homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What are we going to eat tonight? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What are we going to eat tonight?
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard an interesting snippet on the radio the other day. Apparently, on any given weekday between 3pm and 5pm, 30% of people (or was it households?) have no idea what they are going to be eating for their meal that evening. In other words, a significant proportion of the population do not really do meal planning.

I find this weird, as I am one of those people who can normally not only tell you what is on the menu for tonight, but also a rough idea for the next few days. But then I am one of life's planners. My partner finds my detailed approach to forthcoming arrangements (not just meals, but speaking more generally) somewhat infuriating at times.

When I was a student, I lived with someone even more rigid than myself. On a Saturday morning we would sit down with a piece of paper, decide on meals each day for the forthcoming week, then do the bulk of the shopping that day, a week in advance. This is seriously unusual I know, especially for students! But it helps to make sure you don't waste food by buying things that then get forgotten at the back of the fridge and go out of date before you have eaten them!

I do like to make sure leftovers, and food approaching 'use by' dates, gets consumed in a timely manner. So that's probably the driver behind my meal planning now - an awareness of what needs eating, or what we fancy, or something that would go with something else we have left over, then prepare or buy the necessary bits a day or two in advance, or on the same day. But almost without fail, by 3-5pm, I DO know what meals I will be preparing that day.

What other approaches do people take? Do you make an effort (like me) specifically not to waste food? Are there other drivers that determine your eating habits?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's 30% of people, this statistic is quite easily explained by the number of people who will have their evening meal prepared by someone else.

Unless we are running low on food or have something close to its use-by date that needs to be eaten that day, I usually have a couple of alternatives in mind and consult the other members of the household about which they would prefer when Daughter arrives home from school. When we're on a self-catering holiday I plan the meals more carefully, because we need to make sure we don't buy too much food to eat before we leave the place we're staying and go home; but even then I don't bother sorting the meals into a rigid order. The world is not going to end if we have pizza on Wednesday instead of Thursday.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't generally plan meals, other than knowing what is in the fridge/cupboard and the relevant use by dates. I'll usually start thinking about it around 5pm (we eat at 6pm) unless it is something I've decided in advance because of an occasion or something needs using up. Sometimes I use the slow cooker in the morning but that is also usually a spur of the moment thing in the morning.
I am in the house all day so can spend more time preparing food if I wish but I am relaxed about this. If I was out all day I probably wouldn't think about it until I arrived home in the evening. I am a good cook and very flexible so could make a meal with whatever we have in.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We plan our six or seven meals for the week, but not which days we'll have them on. So in terms of the survey mentioned in the OP I wouldn't know what I'm having for dinner that evening, but I would know what the available options were.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Were Embra to be surrounded by a besieging army, I could probably manage for quite a while on what I have in the freezer/cupboards.

Usually there is some ingredient which is what I fancy, or needs to be used up. (At the moment it's bacon). I Google that until I find a recipe that appeals and more or less corresponds to what I have in hand, or am prepared to shop for.

So today I just need to toddle out and acquire some liver and a neep.

However tomorrow is, as they say, another day.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post 
I don't know what I will be having for lunch in an hours time let alone what I will be having for dinner. Sometimes I don't even know what I will be having while I am cooking it. Last night's bolognese became a beef balti half way through cooking when I found that I had no tomatoes left. Balti with pasta is interesting but not unpleasant.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:

When I was a student, I lived with someone even more rigid than myself. On a Saturday morning we would sit down with a piece of paper, decide on meals each day for the forthcoming week, then do the bulk of the shopping that day, a week in advance. This is seriously unusual I know, especially for students! But it helps to make sure you don't waste food by buying things that then get forgotten at the back of the fridge and go out of date before you have eaten them!

Do you know my sister? The story goes that once my sisters cleaner reset the oven while cleaning and the dinner burnt. My sister had major problems with this as she had no back up plan. Yes she did this as a student as well.

