT Bachmann family, but only via a couple of marriages.

[ 31. January 2014, 21:17: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those interested...
Bachman's

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Their sister garden centre is near here and includes the village general store and post office as the original high street one was closed down a few years ago and Polhill decided to take it on. So that garden centre is very much the centre of village life. [/QB]
I wondered if they were connected - it's a bit of a leap from a place actually called Polhill in Kent up to Cambridge. Millbrook has leapt from Crowborough in Sussex to Gravesend. The other two are standalones.

And Jade, I wouldn't say any of them are not aimed at working class, if that's what you mena by common! Mind you, I didn't include the one with cabaret evenings as it didn't have a menu on its web site. (And some other reasons.)

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Their sister garden centre is near here and includes the village general store and post office as the original high street one was closed down a few years ago and Polhill decided to take it on. So that garden centre is very much the centre of village life.

I wondered if they were connected - it's a bit of a leap from a place actually called Polhill in Kent up to Cambridge. Millbrook has leapt from Crowborough in Sussex to Gravesend. The other two are standalones.

And Jade, I wouldn't say any of them are not aimed at working class, if that's what you mena by common! Mind you, I didn't include the one with cabaret evenings as it didn't have a menu on its web site. (And some other reasons.) [/QB]

Haha I wasn't being quite so specific as saying they're not for the working classes, I just prefer a pub or a greasy spoon - I have common tastes, is what I meant [Biased]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're a bunch of elderly cousins who regularly gather for lunch at a cafe next to a Council library but not connected to it (our original venue was at the cafe situated in the City Library building).
Last week the cafe was temporarily closed so we went to the MitreTen Mega cafe in the same town, and had an excellent lunch. Mitre Ten Mega are hardware, timber, everything for the do-it-yourself home handyman, household stuff (kitchen and bathroom stuff, you name it) and garden supplies, and all have cafes, of which our is reputed to be the country's best.
It was very good but we'll be glad to get back to our friends at the Library cafe – they don't mind if we break into songs of the 50s.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016