I have a plan, but not nearly as detailed as basically I have days when I need to go with the flow. Main meal today is soup and sausage roll, tomorrow is soup and a garlic roll with a sausage roll at another time (or maybe a veg and rice if I want to cook). Sunday is now salmon. I have a rough idea for the rest of the week and will play by ear.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a time in my past when I spent Friday evening preparing meals to be stored in the fridge for the following week, to be slow cooked overnight in the top oven or batch baked in the lower one. I had a cookery book based on these principles. I also did meals prepared to be cooked with an automatic timer when my friend was doing field work for his thesis.
Haven't felt like it for ages. Waitrose has such nice ready meals which get quite cheap when reduced.
Tonight I'm supposed to be eating salad with coronation chicken. Pre-prepared salad because I've got fed up of buying cucumbers which go off.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I usualy know what will be for dinner because meals are planned, but not so rigid that unexpected guests (or absences) cause havoc.

The children have also been brought up to write a shopping list and plan meals - with flexibility built in around the smaller meals of the day.

An old-fashioned store cupboard is the key to being able to cope with the unexpected: it needn't be large but we try to ensure that it contains the ingredients for at least two complete main courses. And the freezer makes that a whole lot easier too, especially if you make a couple of sauces (or similar) that can go with a variety of accompaniments.

Tonight? The last of the stuff from when the children were home that needs eating up, so: stir-fried vegetables (red cabbage, celery, raddish, carrot, mushrooms) with rice noodles, beansprouts and scallops, with baked apple and natural yoghurt to finish.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another planner here. When we were badly-off newly weds, Macarius & I got into the habit of planning all meals for the following week. We continue to do that, but probably a bit more flexibly.

And like Firenze, we could probably feed ourselves for a decent length siege out of what we have in cupboards and freezer, particularly at the moment, with Christmas stuff still hanging around.

But tonight we're out straight after work to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, and will eat first, so I don't know yet what I will be eating!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cook most of my main meals at home, often quite late at night. Usually I decide what to cook when I get to the kitchen. Which means its very often rice and vegetables... easy, quick, cheap, and I like it. That's what I had on Monday or Tuesday.

If I make a meal around some piece of meat or other central dish or whatever - which I will do maybe once a week, twice at most - I might know what that is, because I will have had to buy it specially, but the other things will be decided on the spot. On Wednesday night I grilled a partridge. Obviously I knew I had a dead partridge in my fridge. But I might have eaten it the day before, of the day before that if I hadn't decided I wanted to cook rice at the last minute. Well maybe not on Monday as that would have been meaty meals two days in a row.

I had celery and mushrooms and onions with the partridge, and some bread. That was decided after I'd started cooking. Not a hard choice, as I always have onions in the kitchen, and usually have celery and mushrooms. But I had been thinking of cooking pasta for the starchy part of the meal but decided I couldn't be bothered when it came to it. And rice didn't seem to go with it, and I didn't have any potatoes, so bread it was.

But planning days in advance? Too much like hard work. Maybe if feeding a big family you'd have to. But for one or two or even three there seems little point. Too stressful, a waste of time and effort. Better and simpler and easier just to keep in standard fresh stuff like vegetables and bread; also the usual cupboard things like flour, and dried herbs, and spices, and Marmite, and pulses, and noodles; have some tins and frozen food in case you need them; and buy more special things as and when.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
15 plus years ago when I was cooking for a household of 10 (don't ask!) and teaching full time the whole week's menus were planned and shopped for on a weekly basis but with flexibility for absences and additions. It made for a more economical and less stressful existence as I could plan something easy for the evening I was late back from school staff meetings.
That approach is still my default when I have large numbers of family/ friends staying.

But I am now relishing being able to decide on the day what to cook from what I have in the house. So yes I always know on the day what I'm cooking but come at it from different angles.

Pasta and salad tonight. (A staple which has become a treat as pasta is expensive here!)

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unless I'm craving something that takes a long time to cook or prep, I'm not a planner at all. I have no earthly idea what I'm going to fix for supper 10 hours from now. We have a friend who is the meat manager at a large grocery store who hooks us up with bulk meat when it's going on special. As a result, we have enough meat to feed a medium sized army in the chest freezers in the shed. Around 3 pm today, I will play "meat roulette" and open a freezer and randomly pull something out. That will be the basis for the evening meal. I think it makes me more creative in the kitchen...but that's just me....

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Depends on a) if i am eating alone' b) cooking for others or c) got as busy day with little time to cook.

So port chops tonight with a friend; corned beef hash tomorrow with the curate; steak and chips Sunday as little time to prepare anything fancy.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know people frequently comment about home cooked meals and their mothers. Well, my mother was truly horrid as a cook. She liked to get a frying pan, put an inch of water in it and stand tin cans of pea or beans, stew or some pasta thing in it and heat them up. Saved on dishes I guess. We also only had powdered milk and orange juice. Eggs were a special treat.

Thus in reaction I cook just about everything from basic ingredients. So tonight I will ride home from work (hope to be home about 5:30) and use yesterday's left over squash to make gnocchi, sauce of tomatoes, basil and goat cheese, and probably sautéd bok choi with a bit of bacon. Though I may opt for broccoli with more goat cheese if the powers that be so suggest. And some beer will be poured into the cook as well. Because it is Friday.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We cook night-about (was better when the 3 chilldren were also at home and rostered!!)

We have basically the same thing in winter ( a vego stew based on lentils and a grain which varies) and summer (an ommlette and a mutli-veg salad with dressing of vinegrette or lemon)
Fridays are special - brocolli quiche, rice with dried fruits and pine-nuts, green beans (garden then frozen for the year), a carrot thing we are fond of with ginger, aubergine and tahini, sweet potato with amazing sauce and maybe a home-invented-during the 2004 Olympics salad called Usain Bolt if there is mango or frozen mango.
Saturday mornings an eggy tomato onion fry up with greenies salad.

So things vary but not much. Occasionally I make pasta (with the same tomato-lentil sauce) if requested. Once a year partner makes the matza eggy thing his Grandfather taught him.

If I am under stress (eg when I looked after my mother) I cook the same exact thing every night - lentil-barley-miso stew with varied veg. I can eat it for 8 weeks but usually do something else for Fridays.

We (as a family) like to know where we are.
We do not like surprises or exotica
We (as cooks) like to hear "Oh you've made that again. I really like the way you do it"

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the book French women don’t get fat it says that before you eat anything, ask yourself the question “what do I really want to eat?” Don’t just eat as an automatism, spend a couple of minutes thinking about whether you’re really hungry and what you really want. This approach shouldn’t necessarily end up in eating unhealthy stuff either, if you once develop good habits – this lunchtime after a bit of thinking I realised that I really wanted to go that Asian place where they have the chicken salad/dim sum/vegetable soup option which is quite low calorie and full of healthy vitamins. Your body will start telling you what it needs. Sometimes I really, really want a cheeseburger so I eat one and don’t feel guilty about it.

This “what do I really want?” thing is the reason that I never do a lot of grocery shopping or plan out meals very far ahead of time. I just don’t know that far ahead what I’m going to want to eat so if I do a lot of shopping in advance, either I cook the stuff anyway and don’t enjoy it because it’s not really what I want any more, or I buy something else and the first thing sits in the fridge going to waste. Consequently I shop in small amounts, often on the way home, and buy the thing I really want that night. Also I am one of those people who lose their appetite when stressed/tired/upset etc. and one of the ways I make sure that I eat properly is by cooking something that really appeals to me. If I’m on my way home exhausted, and I know that the meal I have in the fridge is not something I really want to eat, I’ll just go to bed without eating anything, and that’s a bad thing.

I admit that this is much more workable for a single person than for a family. Also I live in a big city where it’s easy to pick a few things up on the way home.

Tonight I don’t know what I’m eating because it’s someone else cooking it. Strangely, when a meal is prepared by someone else, I don’t have the same “don’t feel like eating this” reaction. I think it’s some emotional thing about not having to go to all the effort.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I only have one shelf of fridge space so can't really have more than 2 days' of supplies. So I only plan a few meals in advance.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since already prepared type meals are not really available where I live I've had to get used to making lots of meals from scratch. But I'm still in the "make it up as I start cooking" camp. I'll often get some meat out of the freezer at lunch time but often have not actually decided what to do with it until I start cooking. There is a vegetable shop and a small grocery shop just across the street and I quite regularly send someone in the family to get something I decide I want but don't have in the house while I am in the process of cooking!
If we have guests coming I will normally have thought during the day what I plan to cook, but I don't plan ahead much.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having guests for dinner on Sunday, and have just emailed them a photo of the recipe to check there are no allergies or major dislikes!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with La Vie and Bob Two Owls. It would be impossible to plan meals for a week, I'd never stick to it, even if I could carry a week's worth of stuff home. And I have no idea what I want for dinner next Friday night. The words "impulse buyer" describe me well.

On a weekday night it's often easier just to either shove something in the microwave or have something-on-toast, especially if I've had lunch out. Sometimes I just get cravings for, as it might be, toasted cheese and pickle, beans on toast, bacon sandwiches, etc etc.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Toast... [Yipee]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do almost 100% of our shopping at what passes for Tesco in our neck of the woods. I get six entrees which are half ready meals and half dinner sausage. I buy two or three packets of salads and occasionally Brussels sprout. I get ice cream bars for myself as Z has told me that hers need to be lower in carbs. A package of Farmer John hot dogs, one bottle of California wine and six pints of Dutch lager top off the order.

I buy breakfast food like bacon and eggs and cheese sporadically. I get breakfast sausage, Z's ice cream bars and freshly grind the coffee we like at Safeway.

I like Waitrose and shopped there when we lived for a week in a holiday flat in London.

We generally go out for a meal once a week and I have the same lunch everyday when I am working downtown (salmon cream cheese on a bagel with several glasses of ice tea) or a school lunch if I'm not. I keep an emergency Atkins bar or two in the Ford's glove box in case what's on offer at school is unpalatable or way off our Atkins diet, which I admit we have modified a wee bit over the last twelve months....

That said, my wife lost well over three stone last year and I lost about half of that and kept most of it off.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in charge of food chez Nen and I tend to buy and cook the same things most weeks as I know how much time I've got on a particular day, given that I need to work round the comings and goings of the two other people in the house. Consequently I usually know what's on the menu for the next couple of days, although I have been known to have desperately uninspired moments and ask friends or people at work what they're having for tea.

Tonight is easy though - Saturdays are always stir fry days. [Yipee]

Nen - Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No one seems to have mentioned the core determinant in meal planning - white or red?
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are at present in a chilly Vienna, so the answer to that is easy - red. This time of year at home, we eat a lot of seafood, so white's the rule.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to admit I have sometimes chosen the wine first and then the food to go with it (I think that might be what Firenze had in mind).

You know how it is. You look through your wine collection, musing: "I'd forgotten I had that, let's get that one out. Now what can I eat with that?" and then go shopping for food.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

One thing that pins Saturday dinner to either beef or lamb, is that is the night of the Big Red - some 14% stoatter from the new world or Iberian peninsula. By the same token, Sunday is usually fish and a light white, since (some of us) have to get up for work on Monday.

Monday tends to be sausages. Tuesday pasta. Wednesday something a bit more special (in recognition of having made it thus far through the week). Thursday curry. Friday ohgodhowshouldiknow.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Friday night is often takeaway night. On a cold winter's night, fish and chips, tightly wrapped in layers of paper, are a good thing to take home. The heat spreading through the paper keeps your hands warm, too. A cheap and cheerful Chinese takeaway has also brightened up many a Friday night.
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We normally buy a selection of things we like, enough to last the week or so and eat approximately in order of what we fancy that night / what is going out of date.

I'm back on the Dukan diet now though (no sugar or carbs essentially) which does mean a bit more planning is needed - no more bunging a spud in the microwave for lunch or light dinner, or picking up a sandwich while out and about.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
No one seems to have mentioned the core determinant in meal planning - white or red?

I thought you were talking about wine! Here, it's always red such as Aussie pinot noir from Lindemans or off-brand California cab sauvignon.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Tonight is champagne, accompanying scallop and chorizo in a citrus sauce with rosemary roast potatoes. Because it's MY birthday, and that's what I fancy.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

White before. Red during.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Martini before. Wine(s) appropriate to food. Little something.
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was gin or champagne before?

Happy birthday Firenze, sounds like a lovely meal.
[Yipee]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Martini before. Wine(s) appropriate to food. Little something.
Is that Martini or a Martini?

btw, what wine with Indian food? I find Chablis is good and it can make Ozzy Chardonnay drinkable, provide the stuff isn't over-oaked as seems the fashion. Definitely dry, full bodied white though.

eta: Added M fer Sis.

[ 18. January 2014, 14:25: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

How many Martinis do you usually have before dinner?

quote:
btw, what wine with Indian food?
Gewürztraminer can go well. Or Hungarian Furmint if you can find it. Rieslings or Pinot Gris if you can't.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My husband does all the cooking in our house and he's very good at it. He makes everything from scratch, no bought sauces etc.

He has no idea what he's going to cook before he goes into the kitchen at 5pm. He then opens the freezer and decides what's on the menu.

He buys a huge variety of veg and uses whatever takes his fancy. Every few days the left over veg is made into soup.

I do all the clearing up and washing up. If I do have to cook because he's away I use the slow cooker as I don't mind cooking in the morning but can't face a pot or pan after midday.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stewed rhubarb with no-fat yoghurt, angelica, rolled oats and as little sugar as I can get away with. Possibly chocolate custard with banana. A licorice bar.

I'm feeling under the weather and my insides are not working to the usual plan.

I had a proper lunch. Chicken and ham hock gratin. Though not many veggies. Clementines. Almonds. Licorice.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Red. It's always red. [Biased] Even when Nenlet1 is at home, as she's got the taste for it now, having been a white or rose only girl for years.

Nen - grateful of the reminder to open tonight's bottle to breathe before starting to cook the stir fry.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I usually get meat, fish etc in Marks and S, as there I get food that just need to be warmed up and not doing a lot of cooking. I also have vegetables with it and that's nice.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

How many Martinis do you usually have before dinner?

One, but you haven't seen my cocktail glass!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I not only like to have all my ducks in a row, but lined up according to increasing shades of yellow, I have all dinners planned unto eternity -- or at least till I die and the men folk default to a steady diet of pizza.

I have the same seven dinners every week. They're posted on the refrigerator and if we forget what day it is we know, if it's Mexican it must be Tuesday. It's easy to shop that way. They're all healthy meals and ones we all like. The vegetarian in the family has no trouble with them.

We express our wildsides at lunch.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Since I not only like to have all my ducks in a row, but lined up according to increasing shades of yellow, I have all dinners planned unto eternity -- or at least till I die and the men folk default to a steady diet of pizza.

I have the same seven dinners every week. They're posted on the refrigerator and if we forget what day it is we know, if it's Mexican it must be Tuesday. It's easy to shop that way. They're all healthy meals and ones we all like. The vegetarian in the family has no trouble with them.

I grew up to a menu like that and I liked it. It was reasuring somehow to know what I was coming into school from, and it was always good wholesome food.

Don't know why I don't do it myself

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Red. It's always red.

What? Even for Sole Veronique ?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A light red can be chilled to go with fish.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Oily fish, possibly. But with sole, sea bass, cod, bream, hake, scallops, mussels, haddock, turbot, monkfish, shrimp, oysters, lobster, John Dory - no. No. No.
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

I grew up to a menu like that and I liked it. It was reasuring somehow to know what I was coming into school from, and it was always good wholesome food.

Don't know why I don't do it myself

I did too, as it made shopping easier for my mum. I can't cope with that degree of rigidity though.

At the moment, meal planning revolves around buying a large lump of meat on a Saturday, roasting it for Sunday lunch and then seeing how much of it is left for the rest of the week, or how many veggie/fish days we'll be having.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I generally don't know what I'm having for dinner until I open the fridge and see what I've got in there.

(If I know I don't have any veg I will stop at the greengrocer's on he way home.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:

Happy birthday Firenze, sounds like a lovely meal...

[Big Grin]

So what did you lot have for dessert on Saturday? I had a lovely bottle of pinot noir and a low-carb chocolate ice cream bar, just now.

[Snigger]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016